Reboot! (Thister's Return)

Thister

What's up good people?! 

I've returned after a brief hiatus thanks to an email from a NF friend from my previous incomplete challenge and I'm ready to actually finish this challenge in full for once. (I was doing well last time until my move, after all.) For those of you that know me from the previous challenge, my move from the East to the West threw me off my goals. I didn't make them a priority as I traveled back home and visited with family and friends along the way, and I found it so easy to let everything slide because I was getting away from the negative environment of my PhD program. The joy of spending time with family and friends free of any guilt and real responsibilities made it easy to just relish the time I had in each place I stopped before returning home. 

That was two months ago, though. Since then, things have been good and bad, as is often the case with life. I've actually been good about staying fit and I even started CrossFit. I've felt happier since i moved away, too. The distance from my program, though, has also been a bit bad because I haven't felt any motivation to work on anything outside my online course.

All that aside, I'm here and I'm already doing this!

Main Quest: Feel more confident in my grad work, be more organized and focused with my school work and teaching, and look good naked (Hey yo!).

The only way I can think to measure this is to set a specific date and then compare by three measurements. For the purpose of this challenge, I'll set the first date as the last day of this challenge, but the long term goal date will be six months from where I am now. The three measurements will be: 1) Work-Related Confidence, measured by being able to clearly, openly, and calmly communicate with my advisor and committee members in email correspondence, in person, or via skype; 2) Organization and Focus, measured by meeting deadlines I set and also staying on task for set periods of time (at least two hour block sessions each day I devote to writing); 3) Sexiness (Hey yo!), measured by both before and after photographs and before and after measurements.  

Quest One: Do CrossFit Light Three times a week or at least 18 times.

I started doing CrossFit Light two weeks ago, and I enjoy it. I've done it almost every weekday for the last two weeks, and I'll continue to do that until next week when I'm away for a conference. After that, I plan to do it every other weekday. (Even though I am late, then, I've already started this.)

Quest Two: Write up one to three pages of a dissertation chapter a day or approximately a minimum of 30 pages by the end of six weeks.

This quest is a little more flexible because it needs to be given my schedule. I do, however, need to have the chapter completed by December 3rd. If I am done before then, I'll simply keep writing for this chapter and keep moving forward. (Any excess will be recalculated into this goal and not counted as excess.)

Quest Three: Meditate for at least 10 minutes three times a week or at least 18 times.

My meditation buddy, Spockgrrl, got me back on here and I think it is wise to start over with meditation since I've fallen off that bandwagon. 10 minutes is a minimum for each meditation session, though I will likely build up beyond that over the course of the challenge. In order to make sure I am being honest, then, I've added the second parameter of 18 meditation sessions total. 

Life Quest: Wake up by 8AM each day and accomplish at least 50% of my set agenda for the day.

Updates will happen every weekend on this page and I'll revise a goggle doc to track my information and stay honest. (But unlike last time, I won't be tracking so many things at once, just the workouts, pages completed, and meditation sessions.)

It's good to be back.

*Dusts off the cobwebs*

• Like 3

- — Thister — -

Level 3, Cylon (Humanoid IntelliScout/Ranger)

STR 6 | DEX  7 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 4

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (Checking in most days, weekly updates)

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

Welcome back Thister! I'm glad to hear that things are going better for you and that you got to enjoy some quality time with your friends and family. That is so important, and it was so good that you took the time you needed to figure things out and take care of yourself. Love your goals, I know you are going to rock this challenge and I'll be here to cheer you on! tumblr_nembabwiMi1te5ruso1_400.gif

• Like 1

Level: 8   Race: Wood Elf   Class: Ranger at Heart -  Training with the Adventurers

Current Adventure: A New Hope

Past Challenges: 1st  âœ² 2nd âœ² 3rd ✲ 4th ✲ 5th âœ² 6th âœ² 7th  âœ² 8th âœ² 9th

“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams†- Eleventh Doctor

welcome back Thister.  I've had a look through your threads and I think you are definitely ready for a move to the Rangers.  You are of course more than welcome to stay with us, but if you'd like me to wave my magic wand and poof you over there let me know.

• Like 2

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thanks everyone! 

Blaidd, I think I'm more in line with the Assassins, but I haven't completed a full challenge, so I don't know. What do you think?

- — Thister — -

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

Thanks everyone! 

Blaidd, I think I'm more in line with the Assassins, but I haven't completed a full challenge, so I don't know. What do you think?

It's all your choice :D

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

So far so good this last week!

I did cross fit three times last week, but I think I may modify that goal to just working out in intervals three times a week. The CF club here at my gym isn't very welcoming, and while I like the workouts, I don't much care for their aloof attitudes when we are all trying to be healthier. We will see though!

Writing has been a bit of a struggle. I currently only have six pages, so I am a little behind on that goal. My friends, however, have sweetened the deal by offering me rewards for finishing most of the paper by this Friday. If I can hammer down 21 pages, then I get a video game for my 3DS XL. If I have less than 21 pages, though, I lose my 3DS XL. Hahah! How's that for motivation?

Meditation has been going exceptionally well. I was able to meditate for 10 minutes three times last week and I felt better. I would like to gradually increase the time and amount of my meditation, too. For now, though, 10 minutes is workable. It is short enough to break between writing and still helpful in allowing me to move forward with my work.

My life quest has been hit or miss. Right now I'd say that I'm fulfilling it about 60% of the time. I think I need to get multiple alarm clocks or just get some sense knocked into me. Haha! I just hate getting out of bed on cold days, I guess. I think a better modification to this goal will be to wake before 8AM at least five days of the week.

Other than that, I'm moving forward! Onward!

• Like 3

- — Thister — -

It's all your choice :D

Do I just go on the assassin forum?

I've been away for so long that I kind of forget how some of these small things work. :P

- — Thister — -

So, I hear from ChristArtist that you'll be coming our way shortly!  Hi!  I've got a few Assassin-y resources for you!  Here's a link to the Assassins' Guild Info & Announcements thread. You can also feel free to pop into the Assassins' Den guild chat thread and get in on the fun.  Everyone's friendly and glad to answer questions - or spam your inbox with gifs, either or, really.  Definitely introduce yourself there and get to know everyone!  The Assassin Phonebook is another great resource where you can find guild members whose interests might match your own.  Feel free to message or follow these people for assistance and inspiration!

Once you've been moved, you'll want to complete the Assassin sign-ups (they're linked in the guild info!) and potentially get in on the guild mini challenges.  We do a lot of collaborative stuff, and have loads of fun. ^_^

And, of course, the Ambassadors are always here to help!  Feel free to message me or any of my colleagues if you need anything anytime!

• Like 3

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Hey Thister! Great job so far.

I see that you're having some trouble getting things down on paper. I don't know much about how your process works for writing, but for me, I have a hard time keeping myself in a focused and calm mindset. I found an article that I am mostly linking because it recommends OmmWriter and a couple of other tools which I have found very useful in the past: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2099744/the-zen-productivity-guide-tools-and-tips-for-distraction-free-work.html 

It's good to kick yourself in the butt to keep yourself on schedule, but not if your own thought patterns become a source of stress. Remember to be gentle with yourself, but not indulgent, and let that mind of yours do its thing :)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Spockgrrl

Level 2 - Amazon - Aspiring Ranger

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 5|CHA 4

"The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

Twitter | Instagram | Goodreads | MyFitnessPal

So, I hear from ChristArtist that you'll be coming our way shortly!  Hi!  I've got a few Assassin-y resources for you!  Here's a link to the Assassins' Guild Info & Announcements thread. You can also feel free to pop into the Assassins' Den guild chat thread and get in on the fun.  Everyone's friendly and glad to answer questions - or spam your inbox with gifs, either or, really.  Definitely introduce yourself there and get to know everyone!  The Assassin Phonebook is another great resource where you can find guild members whose interests might match your own.  Feel free to message or follow these people for assistance and inspiration!

Once you've been moved, you'll want to complete the Assassin sign-ups (they're linked in the guild info!) and potentially get in on the guild mini challenges.  We do a lot of collaborative stuff, and have loads of fun. ^_^

And, of course, the Ambassadors are always here to help!  Feel free to message me or any of my colleagues if you need anything anytime!

