• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Taijibum

ATTN MONKS! Petition to move Tai Chi to the Monk area!!!!

Does anyone think it's possible to get Taijiquan moved to the Monks area instead of the Druids?

An explanation of how Tai Chi is a martial art. I did this video in 2006.

I believe the reasoning is that many people consider Taiji to be an active form of meditation, even though it has martial roots.  With the Druids' focus on mobility, mediation, and flexibility, it does fit there.  Of course, so does Aikido.  So it's really up to the practitoner to figure out if they are looking at the the art for the mobility/tranquility reasons, or are a bit more martial about it.  That's how I ended up with the Monks - my own goals initially aligned closer with the Druids, but at the end of the day I realized I was more martial in my point of view, which made me a Monk.

Also, we're awesome.

• Like 3

Well, yeah. I mean, by that same token, there are lot of Rangers who do BJJ, because they're Crossfitters and BJJ ties to that sport pretty well. The reason they're Rangers is because their BJJ is part of an overall fitness/wellness plan, and not necessarily about the art itself or the use and exploration of that art as constructive/cathartic violence.

In thinking about this, I've found it really has come down to the individual Rebel to determine where they are and what they do. It's not that Taiji isn't martial, far from it. It's what you come to Taiji for. If you come to learn, ultimately, how to fight, then you're with us. If you're learning more for meditation/flow purposes, you're with the Druids.

Your 'class' is who you are. Your Art is the path you're on.

• Like 1

Dem ranger has all our monks, yo!

But yeah, it's where you feel your focus is. I've done several challenges in different guilds. :D

Sometimes it's fun to go explore. I just make sure to make it back to the Monastery. Cuz dem my real peeps.

• Like 6

I agree with all of you. Tai chi is totally a martial art. There are huge advantages to solo kata training when you are learning devastating moves.

I also agree on the guild question. I did my first several challenges with the Rangers because doing aikido is not part of my challenges. I have a regular practice habit. I'm going to keep working on leveling up without nerd support. I wanted help on the other parts of my fitness and life goals. I eventually moved to the Monks because you are so much fun. And you don't roll your eyes as much when I write long posts about aikido. ;)

• Like 4