• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TennisGeek

TennisGeek's game planning

It's clear that I suck at sticking to the regimen, and "motivation" sucks.

I need to make things more automatic because I don't love any of work outs, diets, etc.

Things I love - playing tennis, riding bike, eating good food, cooking relatively healthy, I have no problem with that.

As a result, my body stays the same (pretty healthy), and not much of "maintenance" like crazy diet or exercise needed.

Just auto-pilot the food and regular exercise and my body stays at 165lb with 18% body fat.

The question is, how to develop the good habits that stick.

I'm not going to say "I'm going to this for the challenge" any more.

Trying to motivate myself does not work. Motivation always burns out and the result is that it's a waste of time.

Well, I tried a few things and some did work, like cooking more often and cooking healthy.

These worked because these are concrete actions. Also, when it's too much, I get demotivated doing things.

So, instead, I'm going to do some game plan for something healthy that sticks.

Right now, I don't have a plan.

The goal of this challenge is to come up with plans and implement.

# Sorry that this is going to be probably most boring thread in the NF challenge.

• Like 3

Yay! Absolutely subbing for the most boring thread ever.

Just kidding...I don't think it will be boring. Nothing wrong with trying to figure things out. Do you have some ideas about things you might try (probably). If you want to brainstorm a bit, you could of course try it here, or even on the general chatter thread.

I'm a lot like you (although with slightly different numbers). My weight has been within the same 10 lb range for the last 20 years (and fluctuates by at least 5 lbs within a month or even a week). My body fat has been within 1% for the past year I've been writing it down. I'm trying to figure out what I could do to move it down just a little bit this challenge...but I'm not quite sure what to try.

Anyway, sorry if I rambled too much, but I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Yay! Absolutely subbing for the most boring thread ever.

Just kidding...I don't think it will be boring. Nothing wrong with trying to figure things out. Do you have some ideas about things you might try (probably). If you want to brainstorm a bit, you could of course try it here, or even on the general chatter thread.

I'm a lot like you (although with slightly different numbers). My weight has been within the same 10 lb range for the last 20 years (and fluctuates by at least 5 lbs within a month or even a week). My body fat has been within 1% for the past year I've been writing it down. I'm trying to figure out what I could do to move it down just a little bit this challenge...but I'm not quite sure what to try.

Anyway, sorry if I rambled too much, but I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

There are some individuals who can do heroic act and get a great achievement, like getting really strong and dropping a lot of weight.

I'm a wimp. I cannot get up 6am and go to gym every morming.

I don't need to drop a lot of weight. I lost 25lbs (190 to 165) and that's already enough for the purpose of being healthy.

My significant other thinks that I'm crazy and anorexic wanting to lose even more.

I don't think the things that way. I think I can do better, and wanting to do better is a good thing. But so far, I cannot find a way - workouts that sticks.

I was somewhat successful using exercise parks in summer time. It was convenient. It was on the bike commute route.

Now, it's too cold and my wimpiness kicks in. I don't bike-commute so it's not convenient anymore.

I understand myself (lazy and wimp for most part) so to play tennis as much as possible, I go to a tennis club that calls you to come in to play tennis, and also costs the same regardless of how many times I play - so more tennis makes sense.

I signed up to one tennis league, and I am about to start playing in the second one. Obligation to play and opportunities push me to play more, and I obviouly love tennis.

I did PLP, and went up to 45. If I continued another two weeks, I may have done nearly 60, and done.

I am not keeping it up. I think the idea of 50 pulls ups is too much. OTOH, If I put in enough time, I know I can do it.

It's about discovery of what works. I need to do something similar for working out. I'm looking around in meetup.com. Maybe I should use NF to find a workout buddy.

It has to be realistic, wimp-friendly. :P

• Like 4

I like that line. ..it's about discovery of what works.

You have inspired my woth your tennis and great cooking....maybe you should find out your "why" for workout.

I'm leaving for boston today...and I'm scared of the cold! I know what you mean about it hindering your bike rides!

Why? To maintain? A spin class? To maintain leg strength? A workout for your legs? To build your tennis muscles?

What about a movement program? Classes?

Idk...I'm a wimp because of pain. ..I'm afraid, which males me lazy, and lazy leads to bad food for me. Your good food has given me ideas. ..and taken away some of my food lazies.

Find your why...then it may help you find your what and how!

