Asuka

Hi Everyone! 

I am JuMun and this is my first challenge! 

Based on everything I read so far I want to become an assassin, but with kinda ogre nature it is going to be hard... So let's start and keep on track! :)

For my first challenge my Main Quest is to become Fit and Toned with a side of Looking good naked.

My goal for this 6WC is to lose weight (6kg - preferable of fat) and gain muscle (3kg - please let me know if that's unrealistic...) all the while being more emotionally distanced and relaxed.

My goals are:

- Do a strength training routine every weekday morning (+3STR, +2STA) (100%=3+2. 80%=2+1, 60%=1+0, <60%=0)

- Eat less than 50g of carbs every day (even on weekends *sigh*) (+5CON) (100%=5, 6/7=4, 5/7=3, 4/7=2, below 4=0)

- Meditate every day, starting at 1 minute the first day and increasing by 1 minute each week (thank you Steve for inspiring this goal - I need it very much)  (+5WIS) (100%=5, 6/7=4, 5/7=3, 4/7=2, below 4=0)

Let me know if you thins this is doable / ridiculous / out of there / too easy! 

Thank you all for your help ^_^

Cheers,

JuMun

• Like 1

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

what kind of strength training will you be doing?

You might notice that someone has added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Assassins and/or Warriors to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

what kind of strength training will you be doing?

Good luck

AB xx

Hi Blaidd!

Thank you for your help ^_^ I've seen many of your posts and found them most useful!

Right now I'm focusing on bodyweight strength training. Since I am overweight, my body is more than I need to weight myself. I started with the Beginner Bodyweight workout and although I am still doing pushups on an inclined plane, I found it really helps me gain muscle.

I started looking into other bodyweight strength training routines too to be able to do them every day without overtiring my muscles (just be nicely sore the next day!). While before I could not even do 1 pushup on my knees, now I can!

My ultimate goal for the end of the year: do 1 pull-up. We have a small fitness area in my complex building and the pull-up bars have always looked so scary to me. So I decided to conquer them. ^_^ But for that to happen I first need to develop some arm and back muscles!! Any advice you (or anyone else!) may have to develop back muscles is welcome!!!

Thank you for the support!

JuMun

• Like 2

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

Here's some more links, JuMun, for the Assassin's Guild and helpful resources!

For more information about the guild, stop by the Info & Announcements thread:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/55832-guild-information-announcements-subscribe/

The Assassin's Phonebook lists the names of people who are working on various aspects of fitness (http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56083-assassin-phonebook-see-whos-working-on-what-this-challenge/) and life changes.  This is a great place to connect with someone who is working on goals similar to yours.  Don't be shy about following them or sending a message if you have questions!!!

The assassins are a friendly and supportive guild.  Stop by the Assassin's Den (http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/53568-the-assassins-den-guild-chat/) – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introduce yourself.  You can always ask questions there!!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, let me know.  You can grab my attention by using the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic (http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/55820-chris-tiens-annual-christmas-special/) or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top right of the screen).

Someone from the Assassin's Guild will stop by every week to check on your progress, but don't be a stranger!!  The most successful people around here reach out and get support from others - novices and veterans alike!  A great place to meet up with other (new) Assassins is in the Assassin Initiates Accountabilities Group:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/55836-level-1-assassin-initiates-chatqa/ - stop by when you have a chance!!

To build up to a pullup, you can do various things including doing "let downs" and dead hangs.  Doing rows will help you build up the shoulder and back muscles you need.  I personally am doing assisted pullups (you can use a machine or resistance bands), but here are some other ideas:  http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/coach-i-cant-do-pull-ups-7-tips-to-get-you-there

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Accountability! 

