Ruckus Publicly Declared a Goal for the Whole World to See

Ruckus

Hey dudes. Coming in last minute because I struggled to think up a goal since I'm kind of over the last one. Then I remembered that I publicly declared the following goal at Boston Social Athletes last week (I approved that photo, and it looked way better when it was tiny on the camera display).

Complete the 2015 BAA Distance Medley

The BAA (Boston Athletic Association) Distance Medley is the 5K, 10K, and half marathon that they do throughout the year, only you get an extra medal and commit to it all at once. The 5K is in April, the 10K is in June, and the half is in October.

How I'm getting there:

• Distance run 2-3 times per week. My company soccer league is starting up, which might mess things up, but I'd still be active, so I'm lowering the requirement. Also dreadmill season sucks.
  • Continue going to Wednesday November Project. The only allowable reason I'll stop doing this is if it gets unsafe to ride my bike there in icy darkness. Or I injure myself/get sick, which applies to any physically active goal.
  • Go to bed before midnight every day. It's tangentially related, but good sleep is important and I couldn't think of a 3rd thing. I'm allowing exceptions for when I spend time with others because I need to get out more. The purpose is more that I don't stay up late for no reason. By go to bed, I mean attempting to sleep, not in bed playing with my phone.

Life Quest: Up my flossing game. I suck at flossing so the plan is to floss 3-4 times a week (~every other day). I'm letting this happen gradually, so the first week needs to be at least once, the second twice, and then the next 4 weeks can be 3-4+ times.

I'm not doing a 3rd side quest because I feel like I'd be doing it because I have to and not because I want to. Maybe that will change later in the challenge.

• Like 1

Scout / Assassin. Ich spreche etwas deutsch.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."
--Leonard Fisher (12 and Holding)

That Medley does sound fun. Glad you've been enjoying NP

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Love those races! And since the last couple of times I tried to sign up for (just) the half it filled up in, like, an hour and a half, signing up for the medley sounds like the smart thing to do  ^_^ 

Merganser: Level 4 Anatidae Scout

STR 4 | DEX 5 | STA 5 | CON 7 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

Intro | Current Challenge: Train for Spain!

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

of the family Anatidae on our hands." --Douglas Adams

Ooh, what everyone else said. I'd never heard of a medley before today, but I think there's a couple people doing them. What a fun challenge!

(Edit: Also, your pic looks no bit worse than the last time I approved a picture of myself based solely on the view of a tiny screen. It happens. The goal is the thing, right?)

:) 

• Like 1

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

I only heard about it because my boss was going to do it this year (he later got injured and didn't do the half). It's funny because there's some solid prize money for whoever wins the whole thing so you have these elite (Kenyan marathoner type) runners running a 5K. I wasn't worried about registration filling up but I am now. I guess I'll be keeping tabs on that come January.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."

Well we're off to a terrible start since I skipped NP this morning for really no good reason. Still haven't run yet, but my schedule is a bit messed up since I was gone last weekend among other things. There's nowhere to go but up at this point.

Strava || Duolingo

Ooh, that looks challengey. Guess it gives a bit of structure to your next few six-weekses then, eh?

How have you been getting on since your bad start? Better, I hope...?

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I'm not totally making excuses, but my routine for the week got thrown off thanks to construction in my building and the fact that I was out of town last weekend. I've got all day plans for tomorrow and I'm going to TEDx with/for November Project on Sunday morning so I'm probably not getting any real running until Monday, which is less than awesome. I did floss the other day, which is one of the things I said I'd do. I'm keeping mildly active with walking places and doing push-ups.

I also signed up for a 5K on December 7th, so hopefully that's motivating.

Strava || Duolingo

I walked like 8 miles today while touring construction sites (which was probably the coolest thing I've done in a while), so I'd call today successful. Lots of stairs and ladders.

• Like 1

Strava || Duolingo

Skipped NP again today but not because of the cold. I got home from soccer (6-4 loss) at 11:30 and 4:45 just wasn't going to happen. I was feeling a little sore after the game anyway and a girl on the other team ran over my ankle, so I would've been doing an injury deck anyway/providing moral support.