Subbed btw. Never bored, I was just quiet last challenge.

• Like 1

Hey TG! :cheerful:

So glad to see you back, boring or not. ;)

And I completely agree that there has to be something beyond the motivation. Still working on that one myself. :)

And this.................

BTW, I will do a random act of kindness before the end of challege.

I'll report when I do but not going to say what it is.

THAT is what makes you so awesome. That is such a nice goal in and of itself.

Hope you find those things that work for you and I am definitely sub'd and lurking! Big hugs!

• Like 1

The night before yesterday morning, I played full 2 hours of tennis, and the whole body was exhausted.

Yesterday morning, I tried to do a few pull ups, and I could not do any. Even the 10 push ups were difficult.

This morning, I tried a few pull ups, and I did 4, 5 without problem.

So, this is the major reason that I'm reluctant to working out. I don't want to be tired playing tennis.

Tennis is a cardio exercise but unlike running or cycling, it uses whole body.

At the end of 2 hour tennis, my left leg/hip was so tired that I could not push off to my right.

I need more strength in lower body, core, and pretty much whole body.

But, how to do the workout without causing a lot of fatigue for tennis remains a major question.

• Like 2

I have the same problem with running. Haven't figured it out yet. When I'm running a lot, I find it really hard to make myself to do squats or lunges because they tire out my legs.

One idea would be to work on any muscle imbalances or flexibility issues. Distance running is different from tennis, not much side-to-side motion, so our hips tend to be weak, for example. I'm not sure what would be comparable in tennis.

Another idea would be just to try to find another active thing to do that you enjoy, whether it helps your tennis or not. Just doing a different activity is sometimes good. Maybe try something different...ice skating, climbing gym, kettlebells? ChristArtist had some good suggestions too. Meetup was also a good idea...you could try some group fitness things for sure.

• Like 2

I have the same problem with running. Haven't figured it out yet. When I'm running a lot, I find it really hard to make myself to do squats or lunges because they tire out my legs.

One idea would be to work on any muscle imbalances or flexibility issues. Distance running is different from tennis, not much side-to-side motion, so our hips tend to be weak, for example. I'm not sure what would be comparable in tennis.

Another idea would be just to try to find another active thing to do that you enjoy, whether it helps your tennis or not. Just doing a different activity is sometimes good. Maybe try something different...ice skating, climbing gym, kettlebells? ChristArtist had some good suggestions too. Meetup was also a good idea...you could try some group fitness things for sure.

When I was training over summer, I focused on upper body. When I cannot run, it's hard to play tennis.

So, I often skipped lower body. I did dips, push and pull ups, core exercises.

As the basement under construction, I want a gym badly.

• Like 3

Working the core is always a good bet! Have you tried any of the progressive programs, like the 30 day ab challenge? I did this one earlier in the year. I didn't love it, but it was helpful in that it gave me a goal. Felt like I was working toward something rather than just doing endless core exercises.

If you picked something along these lines, you could almost certainly find someone on the forum to do it with you and help keep you accountable.

With the basement still under construction, I cannot use my weights in the basement.

I am going to a nearest gym.

I pay a big chunk already to the tennis club, but I cannot wait.

I paid up a year of membership for my wife but she hasn't stepped in the gym for at least half a year, so I think we are going to try to let me use the gym membership for the remaining of this year.

The nearest gym is not a bad gym (it's not WoW or Planet Fitness) but they don't have a good set of free weights, or power rack. At least, I can use dumbbells, pull up station and cable machines.

• Like 2

Working the core is always a good bet! Have you tried any of the progressive programs, like the 30 day ab challenge? I did this one earlier in the year. I didn't love it, but it was helpful in that it gave me a goal. Felt like I was working toward something rather than just doing endless core exercises.

If you picked something along these lines, you could almost certainly find someone on the forum to do it with you and help keep you accountable.

I use Runtastic Six Pack, an iPad app.

It's a decent program and progression is hard for me.

I used to do it in the basement but I cannot use the basement at the moment, and outside is too cold in New England.

• Like 2

Yesterday, I went to a court house for appealing the traffic citation of not stopping for peds in xwalk, and I managed to convince that I didn't do anything wrong.

Long story short, I was too busy trying to not hit the SUV in front of me trying to park on a parking spot on the right side so I didn't have time to see the far left.

So, that was good.