In order to truly stick to my challenge, I built a googledoc to help me keep track of my efforts / progress and to be more honest about it with the world at large... and the assassins in particular. Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PDiugL3kiwl3jVDZGNMe5hPs84VmjVKzHR0GtzajfMY/edit#gid=0

I'm also reviewing my grading system just to make it doable, not punitive, and adding rewards (what do you mean Tiramisu is NOT a good reward??):

- Strength training: 1 point for day when it is done, 0 when it is not, minimum required to grade 1 is 2x beginner bodyweight workout, additional points for working out on weekends (catch-up); grading: 30 points=A (3+2), 28-29 points=B (2+1), 26-27 points=C (1+0), less than 26=F

- Carbs control: 1 point for full carbs control (no excess, barring 1 daily allowance), 0.5 points for moderate carbs control (daily allowance + 1 excess), 0 for more than 2 slips and negative points (may go VERY negative) for all out overeating (I'm looking at you pancakes!!), catch-up point: full no carbs day (no milk, no daily allowance, lean meat and veggies only!) +0.5 (MAX 1.5 points per day); grading: >37 points=A (5), 34-37 points = B (4), 30-33 points =C (2), 25-29 points = D (1), <25 points = F

- Meditation: 1 point for each day meditating the full time planned (no naps do NOT count!), 0.5 point for doing at least 1 minute (beyond the first week), 0 for not doing it, no catch up but extra point for fully emptying my mind and NOT letting parasite thoughts creep in: +1 point if done right (if it becomes easy I will stop counting it), grading: >37 points=A (5), 34-37 points = B (4), 30-33 points =C (2), 25-29 points = D (1), <25 points = F

REWARDS!!! I will follow what I saw in another challenge and make them adding up (so if I get to A I get rewards A+B+C+D!!)

A= A trip to the hair salon with all the bells and whistles

B= A massage at the sap next to my house (I need it so much!!)

C= The Boy London T-shirt I want so much but which is CRAZY expensive for a T-shirt

D= A pat on the back and the right to move on the the next challenge

On to the Challenge now. May determination, strength and the ability to get back up support all of us on our quest to improve ourselves! 

JuMun

On being able to make up for mistakes and failures

I'm one of these people who think even when you made a mistake, you're able to make up for it. So you failed your first assignment, you can work harder on the next and overall come out a winner. Second chances exists - actually plenty of chances exist, especially in a 6WC. Being kind to yourself is the first step to being successful (kind, not permissive). 

Yesterday was one of those days when I felt it was NOT going to be a good day. I did NOT want to exercise, I felt tired despite the caffeine, I was even afraid of going to dance class even though I love that. I was full of self-pity and had to make myself wear a pink sweater so I wouldn't look so goth in my all-black outfit. I was back to my 13-year old fat self, full of insecurities, and desperate for a dark corner, a box of chocolates and time away from the world. 

Except now I have a grading sheet. A googledoc, seemingly nonthreatening, but for me, a nice scorecard where I can prove to myself and where the world (or at least the people with the link ^_^)  can see that I'm not this fat kid anymore. I have fat kid moments, impulses and sometimes longings. And given my love for chocolate, those are not going away anytime soon. I'm fine with it. For me the happiness that comes with chocolate is worth the calories. So yesterday was a harder day. So I had many bites of sweets here and there (an some French fries), and only did cardio for 25 minutes (then 90 minutes of dance class, but these don't count towards the 6WC) instead of strength training. It's ok. 

The battle is long and no one should be penalized for a bad day.

But I don't believe in "passes" either. When you have a free pass, it's more likely you are going to use another one. You have to earn these moments of chocolatey goodness. Yesterday was hard, but I will catch up. It will be harder (hello no milk day!), but I can make it up for it. Maybe I can add extra points for additional cardio when done beyond strength training. Maybe I can compensate for carbs if I don't eat any fat, cut back extra on calories or workout super super hard.

We need both carrot and stick, but before the stick gets used, let's find ways to make up for past mistakes. 

I will do extra strength training to compensate. I will cut even more carbs. I will get back on track. Then I will pass, with flying colors. 

• Like 1

On being able to make up for mistakes and failures

I'm one of these people who think even when you made a mistake, you're able to make up for it. So you failed your first assignment, you can work harder on the next and overall come out a winner. Second chances exists - actually plenty of chances exist, especially in a 6WC. Being kind to yourself is the first step to being successful (kind, not permissive). 

Yesterday was one of those days when I felt it was NOT going to be a good day. I did NOT want to exercise, I felt tired despite the caffeine, I was even afraid of going to dance class even though I love that. I was full of self-pity and had to make myself wear a pink sweater so I wouldn't look so goth in my all-black outfit. I was back to my 13-year old fat self, full of insecurities, and desperate for a dark corner, a box of chocolates and time away from the world. 

