[REPEAT] To thine own self stay true, Sweet Pea.

Sweet Pea

So I'm going to make this easy on myself, and literally copy and paste from one of my previous challenges, what I would consider my most successful challenge.rs_250x152-140109091048-literally.gif

[The following content copied from here]

Goals:

Diet- Nothing is drastically changing here. I have a chart of foods to choose from, and each meal and snack is a combination of different foods from different groups. Simply put, I get a point for each food that falls under my plan, and a negative point for anything that is outside of the plan, as in extra food, sweets or alcohol. Unlimited non-starchy vegetables are allowed, so no worries about going hungry. My point goal for each day is between 11.5 - 12. The total points for the entire challenge will be 483-504 for a perfect score. Now, as long as I follow the plan 80% of the time, I will still pass the challenge. (CON 2 STA 1 WIS 1) Like I said, I've made up note cards and have the points all broken out so it will be easy to keep track of. And it's not that different from how I eat most of the time now anyway. Point goal for each day = 10. Total points for perfect challenge = 390.

Fitness-  Focus on strength training, while continuing my cardio to show results. As far as which workouts I will do, that I will not be including as part of the challenge, only because I plan on trying some new things soon. For the purpose of the challenge though, just making sure I do include strength training 3 times per week is what I want to focus on. I also plan on keeping a journal to track progress. (CHA 1)

Strength training – 3x per week = 18 workouts (STR 2) If I manage 2x per week = 12 workouts (STR 1) Convict Conditioning

Cardio – 5x per week goal, 3x per week pass = 18-30 cardio workouts (DEX 1, STA 2, CHA 1)

Preparation – Planning is everything. I’ve found that how well my day goes, at least weekdays, depends almost entirely on how well I prepared for it the day before. So, point for every day that I make all necessary preparations for the next day. Total points = 42 39.

(STA 1, CON 2, WIS 1)

Life goal: Update more, and include more detail in my posts.

tumblr_mcgcj3FSSL1rxis0k.gif

I'm dealing with a different set of challenges this time around though. Well, I possibly am.  Let me explain.

I work a job, Monday - Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm. That was what I was doing earlier this year when my challenges went fairly well and I was focused.

Now, I work that job, but I have another job. Typically I work second job Wednesday - Saturdays, 5 or 6pm to anywhere from 10pm-2am. It's at a bar, hence the undetermined schedule.

Suffice to say, this is difficult, even when I'm not trying to work out and eat well. I had decided on Saturday that I would quit, that the little bit of extra money I've been making has not been worth the physical and emotional exhaustion I feel almost constantly. But I'm not sure yet, and I'm still trying to make up my mind on that. I'd like to give this challenge a go either way, and I feel like whichever choice I make will definitely affect how well I do. I've been thinking non-stop about this today and yesterday and will continue to do so.

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

"ONE CHOICE CAN TRANSFORM YOU"

My Epic Quest: http://www.nerdfitness.com/character/25378

SweatPea!  Welcome back!

Well you killed this challenge last time, so now you get to do it again!  Awesome!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Worst case, you can learn to heft a keg with your bare hands. Take that bar time and make it count! :P

Good to see you again, Sweet Pea.

I honestly considered working a bar one time, because tending bar is advertised as a great way to make money. I never did, though: my chef roommate told me that restaurants as a rule don't trust their bartenders because there's a lot of encouragement to skim on tips or something to that effect. It's been a long time since I had that talk...

So what do you do?

SweatPea!  Welcome back!

Well you killed this challenge last time, so now you get to do it again!  Awesome!

Thanks! That's what I'm hoping for, it was my favorite and also most successful challenge. 

Worst case, you can learn to heft a keg with your bare hands. Take that bar time and make it count! :tongue:

Good to see you again, Sweet Pea.

I honestly considered working a bar one time, because tending bar is advertised as a great way to make money. I never did, though: my chef roommate told me that restaurants as a rule don't trust their bartenders because there's a lot of encouragement to skim on tips or something to that effect. It's been a long time since I had that talk...

So what do you do?

Well I'm a server at a bar/tavern, not the bartender, so no lifting kegs for me. It's cash out the door, which is why it's hard to leave. But it's a very slow place, with terrible owners and management, and unpredictable hours as far as whether I will work til 10pm or 2am. Which makes a big difference when I have to be at work again at 8:30am the next day, then go straight back to the bar at 5pm once that is done, and again not know how late I'll be working...and repeat. See the dilemma? It's just stressing me out, and I feel like a tired zombie most of the time. 

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

Deeeeeeeetroit! Hey, Sweet Pea! A challenge so nice you had to do it twice! Good to see you again.

Hey-oh! Good to see you again as well!

That's a lot of work 0.o  Great challenge goals, can see why you're repeating that one. 

Hi Teirin!

cat-wave.jpg

SWEET PEA!!! :D

Welcome back! :)

Repeating a successful challenge sounds like a WIN to me! I have a mind to do that myself here soon.

(Also <3 parks and rec! :D )

Do ehhhhht.

tumblr_n7xr0mmvgX1so9o05o1_500.gif

Aw, yeah, no, eff that noise. I had to do that kind of thing for UPS. Turrible.

I hope things work out to where you don't need the money anymore. :(

Turrible. Indeed.

After some heavy thinking and budget forecasting, I decided to quit my second job. The payoff was not worth the price in the end. 

The start to my challenge has been slow this week. I'm going to still use the same format, but make a couple tweaks to it. I'll add the changes to the original post. I'm not gonna lie, it's difficult for me to do this, because in the past I would possibly already be giving up on the challenge just because I wasn't quite ready when it started and I've had a rough week. But I want to get away from that kind of behavior and thought pattern. If I'm going to forgo extra income for the sake of my sanity, I want to make the most of my time and take care of myself, not just physically but mentally and emotionally as well. There are things in my life that I want to let go of (for example - negativity) and I'm going to try and be very honest with myself about what works and what doesn't. 

Here are the reasons behind the changes I'm going to make to my challenge format:

Diet - I changed the point system because I could not find the note cards I had used that challenge. I know what I based it on though, so I made some new ones, and I must have done something differently because the way I'm doing it now gives me 10 points for each day. I'm not going to count the first few days because I don't want to get down on myself by starting out with a low score, and I was very preoccupied during those days trying to make up my mind about the job thing. So now I'm going for 390 points.

Fitness - I'm changing my strength training goal from 3x per week to 2x per week. I'm using Convict Conditioning and starting at the very beginning, so I plan on making it 3x per week next challenge if I successfully complete 2x per week this challenge. For cardio, I'll mainly be walking, so I'll leave that at 5x per week for a goal. 

Preparation an Life Goal - samsies. Changing the total points for Preparation to 39 rather than 42. 

Meanwhile, today has been great. 25 minutes of walking, recorded my meals in MFP, and 10 diet points earned today!

• Like 2

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

I love Convict Conditioning! I had no idea it was controversial. I have the book on my dresser with a notepad ready to go, myself.

Yeah, no, the big reason that CC is unpopular here is because the progressions in general take a long time to hit. Further, there's a lot of talk that the progressions themselves aren't good - the One Arm HSPU, in particular, is considered impossible given the progressions he lists, and the One Arm Push Up that he calls for is considered impossible given the amount of stability your core has to exhibit.

As for me, I see no reason not to supplement the progressions with other stuff if transitioning from one move to the next is proving difficult. And Wade himself has written that the ten steps shouldn't be understood as ten steps anyway, but rather as places to progress toward, and that if you need more steps, you should take them.

Eh. I mean, it's doing just fine for me. Since all my attempts to learn things fast made everything go horribly, I figure there's no harm in doing things slow.