Tateman's 11th challenge: Train for the 15k... wait, what?

Tateman

Well hello guys.  I am back for my 11th challenge here at Nerd Fitness, and it might just be my most ambitious challenge yet.

So last challenge ended up being a bust for me.  A few things happened and I let things steamroll into bigger problems.  Despite that, I did have some success.

In my quest to get healthier, I find I am finding more ways to try to push my limits.  Things that seem impossible, I sudden want to see if I can do them.  Like the first 5k I ran.  I still have only one official 5k, but I have run a few 5k in my last challenge.

So before this challenge started, I signed up to race a 15k.  I have never even ran a 10k.  So honestly, this might be too much for me to handle.  Damn if this isn't some motivation to light a fire under my ass though ;)  I signed up for the Hot Chocolate 5k/15k race.  http://www.hotchocolate15k.com/sanfrancisco/ Sunday January 11th.  Walking is fine here, they just want you to be able to do a 15 minute pace, which I think I can.  My goal will be to run it all if I can.

So my main motivation is to push my training to get as ready as I can for the race.  I would love to be able to completely run it all, but I don't know how possible that might be for me to do.  Plus, there is chocolate at the end of the race ;)  Of course, I might not really partake in that part.

Now this next year (2015), I really want to do a few things.  I want to run the 3 different lengths of Spartan Races so I can get the trifecta badge.  Maybe a few others in there as well.  

There will be obstacles for me this challenge.  The first week, I am on a family vacation.  Posting from there now ;)  There will be Thanksgiving (which I did fine last year), and of course we will have Christmas after the challenge.  So I think I need to make sure I plan for each event best I can.

Goal 1:  Get Your Run On!

I am going to follow a training program to help get my mileage up, and hopefully, get faster as well.  I haven't decided which program to use though.  I was thinking I would follow the 10k plan from RunDouble.  The last week is the week of the race though.  The other option is to follow one of the programs on RunKeeper.  There are also plans on the garmin site, but I think I might go with runkeeper or rundouble.  The question is do I follow a 10k training, or go for half marathon type training.  I can start with either one, and adjust if need be.

Goal 2:  Time to refocus on food.

So I have been doing great in the last couple of challenges with tracking.  Now I need to continue with that, but really get back to eating healthier foods.  I am way too much into convenience.  I need to make eating healthier more convenient for me.  I am going to get back into bulk cooking.  Normally done on a weekend, but hell, if I need to do it on a Tuesday, why wait for the weekend ;)  I've also gotten back into the habit of snacking too much.  Even healthy foods.  So I am going to limit my snacking to once a day.  This will most likely mean no more night time snacking, which I need to quit.

Goal 3:  Get your butt to bed!

Once again, my sleep goal returns.  I am too much of a night owl ;)  This time i will change it a bit.  During the weekdays, I will be in bed at 12.  I will allow the weekends to extend a bit to 1 or 2am if I really need.  The target will be to get use to the midnight bed time again, then each night I will just get to bed.

Side goal:

Goal 4:  BW or weight exercises

So my side goal I want to focus on getting back into a good exercise routine.  I think I will try the ramp up method in this challenge.  Week 1 i am out of town, so maybe just one body weight exercise workout this week.  Next week is two days.  The week three, I should be up to three days total.  If all is good after that week, then I will start adding in more things to do.

Measurements:

Since I am out of town for the first week, i will added in measurements on day 1 of week 2.  Weight I can add from my last weigh in on Friday.

11/7 - Date -  12/21  

272 - Weight - 

Grading:

still working it out, but will probably just going point system like last time

Weekly summary:

• Like 1

The 15k isn't really so bad. I didn't race anything longer than a 5k until I did a 10 miler.

I followed the half plan on the Garmin site and just lined it up so I was hitting 10 miles just before my race, it worked well I like the idea of running based on time and not distance. I think I'm going to try one of Galloway's plan after the first of the year when I have to start getting ready for the early spring 10m and half in March and April.

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

You'll be fine with the 15K, and echoing Kaylya's advice. Hal Higdon has great plans to make sure you get to the finish line. For the novice plans he admittedly relies on race adrenaline to get you over the finish line, but race day adrenaline is a powerful force, and he knows what he's doing. ;)

Best of luck to you! 

• Like 1

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

Hooray sleeping more, also pushing to new distances!

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

15k / 10 mile training plans do exist! http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51127/15K-10-mile-Novice-Training-Program

That one is 10 weeks, you've got 9, but if you're running 5k now you should be able to start in week 2 or 3.

Yeah, I am starting a half marathon trainer tomorrow with RunKeeper.  Even losing another week, it looks like I should be ok.  I am looking at all kinds of training programs still, just in case ;)

The 15k isn't really so bad. I didn't race anything longer than a 5k until I did a 10 miler.

I followed the half plan on the Garmin site and just lined it up so I was hitting 10 miles just before my race, it worked well I like the idea of running based on time and not distance. I think I'm going to try one of Galloway's plan after the first of the year when I have to start getting ready for the early spring 10m and half in March and April.

There seemed to be plenty of plans out there to follow, I just had to settle down and pick one :)

You'll be fine with the 15K, and echoing Kaylya's advice. Hal Higdon has great plans to make sure you get to the finish line. For the novice plans he admittedly relies on race adrenaline to get you over the finish line, but race day adrenaline is a powerful force, and he knows what he's doing. ;)

Best of luck to you! 

I expect the race adrenaline will have to be going full force for me ;)

Butt to bed. Great goal! Good luck with this great setup!

Thanks.  Week 1 not so good, but it was vacation ;)

Hi!

You got this!

Thanks!

Hooray sleeping more, also pushing to new distances!

Yup, both good things.  I let myself slip back into bad sleeping habits.  Then that leads me being too tired to do things.

Hey! Good luck with your new challenge! :)

Can I get in on the hot chocolate part of that race?? ;) Good luck this Challenge, how is Week One going?

I looked in the FAQ to see, and sadly it is only for the racers.  I was going to tell my wife she can always wait around and have some chocolate haha.  Honestly, week 1 didn't go that great really.  I way overdid it on vacation. (eating and drinking)

Ok, so quick week 1 summary.

Well, I was on Vacation.  And I gained a lot of weight.  So this morning I was at 280lbs :(  So ok, I am done with that crap.  

During the first week, I did have a couple of good days in there.

We were staying the week up in the Ft. Bragg area.  Drove there Saturday.  The drive there was gorgeous.  One area of forest that I really wish I stopped to take pictures of.

Sunday we went to check out a light house that was just a short little drive.  Point Cabrillo Lighthouse.

15197729163_2961d3e790_z.jpgIMG_4308a by Will Tate, on Flickr

I noticed that there was walking trails to this place from the place we were staying.  So next day, I got up and hit the trail :)  I won't post every picture, but it was pretty much like this on most of the trail there.

15197728343_e3143a5eae_z.jpgIMG_4358a by Will Tate, on Flickr

The other days we checked out the local areas.  Went to the beach a couple of times too.  We went and visited the Point Arena Lighthouse as well.

15815273471_bcf4450b03_z.jpgIMG_4460a by Will Tate, on Flickr

I made climb to the top of that one.  457 steps or something like that they said.  Tallest lighthouse in California.  More pics in the flickr album.  So even though I ate all the bad things, and even enjoy some alcoholic beverages, the trip was great.

The place was kind of out in the middle of nowhere.  There were deer running around like crazy in the evenings.  So there was no early morning or night running for me.  Normally, I wouldn't have a problem at night.  there were no streetlights though, and I didn't want to be out running around and find a mountain lion.  Plus the roads were really narrow too.

So now that vacation is done, it is time for me to refocus my efforts.  The new World of Warcraft expansion is out, so that has been taking up a lot of time (mostly waiting in queues!)  I am tryign to make an effort to at least get time each day to come to NF.  Even if that means I don't need to game for a bit ;)

I went to bed at midnight last night.  Today my eating has been great so far.  I have to retrain my brain that it doesn't need so much food all the time.  These cravings will take awhile, so I have to bring out the will power.

I start my run training tomorrow.  Looks like a 3 mile run.  Following this half marathon training, I'll be setting new distance PRs in no time haha.

• Like 1

Hey Tateman! Didn't realize I didn't catch your thread (maybe because you didn't show up in Rogue Squadron...at least yet. 80P). Looks like you've got a great challenge ahead, 15k sounds crazy...but then again I've only done one 5k, and that was a pretty slow one ( I was at like 63 minutes or something.).But you've done some awesome stuff since joining the Rebellion, and I know you can get this done. Can't wait to hear how you make out with it!

• Like 1

Race:Gamorrean | Class: Adventurer10

{STR:27.5||DEX:3||STA:27||CON:52.50||WIS:35.5||CHA:16.5}

Inventory: Belt of Dietary Willpower

Accountibilibuddies:Rogue Squadron

Challenges --> 1-->2-->3-->4-->5-->6-->7--> 8-->9-->Challenge 10(Current)

Logs: | Fitocracy | Measurements | My Fitness Pal

Reach 180 lbs from 225 lbs (currently 225 lbs)

4.44%
4.44%

Hey Tateman! Didn't realize I didn't catch your thread (maybe because you didn't show up in Rogue Squadron...at least yet. 80P). Looks like you've got a great challenge ahead, 15k sounds crazy...but then again I've only done one 5k, and that was a pretty slow one ( I was at like 63 minutes or something.).But you've done some awesome stuff since joining the Rebellion, and I know you can get this done. Can't wait to hear how you make out with it!

Yeah, I have been playing catch up this week.  I need to jump down in on the Rogue Squadron group :)

Hey Tate, looks like you've been quiet, how's it going?

Race:Gamorrean | Class: Adventurer10

{STR:27.5||DEX:3||STA:27||CON:52.50||WIS:35.5||CHA:16.5}

Inventory: Belt of Dietary Willpower

Accountibilibuddies:Rogue Squadron

Challenges --> 1-->2-->3-->4-->5-->6-->7--> 8-->9-->Challenge 10(Current)

Logs: | Fitocracy | Measurements | My Fitness Pal

Reach 180 lbs from 225 lbs (currently 225 lbs)

4.44%
4.44%