Mad Hatter gets physical

Maybe you're not succeeding at your challenge as written, but all things considered, you're still doing fine.  You knew beforehand that it would be a challenging time of the year for you to remain active and not depressed.  You're still maintaining, and you're still doing flexy classes and climbing.  Sometimes, it's the right time to be really ambitious, and other times, it's better to be in damage control mode, where you do what you can and make sure you aren't gaining weight or losing strength.  

• Like 1

:wub:

Flexy day yesterday. Most of the class went pretty well, until I completely ran out of steam and didn't have a clue what was going on anymore and spend more time crawling on the floor than not. I don't even know how I managed to get myself back home haha. Today I'm still super tired as I only slept for 7 hours or and I find that after this particular class I need at least 9 to recover. Is it naptime yet? :)

I think, dear, that you are expecting too much of yourself. We all have so many interesting things that we want to accomplish. Things to do, places to see, awesomeness to learn - SQUIRREL. It's so easy to get side tracked when you are dreamy-eyed over the candy store of life. It's very hard for me to narrow things down for myself, but I have to. I have to be very specific with myself about what I want to accomplish in a 6-week time frame. I can plan all the awesome things I want for the future, but I cannot work on them until my current goals are met. It's hard. Sometimes my inner child gets awfully worked up about it. But it's better in the long run, especially because life. I try not to have any zero days with my fitness and diet goals - they don't have to be 100%, but they can't be 0%.

Sorry you have to move again. I can't imagine how frustrating that is. I HATE moving. But at least that means you get some new adventures. And you have all kinds of trips, which is awesome. Just keep working towards making all of this your new life habit. Some of my new habits I still HATE. Like doing the dishes every night when I get home. BLAH. But if I don't do them, I hate the result so much more. So I suck it up, do it quickly, and move on. My house is a disaster with my daughter and husband staying at home right now, but it won't be like that forever. I just take manageable bites, and when I see progress there it encourages me to have progress in other places. I pick small goals I know I can attain, so that it helps keep me positive that I can be successful with the big ones. When I catch myself saying "f- it. It'll still be there tomorrow" I remind myself how it will make me feel still having that task undone.

I try very hard to look out for future-me. I do her as many favors as I can to make her life easier. Even little things like clearing the path to the couch when I go to bed, because I know I'll end up there in the morning and I don't want to step on anything. If I look at something and think "I should put that away" I do it right then. I hate finding stuff where it doesn't belong. Or not being able to find something. I hate when I don't have food prepped, or snacks ready, or I run out of heavy cream. So I make sure to take care of those things - even when I don't want to - so that future me has the easiest time possible. Setting myself up for success makes every aspect of my life easier :)

• Like 3

I have to say that I'm not usually a fan of the idea of a past and future me. All my actions are and will be informed by my past experiences and I also don't want to live in anticipation for the awesomeness of future me, that may or may not ever come. And if now me is awesome so will future me by definition. :)

Having said that now me really, really sucks, so maybe you have a point. I just keep sabotaging for myself. These last weeks have been terrible, my eating habits have regressed something awful, I've hardly moved and I've been hiding from the world, distracting myself with TV and games. I've been a zombie at work. I know I need to break the cycle but I just don't have the energy. It took me like 2 weeks to clean the kitchen.

But I think this trip will do me a world of good! Sometimes a hard reset is exactly what's needed. Sunshine, climbing, no computer and adventures will set me straight. :) This weekend I'm going to see my parents, which will be nice as it's very undemanding and relaxing hanging out there. Well, as long as I'm not there for more than two days. ;) anyways, this challenge has been a massive fail, but I expect to be back with a vengeance in the new year!

• Like 3

I have so many things I'd like to do and learn that I get overwhelmed and end up doing nothing. Then I get sad that I haven't accomplished or learned anything. 

This (from your original post on this challenge) ^^^ seems to be the heart of all of your problems.  Maybe, rather than setting even more ambitious goals to really force yourself to do things, you need to scale back and set smaller, more reasonable goals to start creating and building upon success.   I think you have a tendency to set yourself up for failure by being a little too ambitious during times of the year that you're going to be struggling, and then hiding and doing nothing because failure is scary.  

I have to say that I'm not usually a fan of the idea of a past and future me. All my actions are and will be informed by my past experiences and I also don't want to live in anticipation for the awesomeness of future me, that may or may not ever come. And if now me is awesome so will future me by definition. :)

Having said that now me really, really sucks, so maybe you have a point. I just keep sabotaging for myself. These last weeks have been terrible, my eating habits have regressed something awful, I've hardly moved and I've been hiding from the world, distracting myself with TV and games. I've been a zombie at work. I know I need to break the cycle but I just don't have the energy. It took me like 2 weeks to clean the kitchen.

I agree with you completely on the "future me" thing.  Heck, my "future me" was going to be climbing V5s by now.  And then I blew out my knee.  It's better to understand that some things will take a lot of time and patience to achieve, but you still have to enjoy and appreciate the now.  

Maybe to break your cycle, you could just start really small.  Since everything is better when you're listening to some good music, maybe spend a week where you'll play one favorite song and work on cleaning your kitchen for the length of that song.  After a week, increase it to two songs.  After all, how bad can it be to do maybe 5 minutes of cleaning while dancing around to some awesome music?  Yeah, maybe you won't make a huge dent in the mess, but it should be easy to motivate yourself if you know you only have to clean for a short while, and at least you'll eventually get in the habit.  

• Like 2

Agree with Raptradonz0r (and Nymeria, by transitivity). I've had the same problems, when I create challenges like:

• strength train upper body 5 days per week
  • plyometrics 8 days per week
  • spend 20 hours learning Latvian every evening
  • learn a 1-handed handstand and perform it on a unicycle whilst playing "Flight of the BumbleBee" backwards on the trombone

...and then I feel like a failure when I don't have the time and energy to do it all and my skills don't progress as fast in real life as they do in my imagination :( Pick stuff that you can clearly see that you can achieve, and then enjoy the process.

Enjoy Argentina and Thailand and whatever other crazy travel plans you had :D I'll try not to be too jealous every time I remember that it's deepest winter...

I will definitely keep your comments in mind for the next challenge. Either I'll have really small goals or perhaps even stick to a single goal. But I actually didn't think I went overboard this challenge! :P

Really! 

I admit I gave up on the challenge but just for the sake of it I'll do a goal recap.

1. Move everyday - this really shouldn't be a difficult goal for me. I did however underestimate how bad winter would be. Last year I was in Oz so I must have forgotten the effect it has on me. There was also extremely little light this year (even by usual standards) and I haven't taken any vit D or used my lamp, which may or may not have helped with energy levels.

2. No sweets or junk (within reason) - I'm not sure what happened because this fell apart in a bad way. Really bad. I reversed to old old bad habits that I thought I'd kicked for good. Now I really need to break the loop, but I have no doubt I will in Argentina. 

3. Bring lunch to work - This was actually a success! :D I brought lunch to work 4x/week every week. One day a week I let myself eat out. 

4. Reduce my number of goals haha. :P - I did do some work on this, if for no other reason than to keep my inspired for when I get out of my funk. I have prioritised my list but I haven't come up with one creative project to work on. But I have plenty of time because I wouldn't start it until spring anyway.

So I failed goals 1 and 2 and completed goals 3 and 4. The first two would normally be very doable. Lesson learned. Next winter I simply won't attempt anything that requires willpower or takes more than 5 minutes. ;) 

And for the next 2 months I think I'll do a series of 2 week mini-challenges, since that will tie in nicely with my travel plans and the start and end of the next challenge. :) The first one will be to stretch everyday just to get my body moving again. And I'll need after all that plane time. 

Aso WOOOT I'm flying tomorrow, I'm so excited!!! :D

And I still haven't packed.

• Like 3

Have an awesome trip!!

And as for your questions as to whether Vit D and your light would help energy. I vote yes. It doesn't bring mine to summer levels, but it really does help. But I have to make myself use the light,because otherwise I get grumpy about it, say it doesn't really help and never use it. 

• Like 1

I didn't think about how the 'past me' 'future me' thing could be taken. I don't necessarily mean in the big sense, if you don't want it to be. It can be caring enough for yourself to ensure immediate success. Like I said, it's just the little things that show I care for myself when I get there. I pick out my clothes the night before work, so I don't have to have a fashion crisis in the morning. I do meal prep for the week so I don't have to stare at my fridge and wonder what I'm going to eat. I put things back where they belong so I don't have to search for them. There is a lot to be said about being mindful of the moment enough to take care of immediate things you don't want to deal with, so you don't have to deal with them later when you're grumpy about it.

I don't believe in blowing off your future, "because it might not happen". That's just asking for disaster. That's racking up your credit cards because you'll deal with it later, or not taking care of yourself because you're going to die anyway. I think that is a very dangerous rabbit hole to jump down. There are big real important reasons to think about your future me. I go to the gym every day to reduce my chances of getting cancer. That's a big reason to take care of future me now. Ignoring the future and blowing it off as 'I'll deal with it when I get there' is how I ended up overweight, in debt, and in a cluttered house. NOW I have to deal with it, when I should have been looking out for myself when it was all piling up. Having end goals is what life is all about, really. The timeline may change, the goal may change, but having something to work towards is what gets you up in the morning. I'd love to say that now-me is always awesome, so future me will benefit, but that's just not the case. Especially when you are feeling down and make spur of the moment decisions. I'm working on having now-me be outstanding so future-me is as well, but I still have to remind myself to take care of both (because I totally like blowing off future-me, it can be a big burden).

It's a hard transition to make, I'll admit it. The grumpy now-me does NOT want to have to deal with dishes every day when I get home. I'm downright resentful of it. But I do it, because I know how much worse it will be if I don't. Getting to that point involved lots of days of being pissed off at the sink. And really, just choosing one small thing to do that with was very helpful for me was what I needed to do to get the ball rolling. I still struggle a lot, but I'm kind to myself, and I focus on what I can do right now to move towards my end goals as joyfully as possible.

Smaller bites would definitely do you good, although I applaud your boundless enthusiasm :) You are a great joy to follow, and I know you'll be feeling better after the holidays pass!

• Like 2

I just feel that what makes me feel good now are things that are good for future me too. I train because I love it, I eat good food because I love it. Sure sometimes I eat too much chocolate but then the next day I won't want any, it's auto regulated. Same with money or booze or what have you. The problems start when I stop doing things I love and instead do things I dislike. It's like I actively want to make myself feel bad. It's really dumb behaviour, for both now me and future me.

Making things easier for myself, like doing the dishes on the same day or prep food, I just file under general life optimisation, or how to make sucky tasks less sucky. Those are important no matter mood, but I agree it does become extra important when I start slipping.

I love reading your comments, it's all rather interesting! And thanks for the kind words. :)

• Like 2

Smaller bites would definitely do you good, although I applaud your boundless enthusiasm :) You are a great joy to follow, and I know you'll be feeling better after the holidays pass!

^ This!

Hope you had/are having fun!  Looking forward to you kicking butt this year.