• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

So... the new veggie I tried was okra!  I've eaten it before, but never cooked it.  I've pretty much hated it every time I've eaten it and decided to try it for myself (with one of those "recipes for people who hate xyz ingredient" recipe...) and.... it was still kinda gross :( I just can't get over the slimy!

figure-it-out-slime-of-the-week-8-max-sc

I did make an awesome new recipe though. Thai curry vegetable and tofu soup.  I used green curry paste instead of red.  OMG SO GOOD.  I'm usually not a huge tofu-in-the-soup fan (see slime issues above), but seriously this was so tasty you guys. All the noms.

• Like 2

Hi fellow veggies! With the holidays right around the corner, what are some of your tricks for meals with non-veg family and friends? 2 separate main dishes? Are there things y'all all agree on? I'd love to see your tips, tricks and recipe ideas for holiday meals with non-veg family and friends. :D

Usually I make some kind of veggie or nut loaf as a turkey replacement and I make sure to whip up some mushroom gravy. My mom will generally set aside some stuffing that doesn't interact with the turkey (my in-laws have stuffing that is mostly meat so this doesn't work) and the rest of the side dishes are inherently vegetarian.

If I'm going to a potluck, I usually make a veggie loaf and usually some other side dish too (one time I made a big kale and ginger salad) and when I hosted one here, I made a veggie loaf, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy and tabbouleh (because why not).

So I guess the usual strategy is two main dishes, unless it's my house, in which case I don't make any meat so unless someone brings a main dish that is meat, there will just be one veggie main dish.

• Like 1

Usually I make some kind of veggie or nut loaf as a turkey replacement and I make sure to whip up some mushroom gravy. My mom will generally set aside some stuffing that doesn't interact with the turkey (my in-laws have stuffing that is mostly meat so this doesn't work) and the rest of the side dishes are inherently vegetarian.

Do you have a veggie nut loaf recipe you'd be willing to share? I might try it out for Christmas dinner :D

This is the one that I've made a few times, but I don't always do the glaze and sometimes just roll with mushroom gravy and I don't think I've ever used parchment paper (I just grease the pan with some olive oil or butter, whatever I have handy). Also, to get the ground flax seed and oat flour, you can just run flax seeds and oats through a coffee grinder (separately, of course). I've also put sunflower seeds on top before baking and had that work out pretty well.

I haven't found a nut loaf that I really like a whole lot, to be honest. I've tried a few but they're always a bit too crunchy in odd places and are never as delicious as I feel like they should be. Then once I tried that veggie loaf, I sort of just gave up on finding new ones because it worked out pretty well.

In Japan, my method is a bit different so far because I don't have a loaf pan, I mostly end up using pancake mix with sauteed veggies and herbs, then tossing it in my rice cooker because rice cookers are magical.

• Like 1

Will you have this group next challenge? I'd love to join some like minded folks. I've only been vegetarian for about 7 months, now. I'm dropping eggs and dairy, next challenge. That is, if you don't mind having a monk/warrior type guy.

• Like 3

Will you have this group next challenge? I'd love to join some like minded folks. I've only been vegetarian for about 7 months, now. I'm dropping eggs and dairy, next challenge. That is, if you don't mind having a monk/warrior type guy.

I don't know if we will - I hope so - but you're OF COURSE welcome to join. I don't know if any of us are vegan, but I've been vegetarian for over a decade and was vegan for a year and a half. :)

Nice, I'm deciding to switch to vegan for several reasons. Mostly because my body doesn't handle dairy or eggs the way it did in my younger days. Then, of course, To acquire Vegan Powers.

• Like 3

We can probably do a group next challenge too. It's actually pretty easy to start accountabilibuddies groups, so as long as there's interest, it just requires a bit of initiative...

Granted, I haven't been too awesome at starting side challenges (not that I'm sure these groups need side challenges, but it's fun). I was busy at the beginning of this week and nobody else suggested anything so we didn't have one. Next week could be trying new recipes maybe?

Oh, and I should have added that if you want you can join for the rest of this challenge too. We don't mind latecomers. :)

• Like 2

Hello the veggies :) I am a centaur - so of course, a genuine lifelong herbivore, 100%, raised vegan, vegan family, etc. Some say that makes me lucky, some say 'that must be hard' but it's just what I do so I don't even think about it any more. I'll just be trotting around in here enjoying all the talk of delicious vegetables.

I'm not the most 'spiritual' vegan of course... I do believe in the ethics, but as an assassin, I can't be too squeamish about mortality! I just don't happen to feed on such things.

Here's my challenge link --> http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/57060-simplicitys-strength/

• Like 3

Totally after the fact, but for thanksgiving I also like to do loafs (Happy Herbivore's hippie loaf is AMAZING).  Also pumpkin ravioli.

• Like 2

Yay there's a group for this. I just finally push myself to being vegetarian (day 3), after reducing meat for past few weeks.

WELCOME! I found that once I got through the first month of no meat I was totally fine. I didn't miss it at all (okay - I do miss smoked salmon, but that's all, really).

WELCOME! I found that once I got through the first month of no meat I was totally fine. I didn't miss it at all (okay - I do miss smoked salmon, but that's all, really).

I've done it before. It's always the first few weeks that are the hardest. Especially when my family isn't very supportive of my diet change.

• Like 1

Hello the veggies :) I am a centaur - so of course, a genuine lifelong herbivore, 100%, raised vegan, vegan family, etc. Some say that makes me lucky, some say 'that must be hard' but it's just what I do so I don't even think about it any more. I'll just be trotting around in here enjoying all the talk of delicious vegetables.

I'm not the most 'spiritual' vegan of course... I do believe in the ethics, but as an assassin, I can't be too squeamish about mortality! I just don't happen to feed on such things.

Here's my challenge link --> http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/57060-simplicitys-strength/

Hi! Welcome (belatedly, because I've been a bit sick and lazy this week)! I'll add you and your challenge to the OP. :)

Yay there's a group for this. I just finally push myself to being vegetarian (day 3), after reducing meat for past few weeks.

Yay! I think the biggest problems I had when I first became vegetarian all involved having to read ingredient lists on everything because there's often hidden meat in things.

I made a new recipie, Poor Man's Caviar. It is delishous there are a million diffrent versions of this. Even the anti-veggies at my house liked it.

Oh, looks good. The name reminded me of the Mexican caviar my mom makes sometimes now. I don't know what recipe she uses (but it's something kinda like this probably).

For the longest time, I missed chicken wings. Then I realized that it was really the sauce I missed. Then I found a recipe for cauliflower "wings" and all was well (though it's a bit of an ordeal to make compared to what I usually make).

...and I still haven't done the challenge this week due to being a bit sick (the downside of sharing the air with infinite people on trains) and busy. I'm thinking I'll look something up for tonight.

• Like 1