• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter gets physical

Exactly!!

It has been a while, I've been too busy to post but I'm always stalking. 

Stalking.gif

giphy.gif

That was excellent!  Thank you for sharing that video.

:D

It wasn't so long ago that you had the strength, so I think you'll have it back soon! It seems to be easiest for the big muscles, so if it's pull-ups you're struggling with, maybe the biggest culprit is your finger strength, making the rest of you work harder?

Haven't thought of that, but you could be right. I'm using a very loose grip because of my thumb, partly because it's still not fully healed and partly because of latent paranoia that it will hurt. Hope I can get them back quickly. :)

Your muscles shouldn't atrophy in a month.  I'm sure you still have the strength to do pull ups.  It's either a thumb problem or a mental block, or maybe both.  :)  Really, the lose grip can affect your ability to do the pull-ups, and it's probably the culprit.

Your thumb is still not totally healed? That sucks :(

Yep it does. But it's getting better now! And 4-6 weeks healing time is considered normal so I'm not worried. Just impatient. ;)

Your muscles shouldn't atrophy in a month.  I'm sure you still have the strength to do pull ups.  It's either a thumb problem or a mental block, or maybe both.   :)  Really, the lose grip can affect your ability to do the pull-ups, and it's probably the culprit.

That does make me feel a lot better, thanks. :) Though I really have been neglecting plain old strength training in favor of fun things. I don't necessarily think that that's a bad thing, but I think I'd really benefit from it.

Week 2 Day 2

1st law (Move): Something weird happened and I woke up at 6 am in a hyper productive mood. I started the day by cooking, studying Spanish and doing some handstand work (+3 pts), which I haven't done in ages. It was weird, I was extremely inconsistent but surprisingly enough I also managed to hit some really good ones. After work I went to flexy class (+3 pts), which was even more brutal than usual. The class doesn't start until 7 pm so I stayed at work until then and I was already extremely tired before the class even started. Leg stretch went ok even though I was still really tight from the Sunday class. Except for some stretches that were extra painful like when the teacher made me use foam rollers under my feet in an overpancake. 

But backbends! Oh my. She made us do sooo much strength work, and we went over by almost half an hour. Which means 3 hours of work. At one point I was so tired I wanted to curl up right then and there and go to sleep. For what it's worth even one of the best male poledancers in the world finds the class difficult, so it's not just me. :) My teacher actually gave a little encouraging lecture on her own experience (she has/had a similar body to mine) and how it took her a really long time to get her chest stand, but honestly at that point I just wanted to throw in the towel. But even with the tiredness I managed to complete all the exercises. The highlight was that my standing backbends were suuuper controlled. Even holding on to a yoga block for extra weight I could control the movement all the way down and up, and not dropping at all in the last inches. So small improvements, just not with the frickin' strength work...

2nd law (No sweets): Still good!

3rd law (Lunch): Red pork with rice, broccoli and bok choy with a soy based sauce.

Spanish: Yabla in the morning, Duolingo on the tube both in the morning and after class in order to not fall asleep. Not sure how productive it was as I made loads of mistakes, but maybe something will stick.

• Like 2

Sloooow backbends sounds like strength work to me! Control is definitely evidence of strength and requires serious command over your muscles. :)

That class sounds excellent. 

It is strength work, but you can use your legs and core in a different way in the backbends. Deadlifts into cheststand on the other hand seem ridiculously far away. And it's kind of depressing when everyone else can lift really high or all the way while I can barely get off the floor...

Also fun fact, yesterday we were 3 guys and only 2 girls in class. :D

• Like 1

Oooh I need to get working on my backbends again! It's weird how that's what I originally came to NF working on and now my interests have kind of totally switched.  But I read things like your post and I miss working on them.

That's exactly how I feel most of the time. :P

We've had our share of discussions on the tradeoffs between getting lean and eating all the things among the assassins, so I thought I'd share this nice infographic.

precision-nutrition-cost-of-getting-lean

• Like 3

Yeah. Nice image! I'm not willing to give up eating delicious unhealthy things sometimes... There was a point in life I adopted an athlete's way of eating and I was miserable, hungry and super obsessed. So everything within reason, losing weight slowly with portion control but not denying myself anything seems the way to go! You wouldn't give up any yummy treats forever either, right? :o

Very good info graphic. I thought it was fairly accurate but never being that low I wouldn't know. 

I liked that they used a "may" often because, it doesn't need all those things to get the results. I've followed people who did very little exercise and still got into the high single digits. The most important variable, I've noticed, is diet, and how strict you have to be. I also like how plainly it states how difficult it is to achieve. 

I also thought it was great that they start by asking what a persons goal is. It's important. 

And they clarify that being at super low body fat isn't something that people do for a long periods of time, usually it's for a very specific event. That's important for people to understand. My goal is to be under 15% by February, and as close to 10% the end of March. It's going to be hard, and I'm not going to like it but damn straight will it be worth it to me.

I really appreciate the info graphic, too.  For most people, unless they're professional level athletes or make a lot of money off of their appearance, the benefit to work&deprivation ratio starts to become really really low around the 3rd "healthy" category.   I'm pretty content just falling somewhere in "healthy" land and still being able to enjoy some tasty food and beer.  

I'm getting the feeling that figuring out the benefit-to-effort balance is what makes maintenance so freakin hard.

Do you mean at any level or at lower body fats?

If the latter, I'm curious as well. I've found I can maintain easily just under 20%, so I wonder how eady it will be at sub 10s. I hope with enough time I can do it with zero counting?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I think the difficulty of maintaining will depend on how much you like to exercise vs how much you like to eat... But personally I think getting there is the hard part. Once you get there you get to eat more again. :)

• Like 1