Except now I have a grading sheet. A googledoc, seemingly nonthreatening, but for me, a nice scorecard where I can prove to myself and where the world (or at least the people with the link ^_^)  can see that I'm not this fat kid anymore. I have fat kid moments, impulses and sometimes longings. And given my love for chocolate, those are not going away anytime soon. I'm fine with it. For me the happiness that comes with chocolate is worth the calories. So yesterday was a harder day. So I had many bites of sweets here and there (an some French fries), and only did cardio for 25 minutes (then 90 minutes of dance class, but these don't count towards the 6WC) instead of strength training. It's ok. 

The battle is long and no one should be penalized for a bad day.

But I don't believe in "passes" either. When you have a free pass, it's more likely you are going to use another one. You have to earn these moments of chocolatey goodness. Yesterday was hard, but I will catch up. It will be harder (hello no milk day!), but I can make it up for it. Maybe I can add extra points for additional cardio when done beyond strength training. Maybe I can compensate for carbs if I don't eat any fat, cut back extra on calories or workout super super hard.

We need both carrot and stick, but before the stick gets used, let's find ways to make up for past mistakes. 

I will do extra strength training to compensate. I will cut even more carbs. I will get back on track. Then I will pass, with flying colors. 

You've got a positive attitude, which will take you far!  Even if you didn't do what you set out to do, you did something - and that's more than many people can say.  Our fitness journeys begin with small steps. ^_^

Just a note: your body actually needs fat - the "fat will make you fat" rhetoric isn't true!  So I wouldn't cut fat in order to make amends - just make sure you're picking the more healthful kind, as opposed to, say, eating deep-fried foods.  Things like olive oil, avocado, fatty fish, even whole milk (if you have no lactose intolerance) can only help you!

Best of luck going into week two - and keep us updated on your strength training progress!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

You've got a positive attitude, which will take you far!  Even if you didn't do what you set out to do, you did something - and that's more than many people can say.  Our fitness journeys begin with small steps. ^_^

Just a note: your body actually needs fat - the "fat will make you fat" rhetoric isn't true!  So I wouldn't cut fat in order to make amends - just make sure you're picking the more healthful kind, as opposed to, say, eating deep-fried foods.  Things like olive oil, avocado, fatty fish, even whole milk (if you have no lactose intolerance) can only help you!

Best of luck going into week two - and keep us updated on your strength training progress!

Thanks a lot starsapart! 

So far it's going relatively ok - a little more carbs than I want to, so ketosis is clearly not happening everyday, but I am fine with it. I'd rather go a bit more slowly and eat chocolate than deprive myself of everything ^_^. I usually drink milk in the morning - one last hope that I can keep growing up haha.

Thanks for all the support!!

• Like 1

Week 1 overview.

I was not super lucky this week with some family visiting, a couple of emotional days (leading to chocolate eating) and some tiredness from the change in workout.

Overall not s super week:

The good: Meditation. Did it every day and research good meditation techniques because I feel I'm really bad at it. I think it is also helping in everyday life by allowing me to leave my work behind once I leave work. Not an easy feat. Keep going!

The bad: Carbs control. F. Not matter how I count. I thought I was doing good overall before I was counting the carbs everyday. Nope. Today was a full no carbs day and BOY was it hard. And then I got pressured into eating some tiramisu. *sigh* I did feel much better afterwards, so I got some points for effort. Still if I want to get full marks there, I will have to seriously rethink my snacking habits and my breakfast. Since I drink milk in the morning, I'm carb-loading from 7am on. Will need to find something else in which to mix my protein shakes!! I guess water will have to do... I feel that carbs control is going to be a giant game of catch-up. But I'm ok with it. Nutrition is hard for me - I basically workout to be able to eat chocolate!! ^_^

The ok: Strenght training. Since I'm only giving full marks for strength training (versus cardio or walks even days out), I'm not scoring 100% well there. Plus I have to make adjustments to my sleeping habits because it seems strength training is tiring me much, much more than cardio used to! I feel tired all the time, which doesn't help with the desire to strength train the next day. Everything will go better from next Sunday on (that's my exam day), so I'm just waiting for that to happen and compensating. I only have a little catch-up to do, so it's ok ^_^.