Strava || Duolingo

So far so good except for the last 2 days. Tuesday night I was out with the coworkers and got home late, so it doesn't count against the goal since I was being social. Yesterday I had the gas company wandering in and out of my apartment until after midnight because there was a gas leak in the building (later found to be from the apartment under mine), so I can't really be faulted for that one.

Still haven't run yet, but I'm planning on going out with BBR on Sunday, which should be a shitshow interesting.

Strava || Duolingo

Finally showed up this morning. I didn't finish the full tour (32 sections in 42:50) and that kind of bothers me, but whatever. Hard cutoff was 6:20 and I said to myself that I'd finish the tour if I was at least at the top of section 5 by then, and I was at the bottom (so close yet so far). I wasn't sure if Bojan was mocking me when he was walking past me (done) and said "swing your arms, that makes it easier" because I was doing that for momentum's sake (force of habit?). I'm not pushing myself up with hands on my thighs anymore, so there's that.

I thought about going to NP NYC since I'll be in the area for the holidays, but something about driving in that area on Black Friday sounds like one of the worst ideas I've ever had. Happy Thanksgiving if you celebrate it!

Strava || Duolingo

Finally showed up this morning. I didn't finish the full tour (32 sections in 42:50) and that kind of bothers me, but whatever. Hard cutoff was 6:20 and I said to myself that I'd finish the tour if I was at least at the top of section 5 by then, and I was at the bottom (so close yet so far). I wasn't sure if Bojan was mocking me when he was walking past me (done) and said "swing your arms, that makes it easier" because I was doing that for momentum's sake (force of habit?). I'm not pushing myself up with hands on my thighs anymore, so there's that.

I thought about going to NP NYC since I'll be in the area for the holidays, but something about driving in that area on Black Friday sounds like one of the worst ideas I've ever had. Happy Thanksgiving if you celebrate it!

Glad you showed up, given that you verbaled :) My arm swings definitely get more pronounced as fatigue sets in, and yay for not pushing on your thighs - my understanding is that's not so good for your knees. 

I almost went to NP NYC last week when I was in town, but the Deck was too far from where I was staying (and the gf and I were doing a million other things during our 24 hour trip and sleep was needed).

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Glad you showed up, given that you verbaled :) My arm swings definitely get more pronounced as fatigue sets in, and yay for not pushing on your thighs - my understanding is that's not so good for your knees. 

I almost went to NP NYC last week when I was in town, but the Deck was too far from where I was staying (and the gf and I were doing a million other things during our 24 hour trip and sleep was needed).

Someone told me (while I was pushing on my thighs) that I shouldn't because not doing that will eventually make going up the stairs easier. So I picked something else to keep my momentum going :D. And yeah it definitely happens more as the fatigue sets in.

Deck actually was really convenient (I use that loosely because it still would've taken an hour by train, but it was near both Penn Station and the PATH), but I realized later that it was outside Macy's so driving would've been absolutely out of the question. Also I didn't bring my shoes/any gear. Maybe over Christmas/New Year's (not a verbal).

Strava || Duolingo

Quick update: still haven't run anywhere except last week's stairs. I plan on dreadmilling after work on Monday. I've got that 5K coming up next Sunday so I should probably "train" for it.

I signed up to do a deck-a-day challenge that started on Thanksgiving, but that hasn't been going too well since I've been at my parents' place for the weekend. I'm going to get really into it when I get back home (possibly even do the ones that I skipped as well).

The sleep goal is going well. I only broke it once, the other few times were either me being social or when those gas company guys were in and out of my apartment.

I'm probably not going to NP next week since I have a soccer game at 10:15 and probably won't get home until like midnight.

Flossing goal is going ok. I had a dentist appointment yesterday and she was like "you have really nice teeth. Do you floss?" She then tells me I haven't been flossing right, so I'm getting some mixed messages.

Strava || Duolingo

Hey ruckus, just checking in to see how things are going.

I get the same thing with the dentist and my 'flossing' habits. I finally just said I don't have a habit worth mentioning because you all crap all over it anyway so! Now they just give me tips on flossing and I say thank you (sincerely even) and try to incorporate flossing into my morning routine.

I hope you get to running. Sounds like you miss it. Good luck with week 4!!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!