Thanks Maaya! I think I did everything properly. Hopefully I'm on my way now.

Can I still complete the mini challenge? XD I feel like the special child in the room here. 

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

Thanks spockgrrl! I'm going to read the link and check out Ommwriter tomorrow afternoon. Maybe that will help.

I was able to get a page done today. Part of my problem is that I write/revise at the same time. I really need to get out of this habit, but it's hard to do sometimes because when I type up part of my papers I can almost hear my advisor's voice in my head about something I've just written. It's silly, but this is how the process has been ever since he brutally admonished me for my "poor writing." 

I think that's why the meditation breaks help when I am writing, though. They help recalibrate my thought processes, at least momentarily, allowing me to come back a bit refreshed. I also take 15-20 minutes breaks after writing for 1.5 to 2 hours. It's about balance, for sure.

Outside of all this, I've got an interview with the Red Cross for a volunteer position tomorrow, err today (I'm up late, obvi). I'm excited about it, but I still have to write and workout tomorrow. Busy, busy day!

At least I KILLED it at the gym tonight: 35 minutes cycling (~545 calories), 15 minutes on the stairmaster (~160 calories), 20 minutes of running (~280 calories), and 25 minutes of walking (~130 calories). 

Imma be sore tomorrow.  :nightmare:

• Like 2

- — Thister — -

You've been spotted!

And. ..i hope the interview goes well!

Thank you so much CA! :)

The interview went very well. I'll be doing a lot of web design, social media, and digital media production stuff soon. Great experience to help diversify my job prospects post-grad school. 

Killed it at the gym tonight, too! About 1500~ kcals! I did a similar routine to above, so I'm still rocking my gym sessions, even without CF. Since I'm a member of the NF Academy, I'm just going to do the workouts, by level, from there instead. In some ways it's a shame because I really liked the CF workouts, but the people were so unwelcoming. I may go back in the spring, but I'm not going to waste $70+/mo. to feel like an outsider in what amounts to a more directed group fitness class. 

I'm off to a conference this weekend. I leave tomorrow morning, but I am bringing all my running gear! Yes, it is in my backpack. Shoes. Polar Monitor. Clothes. All of it. I'm not letting go this time!

Also, not sure if you all can see my LoseIt (which is where I keep track of everything), but if you can, it is here.

• Like 2

- — Thister — -

Thanks Maaya! I think I did everything properly. Hopefully I'm on my way now.

Can I still complete the mini challenge? XD I feel like the special child in the room here. 

I would think you're welcome and encouraged to do the Assassin minis now that you're here!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I would think you're welcome and encouraged to do the Assassin minis now that you're here!

Great! I'll do the first one this week and attempt to do the second one this weekend, probably on Sunday, to catch up.

I'm digging the scoundrel talk on the board. I need to meme-ify things, I suppose! Hahaha!

- — Thister — -

Tomorrow marks the first big battle toward my Main Quest: I'm meeting with my advisor to discuss my dissertation, my insecurities with it, and potentially quitting.

I haven't spoken to my advisor much since I moved out West away from my grad program. I developed a clear plan of communication and a schedule, which I gave to him before I left, but I didn't stick to it. At all.

Part of me thought that my advisor might email me to check in on me at least once, though. He never did. It was odd and a bit disappointing, but I assumed that he expected me to take on the burden of communicating. To me, it seems unbalanced and unfair that I am the one doing most of the communicating, but it is what I've come to expect from my advisor over the last four years of knowing him. So, maybe my lack of communication was a sort of test to see if things would be different after I moved away. I'm not sure.

Battling the negative feelings I have felt since I started my PhD (due to comments from various professors) and dealing with my advisor are the two major demons I've had to contend with as I've struggled to finish my dissertation. The former has shaped most of my experiences in the program because prior to my PhD program I was a big fish in a small pond. The professors in my undergrad and master's program knew me well, thought highly of my work, and encouraged me to go as far as I could. The professors in my PhD program, though, have been almost the antithesis of my previous experiences. Most are too busy to care about their advisees, and some are even threatened by them. One told me, after a rather odd altercation regarding non-advising issues related to the program, that I should "Think about what I was doing in the program because maybe [i didn't] belong." For someone who has been so invested in academics, that was quite a blow to my self-concept and self-esteem.

