Jason Bourne: Becoming Oliver Queen - Part 1: The Island

Jason Bourne

The name of the island they found me on is Lian Yu. It's Mandarin for "purgatory." I've been stranded here for five years. I've dreamt of my rescue every cold black night since then. For five years I've only had one thought, one goal - survive. Survive and one day return home. The island held many dangers. To live, I had make myself more than what I was, to forge myself into a weapon. 

My name is Oliver Queen.

Hello everyone! I'm really excited about this next challenge! Oliver Queen's character from the hit series "Arrow" on the CW has really been an inspiration to me, so I'd like to do this challenge with that theme in mind. Part II will be about Oliver as the Arrow, assuming that this challenge is successful. If you guys haven't seen the show, I would definitely recommend it. Here's a small clip of Oliver in action, setting up the lair that he uses as a hideout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpp_Nwy3XzE

Pretty awesome right! In that spirit, here are the goals that I've set for myself this challenge: 

Archery 

In order to survive the island that he was shipwrecked on, Oliver must learn how to wield a bow in order to defend himself from the many dangers the island has for him. He learns these skills from Yao Fe and his daughter Shado. By spending hours everyday honing his craft and relying on it to survive, Oliver has become a master archer. 

My ambitions are similar. I've already been practicing for several years with my 65lb Matthews hunting bow, and can shoot very accurately from 40 yards or shorter. I'd like to be able to hit my target (a two foot tall square) from 80 yards with 10 arrows and not miss once. 

Goal 1.1 - 10/10 arrows in my target from 80 yards away (+3 DEX : +2 CON)

Bodyweight Exercises 

Oliver initially arrives on the island as a spoiled, padded young man that hasn't had to experience a great deal of hardship. I can definitely relate to this aspect of Oliver's life, and have experienced comfort for far to long. I've grown complacent, fat and lazy, and I've been living the easy life for too long, always looking for the easy way out. 

By using bodyweight exercises like push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, squats, and muscle-ups, Oliver transforms himself into a human weapon capable of accomplishing the task. I will do the same. 

Goal 2.1 - Double # of single-rep push-ups from 50 to 100 (+1 STR)

Goal 2.2 - Complete 60 Sit-Ups in 1 minute (current 30) (+1 STA) 

Goal 2.3 - Accomplish 20 consecutive dead-hang pull-ups (current 12) (+1 STA)

Goal 2.4 - Complete 2 back-to-back muscle-ups with no kipping and dead hang in between (current 1 kipping) (+1 STR)

Goal 2.5 - Complete 150 consecutive squats (current 60) (+1 STR) 

Survival 

The island is completely cut off from civilization, isolated from the rest of the world. Oliver, Yao Fe, Shado, and later Sara Lance and Slade Wilson must all learn how to hunt, scavenge, and forage in order to survive. To this end, I am going to transform my diet into the Paleo diet, and only eat what would have been readily available to Oliver on the island. Also, I have a bit of experience with hunting, but I've yet to kill a dear, which is another big part of this challenge. 

Goal 3.1 Eat only the Paleo Diet or similar foods that would have been available to Oliver on the island (i.e. protein bars/whey protein, or military rations that they could have stolen from the soldiers or Slade had as part of his mission) (+2 CHA : + 1 CON)

Goal 3.15 Not strictly a goal per se, but I want to try doing some intermittent fasting and see how my body responds. This would go well with the conditions that Oliver was in on the island, and it would give me a chance to go hungry and work through that pain in addition to the physical pain that my body will be in too. :)

Goal 3.2 Hunt and kill a deer, scavenging the meat, processing the carcass as well as the hide and using as little technology as possible during that process to replicate doing such completely in the wild. (+1 CON : +1 WIS)

Oliver spent 5 years on the island transforming himself from a boy to a man and becoming a human weapon. I'm going to attempt the same thing in just six weeks, and although I know I probably won't get to the point that he is at, I'm going to do my best. 

These next six weeks will be my island, the crucible in which I will be transformed into a human weapon. I want to not only meet these goals, but exceed them. 

Please follow my daily battle log in the description and let me know what you guys think of this challenge! Thanks so much for the support! 

• Like 2

STR - 9 DEX - 10 STA - 12 CON - 6 WIS - 12.5 CHA - 5 Level 4 Assassin Soldier 

Current Challenge: "Becoming Oliver Queen: Part 1" 

Battle Log: "Will You Commit Yourself to This Program?" 

Epic Quest: "The List" (coming soon!) 

Мой аргумент не Ñ Ð²Ð°Ð¼Ð¸ - My argument is not with you. 

Awesome theme. Everything fits really nicely. Good luck surviving the onslaught of crazy attackers! ;)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I love Oliver's lair - and I wish they'd show him training more.  Yea, yea.  Eye candy.  But also to underscore the fact that you never stop training if you want to be in shape. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk