• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter gets physical

Mad Hatter gets physical

Wait for me! Since I'm already late let's just jump straight into physics 101.

tgrsp290023.gif

Newton's 1st law

Law of inertia - an object at rest will stay at rest

ga060710.gif

I sprained my thumb in the middle of last challenge and my training has taken a downhill turn since. I haven't practiced handstands in weeks and I've only just started being able to do some easy climbing again. I've been rather bummed out about it, but now that the thumb is healing I actually feel the inertia creeping in. To fight it I will introduce no zero days. I can work on whatever I want, but I'm going to try and pick exercises to help me with my long term goals according to priority

1. Hand balancing and contortion

2. Basic strength 

3. Climbing and lyra

Newton's 2nd law

Force = mass x acceleration

My trip to Paris was glorious. I ate all the food and all the pastries and drank all the wine. Glorious. But the decadence can't last forever and I could really do with a cut. After all less mass = less force necessary for a given acceleration. So no sweets and no junk for me. With exception of the delicious chocolates I brought back. ;) And in social contexts within reason. 

images-MassAcceleration_Fullpic_1.gif

Newton's 3d law

For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction

Another side effect of decadence is the suffering wallet. No regrets, but I really need to start saving wherever I can so that I can be irresponsible and spend the money on more fun things. ;) To do this I will bring lunch to work every day instead of eating out. Should also help with my second goal.

don039tforgetabo4f91ada13448a.jpg

Heisenberg uncertainty principle

It is impossible to simultaneously both know the exact position and velocity of an object.

I have so many things I'd like to do and learn that I get overwhelmed and end up doing nothing. Then I get sad that I haven't accomplished or learned anything. Since I can't do everything simultaneously, I'm going to spend some time rewriting and prioritising my bucket list, and then pick one big, ridiculous project that I can really dedicate myself to for a longer period of time next year.

comicnewton1.png

• Like 6

How is your thumb now, in terms of what it is/isn't restricting you from doing?

I have so many things I'd like to do and learn that I get overwhelmed and end up doing nothing. Then I get sad that I haven't accomplished or learned anything. Since I can't do everything simultaneously, I'm going to spend some time rewriting and prioritising my bucket list, and then pick one big, ridiculous project that I can really dedicate myself to for a longer period of time next year.

I know this feeling so well! :( Whenever I have a free weekend, I feel inspired by all the awesome things I could do from my huge notepad of ideas... and then by Sunday I'm depressed that I've done nothing more productive than grocery shopping or seeing a random friend or whatever. If this works well for you I might do something similar next challenge (or you know, before then).

Also, what is "no zero days"?

Mad Hatter gets physical

Wait for me! Since I'm already late let's just jump straight into physics 101.

tgrsp290023.gif

Newton's 1st law

Law of inertia - an object at rest will stay at rest

ga060710.gif

I sprained my thumb in the middle of last challenge and my training has taken a downhill turn since. I haven't practiced handstands in weeks and I've only just started being able to do some easy climbing again. I've been rather bummed out about it, but now that the thumb is healing I actually feel the inertia creeping in. To fight it I will introduce no zero days. I can work on whatever I want, but I'm going to try and pick exercises to help me with my long term goals according to priority

1. Hand balancing and contortion

2. Basic strength 

3. Climbing and lyra

Newton's 2nd law

Force = mass x acceleration

My trip to Paris was glorious. I ate all the food and all the pastries and drank all the wine. Glorious. But the decadence can't last forever and I could really do with a cut. After all less mass = less force necessary for a given acceleration. So no sweets and no junk for me. With exception of the delicious chocolates I brought back. ;) And in social contexts within reason. 

images-MassAcceleration_Fullpic_1.gif

Newton's 3d law

For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction

Another side effect of decadence is the suffering wallet. No regrets, but I really need to start saving wherever I can so that I can be irresponsible and spend the money on more fun things. ;) To do this I will bring lunch to work every day instead of eating out. Should also help with my second goal.

don039tforgetabo4f91ada13448a.jpg

Heisenberg uncertainty principle

It is impossible to simultaneously both know the exact position and velocity of an object.

comicnewton1.png

Love the idea of picking one item and working on it. 

There you are :)

I'm sorry I wasn't there to support you during your last challenge - I went about the same way you did. But I'm here now and will cheer you on, where ever you decide to go! 

I'm not sure if this will make you feel a bit better perhaps, but! 

