• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Steve

Steve the Troubadour Assassin Returns

Sing with a group on a lit stage - with the house lights down/off. You can't even tell that there are people out there unless they cough.

I've heard they sometimes clap or even cheer. If they only cough you're probably going to the wrong concerts.
  • Like 1

Forgot to post updates!  

I flew up to Boston this weekend to crash a Nerd Fitness meetup, celebrate my dad's birthday, visit my sister, and see some old friends.  I got in a workout on Friday, and another one this morning before grabbing lunch with my Gramma :)

8-day streak so far of meditation and handstands I believe...no violin up here in Boston but I've played a bit of piano and sung.

Back to Nashville on Wednesday, excited to get back into the routine :)

More full updates coming shortly!

-S

• Like 2

Meditation streak up to 9!

A1) Neutral grip pull-up

Perma-warm-up: 5xBW, 5x20lbs
  • Week three: 3x5x47.5 @8 *PR

A2) Weighted dips

Warm-up: 5xBW, 5x20 lbs
  • Week three: 3x5x55 @8 *PR
B1) Front lever hold

3 sets @ 6 seconds @6

B2) Planche hold

3 sets @ 6 seconds @7

C) Ring complex -
3 sets – @8

1. Muscle-up

2. Muscle-up

3. Hold ring support position for 10 seconds

4. Retract + depress for 10 seconds

D1) Reverse curls

12x20, 12x22.5, 8x25

D2) Ring rows

8, 8, 8

Still at home for one more day visiting family, my dad's birthday is tonight!
  • Like 3

What does your @x notation mean? 

For instance:

B1) Front lever hold

3 sets @ 6 seconds @6

That pretty clearly means 3 sets of 6 second holds, but what does the @6 mean? Intensity out of 10?

What does your @x notation mean? 

For instance:

B1) Front lever hold

3 sets @ 6 seconds @6

That pretty clearly means 3 sets of 6 second holds, but what does the @6 mean? Intensity out of 10?

Yeah, that's my RPE: rate of perceived exertion, aka "how tough was it for me to get through those sets/reps on a 1-10 scale?"

Just helps with future programming and future workouts to look back and see how I did the last time once I'm out of the 'moment'

• Like 3

Yeah, that's my RPE: rate of perceived exertion, aka "how tough was it for me to get through those sets/reps on a 1-10 scale?"

Just helps with future programming and future workouts to look back and see how I did the last time once I'm out of the 'moment'

I like that system. I must try this

• Like 2

Hey man, great to see you over the weekend! Glad you made it up.

This, this is a very good idea.

*STEAL*

• Like 1

Weight: 185.

Meditated, did handstands, and played violin!

11/20 Workout DAY B

A) Back squat

Warm-up: 10xbar, 5x95, 5x135
  • Week three: 5/4/4 x 185 @8

B1) Snatch grip romanian deadlift

Warm-up: 10xbar, 5x135
  • Week three: 3x8x185 @7

C1) Pistol squat-4 sets @ 2 reps per set w/ 3 second pause @ bottom  @10. failed on final pistol with right leg.

Hold a 10 pound weight at arm’s length if needed to help balance.

C2) L-Sit on parallel bars – 4 sets @ 10 seconds hold @9 - challenging but could have held for longer.

D) COMPLEX - 3 total sets

D1) Straddle compression leg lifts x 3 with a 1 second pause

D2) Straddle V-ups x 3 x 3-10

• Like 1

Had my 3rd voice lesson today. Sucked way less than I expected to.  The biggest challenge for me is to overcome the mental barrier or just going for it on certain notes, as after a few meek efforts, my teacher gets me to let go and sing the damn thing...and I actually hit it.

Today we worked on Avett Brothers some more, along with Eric Church's Springsteen.

Twelve days straight of mediation, and got to work on some handstands as well! BOOYAH.

-S

• Like 2

Spent last night messing around with the banjo and the guitar, played some violin. Good stuff!

TODAY'S WORKOUT

Signed up at a rock climbing gym down the street from me for a month, gonna see how i like working out there. They have a crossfit-type gym that is rarely used, and they have rings set up all over the place, so I'll probably go there once or twice a week so I don't have to deal with setting up and taking down my rings at the YMCA repeatedly.

A1) Overhead press
Perma-warm-up: 10xbar, 5x65, 5x85

• Week three: 5/5/4 x 130 * PR @8

A2) Dumbbell row

Do three sets, work in the 6-8 repetition range.RPE at 8.

3x8x75 @7 - they only have dumbbells that go up to 75!

B1) Front lever work

4 sets total

• 2 set @ 6 seconds, tucked hold. @7
  • 2 sets @ 1 negative, straddle hold @9 went super slow, felt great.

B2) Planche work

4 sets total

• 2 set @ 6 seconds, tucked hold. @7
  • 2 sets @ 3 reps tucked hold push-ups. @9

C) Ring complex x 3 @11 

1. Muscle-up

3. Ring dips x 3

4. Archer chins x 1 per side

5. Retract and depress x 10s 

Failed on first two muscle ups, really struggled on archers. Elbows are starting to become more of an issue.

Also, the new gym had composite rings compared to the wooden ones i’m used to, so that might have caused a problem as well?

Maybe I'll string up my wooden rings for this next time and see how it goes.

D1) Ring push-ups / flies

8, 8, 8 @9

D2) Reverse curls

12x 20, 10x25, 10x25 @8

• Like 1

RPE of 11? Is that like giving 110%?

47ffb15f0f9b2aa7b40d7d29a586e23f.jpg

lolol it means I failed on my attempts. If it was 10, it meant I had nothing left in the tank...i put 11 when i don't complete all sets and reps.

11/23/14 WORKOUT

Weight: 186 - most I’ve weighed since 2006.

Meditated: 15 day streak!

Handstands: 10 min practice

Nerd stuff:  Read 100 pages in Mistborn #2, and played about 2 hours of The Last of Us

A) Conventional deadlift

Perma-warm-up: 10xbar (RDL), 5x135, 5x185, 5x225, 3x245, 1x275
  • Week three: 1x330 @7 *PR

B1) Front squat

Perma-warm-up: 10xbar, 5x65, 5x95
  • Week three: 3x6x145 @8 *PR
C1) Bulgarian split squats
  • Week three: 3x8x20lbs 
C2) Middle split hold on parallel bars – 3 sets @ 6 seconds hold @8

D COMPLEX BELOW – 3 total sets

D1) Pike leg raises x 3 with a 1 second pause @7
D2) V-ups x 3-10 @10
8, 7, 6

E1) Calves, 3x20x50lbs – @ 8
  • Like 1

Another awesome workout. I love how consistent you've been with your handstand progress. Do you enjoy Mistborn? I really liked it. A good side benefit of these boards is all sorts of great nerd book ideas.

Another awesome workout. I love how consistent you've been with your handstand progress. Do you enjoy Mistborn? I really liked it. A good side benefit of these boards is all sorts of great nerd book ideas.

I am! Books start off a bit slow, but by the time I get a few chapters in it gets more and more addicting. 50% of the way through Book #2 and I'm struggling to put it down and get actual work done!

After Mistborn, it's time to finish up the Silo Series (I've read WOOL and loved it)

[Workout Stuff]

Nerd stuff:  Read 100 pages in Mistborn #2, and played about 2 hours of The Last of Us

[More workout stuff]

Those nerds things are among the best nerd things. I have played Last of Us and the DLC but keep pestering RisenPhoenix to get a PS4 so I can play it again.

I am! Books start off a bit slow, but by the time I get a few chapters in it gets more and more addicting. 50% of the way through Book #2 and I'm struggling to put it down and get actual work done!

