Ares is on the war path! RAWR!

Hello you.

I'm doing my first-ever 6-week challenge to get myself on the path towards a better, less fluffy version of myself.

Who am I?

I'm Ares Pandora. Duh.

More seriously, I am an English teacher in South Korea who is sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Main Quest

To jump-start a new way of life by getting under 80kgs.

Goals

1. I will stick to my workout schedule: three times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. 

(STR:4|STA:2)

Grading:

A = 18

B = 12-17

C = 7-12

D = 1-6

F = 0

2. I will not drink beer, as it is counter-productive and carb-y.

This one is going to be a tough one, as I really enjoy beer. However, I realize that I can not outrun my fork....or pint glass.

(CHA:2|CON:2)

Grading:

A = 0

B = 1-3

C = 4-6

D = 6-9

F = 10+

3. I will eat real food, and thus go without takeout/fast food.

(CON:2)

Grading:

A = 0

B = 1-3

C = 3-6

D = 6-9

F= 10+

Life Quest:

Get back into good study habits by studying Korean for at least 30 minutes every day without distraction.

(WIS:4)

Motivation

There’s this thing that happens every time I sit down. My stomach pushes over the limit of my pants and hangs out for the world to see. I hate it and if I don't change my ways now, it's only going to get worse.

+1 WIS and +1 CHA for mini-quests.

• Like 3

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout
STR: 7 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 9 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Hello Ares :-)  Welcome to NerdFitness!  The Adventurers will be happy to have you :-)

What kind of workouts do you like?  You may find some useful information in the assorted subforums lower on this page.  There are knowledge bases for each of the general types of exercise plus a recipe area, book club, and other discussions about leveling up your life. 

Your motivation, long terms goals, and short term goals are all very clear and well laid out. 

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

at least it doesn't hang out over your pants when you're standing up ;)  Your goals are set out well, do you have a plan of attack for them though?

You might notice that someone has added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Adventurers to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

As for workouts, right now I'm working through the Bodyweight Battalion through the NF Academy. I just started, so I'm trying to use what I have at home currently. I used to do a lot of running in college, but that was a while ago. I was getting back into it last year, but then I broke my ankle when trying out roller derby. So, that was kind of a bust. But the ankle is all healed after a couple surgeries over the past year, and I'm ready to go for the gold again!

Blaidd, you're right. At least it doesn't stick out over my pants while I'm standing. Silver lining!

As for a plan of attack, I have a workout schedule set, reminders sent straight to my phone, and a workout log to do after each one so I can keep track of exactly what I'm doing each time. 

Even though I love beer, I know I can't keep drinking it and expect any sort of results. If I must go out and socialize around drinkers(which in Korea is actually hard to escape from), I will simply order something else I can sip on.

Takeout is one of my all-time weaknesses. It's just so convenient! However, I have already blocked all ordering sites, and because my Korean is so poor, I can't order over the phone. I am allowing eating at restaurants, just no delivery and eating in my home where no one can see me devour truly awful food in record time.

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Going for less fluffy....me too!

Om nom nom beer. Best of luck on that one--I know it'd be hard for me as well! But I bet you can do it.

Also, good luck on the Korean. A friend of mine was studying abroad there and said learning was really difficult!

KayDubEff

Level 0 Browncoat

STR0 | DEX0 | STA0  | CON0 | WIS0| CHA0

Current Challenge

"The only person you are destined to become is the one you decide to be."

Thanks! Beer is the one thing that I was thinking, "Do I really think I can do this?" And then I just had to get up and say, "Well, if it's that much of a problem, perhaps a different kind of conversation needs to be going on. Come on, girl. You got this."

And of course, all of this was said aloud to myself in the shower, where all my good self-arguments happen.

Korean is difficult, but I have to do it. I have a very large test coming my way in thirteen days.....and I can't pass it without studying a lot in the next couple weeks. 

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Nice uh! You can do it!

• Like 1

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

SO.......now I feel bad, and it's all because of a twelve year old kid.

I teach English in Korea, so a lot of the time the kids don't really talk to me much because of the language barrier/they're terrified of foreigners. This is not all Korean kids, but I teach in the countryside near to a city, and they don't see many foreigners out here. So today we're doing a lesson on comparatives, like "I am faster than you." As the students are working on their writing project, one student called me over for help. After I gave him a nudge in the right direction, he blurts out, "Teacher. You are big." 

Being no stranger to being told this by small Korean children, and some adults, I shrug it off and say, "Yes, I am. I'm bigger than you."

He then says, "Teacher, you are very big. You are very fat. Very, very fat."

I sat down with him and told him nicely that it's not polite to call people fat. In English, it is quite rude and it hurts people's feelings.

"But, teacher. You are fat. I can't say?"

"Right. You can say that I'm big. That's okay."

"Teacher, you are very, very big."

"Much better. Finish your worksheet."

I know kids are kids, they say the darndest things, and I really shouldn't let something a twelve year old said get to me, but it does. 

However, instead of running to food for comfort, as soon as I get out of work, I'm going home and taking it out on the dumbbells. I think I might try to start running a bit today as well. Gotta start somewhere.

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

SO.......now I feel bad, and it's all because of a twelve year old kid.

I teach English in Korea, so a lot of the time the kids don't really talk to me much because of the language barrier/they're terrified of foreigners. This is not all Korean kids, but I teach in the countryside near to a city, and they don't see many foreigners out here. So today we're doing a lesson on comparatives, like "I am faster than you." As the students are working on their writing project, one student called me over for help. After I gave him a nudge in the right direction, he blurts out, "Teacher. You are big."

