• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

broompeople

[jaimeliz] visits the Gatherer's Garden.

"My daddy's smarter than Einstein, stronger than Hercules, and can light a fire with a snap of his fingers! Are you as good as my daddy, mister? Not if you don't visit the Gatherer's Garden, you aren't!"

Aaaand I'm back! Grad school's been hella busy (did I seriously just say that?), but I'm ready and excited to start my first 6WC as a n00b assassin. I've decided on a Bioshock theme this time around, since I've recently been thinking about the games (thanks, Timehop). Who's ready to evolve??

Main Quest: Slim-Down

Okay, so this wasn't actually a usable gene tonic in the games, but it was certainly advertised! My long-term main quest is to decrease my BF% from 24-26% to 14-16%. Let me go ahead and restate that it's a LONG-TERM goal, just to remind myself that patience is a thing that will serve me well here.
Fun Fact: In Rapture, you could choose to receive either the Slim-Down or Telekinesis plasmid for free with a root canal. I've had 2 (or is it 3..?) root canals already, and I've yet to get a free plasmid with the procedure... ='[

Quest 1: Extra Nutrition, Fountain of Youth (+3 CON)

Rapture probably isn't the best place to grab a snack, seeing as the edibles mainly consisted of things like alcohol, potato chips, and canned goods. Thankfully, I'm in Athens and have access to grocery stores.
For this challenge, I'll be cutting out grains and limiting dairy (super loose, "paleo-my-way" type), as well as intentionally drinking more water. Should be attainable, seeing as I already don't eat many grains/dairy, though the local bakery (Fluff) is constantly calling my name, and I've got one hell of a sweet tooth. Drinking enough water during the day is more of a struggle for me than I generally realize, but it's nothing I can't fix with a bit of determination.
I'll be tracking my meals/water on TwoGrand, which my friend will be using for added accountability.
Goal: Drink all of the water and stick to no grains/limited dairy 90-100% of the time; I don't expect perfection--my best will do just fine ;]

Quest 2: Sports Boost (+3 STR, +3 STA)

While this technically is more about speed, I'm tailoring it to be a bit more broad (does that mean I also have the Clever Inventor tonic? I'm going with yes.).
The goal for this quest is to work out 3-4 times a week, likely doing more than that when possible. I just bought YAYOG, so I'm going to look into that in the upcoming weeks, hopefully checking out the program tomorrow morning (I generally start my week--and therefore my challenge--on Sunday). I'll be typing up a more specific program tomorrow when I'm not dead tired.
Goal: Work out 3-4x per week; I'm a hero!

Quest 3: Armored Shell, Human Inferno (+3 DEX)

This goal is all about injury prevention and maximizing potential, though I wish I were actually going to be a human inferno.
I'll be working on flexibility and mobility, therefore increasing my body's defenses (injury prevention) and offenses (maximizing potential). Similar to the role of water in my life, I've tended to neglect this area of fitness, so I've decided to make it a main part of this challenge.
Goal: Perform mobility routine once a day (add some simple stretching through the day), 5-7 days a week; I'm going to shoot for every day, but I realize that habits aren't formed overnight.

Life Quest: Brain Boost (+3 WIS)

Another gene tonic that's only sort of mentioned in the games. I've just past the halfway point in my first semester of graduate school, and I've been doing really well in my courses. With only a bit over a month left, I'm determined to keep that trend going and kick ass for the rest of the semester. I've got a couple projects and a presentation left to do, so I'll be focusing much of my brain power on those.
Goal: Finish the semester like a boss because I'm awesome ;D

----------------------

Well, now that I've finished my novel, I think it's bed time. More on this tomorrow, my friends.

• Like 5

[Week 1]

Extra NutritionFountain of Youth

Could've done better on this one. I'd say I was only at about 80-85% this past week. I ended up driving home for part of the weekend, which was part of the problem (my family doesn't keep many veggies in the house, and there's a lot of junk food). Working on that willpower for week two. I only reached my water goal a few days this week, so I'll be really striving for that, too. I'd like to at least come within 20oz of my goal each day. THIS IS ME NOT GIVING UP JUST YET.

Sports Boost

Rocked my workouts this week! My "big sis" Isah from camp suggested that I do two weeks of modified push-ups with perfect form to build up strength and then see how many regular push-ups I can do after that (did my first push-ups in years last month, as it was a huge goal of mine; hence the focus). Anyway, I stuck to my goal, and this week I've started YAYOG. Here's to progress!

Armored Shell, Human Inferno

I only completed the mobility routine 4 days this week, and I've modified my goal to better suit my schedule as it is right now. I'll be doing my routine once a day 5-7 days per week, and adding some light stretching throughout the day.

Brain Boost

Accomplished what I needed to last week. I've only got a few weeks left in the semester, so I've got a project and two short papers to write. Nothing I can't handle, just have to get them done, preferably soon. 

Summary & Some Mental Health Notes:

Week one was a little shaky, but I won't let it get me down. This time of year is always pretty rough for me in regards to my depression, and this is the first winter in a couple years that I won't be on my anti-anxiety/-depressant meds, so I know that will make it a bit tougher. Bright side, I've got at least one friend who understands it and knows how to handle me when I get all withdrawn and such. And I brought my keyboard down to Athens, too, so there's another self-care boost =] Anyway, I hope y'all are well, and I'll be back in another million years to update you on week two =P

Edited by JaimeLiz

[Week 2]

Struggled with this one again and was at perhaps 75-80% as opposed to 90-100%. I went home again since I won't be back in Parma for Thanksgiving, and I realized that I'm definitely an emotional eater. Well, not so much realized as remembered. I'd really like to find a way to combat that, aside from ridding myself of emotion. Good thing I'm in the field of counseling =P

Sports Boost

Started and followed through with YAYOG week one (beginner level)! Really enjoying the program so far, too, which is helping my motivation.

Completed this 5/7 days, so I hit my goal, but I found my motivation for it to be slightly lacking. I think I'm going to start looking into different mobility routines to find one that I can get into. Any suggestions y'all have are welcome ;]

Brain Boost

Finished my counseling session transcript project for my Theory & Techniques class. I'm super glad to have that out of the way, but I've got another paper to tackle before finals begin. Only a couple weeks left!

Summary and Also Other Things:

Sorry for the late update! I've been trying not to be on the computer too much if I'm not doing work for school (some might call that "schoolwork"). Thanksgiving is in a couple days, making next week the last of classes before finals. My world is currently a very busy one, and some days I feel like I'm struggling to keep up. My motivation is lacking this week, which is probably just end-of-semester burnout. I'm also still pretty down lately, so that's been a bit of a bitch. I've only got a couple more weeks. Just need to tough it out till then.

Edited by JaimeLiz

[Week 3]

Ugh, guys. This was a terrible week. Like actually. Probably going to extend my challenge by a week to make up for it. Bright side, I'm getting back on track now. Finals start next week, so I'll be much less busy after the 12th. All encouragement is welcome.

Edited by JaimeLiz

[Week 4]

Back in the 85-90% range, which isn't bad. Actually, it's very good considering all the stress I'm still dealing with. Yay me!

Sports Boost

Back on track here, too, though it was really hard by the end of the week. 

Wow, I actually forgot about this goal... Slight failure, so I have no excuses this week =P

Brain Boost

Finished two of my four finals (100% on the first, 86% on the second). So glad to be done with classes, guys.

Additional Comments

GUYS. I lost my wallet somewhere on Court Street (the "main drag" in Athens) last night. I'm pissed. My phone was with it, of course, though I was able to get that back (the dude who picked it up was clearly wasted in some way or another, so he gave me the wrong address at first...). I must have grilled the kid who returned it for ten minutes to figure out if he really had my wallet or not, but he seemed too disoriented to be able to lie to my face. I gave my number to one of his friends and told her to let me know if they find it, since she seemed to be a little more in touch with reality. I cancelled my debit cards this morning, and checked my account several times last night. No charges were made to it, thankfully, but I'm now without my driver's license, student ID, any cash (though there wasn't much in that wallet), and of course my debit cards.

In addition to that fun situation, I had an interview last Friday for a Graduate Assistant position within the College of Education. I should know by Tuesday or Wednesday if I got it, so I'll keep you guys posted. If I do get it, I'll get a tuition waiver for next semester as well as a stipend, which would be indescribably helpful in alleviating some of the financial stresses I'm currently dealing with. If I don't get it... well, it'll suck pretty badly, but I'll just have to get a different job. I'm planning on picking up some hours during winter break in the warehouse of the place my dad works, if they'll let me, so at least there's that.