OTOH, my tennis sucked so bad that this morning, I was in bad mood last night and still in bad mood.

So what that to do with food/exercise?

I had a shot and even ate a somewhat stale croissant after coming home from tennis.

That was stupid of me.

I'm not going to do that again.

• Like 3

I somehow missed your thread this time around!  I think I had checked out for vacation already by the time you posted it.

Anyway

HI

Glad to see you around this challenge :)

Also that's great (annoying situation but great outcome) that you got out of that ticket. Sorry you had not-so-great tennis this morning, at least you did it!

It's clear that I suck at sticking to the regimen, and "motivation" sucks.

I need to make things more automatic because I don't love any of work outs, diets, etc.

The question is, how to develop the good habits that stick.

I'm not going to say "I'm going to this for the challenge" any more.

Trying to motivate myself does not work. Motivation always burns out and the result is that it's a waste of time.

Well, I tried a few things and some did work, like cooking more often and cooking healthy.

These worked because these are concrete actions. Also, when it's too much, I get demotivated doing things.

So, instead, I'm going to do some game plan for something healthy that sticks.

Right now, I don't have a plan.

The goal of this challenge is to come up with plans and implement.

Have you read the Power of Habit? I'm 3/4 through it right now and it's re-framing my thoughts on how to replace habits and routines we don't like with the ones we want. 

No basement with weights? air squats in large volume, or pistol squats in small numbers. Lots of warrior 1/2 in yoga... It works :)

Sounds like a rough morning, but you got this!! Carpe diem! 

• Like 2

Have you read the Power of Habit? I'm 3/4 through it right now and it's re-framing my thoughts on how to replace habits and routines we don't like with the ones we want. 

No basement with weights? air squats in large volume, or pistol squats in small numbers. Lots of warrior 1/2 in yoga... It works :)

Sounds like a rough morning, but you got this!! Carpe diem! 

I re-started from something small. I now regularly do push ups in the office.

I'm adding some lunges. I added a few pull ups after tennis.

I am prob. going to gym soon. Lookin' forward to it.

• Like 1

So, I went to the gym that my wife used to go. I took over the membership since she admitted that she is not going back.

The gym has no power rack. I cannot do back squat. Only barbell they have is for bench press.

It's a local gym - it is like a Planet Fitness.

I didn't like the machines remove assisted pull up/dip station, cable machine and hip extension machine.

The hip extension machine is like you do like a plank and there is a kick plate behind your feet so you kick it up.

This actually works a lot of back/core as well as hip and leg muscles. 

I love the assisted pull up/dip station. Set the assist to 60lb and it's a good warm up. 

They have at least dumbbells so at least much better than my basement situation.

I have to come up with the exercise routine and schedule.

Have you tried goblet squats?

Any chance they have a bosu (I didn't see one in the picture, but maybe it's hiding)? Bosu squats work stability too, so I think they might be great for tennis.

• Like 1

Have you tried goblet squats?

Any chance they have a bosu (I didn't see one in the picture, but maybe it's hiding)? Bosu squats work stability too, so I think they might be great for tennis.

Last night, I went to the gym 2nd time, and used primary dumbbells.

Bosu is there, along with some medicine balls. I will try next time.

I bought a book called "Tennis Training". In it, there is a chapter (chapter 8 to be exact) for strength training for tennis.

Other than some plyometric exercises, it's not particularly different from strength training.

Squats, bench press, press, front/side DB raise, etc.

Last week after the gym, I had a lot of DOMS everywhere.

I dialed it down last night so I have some DOMS but not as bad - so I can play tennis tonight.

The fact is, I can barely do 120lb bench press. I have to use 60lb assist to pull up 10 times.

(Love the pull up assist machine.)

I have a long way to go.

I'm evaluating/trying a few gym apps on iPhone, and so far, I cannot decide. On iPad, I had a couple of apps I like but I don't want to bring iPad to the gym.

On iPhone, with smaller screen, I'm having hard time to setup the exercise program.

This sounds great! You are figuring out a good program and will find something that works for you and complements the tennis.

@wildross found an app for gym stuff. ..I'll try to find out what it is.

I'm wanting to startv some weights. .6 weeks out from neck surgery, counter pushups feel good...i have permission, I just get scared. The thought of a pull up, or handstand is frightening!

It's all in our mind!

You can do this!

• Like 1