Naturally, it has been hard to feel good about myself and my work in the program. Very few professors are supportive or concerned about you as a student. I originally chose my advisor because I felt that he would be the best person to work with given our research interests, but now that I'm ABD (All But Dissertation), I sometimes regret that decision. I had an inkling that he wouldn't be as supportive an advisor because he sometimes communicates awkwardly, but I thought that his communication patterns would change over time as we got to know each other and as my project developed. That didn't happen, though. Most of our communication has been awkward or veiled. Sometimes he's brutally honest, other times he is vague. I, in turn, have communicated in code with him. In fact, before I left my program to head out West and work on my dissertation at a distance, I never told him I had seriously thought about quitting after my comprehensive exam defense. Maybe I should have, though?

Tomorrow he and I are meeting. It's a necessary meeting, but part of me fears how honest I will be because I've developed a stronger sense of self since I moved away. I've been meditating to prepare myself, and I even developed a list of questions to talk to my advisor about, but part of me worries about how it will go. I'm not being a worry-wort, though, so much as I am trying to contend with my goals for myself and my hopes for my future. I think, really, what it all boils down to is that I need him to be more supportive of me and to push me at times or else I need to leave and find a new path. I haven't been happy much in my life over the last five years, but I am certain that, for once, I am more headstrong about myself. I just need to make that clearer to him.

Wish me luck.

• Like 3

- — Thister — -

Great! I'll do the first one this week and attempt to do the second one this weekend, probably on Sunday, to catch up.

I'm digging the scoundrel talk on the board. I need to meme-ify things, I suppose! Hahaha!

Well, the week 1 mini is closed already, but you can get in on the week 2 fun!

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

Week Two was good!

Successes

Wicked Workouts: I worked out four times, doing mostly interval workouts. Lots of running, cycling, stair stepping, and weights. Overall, I burned 4,700 calories for the week. Not too shabby. Overall, I'm killing it on the workouts.

Mellowing Out: Meditation was also great last week. I meditated 5 times last week for about 20 minutes each session. It was great. In fact, I think my meditation sessions helped me out a lot when I talked with my advisor.

Wide Eyed and Awake: I also woke everyday except Sunday before 8AM. Being away at the conference made this easier, so I guess I can thank the conference for something. :tongue:

Overall, not bad!

yess.gif

Works in Progress

Paper Perils: I've still been slow with writing my paper. This week was a little slow because of the conference, reconnecting with people from my department, and being away in another state and enjoying the downtime. I'm a little closer to halfway done with the paper, but I've still got a about 10-15 pages to go by December 1st. 

hmm.gif

Climbing the Mountain of Confidence: My meeting with my advisor went well, better than I expected actually. We talked about my lack of progress on the dissertation due in part to my mixed feelings about my committee, being depressed about the dissertation process, feeling a little down since I moved out West and in with my parents, and moving ahead and job prospects. (Lots of stuff, eh?) My advisor wasn't as emotionally reassuring as I wish he would be (like my master's advisor), but he did allay many of my concerns and he did make me feel better about my dissertation and options for making things work with my committee. We even explored the possibility of removing/changing out one of my committee members, which I feel has been a route cause of my uncertainty and depression about my dissertation.

In particular, we talked about finding the spark that initially got me motivated my dissertation. We discussed writing both a dissertation outline (again, but with more focus) and an identity statement (i.e., a more personal research statement about the work I do and the kind of program(s) I want to be in, if I stay in the academy). These will be due on December 24th, many days after my initial paper deadline. 

