• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

elsfaire

Elsfaire Accompanies the Hobbit through Middle Earth

Week 1, Days 4-6 Update

Class went well. I was nervous until I got my outline completed, then it reduced to a very slight nervousness. Once I got to their house (this was a private class, which I do not usually do, but I am bending my rules to get back into the saddle again) and started talking with the expectant mom, I was able to relax. Through the class and answering their questions, I remembered how much I know about all of this stuff, including the little things that many other childbirth educators don't know. I still wish that I was able to spend more time on the part of pregnancy education I am truly passionate about - healthy lifestyle choices and preventing complications - but I am very happy to be back teaching. :)

Thursday was pretty good, but I was on a serious bender on Friday. Came to realize Friday night that I had been completely over-reacting. Hmmmm. Today I was normal again, even though I still had to deal with some less-than-pleasant circumstances (talking to my kids about grades and making them clean out drawers in their rooms)

Fitness:  8/14 points

Thursday: Did a lot of half things. Kind of walked some, kind of did a bit of bodyweight work, did some mountain climbers, and was pretty active while teaching class. Giving myself 1 point for the aggregate.

Friday: Did a long yoga/stretching session (1 pt), did 2 circuits of mountain climbers and pullup/chinup negatives, and walked around stores a lot (no point)

Saturday: 40+ minute walk with hubby, even though it was pretty cold. Also planning to do yoga tonight. (and some more mountain climbers) 2 pts

Mental/Emotional Health:  11/14 points

Thursday: Positive questions, and guided my students through a visualization exercise. I often find saying the visualization is more effective relaxation for me than listening to it, because I have to go to a relaxed state in order to get the right tone and pace of voice to induce relaxation in whomever I am working with. 2 pts

Friday: Did a lot of expressing of frustration, talked out some issues with a friend, took a meditation break in the parking lot a few times, totaling over 5 minutes. Also spend a considerable amount of time thinking and attempting to answer my positive questions. I eventually got to a much better space, though it was hard work and took a long time. 2 pts for the meditation and effort.

Saturday: Did a lot of thinking about what happened yesterday, and trying to redirect my thinking. Spent a little time connecting with the idea that 1 week from now we will be in New Zealand. Also did a short meditation. 2 points

Life Goal (Trip prep!):  5/14 points

Thursday: Ordered a bunch of stuff we will need for the trip: mostly snacks and supplements. 1 point

Friday: Got myself a new pair of hikers (my old ones had lost almost all of their tread), called the high school to make sure they had gotten the letter to excuse the absence (kids are missing 5 days of school), and worked on meal planning & finding gluten-free friendly restaurants. I think it might be easier to eat gluten and dairy free in NZ than it is in Atlanta. 2 pts

Saturday: Brought my other son to buy the clothes he was missing for the trip. I *think* that we are done buying anything we would need for the trip. I would like to get another pair of pants, but that is not essential. 1 pt

Positive things:

- Spending time with an awesome friend yesterday who was so supportive and listened to all my "stuff."

- Getting slower on my pullup and chinup negatives. I have decided to not worry to much about doing more  negatives in each set, but instead focus on doing them more slowly. On Friday (I think it was yesterday), I did 2 sets of 3 each of chinup, wide-grip pullup, and neutral-grip pullup negatives. Each negative was a slow count of 4 or 5 from top to bottom. I also needed less recovery time between the variations than I usually do. Hooray, progress!

- Mountain climbers seem to really work my core and back. :)

- My younger son is offering more information in conversation with me, and says he has decided to join the track team. Yay!

• Like 7

Friday: Did a lot of expressing of frustration, talked out some issues with a friend, took a meditation break in the parking lot a few times, totaling over 5 minutes. Also spend a considerable amount of time thinking and attempting to answer my positive questions. I eventually got to a much better space, though it was hard work and took a long time. 2 pts for the meditation and effort.

This is one of the things that shows how much you're growing :). You're aware that you are frustrated, you do something about it and afterrwards you feel better. Maybe you're not yet where you want to be, but you're making good progress :).

I'm going to steal the mountain climbers of you for my core workouts next week ;).

• Like 1

hey! your week sounds REALLY good, especially the class and the son telling you things!

I struggle a lot with expectations and what you said earlier about your trip worries are so familiar to me. it's hard for me not to feel like I'm totally able to make sure that everyone has a good time, or that I've prepared for everything, and then I lose my own fun in trying to meet everyone elses expectations - when I don't even confirm with them what they are trying to get out of it. this is especially hard for me at christmas because I want everyone in the family to have a wonderful meaningful time! but wonderful and meaningful doesn't mean the same to them as it does to me.

anyway, all of this is to say, maybe if you sit with your family at dinner or something and have a very dorky (words of my kids) conversation to find out what everyone is specifically excited about? so you can only focus on that one thing for each person. and they're on their own for creating their own happiness, anyway, so they can focus on that one thing too.

Glad the private class went well ! Doing slow negatives is smart.

Thanks. I was so happy when I was finally able to do negatives lasting 2-3 seconds instead of just basically controlling my fall, but since I do not have a way to add assistance, I think making the negatives a lot slower will help develop the strength needed to do a real pullup someday. We shall see... :)

This is one of the things that shows how much you're growing :). You're aware that you are frustrated, you do something about it and afterwards you feel better. Maybe you're not yet where you want to be, but you're making good progress :).

I'm going to steal the mountain climbers of you for my core workouts next week ;).

It is so good to remember that, especially since it did not feel at all like progress when I was stuck in it. But I am out, and all is well. :)

Credit Batwoman for the mountain climbers - it was the mini-challenge this week. :)

hey! your week sounds REALLY good, especially the class and the son telling you things!

I struggle a lot with expectations and what you said earlier about your trip worries are so familiar to me. it's hard for me not to feel like I'm totally able to make sure that everyone has a good time, or that I've prepared for everything, and then I lose my own fun in trying to meet everyone elses expectations - when I don't even confirm with them what they are trying to get out of it. this is especially hard for me at christmas because I want everyone in the family to have a wonderful meaningful time! but wonderful and meaningful doesn't mean the same to them as it does to me.

anyway, all of this is to say, maybe if you sit with your family at dinner or something and have a very dorky (words of my kids) conversation to find out what everyone is specifically excited about? so you can only focus on that one thing for each person. and they're on their own for creating their own happiness, anyway, so they can focus on that one thing too.

I appreciate the suggestion. I did actually consult the kids a lot while planning, so my fears are probably unfounded. However, my Hobbit is still trying to shake the influence of the One Ring, and is only beginning to practice positivity, so he is nervous that the boys will pull a "moody teenager" thing. It will probably all be fine and I just need to plan for that, and therefore make it happen. :)

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 7 Update

Busy day. Helped my hobbit with buying the charity items for his events this week (for *5* hours in Target. Ugh!). He is a bit nervous because we also need to prepare the materials for a few programs that will happen while we are away. We will get it all worked out fine, I am sure. :)

Fitness:  10/14 points

Sunday: Walked around the store for hours, and did mountain climbers and yoga. 2 points, darn it.

Mental/Emotional Health:  13/14 points

Sunday: Meditation and positive questions 2 points

Life Goal (Trip prep!):  6/14 points

Sunday: only laundry and such stuff, and looking through the LOTR and Hobbit film location books to see where else we might like to swing by as we drive around. Going to be nice and say 1 point.

Positive things:

-Kids both hung out with us and watched Jeff Dunham's new show on Comedy Central tonight.

- My new shoes seem like they will be good. :)

Week 1 Summary

One of the cool things about this challenge format is my summary is almost completely done just by logging. Sweeet! So here it is:

Fitness:  10/14 points: Great!

Even though I wanted to be doing more than this for fitness, it is more than I HAD been doing, so that is good.

Mental/Emotional Health:  13/14 points: Great!

I really do feel that this was great this week. I had a lot of rough spots, but managed to get out of them pretty well except for Friday. I spent a lot longer in the negative on Friday than I wanted to, but when I got out, I felt like I had actually addressed all the issues causing the attitude.

Life Goal (Trip prep!):  6/14 points: A good start

This is the section making me most nervous. What I hope is that I have been doing a ton of groundwork and there is not really that much prep left. I am not certain about that, though. :/

So, a good challenge start. I do have a mad dash for the next 4 days, though. In a good way. :)

For your entertainment (or not - it is not the best rap battles I have seen):

• Like 2

Friday: Did a lot of expressing of frustration, talked out some issues with a friend, took a meditation break in the parking lot a few times, totaling over 5 minutes. Also spend a considerable amount of time thinking and attempting to answer my positive questions. I eventually got to a much better space, though it was hard work and took a long time.

Mental/Emotional Health:  13/14 points: Great!

I really do feel that this was great this week. I had a lot of rough spots, but managed to get out of them pretty well except for Friday. I spent a lot longer in the negative on Friday than I wanted to, but when I got out, I felt like I had actually addressed all the issues causing the attitude.

Life Goal (Trip prep!):  6/14 points: A good start

This is the section making me most nervous. What I hope is that I have been doing a ton of groundwork and there is not really that much prep left. I am not certain about that, though. :/

Great work on your mental health! I think it shows great progress that you really addressed the issue while in the negative, and I'm positive it helped you get out of the negativity. It's weird how much putting issues into words can help, isn't it?

I wouldn't worry too much about the trip preparations if I were you (not saying I wouldn't do it myself, but...). Even if you don't prepare as much as you think you should before the trip, you're going to have a fantastic journey, and that won't be hindered by you forgetting or not doing some small thing before you leave. :)

• Like 2

For your entertainment (or not - it is not the best rap battles I have seen):

I love ERB!  So happy that Season 4 is finally here. :D

• Like 1

Yay for good shoes!

What helped me most with pull ups is leg-assisted pull ups with a chair. Maybe it sounds easier than negatives, but I found it trained the way "up" better than negatives did. It also allowed for longer sets ;). Basically, I went from chair-pull ups to full pull ups with the negatives complimentary to the full pull ups.

Pull-up-kitten shows how it pulls up:

CAT-03-JD0012-01P.JPG

Humans usually need to hang straighter though :P.

• Like 2

Great work on your mental health! I think it shows great progress that you really addressed the issue while in the negative, and I'm positive it helped you get out of the negativity. It's weird how much putting issues into words can help, isn't it?

I wouldn't worry too much about the trip preparations if I were you (not saying I wouldn't do it myself, but...). Even if you don't prepare as much as you think you should before the trip, you're going to have a fantastic journey, and that won't be hindered by you forgetting or not doing some small thing before you leave. :)

Thanks! Getting back to positive is getting easier (most of the time) when I am not able to stay there.

I know I should not worry about the trip preparations, but that is so hard for me...

Negative are a great help for pullups. I'm also a big pusher for assistance bands. I resisted  them for a long time, but I love mine.

Yay for good shoes!

What helped me most with pull ups is leg-assisted pull ups with a chair. Maybe it sounds easier than negatives, but I found it trained the way "up" better than negatives did. It also allowed for longer sets ;). Basically, I went from chair-pull ups to full pull ups with the negatives complimentary to the full pull ups.

Pull-up-kitten shows how it pulls up:

Humans usually need to hang straighter though :tongue:.

Thanks for the pull-up tips, ladies! I might have to try the chair thing. I am not sure how stable assistance bands would be on our over-the-door pullup bar, but that could work, too, if I can find some. There is SO MUCH about fitness that I am still clueless about. :redface-new:

awesome week 1!

I can't wait until we are all masters of the pull-ups. that will be so cool.

I agree - every little bit of progress makes me excited. I have a feeling I still have a long way to go, though.

• Like 1

Hey something just crossed my mind about your kids. Do they have any friends, know anyone about their age, who's been to NZ? Maybe they could talk to them and pick their brains so as to see what they'll be getting into--maybe that'll help with curbing the "moody teenager" thing.

Also, watch some Flight of the Conchords for language prep.

• Like 1

Hey something just crossed my mind about your kids. Do they have any friends, know anyone about their age, who's been to NZ? Maybe they could talk to them and pick their brains so as to see what they'll be getting into--maybe that'll help with curbing the "moody teenager" thing.

Also, watch some Flight of the Conchords for language prep.

I know they have talked about it at school, but I don't think they found anyone who has been there. Right now they are a bit moody because they are sick (ah, teenagers refusing to go to bed on time. Le sigh...) and I am making them collect schoolwork and help prep. I am sure their mood will improve tomorrow when they miss school. :)

Subbed! Yay new zealand

I'm curious about yor healthy pregnancy business, and would like to know more :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is great to have you here! I am excited about the trip, but also anxious because we have never done anything like this before.

The easiest way to find out about my healthy pregnancy stuff is at www.pocketpregnancy.com

There are links to some free resources (an introductory ebook, printable diet trackers, etc), and a link to my first ebook on pregnancy nutrition. I actually have drafts of booklets on every topic needed in pregnancy, but updating them and getting them ready for publication is taking longer than I had hoped. Maybe we could work out having you be a reviewer of some of the drafts... ;)

• Like 2

Oh oh pick me pick me! I'd love to be a reviewer. Since i had one child and am nourishing another one i could help maybe. Let me know!

I am often told i make good constructive comments when i review things

• Like 1

Oh oh pick me pick me! I'd love to be a reviewer. Since i had one child and am nourishing another one i could help maybe. Let me know!

I am often told i make good constructive comments when i review things

Cool i will check in with you on that at some point when my laptop is not being weird. :)

Yes- we are actually about to board the Air NZ flight from San Francisco right now. It has been a crazy couple of days, and I feel less than prepared, but we are on our way!

• Like 6

You are leaving tomorrow?? Already??? envy.gif

Yep. Went to the airport around 11 this morning. :)

You probably already on your way, but have an awesome trip!!!

Thanks! I am starting to relax a bit. :)
  • Like 1