After Mistborn, it's time to finish up the Silo Series (I've read WOOL and loved it)

Book 3 also starts slow, but holy crap does it pay off! Just ask RP, he recently read them (and his "mind blown" reaction was priceless). At first it's all

then slowly becomes [more spoiler] then, by the end [HOLY SPOILERSAUCE BATMAN].

Don't miss Alloy of Law as well. It's a sequel to the original trilogy that takes place 300 years later. Has a fairly different feel, but also good.

Also this. It's a really fun book that, still using the magic system, has some fun twists on the usage of it and has a lighter feel to it. It's a nice chaser to the mind-blowingness of Hero of Ages.

Hi Steve,

I was wondering how you go about programming your lower body work? I'm currently doing GMB's Rings One for my upper body but am a bit unsure how to properly schedule my leg days.

I squat, deadlift and do some unilateral work but can't seem to find any good leg only program to follow. Any suggestions would be highly welcome!

Many thanks

alex

Took Monday off and planned on working out Tuesday.

Woke up Tuesday feeling like there was a brick in my stomach, and spent most of the day curled up in a ball on the couch, and then got super achey (I'm thinking flu or cold?).  Only left the couch once to go to voice lessons: started working on Difference Maker. I'm not a religious dude by any means, I just happen to love their stuff (favorite band in the country right now), and have a total mancrush on Bear's voice - that dude's vocals can fill a stadium.

So, the day turned into an impromptu 24 hour fast (didn't eat all day until dinner), but drank lots of fluids...got plenty of sleep last night, and woke up this morning with the aches gone and just a bit of a sore throat. Hopefully tomorrow I feel even better.

Felt good enough to get back to the gym.  Day 17 streak on the meditation and going strong. 

The bodyweight stuff is getting tougher and tougher, but I have to remind myself that in addition to adding reps and weight...I've also added 15 pounds to my frame which isn't making things easier.  Took more photos and compared them to myself at 171. Some extra weight around my midsection but for a guy that has struggled to gain weight and build muscle for a decade, I'm more than okay with it. I know a few small adjustments on non workout days can get my body fat back down to 10% in a few weeks if necessary.

One step closer to becoming Captain America!~ 

Weight: 186

A1) Neutral grip pull-up
Perma-warm-up: 5xBW, 5x20lbs
  • Week four: 3x6x+47.5 @10.5 *PR
only got 5.5 reps on final set.

A2) Weighted dips

Warm-up: 5xBW, 5x20 lbs
  • Week four: 3x6x+55 @9  *PR
B1) Front lever hold

3 sets @ 6 seconds @8

B2) Planche hold

3 sets @ 6 seconds @8

C) Ring complex - @10

3 sets –

1. Muscle-up

2. Muscle-up

3. Hold ring support position for 10 seconds
4. Retract + depress for 10 seconds

failed on set two for muscle ups, so did again, just with one muscle up then held ring support and retract/depress/etc.

D1) Reverse curls

12x25, 12x25, 8x30s

D2) Ring rows
Do 3 sets of as many reps as possible. RPE around 8-9.

8, 8, 8

Hi Steve,

I was wondering how you go about programming your lower body work? I'm currently doing GMB's Rings One for my upper body but am a bit unsure how to properly schedule my leg days.

I squat, deadlift and do some unilateral work but can't seem to find any good leg only program to follow. Any suggestions would be highly welcome!

Many thanks

alex

hey Alex

I do two upper body days and two lower body days each week. 

One lower body day is heavy squats (working up to 3 sets of 5), followed by lighter romanian deadlifts, then pistol squats.

The other lower body day is heavy deadlifts (working up to 1 heavy set), followed by lighter front squats, then bulgarian split squats.

This is programming given to me by my friend Anthony Mychal, who i've been working with since the beginning of the year.

TL:DR - do two lower body days. heavy squats on one day, heavy deadlifts on the other :)

• Like 2