• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TheComebackKid

The Comeback Kid gets Elementary

Nerds Unite,

I’ve been taking inspiration from characters from literature and pop culture…Henderson, from the book Henderson the Rain King, and Beast from the Marvel universe.

My last challenge was a little bit weak. I had a lot of success on some goals, but completely whiffed on a couple. This challenge, I’m going to attempt to be like the great Sherlock Holmes (minus the heroin). He may not be an assassin per se, but he has some assassin-y things about him.

sherlock-holmes-illustration.jpg

1.       Embrace the Belt (+3 DEX, +1 WIS, +1 CHA):

A little known fact about Holmes, which comes through in “The Adventure of the Empty House†is that he is a martial artist. Anyway, I took up taekwondo the day the last challenge started, and have gone to organized practice for 7 hours a week since. I am testing for my yellow belt (like a 10 year old, but you got to start somewhere) towards the end of this challenge.

·         Daily 20 minute practice for specific belt requirements

·         Successfully gain new belt

2.       Grip Strength (+3 STR, +1 DEX, +1 CON)

In “The Adventure of the Speckled Band†Holmes straightens out a fire poker. Last challenge I focused on my core, but this challenge I am looking to build strength so I can do fun things like rock climb.

·         Conduct a “grip circuit†four times a week. Circuit involves farmers walks, plate pinches, wrist curls, bar hangs, pull-ups and some other exercises I do not know how to describe.

·         I’ll define my goal next week, after I figure this out a little more.

3.       Musical Talents (+3 CHA)

Just like Steve, Sherlock Holmes plays the violin. I completely wiped out on an objective last time to play the guitar an hour a day. I’m bringing it back and angling for more success.

·         Play guitar one hour a day

·         Record myself playing the same song every week

4.       Focus (+2 WIS)

Holmes has an ability to focus himself intensely on any task. I want to be able to do this more effectively at work, so work doesn’t follow me home and invade my nerd time.

·         I want to completely eliminate distracted web browsing at work  (except for when I am eating my lunch)

·         Get up and take a lap around the cube farm every 30 minutes. I really do feel like a hamster on a wheel sometimes…

·         I want to post on NF challenge forums 5 times a week (including at least once on my thread). This will hopefully keep me engaged.

Thanks for reading.

-          TCK

post-31180-0-06427800-1415682665_thumb.j

• Like 1

Sounds awesome and so tangible. Love the Sherlock Holmes theme! 

If you start for the belt testing like a ten year old, you might catch the enthusiasm, curiosity and conquering the world feeling of ten year old in you, too ;) 

LOVE your focus goal!!

Feels like you will rock this challenge for you.

Sounds awesome and so tangible. Love the Sherlock Holmes theme! 

If you start for the belt testing like a ten year old, you might catch the enthusiasm, curiosity and conquering the world feeling of ten year old in you, too ;)

LOVE your focus goal!!

Feels like you will rock this challenge for you.

I love it! It has helped me feel like a kid again...it had been a long time since I got really into something. It is a great feeling to be finding that. 

Holmes would be proud, as am I. Loooove the theme, like the goals, and I think you'll own this challenge. I'll be watching you... :)

Thank you Lokesbrah. I need people keeping tabs on me, otherwise I would never check in haha. Too much computer time at work.

• Like 1

I dig it. I'm seeing lots of Assassins with musical goals. Maybe I'll have to add one.

Do it. “Music is to the soul what words are to the mind.†-- Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse

So? How is it going man?

Things are going pretty well so far, a little light on the guitar so far, but that's what Friday after work will be all about. Participated in the mini Carmen Sandiego challenge  and have been using these exercises for grip strength.  About to run down to the gym, but I curious to see what's going on with your challenge.

Week 1 Recap: The Case of the Yet Unfulfilled Ambition

Holmes took a lot around the recently (and hastily) cleaned room. "Still warm" Watson muttered, touching a computer that had just finished playing taekwondo training videos. "He must be training for a belt exam in the evenings after his soul-crushing job finishes," Watson added. Holmes slowly panned the room, still silent. He noticed weight on the floor under the bed and a pull-up bar hung over the door frame. Meanwhile Watson had opened the laptop and noticed a general lack of distracting sites during work hours. 

Then, Holmes approached the guitar in the corner of the room. Twirling a pick in his finger, Holmes mused, "This man seems to be quite the musician." But then, noticing the thin film of dust on the guitar he took it back. "Not yet," he said, placing his pipe into the crook of his mouth and striding out of the room.

- Thanks for reading. I had a fairly solid first week, succeeding on three of my goals but not on the music goal. I've been using my crazy work hours as an excuse and I know I am better than that and can find an hour or two here or there. The good news is that the master of my taekwondo group told me that as a reward for my diligence and improving skill, that he encouraged me to try and skip up a belt level on our test in December. I am training when I am not at work (most of my time), sleeping (2nd), or hanging out with my girlfriend (incredibly distant 3rd). Looking forward to keeping this going and hitting the gym before work tomorrow. Night.

-TCK

Wow, so I fell off here in a big way. A pretty good 6-week stretch in terms of what I was able to accomplish at work and in my personal life, but I did not come close to meeting my challenge goals. I could blame a knee injury or that I awesomely got a new girlfriend. This is the next level, as life gets more intense, I need to get more intense. Sherlock Holmes would have done that. I didn't. Well anyway, here is my point by point recap. You'll see some successes and some failures here. 

1.       Embrace the Belt - Full points (+3 DEX, +1 WIS, +1 CHA):

Really dedicated myself to this and crushed it. Proud of myself here. (It starts going downhill after this).

2.       Grip Strength - Half points (+1.5 STR, +.5 DEX, +.5 CON)

Did my circuit two times a week instead of four. Hence the half points. 

3.       Musical Talents - 0 Points

Swing and a miss

4.       Focus - 0 Points. 

Did better about focusing at work, but obviously didn't keep up with my goals of being active on this site. 

So, I don't think I leveled. But I'll be back...the name says it all. 

• Like 1

Woah, thanks for the best wishes. See you on the next challenge!

I think new found love makes up for way more than any delayed plans ;)

Congratulations and on the belt, of course, too! Enjoy the awesome stuff life brings you  :redface: