Mad Hatter gets physical

Mad Hatter

Do you mean at any level or at lower body fats?

If the latter, I'm curious as well. I've found I can maintain easily just under 20%, so I wonder how eady it will be at sub 10s. I hope with enough time I can do it with zero counting?

By maintenance I mean the level you decide you're happy with, no matter where that is. If you're happy with your fitness (strength, endurance, flexibility, etc) and happy with your body (appearance, health, etc), then figuring out how to stay there is what I'm finding to be tricky. I don't want to have to count calories forever, and I don't want to spend my whole life working out. Finding the balance is tough for me. I'm currently at 23% body fat according to the latest measurement (from a couple of weeks ago).

I think the difficulty of maintaining will depend on how much you like to exercise vs how much you like to eat... But personally I think getting there is the hard part. Once you get there you get to eat more again. :)

The first part, exactly! I found getting to where I am to be shockingly easy ... It took me four or five months of dedicated attention. I only had 20 lbs to lose, so I know I had it really easy compared to some. It's very tempting for me to fall back into eating too much. I don't want to gain it back and have to lose it again.

I love that infographic!

also I am still loving all your bend back stuff.

Glad you like it!

Me too. :) Even if it's frustrating.

Haven't checked your thread in a while and I missed too much! I think once your thumb heals your pull up power will return. Love the dance video, really shows what hard work and consistency can do for you. And the info graphic-fabulous, thanks for sharing!

You should know, you're the queen of consistency.

By maintenance I mean the level you decide you're happy with, no matter where that is. If you're happy with your fitness (strength, endurance, flexibility, etc) and happy with your body (appearance, health, etc), then figuring out how to stay there is what I'm finding to be tricky. I don't want to have to count calories forever, and I don't want to spend my whole life working out. Finding the balance is tough for me. I'm currently at 23% body fat according to the latest measurement (from a couple of weeks ago).

The first part, exactly! I found getting to where I am to be shockingly easy ... It took me four or five months of dedicated attention. I only had 20 lbs to lose, so I know I had it really easy compared to some. It's very tempting for me to fall back into eating too much. I don't want to gain it back and have to lose it again.

As long as you keep track I don't think you have to worry about it. 20 lbs is not that easy to gain if you're habits are good overall. Your weight might fluctuate up and down a bit in periods but as long as it's within the bounds about a happy set point you'll be fine. If you start gaining a bit more than you're comfortable with you can just do a quick cut for a few weeks and then you'll be back and as gorgeous as ever.

Love this thread love the pictures love the physics love the humor just love it. Accomplish ALL the goals

ALL THE GOALS! :D

Subbing for physics.

Yay physics! Great to have you hear. 

• Like 1

Week 2 update

Sorry for the lack of updates. I went into hiding mode. Again. But  this time I decided to just ride it out. Instead of dealing with all the things I need to do (cleaning my flat, batch cooking, replying to e-mails etc etc) I did... Nothing. I stayed in and watched movies and let the mountain pile up. Whatever. But just because I've been a slob doesn't mean I've been completely inactive. 

1st law (Move): I went to my backbend class (+3 pts) on Sunday but I was dehydrated and it really sucked. I also did 2 shorter handbalancing sessions for 6 pts. It didn't go that great but at least I'm gaining momentum again. I also had a short bouldering (+1 pt) session. I only climbed blue ones though, my climbing confidence is practically non-existent right now, it's like I'm starting from square 0 again. Ok square 1. Total score: 18 pts.

2nd law (No sweets): Amazingly enough I've managed to mostly stay away from the junk food. I did have salty crisps one day because I was feeling sick and for some reason it helps. But it's going well, I'm ~2 kg down since the beginning of the challenge. Based on the infographic I think I'd be comfortable sitting around 23% BF. My scale says I'm about 27%, which I think is a close enough estimate, which means I need to lose 4-5 kg or so. Totally doable before Thailand. ;)

3rd law (Lunch): I missed one day last week because I ran out of food in the freezer, I didn't feel like cooking in the evening and I really didn't want to cook in the morning the next day. My will power stats are low right now. But a 7 day streak is still 6 more days than my previous record. :PCurrent score: 9/10 days

Spanish: I did loads and loads of Spanish this weekend too and I'm now done with the Duolingo skill tree. I don't know the material as such yet, but I wanted to get through it quickly so that I will at least have seen most of the different sentence constructions. 

