ValkyrieGrace's quest for greatness

Well, hello there!

This is my first challenge! I'm pretty active but my main problem is a lack of consistency and self discipline. I lay out schedules for myself and lose motivation rather quickly and get discouraged even quicker. I want to do this challenge to create accountability for myself and set up a manageable schedule for myself.

Main Quest: For my clothes to fit more comfortably and not squeeze me to death when I sit.

Quest 1: Eat clean and paleo every day with one cheat meal on Weekends (Saturday)

A= one cheats  B=two cheats  C= three+ cheats

Quest 2: Run three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) for 20 minutes using HIIT technique.

A= 3x a week  B= 2x a week  C= 1x a week 

Quest 3: Strength train 2x a week (Tuesday, Saturday)

A= 2x a week  B=1x a week  C= no strength training

Life Quest: Complete one house cleaning chore a day.

Mon.-Sweep floors  Tues- clean sinks  Wed-clean kitchen  Thur- straighten living room  Fri- vacuum  Sat- laundry  Sun-straighten closet

Motivation: I want to be in charge of my health and fitness and want to be in the best shape of my life before I turn 30. I'm 27 now.

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

I like your cleaning challenge.

You might notice that someone has added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Rangers to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

I suceeded in getting some kick-ass kicks! And with coupons, discounts and gift cards they were pretty much free! I went running when I got home.

Three minute warm up-walking

30sec sprint (like a crazy person)

90sec slow jog/walk

repeat for a total of 8 times

Two minute walk to cool down.

That was the plan anyway! I did all of it until the last sprint rep.. I noticed my ID fell out of my pocket! I spent the next few minutes retracing my steps to find it! (I found in at the mid-way point of my run) As punishment for dropping it in the first place I jogged the rest of the way home, about half a mile.

After I eat dinner, I'll sweep the kitchen then rest until bed!

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Today I did weight lifting. One set of super slow reps with heavy (for me!) weights. Pull downs, chest presses, dumbell rows, pushups and squats. My muscle reach fatigue far faster with this method than with normal quick reps with low weight and high reps/sets. Definitely had my heart beating too!

I've been working on my yoga and flexibility as well. I have been trying for months to stand up from a back bend and thought it was near impossible. Last night I achieved it, twice! I did it again tonight! It's such a rush each time I'm able to stand and celebrate my accomplishment! I love it! The next step it to reverse it, stand to back bend then back up. I'm starting by using the bed as my landing pad. Not as far as the floor and softer so I don't crack my head! I'll be practicing every night as a part of my cool down/stretch.

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Today was a running day. I really love running, I just wish I was better at it!. I ran a mile as a warm up, than did tabata running. 20 seconds sprint, 10 seconds rest, 8 times total. Holy crap! After the 4th interval I was exhausted! I walked the next interval, then ran, and thought I was going to drop. I think I did 5 or 6 out of the 8 intervals. That is fine since it gives me space to improve! Good new though, I shaved 20 seconds of my mile! :D I clocked in at 8:30. The first time I ran a mile I think I did 9:40. That was about 2 years ago. I can't believe I'm running the mile almost a full minute faster! Talk about motivation!

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Such an awesome thread! I'm surprised more people haven't found it yet. You are off to a great start for the challenge.

If it would be helpful (or fun) for you to try to get more support from the group, the easiest way is to post on a few other threads. Some people will usually check yours out in return. [ok...edit that...I see that you are already doing that...people will get here eventually, there's lots of good stuff going on!]. The other trick is to add some more tags...for you "running" and maybe "yoga"

Congratulations on your backbend transitions!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

:redface: Thank you!! Such nice things you say!

I will take your advice and add more tags. Once work slows down I should be able to check out more of the other challengers posts. I love getting inpiration from others and new ideas!

I'm loving the back bends, but my boyfriend gets so nervous! lol Tonight I fell backwards and almost took out the wall. OOPS! More practice! :D

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Today I did about 30-40 minutes of yoga as an active rest day. I always feel so good stretching my body and I've seen my flexibilty improve. Worked on my back bend stand ups some more. Stood up three times! Also from standing, I went into a back bend with my hands on the bed, then walked my hands to the floor, then was able to stand. Progress!

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

So, today was supposed to be a running day, but I had to stay late at work today and by the time I got home it was already dark...and cold. Plus I have a blazing headache today for some reason. Instead of doing nothing, I shifted my weight lift day from tomorrow  to today and will run tomorrow. I did not want to do anything!! I know me, though, and one unscheduled rest day leads to two which leads to three which leads to disaster. I did to be doing something everyday to keep motivation up.