After speaking with my advisor, I met with one of my favorite professors in the program that we recently hired. She's a newer professor who recently graduated with her PhD last year, so she is more aware of the struggles I'm going through as a grad student in the throes of a dissertation. She listened to the advice I retold her that I received from Ken and she reaffirmed it, challenged some of it, and provided more emotional support. She, too, encouraged me to find my spark. She told me, although she is a newer professor in our program, that she has heard that I am a great teacher and that I actually do have unique research interests that make me better qualified than I think. "It would be a shame for you to give up because you have some asshole on your committee or because you have such a deflated ego that you think you cannot go on," she said. "If something isn't working out on the committee, figure out how you can change it, because you can. Remember, too, that you've come so far. Sure, it isn't almost done, because where you are with your dissertation is like being at a halfway point in a marathon, but you are getting closer and closer to that finish line. So, don't give up!"

I admit that I'm still skeptical about a job in the academy after all the hell I've been through for the past five years of my life, but I can say that both my advisor and this professor helped cheer me up enough to push on. I know I've got a tough climb ahead of me and I know that I've got to put the time in to make my way up this mountain, but each step of the way doesn't have to be hampered by my insecurities to the point that I become debilitated. I have support; people believe in me. I have options; I can change things to make it work out for me. The only missing pieces are that I have to believe more in myself, find myself again in my research, not worry so much about what others may think, and finally have the courage to go as far as I possibly can.

The PhD process has been a difficult journey with so many tough moments and very little rewards, and I've had a rough go with all of it for so long, but I think I have the motivation in me now to rekindle the fire that got me this far. I've got to find that spark first, though, before I can set my world ablaze again.

58711-game-of-thrones-baby-dragon-fi-Tsu

• Like 2

- — Thister — -

Week Two was good!

Successes

Wicked Workouts: I worked out four times, doing mostly interval workouts. Lots of running, cycling, stair stepping, and weights. Overall, I burned 4,700 calories for the week. Not too shabby. Overall, I'm killing it on the workouts.

Mellowing Out: Meditation was also great last week. I meditated 5 times last week for about 20 minutes each session. It was great. In fact, I think my meditation sessions helped me out a lot when I talked with my advisor.

Wide Eyed and Awake: I also woke everyday except Sunday before 8AM. Being away at the conference made this easier, so I guess I can thank the conference for something. :tongue:

Overall, not bad!

yess.gif

Works in Progress

Paper Perils: I've still been slow with writing my paper. This week was a little slow because of the conference, reconnecting with people from my department, and being away in another state and enjoying the downtime. I'm a little closer to halfway done with the paper, but I've still got a about 10-15 pages to go by December 1st. 

hmm.gif

Climbing the Mountain of Confidence: My meeting with my advisor went well, better than I expected actually. We talked about my lack of progress on the dissertation due in part to my mixed feelings about my committee, being depressed about the dissertation process, feeling a little down since I moved out West and in with my parents, and moving ahead and job prospects. (Lots of stuff, eh?) My advisor wasn't as emotionally reassuring as I wish he would be (like my master's advisor), but he did allay many of my concerns and he did make me feel better about my dissertation and options for making things work with my committee. We even explored the possibility of removing/changing out one of my committee members, which I feel has been a route cause of my uncertainty and depression about my dissertation.

In particular, we talked about finding the spark that initially got me motivated my dissertation. We discussed writing both a dissertation outline (again, but with more focus) and an identity statement (i.e., a more personal research statement about the work I do and the kind of program(s) I want to be in, if I stay in the academy). These will be due on December 24th, many days after my initial paper deadline. 

After speaking with my advisor, I met with one of my favorite professors in the program that we recently hired. She's a newer professor who recently graduated with her PhD last year, so she is more aware of the struggles I'm going through as a grad student in the throes of a dissertation. She listened to the advice I retold her that I received from Ken and she reaffirmed it, challenged some of it, and provided more emotional support. She, too, encouraged me to find my spark. She told me, although she is a newer professor in our program, that she has heard that I am a great teacher and that I actually do have unique research interests that make me better qualified than I think. "It would be a shame for you to give up because you have some asshole on your committee or because you have such a deflated ego that you think you cannot go on," she said. "If something isn't working out on the committee, figure out how you can change it, because you can. Remember, too, that you've come so far. Sure, it isn't almost done, because where you are with your dissertation is like being at a halfway point in a marathon, but you are getting closer and closer to that finish line. So, don't give up!"