Overall, I am seeing how hard 6WC is compared to what I used to do (what do you mean watching fitness videos on Youtube is not the same as exercising??). But I know it will be worth it in the long run.

I'm also regularly (a.k.a. 3 times per day) checking my weight, body fat and % muscle. I know it's crazy but I love to track these numbers. My overall goal is to register at 20% body fat on my scale (which I think is underestimating), from my current 29%. I am trying to make that happen at the end of the next 6WC but with the holiday period in between I wonder if I'm going to be able to. I will still try. Cutting carbs has worked well for me and has enabled me to compensate for some excess chocolate which would have had a much more nefarious effect on a full carbs diet. My concern is after and the maintaining of the weight - but I am getting ahead of myself. Let's focus on these 12kg to lose and then we'll see what we do ^_^.

Question for our readers out there: I read that a purely liquid diet (aka protein shakes 2 to 3 times a day) is bad, because more calories are used to digest solid food (obviously). But I find protein shakes an excellent way to eat fast, with little to no carbs (except if mixed with milk) and without excess calories. Add a fruit to that for the nutriments / vitamins, and I thought it was a pretty good meal for the fat-losers among us. Any thoughts? I really struggle on no carbs day / feel bad watching other people eat carbs, while when I drink a protein shake, I just tell myself it's protein shake day so that's it and feel no bad feeling. How else can I control carbs better?

Thanks for all the support and the help! Couldn't wish for a better way to keep going forward even when I fall and all I want is eat junk food!!! 

• Like 1

Alone at last

Pheww! These past few days have been HARD. I love family outings, but don't love the peer pressure coming with it: "Have more meat darling. Here is a small part of cake [proceeds to put a HUGE part of cake on my plate]. Now you have to finish it all because I baked it with love!!" (and butter and sugar and flour I bet.)

So here I am on my own again. YAY! I will self-pressure myself to eat better, choose my carbs and workout in the living room (instead of my tiny guest room) with the music blasting from 6am on!!! :D

Today is a new day in my full no-carb week (until Saturday when I'll be making a tiramisu... lol). But I decided to take it on the positive side! Yesterday was so hard that when I came home I almost stopped at Butterfinger pancakes. But I thought about my daily log and about putting not only not a positive number, but -3 (at least!!) and all the catch up I will have to do afterwards. So I kept walking and pasted a smile on my face when I had to be with my family. And to my surprise it worked! I'm not a big fan of pushing down your feelings (I usually cover them with chocolate ^_^), but I tried to actually do what I advise other people to do. It was NOT easy *_*.

But today is a new day! And no carbs doesn't mean no fun, so I'll be varying my nutrition much more. For today snacks will be fruits and almond butter! I usually try to stay away from almond butter because of all the fat it contains (and also how ADDICTIVE it is - seriously!!), but when not eating carbs, one has to eat good fats (thanks starsapart for the tip and the support backed by nutrition ^_*). Ah good fats, I missed you. I will still also heavily rely on proteine shakes (even though I'm starting to hate ON). 

Also I finished catching up with my workouts, so my body is DEAD, but I'm happy!! I did four circuits of the beginner body workout this morning, with the last one doubling all reps, so counting double without doubling the time. I never thought I could do 20 pushups in a row - guess what? I did! I like the idea of pushing myself more. It is WAY harder, but for me, one of the hardest thing is to change exercise, because I never want to start again (what do you mean I should look forward to push ups after finishing squats??), but by doubling the reps I push myself more and I spend less time idling and catching my breath! I will probably double from now on (it will also enable me not to be late to work this week!!) even is DOMs have to become my friends :).

Also next 6WC: definitely putting 10:30 bedtime as a quest. NEED. MORE. SLEEP. But when studying...

So much written and so little to say! I think writing down is one of my weaknesses - I love to do it! 

Ttyl!