• Like 4

Oh  noooo sorry about that news about your flat :(

But... great job getting stuff done even when you were kinda being mopey and hide-y. :) And you even stayed away from sweets! That's so impressive... usually when I get in that sort of mood everything goes to crap.

You should know, you're the queen of consistency.

Haha. Thanks! But compared to her, I am only a consistency trainee. Sticking with one thing for an entire year is an impressive feat. Right now, I haven't done any handstand work all challenge, just got sort of burned out on it. Which is fine,I'll get back to it. But, I'm impressed with people like her who stick at something really long term.

Congrats on the weight loss and staying away from salty stuff!

At least you're totally back in the swing of things with your workouts.  I'm sorry about the flat.  Maybe you can tackle the cleaning that's piling up by just starting to pack things in boxes for the move.  

I used to be awful about getting overwhelmed with the mess in my house and then doing nothing rather than chipping away at it.  What really has helped me is to set a timer for 15 minutes or a half hour, put on some great music, and then just focus on cleaning whatever I can in that time period.   I can make myself handle my adulting if I know I just have to do it for a short period of time, and then stop even if I haven't finished.  But it's tough when you feel like you need to fix the entire mess.

• Like 1

Thanks EG. :)

I really don't know how I'm supposed to break this loop. It's getting kind of ridiculous.

At least I'm managing to more or less maintain. I've been eating stupidly and gained back a kg, but that's not too bad considering there was both an office christmas party and a fancy meal out with colleagues. Easily fixed problem once I get my act together and stop eating like an idiot. On the plus side I've brought lunch to work 4 times a week every week! The unexpected bonus is that I get to chat with people that I don't normally see. Once a week I do eat out and that way I get to see my regular lunch buddies too.

My pull-ups also somehow magically came back (well, one did). And I'm making slow but steady progress in flexy class, my hip flexor stretch got "upgraded" (i.e. more painful), I managed to get into a bow pose variation we've been working on and I can finally feel something happening in my swan dives. Not that I can do them yet, but things are slooowly coming together. Also all this strength building made me the unquestionable limbo champion at the office party haha. ;) So that bit's going well, but it's also the only thing I'm working on consistently. And I'm a bit scared that I will lose it all since I'll be traveling so much the next two months...

Besides that I've done nothing really. A little bit of Spanish but only halfhearted revision.

But there's two weeks left of the challenge and today I'm getting back on the climbing horse! For some reason I'm kind of nervous, so wish me luck. :)

• Like 2

Your strength will disappear less quickly than I think you fear - I had nearly a month away from strength stuff while I was on holiday in October (except for one crazy gymnastics/weightlifting day in Singapore), then came back and soon set a load of new powerlifting records and made huge progress on my frontflips. Other things degraded in performance (pull-ups, for example) so it's a bit unpredictable. As long as you generally keep up the good work when you can, you won't have destroyed your habits.

I think you've fallen off the wagon in fewer places than you are giving yourself credit for anyway :P

I love that you're limbo champion! Awesome that you're back for the next 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

They had nothing on me. ;) Not even the girls that were a head shorter. :P

bringiton.gif

After that collection of gif magnificence I have nothing further to add. :)

Thank you. You're amazing. I'm so grateful to have a place where I can fail over and over and over again and you're still here to support me. 

Your strength will disappear less quickly than I think you fear - I had nearly a month away from strength stuff while I was on holiday in October (except for one crazy gymnastics/weightlifting day in Singapore), then came back and soon set a load of new powerlifting records and made huge progress on my frontflips. Other things degraded in performance (pull-ups, for example) so it's a bit unpredictable. As long as you generally keep up the good work when you can, you won't have destroyed your habits.

I think you've fallen off the wagon in fewer places than you are giving yourself credit for anyway :tongue:

It looks like you were right when you said that once my grip came back my pull-ups would too. :) I need to get into my old habits though, I used to do so much more than now. Lately I've only been doing flexy training and that's it. Maybe I haven't fallen off the wagon that much in terms of results. But mentally it feels like I'm barely hanging on to the railing. I just don't have the same energy and drive at the moment. Hopefully a few weeks of sunshine will help with that!

Oh and I went climbing yesterday! The session started off ok, and I at least tried a few red ones again. But at some point my confidence just shattered for no apparent reason and I got really sad that I couldn't do any of the problems. I have no idea what's going on. I do hope I can get my climbing mojo back soon... My thumb held up just fine it though and it's only slightly achy today. :)

• Like 1