• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Benaiah

Out of the Frying Pan...

Hello Everyone! This is my first post, to my first challenge. I liked the objectives on the instructions page because they actually work for my situation, so I tweaked them and here they are. I intend to find a way to either post my activity on a log of some sort or just post results every once in a while if you are interested in following. Again, totally new to this so if you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know!

Main Quest: Build back muscle and get stronger

I.      Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night (this means bed around 9 p.m. for me)

II.     Eat 3 square meals a day of at least 3000 calories

III.    At least 3 days a week go lift weights and 2 days of more intense cardio.

Life Quest: Come up with a budget that actually works for me and stick to it. (Boring goal I know, but highly necessary.)

Motivation: The line of work that I am moving towards requires my body to be in top physical shape for survival reasons (and no it's not the military). I need to gain an attitude of caring for and disciplining my body on a regular basis no matter the circumstances.

There's a solid set of goals! Are you already in a weight lifting regimen? It sounds like you're not too worried about getting into lifting, and your goal is quite a lot of calories, so I'm just assuming you're not new to that.

I've been really surprised at how much sleeping well really does affect everything else in my life! Good luck getting more sleep, and more fit! ;)

My problem is that I have lifted off and on since high school, so I know what I'm supposed to be doing in terms of exercises, muscle groups, and proper form (most important) but I'm not doing it. I plan on wading back into lifting, so I am doing full body workouts for the first few weeks to get a routine of regular exercise and form back in place, then I will split things up into either push/pull or upper/lower. 

Regarding the calories: I'm at the end of college and I have actually lost weight the past 4 years. Ironically exercising gets me to eat enough regularly. I put 3000 calories because my metabolism is still through the roof which makes an obstacle out of gaining weight of any kind.

And you are so right about enough sleep!

3000 seems a lot but you know your body.  Just remember to watch the good vs bad calories :D

You might notice that someone has added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Adventurers to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

Hey Ben, how are things going?  Have you managed to figure out bad vs good calories? We'd love an update regardless of what the results are :D

Well Blaidd, not too great. Really dropped the ball at the end of last year. Things got really tough with classes (21 credits). One good thing is that I started to count calories after you posted. I was pretty under-weight. I weighed 135 pounds (I am 5'10") at the end of last summer, and then clocked in at 150 over winter break. I know I was underweight because I was skipping or forgetting meals because of the workload I had. 

As to the good and bad calories, I have been using the livestrong website to count them and keep track. This was really helpful because it didn't just show calories. I found I was taking in a lot of carbs, enough fat, enough sugar, but not much protein at all. So that changed almost immediately. I started buying much healthier snacks (almonds, which have become a favorite), and I started adding really low fat cuts of meat more often during the week. Chicken is primary and then I will hunt for lean cuts of steak when I feel like treating myself.

Current status: I have stopped tracking intake since things feel normal again. I have been running off and on (every couple weeks) when I feel too lazy. I am trying to balance a new job this semester along with 15 credits. I haven't lifted since last year around the time I was posting on here. Long and short, I need to get back in the saddle with training. I feel like the objective-setting was weak last time. My physical weakness is evident, but I would like to lift towards some kind of ability or activity.

Some specific goals I would like to achieve by the end of March might sound something like:

Squat proper form 170 lbs (currently at 110)

10 pull-ups, proper form no rest

Sprint a half mile

Anyway, not sure where to begin with goals and I know that hurts my motivation. However, I am posting honestly on here, so that's a good place to start!