Being no stranger to being told this by small Korean children, and some adults, I shrug it off and say, "Yes, I am. I'm bigger than you."

He then says, "Teacher, you are very big. You are very fat. Very, very fat."

I sat down with him and told him nicely that it's not polite to call people fat. In English, it is quite rude and it hurts people's feelings.

"But, teacher. You are fat. I can't say?"

"Right. You can say that I'm big. That's okay."

"Teacher, you are very, very big."

"Much better. Finish your worksheet."

I know kids are kids, they say the darndest things, and I really shouldn't let something a twelve year old said get to me, but it does.

However, instead of running to food for comfort, as soon as I get out of work, I'm going home and taking it out on the dumbbells. I think I might try to start running a bit today as well. Gotta start somewhere.

Not liking for the rude kid but liking how you're turning it into positive energy rather than eating comfort food. Nice!
  • Like 1

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

Not going to lie, I'd like nothing more than to drown my sorrows of fatness in some cheese. Or bread. Or both.

However, I'm trying to change my life here! I gotta stop thinking of food as comfort and think of it as energy.

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

I have considered it, but I think I need to gain more strength in my ankle before I attempt that. Just doing the basic bodyweight exercises is trying at times. 

I can't wait until I am able to just get up and run or try new things. Healing a broken ankle takes SO MUCH TIME! I was ready for it to be finished last year. haha

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

What happened after school yesterday:

I walked to a grocery store a bit out of my way for about 15 minutes. I got a few veggies and some eggs, and headed home. I grabbed the subway because it was too cold to walk the whole way home without a jacket, which I had forgotten in my morning rush. 

I went home, put away the groceries, changed, and did the bodyweight workout B, which includes the dreaded lunges.....I hate lunges.

I did them anyway for the first set, and hardly finished. For the second and third set I switched to squats. It was a pretty difficult workout regardless, and by the end I was pouring sweat. I didn't end up going out for a walk last night because I was so tired I fell asleep at 9. 

However, today I shall be walking home since I brought a coat with me. It's freezing today over here. 

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/stretches-for-achilles-tendon-problem has some short term self-care

Would you be interested in trying some yoga?  Downward dog and some of the other positions are great for stretching and strength building without being as straining.  Doyogawithme.com is a great free resource and has a few specific yoga for runners videos.

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Thanks for that!

I think I am going to add in some yoga to my workout days as well. I always liked yoga, just fell out of practice.

I decided to take it easy yesterday, so I postponed my workout and did it today, removing all the jumping moves and such that I thought would be too straining.

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

So, totally felt better about myself, thought I lost some belly area, and was really confident.....until about fifteen minutes ago.

Busted my pants button right off. Now I have to make sure that it doesn't show for the rest of the day at work. Boo.

.....Mondays. Am I right?

However, after taking it easy for the weekend, my Achilles is feeling much better. Still going to take it easy on it this week, but next week I think I should be good to go.

• Like 3

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Don't stress about the lil things.  Feel good about the great progress your making.  Glad you took it easy to give the Achilles a break.  Keep it up!!  You are rocking it!

• Like 1

Level 4 Demon/Assassin

We Can't All Be The Hero.

STR:6  DEX:7 STA:8  CON:5  WIS:8 CHA:2

"No power in the 'verse can stop me." River

Thank you SO MUCH! 

I am feeling pretty good about the progress I've made already. I'm a week and a half without takeout, drinking at least two liters of water every day, and haven't missed a workout yet. I'm feeling better about myself, which is always good.

AND, I've completed 30 consecutive days of my food log successfully, which was one of my goals to start out with anyway. So, ONE DOWN! and a bunch more to go. 

One day at a time.

I'm really glad that I took it easy on my ankle earlier. Yesterday I did my workout, but toned down a bit, and it still was a bit too much. So, I'm dialing back even a bit more and just going to do mostly arm strength movements and some good stretching. As well as my regular walking. It does feel loads better, though. Thankfully.

• Like 3

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

I was reading your thread and have a lot of the same goals.  My 4 year old made a comment about my size which was totally innocent but nags in the back of my head that I need to get better.  I didn't want to attempt to give up beer on my first challenge but I want to reduce my take out consumption, jump start a bodyweight exercise routine and I threw in yoga because I have a -2 penalty to DEX (horrible flexibility in my hamstrings).  The yoga is a really good active recovery and has helped me start stretching out.

Go easy on the ankle, a torn Achilles will take you out of commission for weeks.

• Like 1

PolishRifle

Level 3 Jedi Knight

STR: 1 DEX: 1 STA: 5 CON: 4  WIS: 7 CHA: 5

"Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us.  Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
Reduce Body weight from 230lbs to 180lbs (lose 50 lbs) Currently 214lbs

32%
32%

Yeah, kids are so incredibly blunt sometimes...but then all I can do is think back to when I was a kid and think about maybe I did that to another person, and laugh. The cycle goes on. Haha

best of luck on your own challenge! Giving up beer is a challenge, and so far I've already messed up once, but I'm okay with it, because I made up for it the next day by being really good and working on myself.

This program is much different than any other I've tried countless times before. Whereas before I'd say, well, I messed up once. Might as well give up.

now I feel like I'm in a much healthier place mentally to get this stuff done. It wasn't put on in one day, won't be taken off in one either. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

So, basically, I'm really happy with the strides I've made so far, and know that I can get the rest done as well with some good ol' dedication and elbow grease.

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4