• Like 1

On reallocating and generally compensating

We are in the middle (almost...) of the second week and all hard at work on our challenges!! I managed to go all day without carbs yesterday (yay!) and finished catching up with the slack I created Week 1. I'm all caught up in workouts (yay for A grade in Week 1!) but not even close on carbs control (went from F to D...). I will need to finish the week really well or keep compensating next week (I need 4 full days of no carbs at all or way more with just a few carbs). Since I don't want to keep enduring the pain, I'd rather be going really strong now and have some more leeway for later. 

One thing I noticed is that I liked having to advance too: this morning after my strength training (upper body, my shoulders and deltoids are dying) I did a round of beginner body workout so that I am ahead of the game. I'll do the same tomorrow and that way if I'd rather do cardio only on Friday, I can. It gives me a sense of completion and of preparation I love (I'm a total control freak). I might keep the carb controls going on just for that purpose too! 

On the meditation front I do it diligently but it is still escaping me. Not only do I usually fall asleep while meditating (I do it either before falling asleep or upon waking up or both), but I am now dreaming that I am meditating!! I am getting better at pushing thoughts out (now for almost 1 minute at a time!!), but find it embarrassingly hard. I guess I need more druidic guidance ^_^.

One thing I noticed is how hard my grading system is. Remind me to be a bit more lax next time... otherwise I might go crazy :D!

Dance class is going well. We are doing an especially hard dance this month, so I'm not worried about perfect form (which I cannot achieve) and more focused on doing the right movements are the right time (or enough to fool someone watching me only ^_^). Check out the dance video by the original group here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sxdYcRSxr4 

I gained some weight over the weekend so I need to lose it again *sigh*. My (short term) goal is to see a weight tarting with the number 6 (in kilos), even if it is 69.9!! But I feel like the 71st kilo refuses to go and keeps on inviting friends over for diner. I've gone through losing kilos 72 to 74 so many times now I became an expert in losing those ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹. Now I need to become an expert at keeping them lost!!! 

I'm going to go eat sashimi. Good fish, good fats. Lots of goody goodness AND no chocolate!

í™”ì´íŒ…!!

One thing I noticed is how hard my grading system is. Remind me to be a bit more lax next time... otherwise I might go crazy :D!

And this is one of the reason we have a level 1 challenge. :) It's like your trial run to see what works and what doesn't. :D

Losing 6kg (which I think is 13lbs?) could be tough since that's losing 2 lbs a week. 

Your carb goal is pretty strict. Have you done low-carb eating before? I personally haven't tried to limit carbs before soo.. ^_^ my eating habits are better than they used to be but still need some work. And if you're finding any of your goals too tough, you can always adjust them. 

Keep up the effort and you will succeed! :)

• Like 1

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

On decision-making and willpower

"You are what you are today because of what you did yesterday."

I can't remember where I read this quote. At first I laughed it off. It was obvious. 

But then I started thinking about it more. Especially as it related to my weight. I've always been chubby, for as long as I can remember. I've always disliked sports and liked chocolate and sweets, and because I did well in school, I was rewarded with good, delicious food. The fact that I was raised in France only made the food more deliciously buttery, and France has plenty of processed snacks, not to mention is close to Italy, who gave us ice cream and Nutella. And while I didn't like being chubby, I resolved myself - it was my fate.

And I ballooned. I told myself it was because I was too busy studying and needed food to be able to focus on studying. I told myself it was because I was feeling sad and needed food as a pick me up. I told myself it was because I was bigger so needed more food than the rest of my family to fuel myself. I went to grad school in the US and embraced the "people come in all shapes and forms" ideals - except it was mostly an act, with 99% of the people in my class measuring their food intake carefully and exercising methodically. All the while when I went to shop for my first prom dress, I had to buy a size 22. This shook me. The dress looked good and I looked happy in the pictures - but I also looked twice the size of my friends.  

It took me a while to fully accept the full responsibility I had in my being overweight. I was who I was then because of the decisions I made: the food I ate, the times I didn't exercised properly, the times when I sat and watched TV eating snacks. I realized I never actually exercised my willpower towards being healthy. Every time I was offered food I said yes, every time it was raining or cold or there was one cloud in front of the sun I stayed inside and sat rather than used muscles. Willpower I used for other things, for studying Korean, working longer hours, leveling up in Pokemon. 

