• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

QuirkyDM

QuirkyDM 's Unbirthday

That all sounds terrible! First world problems (and you have a good perspective on it), but still very real stress. And it sucks that your body isn't really letting you use exercise/training/competition as an outlet. With the finances, it sounds like you have done a lot of good planning and thinking. If the remodel wasn't the best financial decision (I have no idea...might have been great, might not), at least it's a limited thing. You've invested some money into your home and your quality of life. You and your wife can decide how to go forward, perhaps being more frugal for a while, making financial decisions in different ways, changing your spending/saving priorities, whatever.

I'm thinking you'll feel a hell of a lot better once the contractors get out of your house, the money hemorrhage stops, and you can do some damned pull-ups.

Now I remember why I started skimming the end of 7 habits...the synergy chapter seemed like B.S. and the last one ("sharpening your saw"??) did seem like filler. I found the first 3 most useful. Not sure what that means...introvert for sure.

With the exercise, if you can't run much yet, I was wondering if you could pick up a different sport for a while. I think you are up somewhere in the frozen northland (?). Do you skate, CC ski, or snowshoe? Don't know if those would bother your injury, but they might give you some variety to mix in with the walking. Plus any of those could be fun with the family.

I feel your black & white pain. Especially about finances. I tend to panic and go into super crazy pants cancel all the cable & never have any fun mode, too. Drive my husband - the spender - insane. Luckily, he finds the literal mindedness amusing. 

That all sounds terrible! First world problems (and you have a good perspective on it), but still very real stress. And it sucks that your body isn't really letting you use exercise/training/competition as an outlet. With the finances, it sounds like you have done a lot of good planning and thinking. If the remodel wasn't the best financial decision (I have no idea...might have been great, might not), at least it's a limited thing. You've invested some money into your home and your quality of life. You and your wife can decide how to go forward, perhaps being more frugal for a while, making financial decisions in different ways, changing your spending/saving priorities, whatever.

I'm thinking you'll feel a hell of a lot better once the contractors get out of your house, the money hemorrhage stops, and you can do some damned pull-ups.

Now I remember why I started skimming the end of 7 habits...the synergy chapter seemed like B.S. and the last one ("sharpening your saw"??) did seem like filler. I found the first 3 most useful. Not sure what that means...introvert for sure.

With the exercise, if you can't run much yet, I was wondering if you could pick up a different sport for a while. I think you are up somewhere in the frozen northland (?). Do you skate, CC ski, or snowshoe? Don't know if those would bother your injury, but they might give you some variety to mix in with the walking. Plus any of those could be fun with the family.

That was the seventh chapter of the book. I'm like you- the first 3 chapters were the most useful to me, but I'm definitely an introvert.

It's not that terrible That's the point. It just takes me so long to figure that out. Usually because it takes me so long to figure out that something is bothering me, and then a long time after that before I figure out what is wrong. In the meantime, I end up freaking out.

For exercise, I hope to start snowshoeing soon, but we have almost no snow here right now. Skiing and skating are right out until I'm healed. I hit my lower core all the time when I need balance and that's all the time when I'm skating and skiiing.

I feel your black & white pain. Especially about finances. I tend to panic and go into super crazy pants cancel all the cable & never have any fun mode, too. Drive my husband - the spender - insane. Luckily, he finds the literal mindedness amusing. 

I know you feel my pain. I saw some of this on your thread last challenge- including the link to that damned Mr. Money Moustache. :) The guy is like a NF rebel for retirement.

Quick update:

I hadn't done any walking yet this week, and work is slow, so I took an extended lunch and went for a nice long walk through the woods behind the office. And about 10 minutes into my walk, I come across a discarded spare tire frozen in the ground. Now, AwkwardActive has made tire workouts seem sooooo fun, that I just knew I couldn't pass this little gift by. So I grab the tire and keep walking.

After another 10 minutes, the path ends at a road with no path continuing on the other side. Which is really the way I like my forests anyway. I really don't know why I use paths at all. It's way more fun to push through the wilderness. The terrain is more fun to overcome and I get to go places most people ignore. Of course, I also thought if I fall through the snow into a stream and soak myself to my waist in freezing temperatures in the middle of a forest where no one knows where I am or can see me, that's maybe not so great either. But that didn't happen.

All told, I spent almost an hour hauling around a tire and traipsing through the woods. A little mid-day adventure, the kind I've missed over the last few months.

And as a bonus, I've got a workout tire in the trunk of my car now to take home. :)

• Like 3

I've really missed reading about workouts like that on your thread!

btw, have you read sloth-like's thread? He's got a whole system of walking the dog while dragging a tire :-)

Woo tire!

I actually just had to drag my tire from my trunk where it had been chilling since, oh.... August. But now you've got me thinking that maybe I need to get it out of storage.

Plus, all that tire-hauling counts for the mini-challenge.

Yes, it did. I didn't even consider that until half way through the run, and then I thought, "Bonus!"

I've really missed reading about workouts like that on your thread!

btw, have you read sloth-like's thread? He's got a whole system of walking the dog while dragging a tire :-)

And I've missed doing them. I haven't seen sloth-like's thread. Might have to take a peek ...

Woo tire!

I actually just had to drag my tire from my trunk where it had been chilling since, oh.... August. But now you've got me thinking that maybe I need to get it out of storage.

I was thinking of you when I picked it up. :) I knew you'd understand, though mine seems pretty small. I've gotta start somewhere,though.

Week, what is it 4? Recap

Generic excuse for everything:

I might as well make an overriding statement here about why stuff isn't getting done. December is crazy in my house. I mean, yes, there's Christmas, of course. But both my son and wife have birthdays this month. On Saturday, we held my son's Minecraft party, so last week, was all about getting that ready. This weekend is my wife's birthday, so this week is all about getting that ready. It's a big one, so I'm spending a lot of time on it. And the time I'm not spending is enjoying the new Netflix subscription, which was one of her early presents.

1. More me (Tabata)

Zero, zilch, nada. Epic fail and it's not going to get better as I am super busy right now. I need a new pull up method besides the door frame on my bedroom. One, I really feel bad about dinging up the door frame now that it's just been painted. At least while the contractors are still here and trying to make the place look nice. Second, it also means no way to do these privately, away from contractors or in the morning when everyone else is sleeping.

But contractors will be done this week! And i'm taking 2 weeks off for Xmas, so I hope to really hit the break with some hard exercise.

2. Magical Healing (Physio)

The hip flexors look to be dealing well right now. No issues with them at all after my hike last week. And no issue with just the tiny bit of running I did do while just walking around. This is about the only goal I'm hitting.

3. More Running. No running allowed.

I got my forest adventure in for an hour, but that's been it. See busy schedule above. My mornings are completely taken up with birthday prep.

4. Figure out who I am.

Busy, busy, busy. No new reading or contemplation. On a high note, though, after last week's revelations, I'm feeling better than I have in a while. More aware and thankful. Work has been really slow, and I've been taking the time to develop professionally, which feels good. It's been interesting and I'm enjoying it. It's good to know that my "what would I do if started over" list was right about at least that much. I could be sitting here all day  surfing the web, goofing around, leaving posts on NF,... :numbness: Um, well, I'm not on here that much. :)

5. Wake up early.

I'm doing decent on this still. A few mornings of sleeping in until 7 that I'm not really happy about, but it's not that bad.

• Like 1

I love the tire haul.

There are always times of year that are challenging, but acknowledging that it will pass and doesn't have to derail you totally is a good start.  When things settle down, you won't be starting from scratch.  Let yourself enjoy the holidays without worrying too much about the missed miles - your hip flexors will probably continue to improve with the rest anyway.

OK, I should wrap this up for completeness more than anything. Christmas is super busy- that's a given. And I already talked about the multiple birthday things. Anyway ...

1. More me (Tabata)

This has pretty much stopped. I get a workout in once a week, so if I'm lucky, I'm barely hitting maintenance.

2. Magical Healing (Physio)

I got right back into this and everything still seems to be healing. Just not fully healed yet, that's all.

3. More Running. No running allowed.

This went out the window in the last few weeks. I'd like to see about doing a couch to 5K program to ease back into running, but the holidays are too busy for that. Next challenge.

4. Figure out who I am.

I never wrote a mission statement. That being said, I'm in a very good headspace. It's still a work in progress, but with the renos done, my life is feeling pretty good.

5. Wake up early.

Pretty much got this back under control. It's the perfect time to get my physio done and watching Netflix (Full Metal Alchemist) is good incentive to be up in the mornings and do these exercises.

A very lackluster challenge. But now the New Year approaches. Time to start again. 

• Like 3