• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TennisGeek

TennisGeek's game planning

@wildross found an app for gym stuff. ..I'll try to find out what it is.

I'm wanting to startv some weights. .6 weeks out from neck surgery, counter pushups feel good...i have permission, I just get scared. The thought of a pull up, or handstand is frightening!

It's all in our mind!

You can do this!

Isn't it map my fitness? I see posts from him when he's completed workouts using that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't it map my fitness? I see posts from him when he's completed workouts using that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it's another one. ..he was using map my fitness...which is a free app that may help!

After trying out a few apps, I settled on "Full Fitness". I have an iPad version of it so I was resisting to buy the iPhone version.

I gave in and bought it and it makes most sense to me.

It has a preset for tennis workout, and I used it as a template.

Here is the workouts for now.

Day 1

DB shoulder press

DB lunge

DB goblet squat

DB romanian deadlift

Pullup

Core - ab crunch on a ball

Day 2

DB front squat

Bar upright row

Bench press

DB pull over

Cable cross over

Core - hanging knee raise

Day 3

Chinup

DB flye

Cable torso rotation

DB lateral raise

DB front raise

Core - bosu russian twist

I was thinking to do day 2 tonight but I already signed up to play tennis tonight. So, most likely, I have to trim this down to Day 1 and 2, as I'm unlikely to go to gym 3 times a week.

BTW, last time I was at the gym, I used a rowing machine thinking it might be a good full body exercise. Unlike other cardio machines, it uses legs, core and arms. I set it to the highest resistance and did it for like 7 minutes. The meter shows that I can burn 800 cals / hour or so.

It bored me to death. If I'm doing cardio work, it has to be something like hitting tennis ball or feeling wind like cycling.

I'm too ADD to stick with stationary machines.

After trying out a few apps, I settled on "Full Fitness". I have an iPad version of it so I was resisting to buy the iPhone version.

I gave in and bought it and it makes most sense to me.

It has a preset for tennis workout, and I used it as a template.

Here is the workouts for now.

Day 1

DB shoulder press

DB lunge

DB goblet squat

DB romanian deadlift

Pullup

Core - ab crunch on a ball

Day 2

DB front squat

Bar upright row

Bench press

DB pull over

Cable cross over

Core - hanging knee raise

Day 3

Chinup

DB flye

Cable torso rotation

DB lateral raise

DB front raise

Core - bosu russian twist

I was thinking to do day 2 tonight but I already signed up to play tennis tonight. So, most likely, I have to trim this down to Day 1 and 2, as I'm unlikely to go to gym 3 times a week.

BTW, last time I was at the gym, I used a rowing machine thinking it might be a good full body exercise. Unlike other cardio machines, it uses legs, core and arms. I set it to the highest resistance and did it for like 7 minutes. The meter shows that I can burn 800 cals / hour or so.

It bored me to death. If I'm doing cardio work, it has to be something like hitting tennis ball or feeling wind like cycling.

I'm too ADD to stick with stationary machines.

Podcasts are my rowing friend. And the app I found is called fitnotes

Podcasts are my rowing friend. And the app I found is called fitnotes

Thanks. I'll stick with Full Fitness.

Yesterday, I did go to gym, and this is what I did. I got in 9pm and the gym closes at 10, so it's about an hour.

It's 3x8 by default, with some warm ups (dynamic stretch, medicine ball throws, squats, DB one arm rows).

DB shoulder press

DB lunge

Assisted pull-up

Bench press

DB flye

Hanging knee raise

DB romanian deadlift

Crunch on the machine*

I have some DOMS from lunges and presses.

I really wanted to do the seated rows, so I may add the DB bent over rows.

So, that leaves squats, upright row, DB pull over, cable crossover, chin up, cable torso rotation, DB lateral raise + some core exercises.

I think what I should do is to ditch all of core exercises because I can do it outside of gym, and focus on weights, assisted pullups and cable machine.

With that, I can be done with 2 gym visits/week, max of 2 hours.

Pulling cable side way is a good exercise for tennis. It's hard to replicate with free weights. So, the cable machine works for me.

I can do core exercise easily outside of gym, and probably I should do it after playing tennis.

* I was curious to use the machine but not going to use it, I think.)

• Like 1

Sounds like a good plan. Once you get into a routine, I really think you might like doing some squats on the bosu. I'm a distance runner, and I like the bosu squats because they don't just work the big muscles but also force you to use the stabilizers. I think it might translate really well to tennis. You could start with them unweighted, but after a while, no reason you couldn't add weight if you wanted.

I am still having DOMS from last Thursday. Saturday, I played total of 3.5 hours of tennis.

Saturday night, my legs/hips were hurting and painful to go to sleep.

Sunday, I was over exhausted that I sat on couch all Sunday, falling asleep a little.

I don't remember not doing anything on weekend day.

I'm planning to go back to gym tonight for the "day 2". I'll try BOSU squat.

Day 2's plan

Bench press

Bar upright row

DB pull over

DB incline flye

DB lateral raise

Chin up, assisted

Goblet squat + Bosu

Core exercise - Bosu russian twist, etc.

• Like 1

I went to the gym the other night with the plan above, and this is what I actually did. I had less than an hour (like 45 minutes) before the gym closing time.

I played with BOSU, doing squat a bit but it's hard. It was a good warm up.

Goblet squat

Cable crossover

DB pull over

Natural hand pull up

Bar upright row

DB lateral raise

DB front raise

Crunch on the exercise ball

I played with the leg press machine, and I can push 290.

To do 3x10 bar upright row, I had to use the bar 40lb. My upper body sucks.

Anyhow, Mark's daily apple has an article for the alternative exercise for back squat.

I think I'll switch to DB front squat. Goblet squat - the DB is 80lb max which it's hard to deal with.

I used 60 and 70lb DBs this time, and 70lb DB is a bit of chore to deal with.

Front squat, I can easily use 2x DBs so it's more flexible and feels safer to me.

• Like 1

Just catching up on other's threads. Yours are always informative and thoughtful (not boring!) I appreciate the articles and impressed with the intensity of your tennis playing and challenging workouts. Basically you're awesome!  :tennis: Thanks for sharing!

Challenge is over, and clearly I'm not taking the challenge as "challenge" any more. 

It's a process to implement the gym workout in my life, and so far, it's not hard at all.

I now have a gym program that I can implement, and I've been to the gym 2/week pace regularly.

I often go in around 9pm when I'm not playing tennis, and get out before 10pm at gym close.

It works and I'm pleased. However, the membership of gym ends at the end of year.

(I transferred the membership from my wife who apparently not going to the gym at all.)

Next year, I have to join a gym. Near-by gym has no power rack, or squat rack.

With just dumbbells, cable machine, pull up machine, and short bar, I cannot do back squat and bench press.

I have to make up my mind to join somewhere.

I did DB front squat, and the weights left stain on my shoulder while the weight rested on.

Also, I've been adding more things in my life. Well, as my daughter off to college, it's easier to do.

I went to the Bikes not Bombs volunteer night last Thursday. I got my hands dirty taking apart broken bikes.

I'm learning the older bikes. (All my bikes are pretty modern.) It's a work so I am not sure how much I want to be involved but I think I can do it once or twice a month.

Saturday, I went to play tennis with random strangers - I decided to play for a mixed doubles team and went to a practice.

Along with the socialization afterward, I got to see new set of people an a couple of different ways.

Let's see. The weight this morning was 164.9lbs.

I want to get down to 155 at some point but I'm not setting a date. It's about how I eat.

Food wise, I do what I do. I cook regularly, mostly paleo.

I'm teaching myself to not be "real full". My biggest problem is that, I eat until I get "really really full". 

This is also a continuous process of exercising self control. This will probably have the biggest impact to get the weight down.

BTW, I made Steve's "beef stew". I put in a chopped apple to sweeten the stew, and it came out much sweeter than it should be but it's pretty good.

Have happy holidays everyone.

• Like 1

Your wrap-up thread sounds great! At times early in the thread, you sounded kind of skeptical about lifting and cross-training, but now you seem to have found things that work for you and to have made a good habit. Sounds like a gym membership in the new year will be worth it! Also cool that you've met some new people and tried some volunteering.

• Like 1