I decided to use this willpower. Being fat was not my destiny. I had unrealistic goals (going from a size 22 to the size 6 I wanted) and no actual plan to succeed. I failed many times and thought my willpower was to blame. Then I randomly came upon a post by a guy named Steve about slow changes, small victories and more generally nerds working out. I kept on reading - this was a nice way to frame things and to let my willpower expand without overtiring it. 

6WC are the embodiment of the right way to do things. Set up measurable goals, reward yourself, don't punish yourself. Give yourself the opportunity to fall, to grow, to change your mind, to have small goals, big goals, goals about food, fitness, work, life, kids, arts. 

Right now my goals are about food, workouts and meditation. But my overarching goal is to have better control about myself. About what I need to do, should eat and how I should control both my mind and my body to finally be the person I want to be instead of the person other people think I am. I chose difficult goals and grades, but I have a catch up system to cut me some slack. And I know when to slack off! Yesterday, after a full 5 days with no carbs (no dairy, no chocolate, no nothing carb-y), I made a tiramisu and some meringues. This morning, I ate a meringue and a mini size tiramisu, and I went into the highest sugar high ever. 

I used to have goals but no accountability and no way to catch up. So when I failed I was only thinking "It's okay I'll do better tomorrow", and not learning from my mistakes or compensating for them. Thanks to the 6WC, the goals, the quests, and all your support, I'm better armed to succeed. I fall (an enjoy it fully), I get back on track, I catch up. I complain a lot, but then I reward myself and I weight myself and it's all worth it. 

I made the conscious decision of being healthier and living my life the way I want to live it, not the way other people say or think I have to live it. 

My uncle gave me a box of chocolate truffles. A nice gesture to anyone but someone trying to lose weight. For cultural reasons I had to open the box and eat one to show him I was happy and liked them. I did so, reluctantly. It was heavens in my mouth. The first one I owe to my uncle, the second and the third to myself only. For me the are small wonders covered in cocoa. For my butt they are what separates it from the jeans I want to wear. So I made a decision: when I want to eat truffles, I will. I will plan for them, account for them, and if need be, catch up for them. But I won't eat them just because, they are there. I see them on the counter and I think: "so little volume, so much trouble!" and resist the temptation. 

Because of my family's visit last week, I had to spend this whole week in severe carbs control or admit failure. I don't like the idea of failing - no one does. This week was hard. But the reward, the counting up of the carbs I saved on my spreadsheet, the numbers on my scale and the special tiramisu and meringue day I plan for today are worth it. And tomorrow, back to no carbs, but in an easy way since my exam will take up most of the day.

None of our goals are easy. We chose them because they are what we care about, and we will work hard towards achieving them. These goals don't only get us closer to our main quest, they get us closer to ourselves, the way we want to be, the way we choose to be, the way we decide to be. Just listing them is a victory per se. Every time we get closer to them, push harder in a workout, refuse a Christmas chocolate, or go to bed earlier we are winning. 

I don't want to be model thin. I want to be the best me I can be. So let's go! Go make the right decisions, go exercise willpower. And go get that self we so rightly deserve. 

• Like 1

And this is one of the reason we have a level 1 challenge. :) It's like your trial run to see what works and what doesn't. :D

Losing 6kg (which I think is 13lbs?) could be tough since that's losing 2 lbs a week. 

Your carb goal is pretty strict. Have you done low-carb eating before? I personally haven't tried to limit carbs before soo.. ^_^ my eating habits are better than they used to be but still need some work. And if you're finding any of your goals too tough, you can always adjust them. 

Keep up the effort and you will succeed! :)

Hi lullaby88!! Thanks for stopping by!!

Sorry for complaining so much!! I can be weak sometimes ^_^

My goals and grading system are on the hard side, but only because I know I can push myself to achieve them. For instance I did low carb before, but I was not very diligent, so I know of the pain, but not of the full results. After almost 2 weeks of the 6WC goals, I feel better than before and the results are starting to show!!! I'm so happy about it. Ah, science finally done right :D

As for 2lb per week, it's the maximum recommended (for instance in Weight Watchers), and I know I can get there if I push myself, either a little every day or a lot the whole week if I know I have an event on the weekend for instance. And I did not make it an official goal because I know I can fluctuate if I have a hard week. On the other had, I will wake up every weekday and work out - otherwise I feel lousy at work. So I made my goal to exercise in a more efficient way, instead of doing bad cardio while watching TV. 

