Jacob's June Challenge

Goal 1: Strict Paleo diet, following the Whole 9's Whole 30 program.

This means no protein powder, no almond milk (after I finish of what's in the fridge as quick as I can), no dairy. I'm doing this mostly to see how my body reacts to cutting the dairy, and so I stop eating the 'follow the letter, not the spirit' foods like tons of bananas and honey. I think they've given me the sugar cravings that make it so easy to cheat down to grains.

I'm not explicitly banning coffee, but don't know if i'll keep drinking it, when there's no acceptable creamer.

Goal 2: Advanced Bodyweight Workout, 3x a week. Walk/Jog/Run 5k on the off days.

This will have to wait till next week. I got LASIK this past Friday, and the doctor told me to do nothing more strenuous than walking. I feel fine, and it honestly bugs me to not work out - no "oh well, yay!" attitude here - but better safe than blind.

I can jog a mile reliably, though my time fluctuates, and I want to start a longer distance, in anticipation of doing an organized run.

Goal 3: Update this post daily.

Nightly, after food.

The target of these goals is still to get to the "I can see my abs" fat %. I've been stuck at 14% according to my caliper, though I've been gaining muscle. I think cutting back on my sugars - even natural ones - and doing this high-intensity workout will get me there within the next 28-56 days.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Tough Mudder CO 2012 (4hrs)

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

Thanks Suse!

Day 1:

Breakfast: Larabar Chocolate Coconut Chew. I didn't have anything else prepared, and it was the last Larabar in the pantry. I think I'm gonna get more though; they're not highly processed, and I don't think they're very high on the Glycemic Index.

Lunch: Quizno's Cobb Salad, No Flatbread, No Dressing, No Bleu Cheese. The workers were nice enough to sub some more hard-boiled egg instead of the cheese. I don't trust any dressing I don't make myself or can read the ingredients on; it's way too common for people to put random crap in there.

Afternoon Snack: Last bit of Baby Carrots (about 1/3 lbs), 1 Nectarine, .70 lbs of Kalamata Olives. I know that's a lot of olives, but that was at 'dinner' time. Grocery stores are the only place on the road I can grab food practically, and those olive bars are great, especially when they don't have Hard-Boiled Eggs on hand; I think on HEB has the eggs.

Dinner: 20oz Almond Milk (all gone!), 2 Links of BBQ sausage. This isn't like your normal long-link pork sausage. This is a looser, beef sausage tied in a little circle, and they're amazing. I bought these from Smitty's Market, in Lockhart, TX. If you live in Austin/San Marcos, or are driving between Houston/Austin/San Antonio, they're wroth the stop. Like wow.

Exercise: So, according to the LASIK surgeon, I'm not supposed to do anything more strenuous than walking. But I felt like a fatty from driving around all day, so I made a one-way internal compromise:

Jog 1 mi in 10:07

1 circuit of the NFABWW.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

Ok, so unable to keep updates on here, but that's due to work, not me being lazy, so I'm not counting that against Goal #3...

Day 2, June 22: 1190 Cal.

Breakfast: 3 fried eggs, 2 slices of bacon. I totally forgot that butter is dairy, so fried the eggs in butter.

Lunch: Snow Crab legs @ Hooters, w/ butter dipping sauce. Again, forgot about the butter; Crab Legs were the only thing on their menu I trusted, aside from a garden salad.

Dinner: Romaine Mix Salad w/ homemade balsamic vinegarette, last 1/4lb or so of beef heart. Gotta remember to no buy 1 lb of meat when I'm only cooking for myself...

Evening Snack: Organic Applesauce. had a sweet craving, gave in.

Exercise: Ran my first 5k distance! Jumping from 1mi to 5k was a big jump, but I did a good job of keeping my speed controlled, and just got into a good rhythm. Wore the dog out! The only bad thing was that I strapped my KSO's too tight - the soles couldn't move w/ my feet, so I got some small "pinch" blisters along the balls and toes. Also, my calves are killing me, gotta keep stretching...

Distance: 3.18 mi

Time: 37:11

Level 5 Human Ranger

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

Day 3, June 23: 2296 Cal - Road travel day, so lots of bad eating. I'm a compulsive driving snacker, something I'm working on.

Breakfast: 4 slices of bacon

Morning Snack: 4 Whataburger sausage patties, side of scrambled eggs

Lunch: Chipotle Carnitas Salad w/ Guac, no cheese, no dressing, extra meat

Afternoon Snack: Banana

Dinner: .25 lb brisket, .25 lb sausage, .25 lb smoked ham

Exercise: None. Should have been ABWW, but I got home at 10pm. After 9pm I excuse myself, cuz of bed time at 11.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

Day 4, June 24:

Breakfast: 4 slices of bacon. that's the end of the ones I made mon night.

Morning Snack: Peach, 4 hard boiled eggs.

Lunch: ~4oz Chicharones (pork cracklins w/ skin attached). A little salty, but yummy, and super-filling.

Afternoon Snack: probly finish off the Chicharones, not htere yet though.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

I could play catch up, but I'm not going to...

June 30:

Breakfast: Larabar Cinnamon Roll. I've had early mornings the past week, so have been munching these for breakfast. Suprisingly filling, and within the letter of my diet definition...

Morning "Snack": Waffle House 5oz NY Strip steak, 2 fried eggs, 3 slices tomato.

Lunch: Sashimi: Red Snapper, Mackerel, Surf Clam.

Dinner: Buddy's Chicken Sausage w/ peppers & onions, and Salad.

Exercise: 1mi dog-run; probly my best time yet, but I didn't take my phone with me, since it was raining... I also didn't go work out on the outdoors, metal gym equipment, because it was raining.

But! Today I hit 200.0 lbs! That was my old, original "long term" goal. This morning I was 201.5 at my normal weigh-in time, though by then I had eaten a fair amount. This afternoon I hit it again, and was at 200!. I know it doesn't really count until it's sustained, but it's something! Now I'm working on making sure I think of it as a milestone, not a finish line.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines