• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ba'sini'on

Heroes and Warriors in Training

Winning into Freedom

11/18/2014
November 18, 2014

If the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed. —John 8:36

If there is even a trace of individual self-satisfaction left in us, it always says, “I can’t surrender,†or “I can’t be free.†But the spiritual part of our being never says “I can’tâ€; it simply soaks up everything around it. Our spirit hungers for more and more. It is the way we are built. We are designed with a great capacity for God, but sin, our own individuality, and wrong thinking keep us from getting to Him. God delivers us from sin— we have to deliver ourselves from our individuality. This means offering our natural life to God and sacrificing it to Him, so He may transform it into spiritual life through our obedience.

God pays no attention to our natural individuality in the development of our spiritual life. His plan runs right through our natural life. We must see to it that we aid and assist God, and not stand against Him by saying, “I can’t do that.†God will not discipline us; we must discipline ourselves. God will not bring our “arguments…and every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ†(2 Corinthians 10:5)— we have to do it. Don’t say, “Oh, Lord, I suffer from wandering thoughts.†Don’t suffer from wandering thoughts. Stop listening to the tyranny of your individual natural life and win freedom into the spiritual life.

“If the Son makes you free….†Do not substitute Savior for Son in this passage. The Savior has set us free from sin, but this is the freedom that comes from being set free from myself by the Son. It is what Paul meant in Galatians 2:20 when he said, “I have been crucified with Christ….†His individuality had been broken and his spirit had been united with his Lord; not just merged into Him, but made one with Him. “…you shall be free indeedâ€â€” free to the very core of your being; free from the inside to the outside. We tend to rely on our own energy, instead of being energized by the power that comes from identification with Jesus

• Like 1

“When He Has Comeâ€

11/19/2014
November 19, 2014

When He has come, He will convict the world of sin… —John 16:8

Very few of us know anything about conviction of sin. We know the experience of being disturbed because we have done wrong things. But conviction of sin by the Holy Spirit blots out every relationship on earth and makes us aware of only one— “Against You, You only, have I sinned…†(Psalm 51:4). When a person is convicted of sin in this way, he knows with every bit of his conscience that God would not dare to forgive him. If God did forgive him, then this person would have a stronger sense of justice than God. God does forgive, but it cost the breaking of His heart with grief in the death of Christ to enable Him to do so. The great miracle of the grace of God is that He forgives sin, and it is the death of Jesus Christ alone that enables the divine nature to forgive and to remain true to itself in doing so. It is shallow nonsense to say that God forgives us because He is love. Once we have been convicted of sin, we will never say this again. The love of God means Calvary— nothing less! The love of God is spelled out on the Cross and nowhere else. The only basis for which God can forgive me is the Cross of Christ. It is there that His conscience is satisfied.

Forgiveness doesn’t merely mean that I am saved from hell and have been made ready for heaven (no one would accept forgiveness on that level). Forgiveness means that I am forgiven into a newly created relationship which identifies me with God in Christ. The miracle of redemption is that God turns me, the unholy one, into the standard of Himself, the Holy One. He does this by putting into me a new nature, the nature of Jesus Christ.

• Like 1

The whole "New Creation" concept is sooo big...

Psalm 139:6 "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain."  

I am NOT doing well on my challenge so far.  In addition, I've checked how SMART my goals are and it is laughable.  So, instead of beating myself up, I'm currently laughing about it!  I'm sure I'll get a chance to post more on it later in my 6 week log.  Until then, this is me reminding myself that I am new NOW, but I am not perfect yet!

• Like 2

The whole "New Creation" concept is sooo big...

Psalm 139:6 "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain."

I am NOT doing well on my challenge so far. In addition, I've checked how SMART my goals are and it is laughable. So, instead of beating myself up, I'm currently laughing about it! I'm sure I'll get a chance to post more on it later in my 6 week log. Until then, this is me reminding myself that I am new NOW, but I am not perfect yet!

Don't forget that you can change your goals as needed. The big part of doing a challenge is learning more about yourself and how God has made you. I have had to remind myself that a successful challenge is one where I have adapted and overcome. Not one where I met all my initial expectations. I say that with nine challenges under my belt. Lol.

The biggest challenges where I learned something, were actually the ones where I struggled hardest. And speaking of struggles... Well more about persecution, but it's a decent segway, all be it a stretch...

Check this out. It's a blog post on persecution and the church.

http://m.gty.org/blog/B141119

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"...persecution narrows the focus of the church. There’s no time to chase trends and cater to worldly “seekers†when you live under the threat of violent persecution...

Second, persecution purges the church of easy-believism, nominal Christianity, the prosperity gospel, and all sorts of other worldly influences and distractions. When it’s no longer convenient or lucrative to call yourself a Christian, many false believers will abandon the church. What’s left will be a purer body of believers, more useful and more effective for the sake of God’s life-transforming gospel."

Yes and amen.  Thank you, God, for purifying us.  Start in my heart and show me the wicked ways in myself, break me of my foolish pride, and put humility and a grateful heart in me.

Thanks for the article.

• Like 1

"...persecution narrows the focus of the church. There’s no time to chase trends and cater to worldly “seekers†when you live under the threat of violent persecution...

Second, persecution purges the church of easy-believism, nominal Christianity, the prosperity gospel, and all sorts of other worldly influences and distractions. When it’s no longer convenient or lucrative to call yourself a Christian, many false believers will abandon the church. What’s left will be a purer body of believers, more useful and more effective for the sake of God’s life-transforming gospel."

Yes and amen.  Thank you, God, for purifying us.  Start in my heart and show me the wicked ways in myself, break me of my foolish pride, and put humility and a grateful heart in me.

Thanks for the article.

Sure thing!  Ya know, one of the most eye-opening things I ever heard was when my pastor was talking about true revival...  Revival starts with God's people, THEN it spreads.  So that - "Start in my heart and show me the wicked ways in myself, break me of my foolish pride, and put humility and a grateful heart in me."  Is exactly what we should be praying for.  We all need it, I, most of all.  Thank you for sharing too :)

• Like 1

The Forgiveness of God

11/20/2014
November 20, 2014

In Him we have…the forgiveness of sins… —Ephesians 1:7

Beware of the pleasant view of the fatherhood of God: God is so kind and loving that of course He will forgive us. That thought, based solely on emotion, cannot be found anywhere in the New Testament. The only basis on which God can forgive us is the tremendous tragedy of the Cross of Christ. To base our forgiveness on any other ground is unconscious blasphemy. The only ground on which God can forgive our sin and reinstate us to His favor is through the Cross of Christ. There is no other way! Forgiveness, which is so easy for us to accept, cost the agony at Calvary. We should never take the forgiveness of sin, the gift of the Holy Spirit, and our sanctification in simple faith, and then forget the enormous cost to God that made all of this ours.

Forgiveness is the divine miracle of grace. The cost to God was the Cross of Christ. To forgive sin, while remaining a holy God, this price had to be paid. Never accept a view of the fatherhood of God if it blots out the atonement. The revealed truth of God is that without the atonement He cannot forgive— He would contradict His nature if He did. The only way we can be forgiven is by being brought back to God through the atonement of the Cross. God’s forgiveness is possible only in the supernatural realm.

Compared with the miracle of the forgiveness of sin, the experience of sanctification is small. Sanctification is simply the wonderful expression or evidence of the forgiveness of sins in a human life. But the thing that awakens the deepest fountain of gratitude in a human being is that God has forgiven his sin. Paul never got away from this. Once you realize all that it cost God to forgive you, you will be held as in a vise, constrained by the love of God.

Heavy stuff.

• Like 2

Hey all! hope you don't mind if I join in!

My current challenge is in my signature

My main goal is to get to 280 pounds A.S.A.P and 240 before I go home off my mission!

Welcome, Rebel!  So I'm super curious about your mission trip!  What is a typical day like for you?  Do you stay somewhere with the local church there, or are you just sent out on your own?  Do you have a partner who goes with you?  I seem to remember always seeing Mormons in pairs.

Also, the tough mudder goal sounds exciting!  I'd never even heard of those races until coming to this site.  Or Spartan races... or ZOMBIE races!  

• Like 1

Welcome, Rebel!  So I'm super curious about your mission trip!  What is a typical day like for you?  Do you stay somewhere with the local church there, or are you just sent out on your own?  Do you have a partner who goes with you?  I seem to remember always seeing Mormons in pairs.

Also, the tough mudder goal sounds exciting!  I'd never even heard of those races until coming to this site.  Or Spartan races... or ZOMBIE races!  

Hey Rooskie! :) A typical day! There is no such thing ;) Some days involve going out and knocking on doors to see if anyone would like to talk; some days involve going and visiting members of the church who aren't currently coming and seeing if we can help there. I have a companion, we always have companions on our mission :) 

And the tough mudder does sound exciting, don't it?!

Welcome TheMormonRebel! Glad to have you with us :D

“It is Finished!â€
11/21/2014
November 21, 2014

I have finished the work which You have given Me to do. —John 17:4

The death of Jesus Christ is the fulfillment in history of the very mind and intent of God. There is no place for seeing Jesus Christ as a martyr. His death was not something that happened to Him— something that might have been prevented. His death was the very reason He came.

Never build your case for forgiveness on the idea that God is our Father and He will forgive us because He loves us. That contradicts the revealed truth of God in Jesus Christ. It makes the Cross unnecessary, and the redemption “much ado about nothing.†God forgives sin only because of the death of Christ. God could forgive people in no other way than by the death of His Son, and Jesus is exalted as Savior because of His death. “We see Jesus…for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor…†(Hebrews 2:9). The greatest note of triumph ever sounded in the ears of a startled universe was that sounded on the Cross of Christ— “It is finished!†(John 19:30). That is the final word in the redemption of humankind.

Anything that lessens or completely obliterates the holiness of God, through a false view of His love, contradicts the truth of God as revealed by Jesus Christ. Never allow yourself to believe that Jesus Christ stands with us, and against God, out of pity and compassion, or that He became a curse for us out of sympathy for us. Jesus Christ became a curse for us by divine decree. Our part in realizing the tremendous meaning of His curse is the conviction of sin. Conviction is given to us as a gift of shame and repentance; it is the great mercy of God. Jesus Christ hates the sin in people, and Calvary is the measure of His hatred.

Shallow and Profound
11/22/2014
November 22, 2014

Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. —1 Corinthians 10:31

Beware of allowing yourself to think that the shallow aspects of life are not ordained by God; they are ordained by Him equally as much as the profound. We sometimes refuse to be shallow, not out of our deep devotion to God but because we wish to impress other people with the fact that we are not shallow. This is a sure sign of spiritual pride. We must be careful, for this is how contempt for others is produced in our lives. And it causes us to be a walking rebuke to other people because they are more shallow than we are. Beware of posing as a profound person— God became a baby.

To be shallow is not a sign of being sinful, nor is shallowness an indication that there is no depth to your life at all— the ocean has a shore. Even the shallow things of life, such as eating and drinking, walking and talking, are ordained by God. These are all things our Lord did. He did them as the Son of God, and He said, “A disciple is not above his teacher…†(Matthew 10:24).

We are safeguarded by the shallow things of life. We have to live the surface, commonsense life in a commonsense way. Then when God gives us the deeper things, they are obviously separated from the shallow concerns. Never show the depth of your life to anyone but God. We are so nauseatingly serious, so desperately interested in our own character and reputation, we refuse to behave like Christians in the shallow concerns of life.

Make a determination to take no one seriously except God. You may find that the first person you must be the most critical with, as being the greatest fraud you have ever known, is yourself.

Sorry for not putting up devotionals for yesterday, I had a really bad day and didn't get back till later.

Sorry for not putting up devotionals for yesterday, I had a really bad day and didn't get back till later.

Everything alright?  Today I used what was on the boards and prayed for you, that you would be "constrained by the love of God."  You have some big goals ahead (the Marines and all) and we're here to cheer you on!

• Like 1

Sorry again for the delay :(

The Distraction of Contempt
11/23/2014
November 23, 2014

Have mercy on us, O Lord, have mercy on us! For we are exceedingly filled with contempt. —Psalm 123:3

What we must beware of is not damage to our belief in God but damage to our Christian disposition or state of mind. “Take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously†(Malachi 2:16). Our state of mind is powerful in its effects. It can be the enemy that penetrates right into our soul and distracts our mind from God. There are certain attitudes we should never dare to indulge. If we do, we will find they have distracted us from faith in God. Until we get back into a quiet mood before Him, our faith is of no value, and our confidence in the flesh and in human ingenuity is what rules our lives.

Beware of “the cares of this world…†(Mark 4:19). They are the very things that produce the wrong attitudes in our soul. It is incredible what enormous power there is in simple things to distract our attention away from God. Refuse to be swamped by “the cares of this world.â€

Another thing that distracts us is our passion for vindication. St. Augustine prayed, “O Lord, deliver me from this lust of always vindicating myself.†Such a need for constant vindication destroys our soul’s faith in God. Don’t say, “I must explain myself,†or, “I must get people to understand.†Our Lord never explained anything— He left the misunderstandings or misconceptions of others to correct themselves.

When we discern that other people are not growing spiritually and allow that discernment to turn to criticism, we block our fellowship with God. God never gives us discernment so that we may criticize, but that we may intercede.

Direction of Focus
11/24/2014
November 24, 2014

Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters…, so our eyes look to the Lord our God… —Psalm 123:2

This verse is a description of total reliance on God. Just as the eyes of a servant are riveted on his master, our eyes should be directed to and focused on God. This is how knowledge of His countenance is gained and how God reveals Himself to us (see Isaiah 53:1). Our spiritual strength begins to be drained when we stop lifting our eyes to Him. Our stamina is sapped, not so much through external troubles surrounding us but through problems in our thinking. We wrongfully think, “I suppose I’ve been stretching myself a little too much, standing too tall and trying to look like God instead of being an ordinary humble person.†We have to realize that no effort can be too high.

For example, you came to a crisis in your life, took a stand for God, and even had the witness of the Spirit as a confirmation that what you did was right. But now, maybe weeks or years have gone by, and you are slowly coming to the conclusion— “Well, maybe what I did showed too much pride or was superficial. Was I taking a stand a bit too high for me?†Your “rational†friends come and say, “Don’t be silly. We knew when you first talked about this spiritual awakening that it was a passing impulse, that you couldn’t hold up under the strain. And anyway, God doesn’t expect you to endure.†You respond by saying, “Well, I suppose I was expecting too much.†That sounds humble to say, but it means that your reliance on God is gone, and you are now relying on worldly opinion. The danger comes when, no longer relying on God, you neglect to focus your eyes on Him. Only when God brings you to a sudden stop will you realize that you have been the loser. Whenever there is a spiritual drain in your life, correct it immediately. Realize that something has been coming between you and God, and change or remove it at once.

And to answer your questions, not everything is alright. And these two devotionals really helped me though to not be pulled off the straight and narrow.

Yesterday was another bad day. You see my intended is coming over today to meet me for the first time. And not only will I meet his parents but I'll meet his parents to, so I'm really nervous!

Also my mother is a concern. She wasn't ok with this from the beginning, and then she changed her mind, and now she's been flip flopping between it. My mom has always had a good head for the Bible and it's history. But she doesn't follow it's teachings all the way. She cusses, get's angry very quickly, is verbally abusive, sometimes physically, doesn't go to church, doesn't read the Bible, etc. She's even tried to kick me out of the house and told me she didn't care if I was raped, killed, or on the streets. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Please pray for me, that this all goes well. I have a foreboding that something bad is going to happen :(

Definitely praying. Remember, n one of this is taking God by surprise.  He will see you through this, no matter what happens.  At least it's in a public place over lunch.  Stay calm and don't let your emotions get the best of you.  <brohug>  You got this!

• Like 1

I've been pretty silent on the forums this week as I tried to get some things together...

But I see it's been pretty quiet over here, too.  I hope it's due to holiday festivities and not other overwhelming things... I am still praying for you, LostOne.  Please let us know how things went when you met this young man you're interested in and his family, and how things are going with you and your mother because of it.