Definitely for next 6WC my goals will be harder, but the grading a bit more lax so that I can learn more but be lenient when I don't succeed. 

Thanks for the support! Cheers!

• Like 1

Sounds awesome! It's good that you're aware of what's going on, what is to be worked on, and what you want to do - sheer force of willpower to achieve your goals is an almost-unstoppable force! (The rest of us are here to make sure that it becomes completely unstoppable, and that there's always someone behind you as you work towards your goals!)

All the best!

• Like 1

Week 2 has ended!

It was a tough, long week especially as I had set up to compensate my failing grades of week 1. I found new strength in calculating better grades in the google spreadsheet and held on to my planned carbs consumption: a homemade tiramisu for Saturday. Let's recap quickly:

- Setting new norms: I wanted to workout faster, so I started doubling reps in the Beginner Body Workout. I'm still struggling a lot, but knowing I've done it several times before makes me push myself harder. I will need to vary exercises more so that I don't get used to them too fast and plateau, but for the moment, the burn is real! So I can't complain. That's also how I've caught up to last week's lack of workout. Grade for Week 2: A. Catch-up for last week leading to a Week 1 revised grade of A. 

- Discovering new habits: I've always struggled with nutrition, but it looked like my desire for good grades is stronger than my desire for chocolate! It was a HARD, HARD week, but I managed to cut all carbs completely for 4 full days (and on Saturday morning I got a GIANT SUGAR HIGH), so I'm a good girl. This took some preparation (making healthy snacks in the morning) and some research (how much carbs contain almond butter? what is considered low-carbs, no carbs?), but I managed. Although I still miss bread (you can take the French girl out of France, you cannot take the French love for bread away!!), but I don't carve pasta or rice at meals now. I'm looking for vegetables and more proteins. Yay for this week! Grade for Week 2: A, updated grade for Week 1 given additional catch-up efforts: A.

- Building habits: When I started the meditation quest, it was the one thing I had never done before. Although I started easily (1 min per day), I knew the rampup would put me at 6 min per day in the last week, making it definitely challenging. Funnily, I am looking forward to meditation time. I still struggle big time, having outside thoughts interrupting on a regular basis, but I find myself meditating and relaxing outside of these times, in the bus for instance, whenever I feel like I need to relax and take a step back. This is a powerful weapon! Grade for Week 2: A.

I'm all As! This was the goal all along, and although I got waylaid in the first week, I'm happy I was able to regain ground. I will maintain my efforts but will cut myself some slack as I am building advance, both in carbs control and in workout. I don't anticipate using it, but I'm happy it's here!!

On a side note, my personal life quest is getting closer to a fulfillment every day! For years, I've been trying to lose weight and as per several doctors and other measuring ways, I'm supposed to weight something around 61kg (135 lb). This is in my opinion impossible and/or would only be maintained by a severe and happiness-threatening permanent diet - or the loss of a limb. On the other hand, there is this number 66.5kg (145 lb). This is my magic number. By definition of the IMC (a flawed calculation, I know), if I get below 66.5kg, my IMC is below 25. I am officially not overweight anymore. Sure I still won't fit a size XS, but I will be normal. The thought of having a normal weight had fled my mind since cool kids started taunting me in middle school, so for me the very idea of 66.5kg is mind-blowing. But we are not there yet. First, I need my weight to start with a 6. But from that, dear readers, I am not far. I was weighted this morning at 70.7kg, so I am hoping that sometimes before next Monday I see my precious 6 appear. This thought is enough to sustain me through tough days and making me cook (and eat) soup rather than the ice cream I have in my fridge.  

I know it's silly - some people hope for world peace and me for a weight starting with the number 6. But to me, that 6 will bring peace. 

Good night and good luck to all on your challenges! May the force and a willpower to move mountain be with you always!

There's nothing wrong with having something personal to hope for!  It doesn't always have to be world peace. ^_^

I'm glad you're getting on with things and improving!  You can do it!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Mid-challenge progress update - On Habits, Willpower and Future 6WC

The end of week 3! It was a harder week than I planned, full of Snacking, Stress and being Sick. Although this shouldn't interfere with my life and my improvement goals, it obviously does ^_^. So I will try to structure this post in Lessons Learnt (or being learnt).