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Thanks Cookiebreaker! I'll do my best!

Today was a running day. I decided to do a long run today so I did 2 miles without stopping which is long for me! This is the longest I have ever run without stopping to walk! I clocked in at 19.17, which isn't too bad. Plus, I felt great! Once I stopped trying to over think it, my pace and breathing stabilized and I wasn't huffing or puffing or dying! lol. I probably could have gone farther, but I didn't want to push too hard and it was already dark and raining. Next week I'll go 2.5 miles and work on my speed a bit. Feeling accomplished tonight!!

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Thanks! ;)

Today I did yoga for 30 minutes. I didn't want to do anything.. but I knew I needed to do something. I'm going to have to rearrange my workout schedule this week. Tomorrow is supposed to be a running day but I found out today I have to work 12 hours tomorrow. That means I won't get home until about 9pm and I don't like running outside in the dark. PLUS it's supposed to drop into the 30's tomorrow night. Not conducive to running!  Here's the new plan.

Monday-weights

Tuesday-run

Wednesday-yoga

Thursday-run

Friday-weights

Saturday-run

Sunday-yoga

Then I should be back on track! Though, with my job, this could all change at a moments notice. My work schedule can change day to day. My wallet won't complain about another surprise 12 hour day though! I have all of my meals packed for tomorrow. I love running though and I can't wait until Tuesday!

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Today was a late day but I got my weights in... then there was cake. Oh well, it was delicious!

Week in review: Quest 1: eating-C+ because, cake happened. Every meal everyday was paleo except for a small slice of cake at night a few nights this past week. Saturday I had french fries. Delicious, delicious french fries. C+ and I don't regret a thing!

Quest 2: Running-A

Quest 3: Weight training-A

Cleaning- for the most part I've kept up with this. I don't know what this is so hard for me!

Yeah for run day tomorrow!

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Run went really well today! 20 minute interval run. 30 sec sprint  with 90 second rest/slow jog. Halfway through I thought I was going to die, but toward the end I started breathing easier and picked up my pace a bit. I feel fantastic! I did almost get hit by a car that was flying around a dead end, nearly hitting the trash can I was running behind... Oh well. Hopefully next run I'll get out of work at a reasonable time and be able to run while it's still a bit light!

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

great job on the run. glad to see steady progress dont be discouraged by some slips on bad food. it happens to us all. 

Thanks for the support! I'm not going to freak out over bad eating like I have in the past. I feel like my eating is pretty balances, even though there is cake! In the past I would tail spin, get depressed and guilty.. then eat the rest of the cake in one sitting! No more of that! I'm working on discipline and pacing myself. I used to think that being an adult meant that I could eat an entire cake for breakfast if I wanted to. Now I know that being an 'adult' means knowing that I CAN, but also knowing it is not wise and better to refrain.

Today was yoga. It's always hard to get starting but I always feel so much better once I finish. Tomorrow is another run day. I think I'll do my once-a-week long run tomorrow. I'm aiming for 2.5 miles. At least it's supposed to be above freezing for once!!

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Hi there ValkyrieGrace just swinging by from the Rangers Guild to say hi and see how you're getting on.

Loving your thread so far, especially your progression with your strength workouts - you're right going slow and heavy is far far far better than more reps so keep it up

Also love how you're not letting life thwart you - so many people are like "oh I can't do xyz today so I won't bother" - what's great to see is you say "I can't do xyz today because of something out of my control, but I still want to do something so I will do abc instead"

With that attitude along you will reach your goals!

• Like 1

Thanks for stopping by Daniel! I'm really enjoying the structure of this challenge. It has helped motivate me more than just going it alone. I think the right mind set and attitude is the ultimate for motivation and follow through. Sometimes I can even mentally kick myself when I start feeling tired and force a smile. Usually that helps me to get a second and even third or fourth wind!

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Today I ran and went about 2.5 miles. I had to stpo after two miles and help the neighborhood children find their run away dogs!

I think I need to rething my cardio/run days. It's getting too dark and cold lately. The only time I have to run is after work and it's too dangerous to run by myself in my neighborhood after dark. Joining a gym is out of the equation too because I hear other people go to gyms as well. I do have he Insanity program and I think I will start subbing an Insanity video for my run days. It's a shame, I really love running. Insanity is pretty freaking intense though.

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge