Ensi Reboot #3 - The Age of Sisu

Ensi

Hi everyone! I'm Ensi, a 23-year-old Rebel from Finland. This is my third challenge since my Reboot and I'm very excited to start another challenge!

What you'll find here:

·         hormone friendly eating (I have PCOS)

·         dealing with emotional eating (mostly due to boredom or stress)

·         chocoholism

·         strength training at home and gym

·         fangirling

·         studying!

"Sisu" in Finnish basically means "to not give in when faced with difficulties, to exceed oneself". I'm going to keep a positive attitude and see where that takes me! :)

The Sweetest Day of the Week is something I'm going to keep from my previous challenges. I'm allowed to have one small portion of chocolate daily, and on Saturdays I can have whatever I want. This is simple, removes the guilt from eating sweets, and I don't feel like I'm deprived of anything. Even though I can have anything I want on Saturdays, usually I don't even want all that much.

GOAAAALS:

#1 Develop Mindfulness Skills

My life is very busy and hectic at the moment: a lot of studies, assignments and essays. Combined with my general anxiety and the SAD season, I need to find techniques to keep myself a happy little Rebel. So, every day I’m going to do something fun!

I also have the bad habit of staying up late and surfing online. I’m going to cut down the time I spend on the computer and try to go to the bed by 10.30 PM, read a book and sleep well.

- spend 20 minutes daily doing something calm and enjoyable: drawing, stretching, listening to music etc.

- no computer after 10 PM

#2 Mind Your Chocolate Milk, Numbnuts!

This goal is all about cutting down on my dairy, chocolate and nut consumption. To put it simply, I can have one portion of each daily, but not more. I’m also going to opt for goat cheese for dairy, when possible.

#3 Get Moving

I’m a bit worried with this goal already (almost wrote â€goatâ€). I’m almost back in health, but the flu and pneumonia I had have made me a bit paranoid with exercising. I don’t know how to set up this goal, but it’s important that the exercise isn’t too rough: I’m not training for any competitions or such, I’m simply aiming to boost my immune system and have energy through the dark autumn.

I’m going to aim for three workouts every week. To keep things simple, they can be any exercise I want. I’m also walking a lot daily.

I'm assigning attribute points a bit later :) Have a great challenge, everyone!

• Like 3

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

I'm also 'guilty' of emotional eating. I am managing it a lot better now but sometimes I just need to have something. My weakness is crisps!

Looks like a good challenge. Getting back to exercise after being unwell is tough. Today is my first day back at the gym in 3 weeks. Good luck!

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

Ensi! :cheerful:

Glad to see you are back, and that you are trying to build healthy habits around all the uni stress + pneumonia aftermath! :encouragement:

I love the idea of doing something fun or nice for yourself every day. :)

Have a great challenge, yourself! :)

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Yay! Ensi! Yay! 

Wow, so much in this challenge that I love and therefore am going to steal. (lol) In the order you listed: 

1. "Susi" is a most bodacious word, from this day forward I will strive to live my life harnessing the power of Susi. 

2. I also have PCOS, I don't know if I mentioned that before but it's a helluva bitch isn't it?

3. As you know I have long been an admirer of SDotW and will be definitely integrating this into my next challenges.

4. Well... all of the rest of it! 

You've made another super challenge with excellent goals. It's great to see you again and I wish you luck in this challenge, in particular, luck with the fitness "goat" ;) 

Lets go! x

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

I'm also 'guilty' of emotional eating. I am managing it a lot better now but sometimes I just need to have something. My weakness is crisps!

Looks like a good challenge. Getting back to exercise after being unwell is tough. Today is my first day back at the gym in 3 weeks. Good luck!

Hi there! :) Yes, emotional eating is a tough opponent. I've actually started to see that it might never fully go away, so it's important to find strategies you can use in your every-day life in order to manage stress and boredom with better ways :D

I'm glad to hear you're getting back to the gym! Have a great challenge! :)

Ensi! :cheerful:

Glad to see you are back, and that you are trying to build healthy habits around all the uni stress + pneumonia aftermath! :encouragement:

I love the idea of doing something fun or nice for yourself every day. :)

Swampliiing!  :redface:

Oh, I wouldn't miss a challenge for any price...! :D Thanks! Now that I look at my challenge, it looks kinda simple... But as some smart person said, You know you have achieved perfection in design, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery, whom I believe you recognize!)

Yay! Ensi! Yay! 

Wow, so much in this challenge that I love and therefore am going to steal. (lol) In the order you listed: 

1. "Susi" is a most bodacious word, from this day forward I will strive to live my life harnessing the power of Susi. 

2. I also have PCOS, I don't know if I mentioned that before but it's a helluva bitch isn't it?

3. As you know I have long been an admirer of SDotW and will be definitely integrating this into my next challenges.

4. Well... all of the rest of it! 

You've made another super challenge with excellent goals. It's great to see you again and I wish you luck in this challenge, in particular, luck with the fitness "goat"

Lets go! x

Woooot deftona!! I see you have a new awesome avatar there :D

1. Including some "susi" with "sisu" is wonderful, since "susi" means "a wolf" in Finnish! How about 'sisususi'? 'Susisisu'? The adjective for 'sisu" is 'sisukas', so we can also work with 'sisukas susi'. Welcome to Finnish 101

2. It is. Oh, it is. Let's deal with it together!

3. During the last challenge I tried to take SDotW a bit further and only eat sweets on Saturdays, but it turned out to be too limiting and I started to feel frustrated with situations like "I'm going to grab a coffee with a friend and can't have even a small piece of chocolate :(". So, a small daily portion it is!

4. ALL THE THINGS!!

Thanks, deftona! I'm keeping it focused and simple this time around, and sticking to the goals through the challenge.

Let's go(at)!!

Ed; "You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message"

WHAT HAVE I DONE

• Like 2

Starting measures:

170 cm, 85 kg

I've been stalling at 85 kg for a couple of months now. Let's make that go down by 2 or 3 kg by the end of the challenge, shall we? :)

Day 1:

I've organized myself for the challenge today, and eaten my daily portions of dairy, chocolate and nuts. I finished my English discussion course and came up with a topic for my literary analysis essay. I walked to the city centre (1h 30min of walking today), whrere I bought two basic tank tops and ate at a pizza buffet restaurant - oh, don't worry, I ate only a very slight piece of tuna pizza and stuck to the salad buffee! :D I had a gift card to that restaurant that had to be used before Christmas, so I decided to use it today. I had a small portion of soft ice and chocolate dressing for dessert (my daily portion).

And now it's time to come up with something fun! Let's see... Oh, I need to wash the dishes.

Once I'm done washing the dishes, I will play GTA for a moment :D And I would very much like to start to work on information tech assignments we were given today (due next week's Monday). It's basically writing programmes in Java, which solve given problems. It's a lot of fun writing the code and trying it out!

Feels great to start a new challenge! :)

• Like 3

You mean to tell me you told me us a Finnish word and it took me less than ten seconds to get wrong?! It's official. I am unteachable. But in the interests of maintaining my air of street smarts lets pretend I knew Susi meant wolf and that's what I was going for all along, right? Right! :D

Ed; "You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message"

WHAT HAVE I DONE

Oh no, you broke the internet! 

Great start to your challenge, the meal sounds lovely and you exercised self control with the pizza because you're awesome! Glad to hear you got some rest time in too!

• Like 1

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay! Ensi challenge is up. Are you taking any hitch-hikers along? I'd also say your challenge looks simple, but very profound. ;)

• Like 1

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

STR: 10.5 / DEX: 1 / STA: 2.9 / CON: 22 / WIS: 2 / CHA: 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Current challenge

Battle Log: No Quitting!

Nerdfit character: here

You mean to tell me you told me us a Finnish word and it took me less than ten seconds to get wrong?! It's official. I am unteachable. But in the interests of maintaining my air of street smarts lets pretend I knew Susi meant wolf and that's what I was going for all along, right? Right! :D

Deftona The Unteachable! :D Don't worry about it, I hold in the highest regards anyone who even attempts to express themselves in Finnish. :)

Oh no, you broke the internet! 

Great start to your challenge, the meal sounds lovely and you exercised self control with the pizza because you're awesome! Glad to hear you got some rest time in too!

Again??

Thanks! To be honest, my problems don't lie with pizza, hamburgers, bread or the like - the bread somehow feels "empty" and pointless to me :D It's the "real stuff" (as in chocolate, the filling, the topping, etc) that is problematic. Hmm. Maybe I should start to see "the real stuff" pointless, as well? As in, "this is pointless and eating this is just going to take space from better foods". I'll try it out!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay! Ensi challenge is up. Are you taking any hitch-hikers along? I'd also say your challenge looks simple, but very profound. ;)

Alarion! Happy to see you! :D Of course you can tag along as we drive through the Highway of Awesomeness towards the Sunrise of Ultimate Destiny. It's gonna be great. Really!

This autumn and the darkness are horrible, by the way. I'm hungry all the time!! o__o I know that I'm eating enough, so I'm just keeping myself hydrated (a lot of water and tea) and take a nap every day to curb the hunger. I'm just enduring the hunger - I know that this is a transition period from warm summer to dark winter, so this is normal. Adding some sweet potato to my diet could give me some good carbs and boost my energy levels.

Getting back on track with my diet is a big deal right now. I've started to slip during my sickness, and I bought a couple of big dark chocolate bars. Once I realised what I was doing, I was able to stop. Let's keep looking forward :) Tomorrow is Tuesday, and I will do a light bodyweight workout at home.

WHAT HAVE I DONE

I have done it numerous times. Really.....that's such a bummer.  :P

I found you!!

Nice challenge Ensi!  :) Sound start for making progress back after the illnesses. And, just take it easy with the exercise, you're right, it's not a competition.  :)

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

• Like 1

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Hello, fellow Finn! Nice to see that I'm not the only one here :) I love the name of your challenge since sisu is definitely the thing to have in these challenges! I'll definitely pop in every now an then to see how you're doing! 

Oh my goodness! Nice to meet you, Lilia! :D There are indeed not many Finns here, but it's kinda understandable. I found NF accidentally when I was doing research on how to become an assassin (research for writing, nothing more o__o). This here is the very first NF article I ever read! How did you find NF?

I found you!!

Nice challenge Ensi!   :) Sound start for making progress back after the illnesses. And, just take it easy with the exercise, you're right, it's not a competition.   :)

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Ash! <3 "I found you" could sound so wrong if it came from a non-friend...

You're right, it's no use starting crazy exercise just after recovering from being ill for a long time. I'm spending around 30-40 minutes around each workout. My goal is to sweat, but I don't worry about how much I lift or how many reps I do. Just getting back to business :)

Woah, just had my ninja period. As in, I never saw them coming. But now that I think about it, that explains why I was so tired on Sunday and had huge cramps yesterday. Just wasn't expecting them in another two or three days :D Oh well.

I just had breakfast. It's raining outside and I should start packing my bag and go to my studies... On the other hand, I could skip these two lectures, since all the material is online.

... I stay home and study for my exam on Friday.

tumblr_md65p8dSuK1rjwsyqo1_500.gif

I'll also do a light workout in a couple of hours. I'm still coughing a bit, but it might be the cold weather that's causing it. My fav workout music at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg3l3Hmiu4E

• Like 2

Ash! <3 "I found you" could sound so wrong if it came from a non-friend...

Lol, yes it could, but I am also well known for stalking. ;)

• Like 1

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Oh my goodness! Nice to meet you, Lilia! :D There are indeed not many Finns here, but it's kinda understandable. I found NF accidentally when I was doing research on how to become an assassin (research for writing, nothing more o__o). This here is the very first NF article I ever read! How did you find NF?

Nice to meet you too! I actually stumbled here via imgur. There was a picture about how to get fit and someone had commented "Nerd Fitness is kinda cool." When I saw that, I was intrigued and decided to check Nerd Fitness out. Steve's blog convinced me to stay ^^

Woah, just had my ninja period. As in, I never saw them coming. 

Haha, those are inconvenient! Thanks for the mental image of a ninja period :D

• Like 1

Level 3 Hobbit Adventurer

Challenges: 1 2 Current

Accountability group: The Cutlasses      

STR 4 | STA 5 | DEX 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 | CHA 5 

Like the challenge!  And we'll be hear to cheer you on especially if with challenging goal 3!  Glad to hear that you've almost evicted the illness out of your body.  

And "ninja period" is a great term.

• Like 1

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

sisu_na_110.jpg

Here, Ensi, I found Sisu for you (with additional soldiers to go with it). Perhaps you'll find it useful in fighting off any flu, pneumonia, food cravings and such. ;)

• Like 2

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

STR: 10.5 / DEX: 1 / STA: 2.9 / CON: 22 / WIS: 2 / CHA: 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Current challenge

Battle Log: No Quitting!

Nerdfit character: here

Nice to meet you too! I actually stumbled here via imgur. There was a picture about how to get fit and someone had commented "Nerd Fitness is kinda cool." When I saw that, I was intrigued and decided to check Nerd Fitness out. Steve's blog convinced me to stay ^^

Haha, those are inconvenient! Thanks for the mental image of a ninja period :D

The blog is great :) And haha, I guess ninja period is very accurate? I mean, it can happen whenever, where ever, and you never see anyone, but suddenly there's some pain and a lot of blood? I'm so sorry

Like the challenge!  And we'll be hear to cheer you on especially if with challenging goal 3!  Glad to hear that you've almost evicted the illness out of your body.  

And "ninja period" is a great term.

Great to see you again, jaex! :) And thank you! I completed a 30-minute kettlebell workout today, and now it's kinda scary to wait and see, how I'll feel in the morning. Feeling OK so far...! And maybe from now on I'll refer to my period as "just got attacked by ninjas". still so sorry

sisu_na_110.jpg

Here, Ensi, I found Sisu for you (with additional soldiers to go with it). Perhaps you'll find it useful in fighting off any flu, pneumonia, food cravings and such. ;)

THANK YOU! :DD This is how we roll over all the sugar monsters and illness in the world...

Day 2:

Daily portions of chocolate, nuts and dairy eaten. Also completed a 30-minute workout with two 6-minute kettlebell sets. I was going to do three 6-minute sets, but I was seriously sweating and pushing myself already, so I left it at two. It's super tough for me to stop exercising before I've met my set goals for the workout, so I feel proud that I was able to remind myself that I'm still recovering. Most of the weightloss happens with the diet anyway, so exercise doesn't need to be that hard. *keeps telling herself that ober and over again*

Been feeling a bit tired today, because period. Tomorrow I'll have a long day with my studies, so I've taken some time to relax and watch Game of Thrones. Got seasons 1-3 on blu-ray. I've seen them already, but I'm rewatching now in better quality. I was also depressed and suffered from bad anxiety the first time I watched seasons 1 and 2, so now I'm able to pay more attention. Can't wait to get season 4 on blu-ray as well. HQ Oberyn Martell, yes please :)

I ate some avocado and goat cheese for breakfast, chili salmon with a lot of salad for lunch and chicken with some vegetable soup for dinner. Also had a big bunch of salad, and I've also had my daily portions of chocolate (tasted so gooood), nuts and dairy. I really paid attention to how I felt like snacking between breakfast and lunch, and was able to avoid snacking by drinking tea and some coffee. Getting my head back in the game, yooooosh >:I

• Like 4

Those are some delicious meals you had today. Chili salmon sounds amazing!  Good job today.

Delicious, indeed! I had the salmon at Uni restaurant, so there was also the lovely aspect of "no need to cook or wash the dishes myself". :D I also try to have some self-made vegetable soup in the fridge at all times, as well as avocados, nuts and the such.

Alrighty then, it's morning and I'm feeling OK :) Went to bed at 10 PM, which was probably a bit too soon (since it was hard to fall asleep), but at least I got 8 hours of sleep. Today it's a going to be a long day with my studies, and in the evening I'm attending a comics workshop! Have a lovely Wednesday, everyone!

• Like 2

I ate some avocado and goat cheese for breakfast, chili salmon with a lot of salad for lunch and chicken with some vegetable soup for dinner. Also had a big bunch of salad, and I've also had my daily portions of chocolate (tasted so gooood), nuts and dairy. I really paid attention to how I felt like snacking between breakfast and lunch, and was able to avoid snacking by drinking tea and some coffee. Getting my head back in the game, yooooosh >:I

Wow, those meals do sound awesome (goats cheese is one of my favourite things ever) Have a most excellent Wednesday yourself!

• Like 1

Nice to hear other people's opinions about my foods! I'll report them every now and then... Right now:

Day 3:

It's totally over 10 PM and I'm typing this T__T I lost my sense of time listening to this:

So, uuum. Today's been ok! I've had my daily portions of everything, eaten a lot of veggies and I'm feeling OK. There's still some weird flu-like sense in my throat, but eh. I felt a bit anxious this morning, but that passed as I just told myself to chill with everything. Sometimes stuff just gets overwhelming :D

Time to put the computer away for today. Good niiiight! :)

• Like 1

Nooooooooooo feel better soon, keep going you can do it, well done on week 1 part 1 :)

Thanks! Feeling better already! :)

Noooo, not flu again?! I hope it's just a fleeting poorly throat this time and not pneumonia like last time :(

I think it was just a reminescent of pneumonia, I'm better now! Hooray!

Yay for eating well!  :peaceful:

Boo for illness!  :neglected:

Feel better!

Yay and boo and yay! :D Thanks, jaex, I'm feeling better again!

Day 4:

To make things clear (to myself):

daily portion of

- chocolate: 20 g

- nuts: 8 regular nuts, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter

- dairy: 1 dl of butter milk, 2 slices of regular cheese, 2 slices of goat cheese

It's hard to keep the daily limits in check, when you haven't really stated, what they are :D Had a little extra today, because I went to Uni sports and got a good workout. The first 30 minutes focused on the neck and shoulders, and the other 30 minutes on the core. The first half was a bit lighter, but the core session... Phew! Got a good workout for my abs! And exercising alleviated my period pain, which is brilliant. I'm going to put the kettle on and stay up late studying. Tomorrow I have an exam at 9 AM, and there's still some revision to do. Nevertheless, I feel like I'm going there prepared :)

I'm starting to make some friends at the information tech faculty, which I wasn't expecting to happen. Don't know why, I just expected to be different from the people there (there's this atmosphere of "humanities vs. real science" going on, unfortunately), but I was wrong. :D Actually, I'm starting to see that it would be very benificial for some of my friends at humanities to study information tech, as well. Feels wonderful to have so many people struggling with the exact same assignments and solving them together!

So, today I've had my daily portions of chocolate, dairy and nuts, and another workout (2/3). Am feeling very happy about everything :) And it's almost weekend!

• Like 3