Ugh, basically I'm ready for this week to be over. Hope all is well with all of you =]

Edited by JaimeLiz

Week 1, Day 1

Because I start my weeks on Sunday

Extra Nutrition:

So far so good. Ate well today and remembered to log everything on TwoGrand

Fountain of Youth:

Still working on this, but right now I'm only about halfway to my goal (about 106 oz. of water per day). By the time I call it a night, I'll likely only be about 75% there, but tomorrow's another day.

Sports Boost:

Completed the first day of this Nike Training Club program (30 minutes of HIIT). Thought I was going to die, but I tapped into my reserve of EVE and finished strong.

Armored Shell/Human Inferno:

Completed mobility in the morning, will be doing so before bed (and after I finish writing a paper). Booyah.

Brain Boost:

Made a lot of progress on this paper, so I've only got a few paragraphs left to write. 

• Like 2

Yay! Thanks, friends =]

Did pretty well with my first quest, aside from some frozen custard after dinner.. Bright side, I met my water goal, which wasn't too difficult because I kept a refillable water bottle with me all day.

Did not work out yesterday since I did the day before, but I made sure to go out of my way to walk more than I normally would (took the stairs instead of the escalator, etc).

Didn't complete my mobility routine in the morning, but I did before bed. Mornings are becoming more difficult because of how cold it is everywhere that isn't my bed =P Something to work on.

Finished and submitted the paper that was due yesterday!

I'm currently resisting the cookies that are inside at this coffee shop. It's very, very difficult. I'm also behind on water, but the day's still young! More on this later.

Meals were all on point! Was still a bit short on water, so I'll be working on that.

I have plans to climb the rock wall at our gym later, so I'm really excited about that! I also did 3 sets of modified push-ups this morning. Went climbing and signed up for a class to get recertified to belay. Can't wait!

Followed through with mobility this morning! Looking forward to repeating it this evening. Anand I did it :D

Meeting with a colleague later today to go over my resume so I can apply for graduate assistantships. Really hoping I get one because it'll help pay my tuition (and lord knows I could use the help!).

Edited by JaimeLiz
  • Like 1

Ahoy there lassy, Cap'n Jazzy here from the Drunken Barmaid here teh see how yer fairin' and what yer goals are. Love 'em! I just have one suggestion fer ye, though. Fer yer main quest, seein' as it's a long term, I'd suggest not addin' the +2 CHA to it. If'n ye want ta have attribute points there, I'd suggest making it like "Lose 5 pounds in 6 weeks" since ye won't be dropping to your desire BF% this challenge and won't be gettin' those points. But that just be me own opinion.

Keep up the good work, I'll be checkin' in on ye!

• Like 1

Yay! Thanks, friends =]

Didn't complete my mobility routine in the morning, but I did before bed. Mornings are becoming more difficult because of how cold it is everywhere that isn't my bed =P Something to work on.

You're welcome! ^_^

Also, I can completely understand the morning/bed situation.  I rolled over and my phone told me it was 22 degrees outside.... I was less than pleased. >_<

• Like 1

I like your goals and I'm looking forward to hearing how everything goes! 

Great to see a Bioshock theme! Loved that series. Subbed, glad to have you back! :)

glad to have you back

Red Pill friends! Thanks =] It's definitely good to be back =]

Ahoy there lassy, Cap'n Jazzy here from the Drunken Barmaid here teh see how yer fairin' and what yer goals are. Love 'em! I just have one suggestion fer ye, though. Fer yer main quest, seein' as it's a long term, I'd suggest not addin' the +2 CHA to it. If'n ye want ta have attribute points there, I'd suggest making it like "Lose 5 pounds in 6 weeks" since ye won't be dropping to your desire BF% this challenge and won't be gettin' those points. But that just be me own opinion.

Keep up the good work, I'll be checkin' in on ye!

Thanks! I just modified it =] 

• Like 1

Despite the temptations of pizza and burritos, I stuck to the lunch/dinner I packed while at school. Go me! I was short again on water by about 40oz.

Yesterday wasn't much of a workout day, but I again made an effort to walk more. 

I woke up late so didn't have time for my mobility routine before classes, but I used the hour and a half between two of my classes to stretch and meditate. It was definitely much needed. Also completed the routine before bed.

Met with my friend to talk about my resume, so that was nice. Making some of those changes today (13th) so I can start applying for graduate assistantships for next semester.

• Like 3

Bioshock's one of those games that I have never played, but it looks interesting!!

You should remedy this. These games are super entertaining and well done!!
  • Like 2