Our God is a God of reconciliation.  It sounds like you've had a hard time with your mother for quite a while.  Try to remember, no matter what happens, that she is just human.  Born into sin, a slave of the enemy until given a new heart by the Captain of our souls, Christ.  If she is saved, she still has that flesh to battle.  If she isn't, anything negative she could say or do to you is just further evidence of her need of a Savior.  It is very hard to stay angry at someone when we are actively praying for their souls.

So, everyone, lets hear some updates from this week, some things we've been grateful for, and stories of general Turkey-ing!

• Like 2

The Supremacy of Jesus Christ

11/29/2014
November 29, 2014

He will glorify Me… —John 16:14

The holiness movements of today have none of the rugged reality of the New Testament about them. There is nothing about them that needs the death of Jesus Christ. All that is required is a pious atmosphere, prayer, and devotion. This type of experience is not supernatural nor miraculous. It did not cost the sufferings of God, nor is it stained with “the blood of the Lamb†(Revelation 12:11). It is not marked or sealed by the Holy Spirit as being genuine, and it has no visual sign that causes people to exclaim with awe and wonder, “That is the work of God Almighty!†Yet the New Testament is about the work of God and nothing else.

The New Testament example of the Christian experience is that of a personal, passionate devotion to the Person of Jesus Christ. Every other kind of so-called Christian experience is detached from the Person of Jesus. There is no regeneration— no being born again into the kingdom in which Christ lives and reigns supreme. There is only the idea that He is our pattern. In the New Testament Jesus Christ is the Savior long before He is the pattern. Today He is being portrayed as the figurehead of a religion— a mere example. He is that, but He is infinitely more. He is salvation itself; He is the gospel of God!

Jesus said, “…when He, the Spirit of truth, has come,…He will glorify Me…†(John 16:13-14). When I commit myself to the revealed truth of the New Testament, I receive from God the gift of the Holy Spirit, who then begins interpreting to me what Jesus did. The Spirit of God does in me internally all that Jesus Christ did for me externally

Sorry for the hiatus. Yes the holidays made me really busy, cooking, cleaning, and then spending all my time with my guy. Who I'm gonna marry when God says it's time :D. I met his parents, and he met mine the first day. And his mom loves me, and my parents really loved him. He is an amazing, awesome, Godly man and I'm thankful God made him for me.

My goals are ok, but I'm making Feb my time limit for the Marines. That means weight, doctor's note, etc. I'm also going to be looking for a job to get some money and fly to my guy to spend time with him.

How's everyone?

• Like 1

Sorry for the hiatus. Yes the holidays made me really busy, cooking, cleaning, and then spending all my time with my guy. Who I'm gonna marry when God says it's time :D. I met his parents, and he met mine the first day. And his mom loves me, and my parents really loved him. He is an amazing, awesome, Godly man and I'm thankful God made him for me.

My goals are ok, but I'm making Feb my time limit for the Marines. That means weight, doctor's note, etc. I'm also going to be looking for a job to get some money and fly to my guy to spend time with him.

How's everyone?

Yeay!  I'm so glad everything went well and that the families seem to be getting along!  Praise God!  Let us know how the job search goes and how all the medical stuff for getting into the Marines comes out.

• Like 1

“By the Grace of God I Am What I Amâ€

11/30/2014
November 30, 2014

By the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain… —1 Corinthians 15:10

The way we continually talk about our own inabilities is an insult to our Creator. To complain over our incompetence is to accuse God falsely of having overlooked us. Get into the habit of examining from God’s perspective those things that sound so humble to men. You will be amazed at how unbelievably inappropriate and disrespectful they are to Him. We say things such as, “Oh, I shouldn’t claim to be sanctified; I’m not a saint.†But to say that before God means, “No, Lord, it is impossible for You to save and sanctify me; there are opportunities I have not had and so many imperfections in my brain and body; no, Lord, it isn’t possible.†That may sound wonderfully humble to others, but before God it is an attitude of defiance.

Conversely, the things that sound humble before God may sound exactly the opposite to people. To say, “Thank God, I know I am saved and sanctified,†is in God’s eyes the purest expression of humility. It means you have so completely surrendered yourself to God that you know He is true. Never worry about whether what you say sounds humble before others or not. But always be humble before God, and allow Him to be your all in all.

There is only one relationship that really matters, and that is your personal relationship to your personal Redeemer and Lord. If you maintain that at all costs, letting everything else go, God will fulfill His purpose through your life. One individual life may be of priceless value to God’s purposes, and yours may be that life.

• Like 1

“By the Grace of God I Am What I Amâ€

11/30/2014
November 30, 2014

By the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain… —1 Corinthians 15:10

The way we continually talk about our own inabilities is an insult to our Creator. To complain over our incompetence is to accuse God falsely of having overlooked us. Get into the habit of examining from God’s perspective those things that sound so humble to men. You will be amazed at how unbelievably inappropriate and disrespectful they are to Him. We say things such as, “Oh, I shouldn’t claim to be sanctified; I’m not a saint.†But to say that before God means, “No, Lord, it is impossible for You to save and sanctify me; there are opportunities I have not had and so many imperfections in my brain and body; no, Lord, it isn’t possible.†That may sound wonderfully humble to others, but before God it is an attitude of defiance.

Conversely, the things that sound humble before God may sound exactly the opposite to people. To say, “Thank God, I know I am saved and sanctified,†is in God’s eyes the purest expression of humility. It means you have so completely surrendered yourself to God that you know He is true. Never worry about whether what you say sounds humble before others or not. But always be humble before God, and allow Him to be your all in all.

There is only one relationship that really matters, and that is your personal relationship to your personal Redeemer and Lord. If you maintain that at all costs, letting everything else go, God will fulfill His purpose through your life. One individual life may be of priceless value to God’s purposes, and yours may be that life.

When I was talking with some friends after church yesterday we got onto the topic of pride.  I've heard it said that pride is the root of all of our sin.  I do believe pride plays into it, but if I try to say, "If I had no pride, I would have no sin," it just doesn't seem accurate.  But lack of knowledge... lack of TRUTH.  That seems to be the ultimate source for my sins.  If I really knew who I was and who God is, if I really understood His work in me, then I wouldn't be tempted to doubt or trust in my own strength.  If I really understood salvation and sanctification I wouldn't doubt God's ability to cleanse me.  We're taught to seek first His kingdom.  The Word says that God is beyond our ability to find out, so we can never run out of new and amazing truths to learn of His character.  Pursuing God is our greatest goal, and our most satisfying aim.

We're three weeks into this thing.  As we keep working towards our challenges, lets remind ourselves to seek God first and to do all that we do to His glory and honor!

• Like 2

The Law and the Gospel

12/01/2014
December 1, 2014

Whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. —James 2:10

The moral law does not consider our weaknesses as human beings; in fact, it does not take into account our heredity or infirmities. It simply demands that we be absolutely moral. The moral law never changes, either for the highest of society or for the weakest in the world. It is enduring and eternally the same. The moral law, ordained by God, does not make itself weak to the weak by excusing our shortcomings. It remains absolute for all time and eternity. If we are not aware of this, it is because we are less than alive. Once we do realize it, our life immediately becomes a fatal tragedy. “I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died†(Romans 7:9). The moment we realize this, the Spirit of God convicts us of sin. Until a person gets there and sees that there is no hope, the Cross of Christ remains absurd to him. Conviction of sin always brings a fearful, confining sense of the law. It makes a person hopeless— “…sold under sin†(Romans 7:14). I, a guilty sinner, can never work to get right with God— it is impossible. There is only one way by which I can get right with God, and that is through the death of Jesus Christ. I must get rid of the underlying idea that I can ever be right with God because of my obedience. Who of us could ever obey God to absolute perfection!

We only begin to realize the power of the moral law once we see that it comes with a condition and a promise. But God never coerces us. Sometimes we wish He would make us be obedient, and at other times we wish He would leave us alone. Whenever God’s will is in complete control, He removes all pressure. And when we deliberately choose to obey Him, He will reach to the remotest star and to the ends of the earth to assist us with all of His almighty power.

I agree Randa, that's why I love the movie God's Not Dead.

• Like 1