Willpower is good but can be exhausted - After Week 2 was designed to catch up on my Week 1 nutritional slips, I thought I could keep withdrawing food and try to gain points in advance so I could slip later without having to compensate. This was a big failure. I ate more snacks (nuts and other healty snacks, but even healthy snacks have calories which add up if you eat 4 a day), and it was harder to withdraw carbs entirely. So for the rest of the challenge, I'm planning on slowly compensating, if any, and if I have to take a grade lower than A, then I need to face that idea and deal with it. My goals are hard and I am far from perfect. As much as I hate to admit defeat, I think I need to consider this week's grade of B as my final one.

Life quests are awesome - Beyond nutrition and workout, my third goal was centering on meditation and being more relaxed in my life more generally. This has been a tremendous success. I feel more relaxed at work, I am less stressed generally and I am looking forward to my meditation time. I am trying to go for longer periods of time so that I can relaxed both my body and my mind more. Although I still cannot block out totally the external thoughts, I am trying to notice when they creep in and stop them.

The future of 6WC for this nerd - This form of challenge is definitely my thing. I'm already thinking about my next challenge and my future goals. One will definitely be to go to bed earlier. I will probably continue meditation, albeit with a lower point count, and will lower the other goals: for instance, I miss cardio a lot, so I should probably find a better balance than to just wipe it out entirely from my workout routine. Same with carbs counting. It's been good but too hard for the goal - I should not add so much stress to me.

Early results from 6WC and life - I already mentioned I'm less stressed, and despite the multiple snacks of this week, I managed to lose a bit a weight. And yesterday when I tried on an old t-shirt I realized for the first time it actually went around my hips without me pulling on it! And while I'm not ready to go down a pants size, I am feeling like they are looser than before. And with Christmas fast approaching, I need to be able to wear on nice clothes!

Habits are hard to change, but new habits can be developed! - I love snacking on chocolate. I've always had and I will probably always do. I will do my best to keep that under control, but I will probably never be able to totally stop. ^_^ But complementing it with nuts snacks will help. Also trying new recipes (like pancakes made from whey protein! Haven't tried it yet, but I really want to do so!!) will help diverfisy my menus, since I'm getting tired of the low-fat, low-carbs, shrimp soup.

Let's keep going! - As I've read in many post, as many of you have pointed out (specials thanks to starsapart, bananasheena, and lullaby88 for the support and the advice!) the key is to keep going and to keep trying. Sometimes we fall, sometimes we slip, sometimes we are sick or are too exhausted to eat healthy instead of some good processed food. But we keep going, we hold ourselves accountable, and we get back on the horse. So thank you, all for reading, commenting and being there when I don't feel strong enough. I will keep on going! and with time, hopefully, things will get easier.

Happy Thankgivings to all! And have a great second half of 6WC! Half is behind us, the second half will be easier! ^_^

• Like 1

Sounds like you are learning some good, good lessons.

Unless you have a really compelling reason to do so, trying to go below 100g of carbs is pretty darn hard.  Keep them in the veggies, if possible, but also keep in mind that our ancestors ate a LOT more vegetables than meat. 

And when you meditate, just let thoughts go ... like ships on a river or floating seeds or gentle snowflakes.  Gradually, your monkey mind will calm down. 

tumblr_static_doctor-who-christmas.jpg

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Life has been crazy lately so I haven't been posting. We are finishing our presentation at work and it is a nightmare.

While the meditation time has become a much needed effort, I've been struggling with my no-carbs diet and dieting in general. I'm still regulating around meals, but when everyone in the room is working for 14-15 hours a day, not sleeping much and eating donuts, it's hard to resist. Especially since I need the sugar high if I don't sleep.

But it's almost over and I decided to keep the carbs count low even after the end of the 6WC - in order to promote good habits.

Only 1 week left!

I still have to work hard during that week, but it should be ok!

Let's meet at the finish line ^_^.

• Like 1

How'd the challenge go for you???

32175b892b7a42da9419f2b48b3c7f2e.jpg

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....