Thanks to you and your inspiration, I just signed up for a circus school last night :) I don't yet know whether I'm too old or not, but I'm very optimistic, and I would never have thought to even look for one, let alone had the courage to send them an email if it wasn't for you. So, thank you for that. :)

• Like 1

Such a deliciously nerdy thread. Subbing!

And I have to protest. You haven't drink all the beer, there was at least 100 others references at the Troll.

• Like 1

In on this. :)

Welcome back! I'm glad to see you.

I'm glad you had such a fantastic time in Paris!!!

Paris comes highly recommended. Especially since Nuala lives there. :)

How is your thumb now, in terms of what it is/isn't restricting you from doing?

I know this feeling so well! :( Whenever I have a free weekend, I feel inspired by all the awesome things I could do from my huge notepad of ideas... and then by Sunday I'm depressed that I've done nothing more productive than grocery shopping or seeing a random friend or whatever. If this works well for you I might do something similar next challenge (or you know, before then).

Also, what is "no zero days"?

I can do most things now but it does get achy, how bad and how quickly depends on how strenuously I'm working it. Gripping with my thumb is the worst, like holding on to pinches. Some days it hurts more than others too. But there's always things I can work on.

Maybe I should've called it a hard hat challenge. No zero days is just doing something every day, no matter how small. 

Love the idea of picking one item and working on it. 

I hope it will work out. There's plenty of time so if I can always pick something else later!

There you are :)

I'm sorry I wasn't there to support you during your last challenge - I went about the same way you did. But I'm here now and will cheer you on, where ever you decide to go! 

I'm not sure if this will make you feel a bit better perhaps, but! 

Thanks to you and your inspiration, I just signed up for a circus school last night :) I don't yet know whether I'm too old or not, but I'm very optimistic, and I would never have thought to even look for one, let alone had the courage to send them an email if it wasn't for you. So, thank you for that. :)

SQUEEEEEE that's so awesome!!! I hope you're ready to get addicted!

Such a deliciously nerdy thread. Subbing!

And I have to protest. You haven't drink all the beer, there was at least 100 others references at the Troll.

Ok I didn't drink all the beer. :P But I did eat and drink loads!

Yay! Hatter is back!  It sounds like you got the rest you needed, recharged your batteries, and are ready to go!

Yep, let's do this!

This.

Following you Ms Hatter. Hope your thumb feels better soon so you can keep kicking ass. :)

Yay! I hope so too, it's getting really lame now.

I love the theme of this challenge. Good luck!

Thanks! :D

Good to see you back, Mistress.  We've missed you around here.  

tumblr_m5m1wmutqi1rwcc6bo2_500.gif

Missed you too Jitters!

• Like 3

Welcome back, lovely! This challenge looks splendiiiid. Saving money -> eating more at home -> eating better, generally, I find, so those are good things to be aiming for at once. :D

Yay physics! :D

Yay!

I've had Olivia Newton John stuck in my head all morning and couldn't figure out why until I saw your thread name again. ;)

That exact same thing happened to me!! :D

Muahaha

physical.gif

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 3

1st law (Move): Just a token stretch/foam rolling session in front of the telly. I was really, really tired after work.

2nd law (Sweets): I did have a small slice of a cinnamon roll at work, but that's ok, work counts as a social context (we don't have cake that often) and my calories were pretty low during the day. Also fish tacos yum. :)

3rd law (Lunch): Didn't have time to prepare anything but luckily I still had some lasagne in the freezer so lunch box win!

Oh my, I only now spotted your new challenge because you linked it in your old one! For some reason I thought that was the new one. I'm weird. I LOVE this the nerdy cartoon are just icing on the cake! I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday! I want to acquire less mass and decadence too because wow, gravity does not help with climbing :P 

Unless it's on the moon...  :rolleyes:

Also you know I mentioned I wanted to be irresponsible with money but on something else than eating lunch out? Well, I'm going to Argentina over Christmas for 3-4 weeks! SQUEEEEE! :D I'm going to drink so much wine and dance so much tango! Then it's one or two weeks at work and I'm off to Thailand for a friend's wedding blessing ceremony thingy, beach and food for another two weeks. Suddenly I feel like I might survive this winter after all! 

• Like 7

I'm going to Argentina over Christmas for 3-4 weeks! SQUEEEEE! :D I'm going to drink so much wine and dance so much tango! Then it's one or two weeks at work and I'm off to Thailand for a friend's wedding blessing ceremony thingy, beach and food for another two weeks. Suddenly I feel like I might survive this winter after all! 

Haha, you mean "survive the Summer" :P I'm pretty jealous, especially as I've just come back from Thailand! Where are you going to be in Thailand?