tinkerer rebuilds the workshop

tinkerer

Crunching the crimson leaves scattered underfoot, the Tinkerer carried his pack from the foothills around the village. Though his face showed signs of a summer's worth of sun and his boots barely surpassed tatters, his gait was confident and quick. The stout rope slung over his pack was obviously well used and the staff in his hand was polished smooth from wear.

While I'd love to spend hours on the back story of the Tinkerer and his return to the village after a year's adventures in the mountains my real life adventures and work demand brevity. I hope that someday I'll be able to sit down and write - merely for the fun of it - the tale I have in mind of an Elven Blacksmith/Mountaineer. Today's tale however is about a busy 30 year old with a desire to improve his fitness.

Introduction:

My wife and I moved 400 miles this spring to be closer to family. We found an amazing house in need of a lot of work and I have a new job which also requires a lot of work. While we've stayed active over the summer, I want to improve myself over the winter. We both love rock climbing and I have discovered mountaineering is my sport of choice. As the weather in the mountains this time of year is terrible it's the perfect time to focus on training.

I was more or less burned out on NF after my last unsuccessful challenge with the Rangers when I got a message from KylieWyotie. I figured, if he can come back after a big break, I may as well try! Thanks for reaching out, man.

My focus is to improve my cardio abilities and my climbing abilites so that I can feel confident venturing into the mountains when the season is right. I hope to climb Mt. Rainier this summer and have some other more technical peaks in mind as well.

Challenge:

1 - Run a 6:00 mile (+2 dex) and a 20:30 5k (+2 sta)
2 - Climb two 5.11a routes at the gym w/o falling (+3 str)
3 - Success on Weekday Morning Routine (+2 con, +2 str)
4 - Home gym (+2 cha, +2 wis)
     Fix lights

Install pull-up bar and rings.
     Paint
     Floor covering
Bonus - Run with Roy-the-Dog 2x per week on average

How and why will I accomplish these tasks? Glad you asked!

1 - I will be moving the first week of the challenge. This week I'll run at least once. Following weeks, I'll run 3-5 miles at least twice. I will also, once per week, run a "time trial" for a 1-mile time. My fastest mile was 6:22 so I have my work cut out for me. I believe this is doable in six weeks if I actually try for it. +1 dex and +1 sta for each successful goal.

2 - Again, the first week will be a planned "skip". Following that, I'll be headed to the gym 1-2 times per week. The first time there, I will climb some 5-10 level routes and try some 5.11s. This should give me an idea of where I stand. I have the strength to climb 5.11 routes but need to work on skills. Practicing on routes for 5 weeks should result in success. +2 str for 1st successful climb, +1 for second.

3 - My morning routine will consist of 5-minutes ab/core work and eating breakfast (which I currently succeed at about 15% of the time). I'll start with planks but may venture into some L-lever work in the future. This is just designed to get me to think about fitness first thing in the morning.

1 Con - 24 Breakfast Points
2 Con - 27 Breakfast Points
1 Str - 24 Ab Points
2 Str - 27 Ab Points

4 - THIS IS MY FAVORITE GOAL! Our new place has a room which we'll be turning into a workout room. Long term, it may have some rock-climbing holds to practice on but it needs a few other items first, like lights. We've already added a sweet new french door which will be great for morning light. I'll figure out how to post progres pics of this as it progresses. +1 point for each element. Attributes to be assigned based on project results.

Bonus - My dog, Roy, needs a workout buddy. He loves to run but gets tired easily. I'll go on runs with him consisting of a mile at a reasonable pace. As his fitness improves this distance may increase. This goal will be delayed until he is out of his (ridiculous looking) cone-of-shame.

Wrap Up:

I think that's the challenge. I'm looking forward to trying this again and to catching up with the assassins. I'd love to get to know some others with climbing related goals, too!

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Dood!

I'm very excited to see the progress on the gym.  I had that as a goal in the past, it was so damn awesome to have my own place, made my way.

Congrats on the new place, and job :)  Is it in the same field as before? (feel free to pm me, or ignore me if you want to keep that private.)

Also I demand pictures of Roy, cause um, well dogs rock.

I look forward to catching up with you dood.

Have a great week!

Kyliewyotie

Level 15 Coyote Tinkerer
STR 27  DEX 18  STA 15  CON 14  WIS 14  CHA 12

Current Challenge

I also got a message from KW and here I am.  I'm starting to sense a theme. ;)

I'll be following your challenge closely for the following reasons:

1. I always enjoy your challenges.
  2. I also bought a house and will be moving/DIYing the first week (and I imagine the five following as well...).
  3. I will also be "skipping" some goals for the first week.
  4. I also have a new gym space to get up and running.

You've inspired me to take before/after photos of my projects!

• Like 1

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Subbing!  I'm working on some 5.10- 5.11a projects at my climbing gym, too.  Your home gym totally needs some climbing holds, or at least a hang board.  :)

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Kylie messaged me too, and here I am. Sweet! Have a good challenge!

Fun to see the "Class of 2013" together again!

I also got a message from KW and here I am.  I'm starting to sense a theme. ;)

I'll be following your challenge closely for the following reasons:

1. I always enjoy your challenges.
  2. I also bought a house and will be moving/DIYing the first week (and I imagine the five following as well...).
  3. I will also be "skipping" some goals for the first week.
  4. I also have a new gym space to get up and running.

You've inspired me to take before/after photos of my projects!

Don't forget to take "during" photos of work taking place. I always wish for more pictures with people doing things. Any plans for what you'll be putting in the gym?

Subbing!  I'm working on some 5.10- 5.11a projects at my climbing gym, too.  Your home gym totally needs some climbing holds, or at least a hang board.   :)

Woohoo! More climbing discussion is definately needed!

My wife suggested we just glue some actual rocks to the wall. I'm unconvinced that would be easier/better at this point. :)

Dood!

I'm very excited to see the progress on the gym.  I had that as a goal in the past, it was so damn awesome to have my own place, made my way.

Congrats on the new place, and job :)  Is it in the same field as before? (feel free to pm me, or ignore me if you want to keep that private.)

Also I demand pictures of Roy, cause um, well dogs rock.

I look forward to catching up with you dood.

Have a great week!

The job is in the same field. I'm running the water and wastewater utilties for a small city now.

Here is Roy. He's a goof-ball but a good dog.He can currently also pick up the National Weather Service broadcast.

post-7458-0-24433900-1415649080_thumb.jp

• Like 1

tinkerer

Fun to see the "Class of 2013" together again!

The job is in the same field. I'm running the water and wastewater utilties for a small city now.

Here is Roy. He's a goof-ball but a good dog.He can currently also pick up the National Weather Service broadcast.

Some people stayed with me even when I was away from here.  Glad to play catch up with them.

That's fantastic on the job!  I have since taken over engineering duties for my whole region of power plants.

Roy is awesome! and comes with great reception.

Kyliewyotie

Level 15 Coyote Tinkerer

Current Challenge

Days 1 and 2: Pretty good!

Day one I accomplished the morning routine and some planning for the workout room.

Day two (today) I had off as a Holiday. I went for a run first thing this morning (3 miles @ 7:16 / mile and 19 degrees F.) I really wish I had remembered my gloves. That pace is 41 seconds slower per mile than I need to hit for the challenge (6:35 min/mile). I'll chock it up to cold weather as I know that I can hit 3 miles at 6:50 (I did that a few weeks ago.)

Following the run we worked on our new house all day. No work done to the workout room but that is OK as today (and this week) are focused on moving in required items.

No running with the dog yet as he is still adorned with his cone. Perhaps I could take it off for a run and then put it back on...

tinkerer

I have noticed my wrists get sore doing planks (or pushups for that matter) because of being bent at 90 degrees. Anyone else (climbers maybe?) run into this issue and if so, what did you do?

All in all, a successful week of morning routines: 5/5! We're hauling boxes the next couple of days but next week seems promising for climbing AND running! Once moving is complete, home gym fun can begin...

tinkerer

Does the wrist issue affect your climbing, or is it just a problem when you're doing push-ups and planks?  My husband has problems with the 90 degree wrist bend (but no problems with climbing), so he uses parallettes or dumbbells for his push-ups and planks.  

I'd also make sure to work on some wrist mobility and prehab.  Both of these sites have a lot of good info for that:

http://www.globalbodyweighttraining.com/wrist-mobility-exercises/

http://idoportal.blogspot.com/2009/07/preparations-for-our-daily-training.html

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Does the wrist issue affect your climbing, or is it just a problem when you're doing push-ups and planks?  My husband has problems with the 90 degree wrist bend (but no problems with climbing), so he uses parallettes or dumbbells for his push-ups and planks.  

I was going to say the same thing, my buddy always uses dumbbells because of wrist.

Hopefully you had a productive weekend, when I moved I tried so hard to make it happen fast.  But it still felt like it lingered on and on.

Kyliewyotie

Level 15 Coyote Tinkerer

Current Challenge

Don't forget to take "during" photos of work taking place. I always wish for more pictures with people doing things. Any plans for what you'll be putting in the gym?

Squat rack, pull-up bar, dip station, bumper plates, dumbbells and pretty much the usual home set-up.  Only a couple of "oddball" editions in the works as of yet.  First, a climbing rope.  The last home gym was in a drywalled garage, this garage is unfinished... which gives me a bit of climbing room.  I may have to start on my butt and keep my legs in a straddled L-sit like position to get decent distance, but it's something!  Second, a pole.  My wife has upgraded her pole and I've claimed her old one.  I'm going to rubber coat it and then get to work.  Levers, flag progressions, etc.  A friend of mine teaches Chinese pole acrobatics and I'm hoping to drop in some of his classes.

I have noticed my wrists get sore doing planks (or pushups for that matter) because of being bent at 90 degrees. Anyone else (climbers maybe?) run into this issue and if so, what did you do?

I second the push-up/planks on bars or DBs and mobility work.  I also find that rolling the hell out of my forearms using an olympic bar in a squat rack does wonders.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Thanks for the wrist suggestions everyone. I have some dumbbells around somewhere I can use. It does only happen with the 90 degree bend for planks/pushups and not when climbing. I'll look into the mobility/rolling to try and improve the situation.

Moving happened but we're exhausted. I worked 12 hours today trying to get caught up on things I'd postponed. As a result, climbing will be one time this week. Tonight being a rest night is really needed.

Of to a mediocre start, breakfast: check. Planks: no check for today. At least I found the box with my work shoes!

Wolverine- that home gym sounds amazing!

tinkerer

Week two in the books with some progress and some room for progress...here's the wrap-up:

1 - Run a 6:00 mile (+2 dex) and a 20:30 5k (+2 sta)

I ran only once last week. 3 plus miles at 8 min/mile minus pace. My phone GPS wasn't/isn't working so I'm not sure of the actual distance, time, or pace. I may have to move indoors as it's pretty icy here. I don't mind cold or wet but breaking a wrist is out. My work has a treadmill I can use so I'm working out the logistics on that.

2 - Climb two 5.11a routes at the gym w/o falling (+3 str)

We made it climbing twice this week, counting today. Day one: not so hot. I hadn't been in weeks and the first time back is always a bear. I made it about six feet up two or three 5.11a's and then crashed. My arms were super sore from moving. Today was different, thankfully!

After a great night's sleep my wife and our friend from out of town headed to the gym. I felt fresh and warmed up on a couple of different routes. I climbed a 10.d and then tried an 11.a. The route setters were working nearby and had just downgraded it from an 11.d (appropriately downgraded I might add). It was just my style: vertical, technical, and crimpy. I made it to the top but fell once as I climbed myself into a predicament. After that I headed back to one the the 11a's I had tried Monday. It was a super overhung start with an arete finish. I sailed to the top and we called it a day.

Goal 50% accomplished!

3 - Success on Weekday Morning Routine (+2 con, +2 str)

Just stats here. 4/5 on planks and 5/5 on breakfast. I'm well on track, just need to keep up the routine.

4 - Home gym (+2 cha, +2 wis)
     Fix lights      Install pull-up bar and rings.
     Paint
     Floor covering

Although no real progress has been made on the specifics, we've done a lot toward being able to work on the specifics. I don't know how to evaluate progress but I know a lot of work has been done on the house.

Poor Roy-the-Dog. He finally got his cone off just in time for the ice to hit us. No official runs, but the backyard is big enough he get's to play fetch. Let's see: average of 75 feet per fetch, 5280 / 75 - about 70 fetches. Maybe I can work out some partial credit here.

• Like 1

tinkerer

Poor Roy-the-Dog. He finally got his cone off just in time for the ice to hit us. No official runs, but the backyard is big enough he get's to play fetch. Let's see: average of 75 feet per fetch, 5280 / 75 - about 70 fetches. Maybe I can work out some partial credit here.

Happy dog is happy dog.

Cone off is a win!

Ours is driving me nuts, she wont stop trying to jump and run all over.  I am having to crate her more to ensure she doesn't over do it after her surgery.

Your recap of climbing (although I don't know what the numbers really mean) sounds like it went very well.

Kyliewyotie

Level 15 Coyote Tinkerer

Current Challenge

Congrats on the 5.11!!!  You're ahead of me.  I'm soooo close on 2 different 5.11a's, but I haven't managed to send either one yet.  And wow for making it on a super overhung one!  I'm with you in that vertical, crimpy, technical routes (or corner routes with tons of mantling) are more my style than overhangs. 

My tutorials:

Ours is driving me nuts, she wont stop trying to jump and run all over.  I am having to crate her more to ensure she doesn't over do it after her surgery.

Your recap of climbing (although I don't know what the numbers really mean) sounds like it went very well.

Sad...at least she's energetic though! That's a good sign.

I would say a 5.11 is basically the upper level of what a casual climber can do without actually training and practicing. Routes are rated by first the level of protection needed. A 1 is a hike. A 5 requires a rope to be safe. 5.xx climbs are rated by difficulty. It used to be that 5.11's and 5.12's were the hardest thing that had ever been climbed. They started breaking them into gradations 5.10a, 5.11c, 5.12d, for example. Now the pro's are up to 5.15 something or other. Each grade is significantly harder...think about 1/month of training to move from 5.10a to 5.10b.

Congrats on the 5.11!!!  You're ahead of me.  I'm soooo close on 2 different 5.11a's, but I haven't managed to send either one yet.  And wow for making it on a super overhung one!  I'm with you in that vertical, crimpy, technical routes (or corner routes with tons of mantling) are more my style than overhangs. 

Thanks! Our new gym has a lot of overhang-y stuff so I'm really working to learn a new technique. It's actually great to get pushed into something new and difficult. I want to avoid ever thinking "oh, I'm a ____ climber, so that is going to be hard for me." Instead, I'll just be a "great, all-around climber who's ready for anything!"

tinkerer

Week wrap-up:

No climbing, no running. Not super happy about that.

Morning routine was 4 breakfast, 5 abs. Pretty happy about that. I got the family to do planks on Thanksgiving so that was fun.

Still working on "prep" work for the gym. I'm not sure if this will be successful with regard to the original goals but I remain optimistic.

tinkerer

Week 3:

Losing a little momentum posting on here. I hope others are doing well and continued to push themselves...

Running: No running last week. I believe that my goals are now going to be extremely difficult to achieve. Tomorrow morning's weather looks OK so I will head for a run before work. Rather than abandon my running goals I'm going to modify them to: start running 2x per week. Obviously I don't get the points for this but that is the best path forward.

Climbing: Climbed a second 5.11a at the gym Friday! Goal 100% completed! We also got a month pass so hopefully will be motivated to go more frequently.

Morning Routine: 100% this week. The fun news is my wife says she can tell a difference in my abs from pre-morning abs routine to now. So that's cool.

Gym: The lights are working, the flooring will be here Tuesday, it's cleared out...things are progressing nicely!

tinkerer

Sounds like things are on the up and up.

One goal complete already! woot!

Gym sounds like it is making progress.

Morning routine sounds like a win also.

Modifying goals isn't losing its finding a way to win.

Getting the email saying you updated made me jump on and check, thanks for the motivation dood. 

Kyliewyotie

Level 15 Coyote Tinkerer

Current Challenge