I admit that I'm still skeptical about a job in the academy after all the hell I've been through for the past five years of my life, but I can say that both my advisor and this professor helped cheer me up enough to push on. I know I've got a tough climb ahead of me and I know that I've got to put the time in to make my way up this mountain, but each step of the way doesn't have to be hampered by my insecurities to the point that I become debilitated. I have support; people believe in me. I have options; I can change things to make it work out for me. The only missing pieces are that I have to believe more in myself, find myself again in my research, not worry so much about what others may think, and finally have the courage to go as far as I possibly can.

The PhD process has been a difficult journey with so many tough moments and very little rewards, and I've had a rough go with all of it for so long, but I think I have the motivation in me now to rekindle the fire that got me this far. I've got to find that spark first, though, before I can set my world ablaze again.

58711-game-of-thrones-baby-dragon-fi-Tsu

Hey Thister! You've inspired me today with your courage and dedication to keep going with your PhD . I have so much respect for you completing a PhD, it seems like a really tough emotional and mental haul. But look at you! Keeping going when things aren't so good, making decisions to shake things up like changing locations when things are already stressful, and storming the castle that is your dissertation.

And rocking your fitness goals on top of that? Amazing. Love your progress and thanks for the inspiration today! 

I promise to keep a better eye on how things are going, if you need another reviewing buddy let me know!! (especially if its a technical science subject). It's dangerous to storm your castle alone, I'll come along as your buddy!! 

startrek-dangerous-go-alone-redshirt-134

princess_bride_storming_the_castle_mouse

• Like 2

Level: 8   Race: Wood Elf   Class: Ranger at Heart -  Training with the Adventurers

Current Adventure: A New Hope

Past Challenges: 1st  âœ² 2nd âœ² 3rd ✲ 4th ✲ 5th âœ² 6th âœ² 7th  âœ² 8th âœ² 9th

“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams†- Eleventh Doctor

Hey Thister!  Long time no see!

It's great that your back, I recently came back myself from not completing my last challenge.  So hard to stick with stuff these days.

I didn't know you had moved to the West, hope the transition is ok.

Sorry to hear about the troubles with the dissertation.  I haven't gotten into my program yet because of the GRE but I can understand the stress.  Don't let the committee push you around, they are designed to be critical of your work.  Hold on to your motivations.  You can do it!

Soon we will live out our parkour dreams and get around any obstacle in our way! 

• Like 2

Scarlet Legend  lvl: 1

Psalms 18:32-36

Race: Hobbit /// Class: Assassin

| STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA  1 | CON  6 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Battle Log  ~~~  Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4

Main Quest:  Lose 30 Lbs.

10%
10%

Start: 172  Current: 169

Challenge #4

50%
50%

I'm killing it on cardio, and I'm loving the workouts, but I realize that I need to vary it up and integrate weights. Aside from the BBW, does anyone have recommendations? Otherwise this will be me:

come-at-me-bro-i-do-cardio2.jpg

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

Hey Thister!  Long time no see!

It's great that your back, I recently came back myself from not completing my last challenge.  So hard to stick with stuff these days.

I didn't know you had moved to the West, hope the transition is ok.

Sorry to hear about the troubles with the dissertation.  I haven't gotten into my program yet because of the GRE but I can understand the stress.  Don't let the committee push you around, they are designed to be critical of your work.  Hold on to your motivations.  You can do it!

Soon we will live out our parkour dreams and get around any obstacle in our way! 

Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah, I moved from the East to the West and the transition was rocky because, while I relished the time with my family, I neglected my workouts and fell victim to depression post-craziness of last year with the dissertation. 

I've been fighting the dissertation demon for so long that it's a wonder I'm still at it, really. I'm committed to pushing through and finishing strong though. Now, more than ever, I'm aware that so much more is at stake and that finishing by May to August is the best thing I can do for the sake of my advisor and for me. 

If you are studying for the GRE, I wish you well. I used the Barron's study guide and found it incredibly helpful. It's much better than Kaplan, in my opinion. 

Can't wait to get into parkour in the future. Apparently I need to work on building muscle before I wither away with cardio. SRSLY.

• Like 1

- — Thister — -