The Cafeteria

Blaidd

This thread is for anyone who would like to share a recipe with their fellow nerds. Have at it :D

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Paleo Scotch eggs

1lbs meat per 6 eggs (I used lean pork last time, since it's what i had, but I'd use something with some fat in it next time like 80/20 beef or a mix of the two)

Spices of your choosing- I used crushed fennel seeds, dried ground sage, oregano , thyme, garlic, pepper salt

1. Hard boil eggs, there are many ways to do so, but the following link I've found works great and doesn't over cook the eggs (no chalky yolks) http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

2. while your eggs are cooling and waiting to peel mix spices with ground meat

3. Preheat oven (with your cooking sheet in it) to 350 degrees

4. split each pound of meat into 6 sections (might not seem like enough to cover an egg but it is!) and make patties out of them. I found a more rectangle shape worked best

5. After the eggs are peeled, cover them with the meat patties, i found that wrapping it around then pinching the top and bottom together worked best, but I'm sure there are many ways to go about this

6. place onto warmed pan and cook for about 20 minuets or until meat is cooked all the way through

I put some mustard on them, and they were great out of the oven. I also have been eating them all week, just heat slightly to take the chill off (don't have to but i thought it was better than straight out of the fridge) eat plain or top with condiment of your choosing!

• Like 2

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

New go to dinner recipe! 

Based off the recipe from http://www.mynatural...cken-kale-soup/

I made some changes, I like adding lemon with kale, makes it less earthy tasting

Nourishing Crock Pot Paleo Chicken & Kale Soup (with my changes, see link for original recipe)

Crock-Pot-Paleo-Chicken-Soup-196x300.jpg

A one-pot chicken soup with a nourishing broth made from chicken bones, fresh thyme, garlic. Loaded with bright vegetables and tender, fall off the bone chicken.
Author: Rebecca
Serves: 8
Ingredients
  • 2 lb. Chicken Thighs, bone-in, skin removed(about 5 thighs) I used bonless
  • ½ T. Coarse Salt(sea salt or Real salt is preferable)
  • ¼ t. Pepper
  • 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 5 C. Chicken Broth
  • 1 lb. Carrots, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into ¼" slices
  • 1 Yellow Onion, diced
  • ½ bunch Kale(about 4 C. packed) stems removed, chopped into bite sized
  • pieces I ended up dumping a whole bag of pre cut kale, probably 6-8 cups, and loved all the veggies
  • ½ T. Fresh Thyme, chopped
  • Additional Salt and Pepper, to taste
  • I added about 2 cups of chopped celery
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon thyme
Instructions
  1. Place the chicken thighs in the base of a crock pot. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken
  2. Add carrots and Celery Place the thyme sprigs and minced garlic on top of the chicken.
  3. Pour chicken broth into the crock pot.
  4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours
  5. Mix in kale, let cook another 30 minutes
  6. add lemon juice and fresh time and serve

when stiring in the kale the chicken becomes shredded so no need to take it out of the soup to cut it!

• Like 2

Last recipe I'll post today. It's coming to the holidays and I know many of us will be facing temptations when it comes to deserts. The following brownies have maple in it, but have no other sugars, no wheat/grain flour, and are delicious (also happen to be vegan, and you can just eat the batter). If you want to see the process step by step you can see here: http://muddydancer.com/2013/11/19/maple-pumpkin-brownies/

Ingredients:

• 8 oz of chocolate
  • 2/3 cup pumpkin
  • 1 cup maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour

Items needed:

• Double boiler- a bowl that can withstand heat placed over a saucepan of water. Make sure the water does not reach the bottom of the bowl
  • 9×9 pan
  • parchment paper
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Line 9x9 pine with parchment paper
  • Using a double boiler- combine the first 4 ingredients until melted
  • Add in cocoa powder, stir until mixed
  • Sift flour in
  • Remove from double boiler
  • Stir until just combined
  • Pour into a 9×9 pan lined with parchment paper
  • Bake for approximately 30 minuets- they will still look a little gooey, if you insert a toothpick you want a few crumbs to come off. If you like really gooey brownies, you can bake them as much or as little as you want. There are no eggs or dairy to worry about.

This is one I found when I played with Paleo years ago: Double-pork Stuffed Chicken Breasts. It's delicious. I'm currently looking for a way to modify it, though, to make it a bit easier to eat and portion out for lunches as well. I need something to bind the stuffing together, though, to make it work for the idea I had (tenderizing some chicken tenders nice and flat and making rollups). Any ideas would be welcome!

4 servings

• 4 chicken breasts
  • 3/4 pound ground pork
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 package of bacon

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a skillet over medium heat, sauté pork, shallot, parsley and half of spices for 6-8 minutes until pork is just cooked, but still slightly pink.

Use a knife to butterfly the breasts (slice lengthwise through one side of the breast creating a pocket).

Open up the breasts and pound briefly with a meat tenderizer to thin the meat out a bit.

Sprinkle the remaining spices evenly over the inside of the breasts.

Spoon equal amounts of ground pork on to one side of each breast, then fold the other side over the top.

Wrap bacon slices snugly around each breast, covering entirely.

Bake uncovered for 25 minutes, then put under the broiler for 3 minutes to crisp up bacon.

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

I started a blog: The Cognitive Itch
"Even in these chains, you can't stop me"

Weight loss goal: Drop from 247 to 160

36%
36%

. I need something to bind the stuffing together, though, to make it work for the idea I had (tenderizing some chicken tenders nice and flat and making rollups). Any ideas would be welcome!

Eggs can be a great binder, especially when working with ground meat and as far as portion size, maybe use thighs (i'm also partial to dark meat) and put filling in, roll up and toothpick it?

I tried this yesterday, sorry I can't really give exact measurements because I just freewheeled it, but if you're like me and have troubles eating your veggies this is a quick and easy worth a shot. Microwave soft chicken tacos. 

took about a cup and a half of tyson precooked chicken breast strips

2 cups veggies, I used onion, green peppers, garlic, a small helping broccoli

about a tbsp I think I used less of ground cumin

put it in a ziplock microwave steamer bag for 4 minutes and put it with some fat free cheddar on a whole wheat tortilla

Hitting up a blogger for my journey to make a hot sexy body for my hot sexy red shirt 

http://raystightshirt.blogspot.com/

Failure is an option, sometimes it's the only option. Giving up, that isn't an option

Oh man! I just made these for the first time and I HAD to share!!! One of the things I love most is finding new recipes and this one's a keeper!!!!

I substituted the ground beef for ground turkey and added a minced carrot and a few minced mushrooms as well, and they turned out AMAZING!!!!

http://www.savorylotus.com/asian-style-meatballs-cilantro-green-onion/

Asian Style Meatballs

Ingredients:

1tbsp coconut aminos (soy sauce alternative, I used soy sauce)

1tbsp honey

1tbsp sesame oil

1tsp grated fresh ginger

1 clove fresh garlic, minced (I used more, I LOVE garlic)

1/2tsp sea salt

1lb grass fed ground beef

1 egg, beaten

1tbsp coconut flour

1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine

2tbsp green onions, chopped

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line baking sheet with parchment paper (I actually used a silpad, they're the greatest)

2. In a small bowl, mix coconut aminos, honey, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and salt. Set aside.

3. Place ground beef, egg, and coconut flour in to a large bowl. Mix well.

4. Add prepared amino/honey mixture. Mix again to combine. (I used my hands)

5. Fold in cilantro and green onions.

6. Roll into desired sized meatballs and place onto baking sheet.

7. Bake for 25 minutes until brown and cooked all the way through.

8. Serve immediately OR allow to cool and freeze for later.

9. ENJOY!!!

• Like 1

level 1 Lycan Assassin

STR 1 DEX 1 STA 2 CON 2 WIS 2 CHA 2

Current Chellenge: here

First Challenge: here

It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop - Confucius

Paleo Scotch eggs

1lbs meat per 6 eggs (I used lean pork last time, since it's what i had, but I'd use something with some fat in it next time like 80/20 beef or a mix of the two)

Spices of your choosing- I used crushed fennel seeds, dried ground sage, oregano , thyme, garlic, pepper salt

1. Hard boil eggs, there are many ways to do so, but the following link I've found works great and doesn't over cook the eggs (no chalky yolks) http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

2. while your eggs are cooling and waiting to peel mix spices with ground meat

3. Preheat oven (with your cooking sheet in it) to 350 degrees

4. split each pound of meat into 6 sections (might not seem like enough to cover an egg but it is!) and make patties out of them. I found a more rectangle shape worked best

5. After the eggs are peeled, cover them with the meat patties, i found that wrapping it around then pinching the top and bottom together worked best, but I'm sure there are many ways to go about this

6. place onto warmed pan and cook for about 20 minuets or until meat is cooked all the way through

I put some mustard on them, and they were great out of the oven. I also have been eating them all week, just heat slightly to take the chill off (don't have to but i thought it was better than straight out of the fridge) eat plain or top with condiment of your choosing!

I LOVE Scotch eggs and never knew how to make them.  My wife and I go the the Ren Faire in PA every year and always stop at the egg stand.  Thank you so much.

PolishRifle

Level 3 Jedi Knight

STR: 1 DEX: 1 STA: 5 CON: 4  WIS: 7 CHA: 5

"Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us.  Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
Reduce Body weight from 230lbs to 180lbs (lose 50 lbs) Currently 214lbs

32%
32%

Oh man! I just made these for the first time and I HAD to share!!! One of the things I love most is finding new recipes and this one's a keeper!!!!

I substituted the ground beef for ground turkey and added a minced carrot and a few minced mushrooms as well, and they turned out AMAZING!!!!

These would be awesome served up on a plate of sauteed veggies

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

36%
36%

I LOVE Scotch eggs and never knew how to make them.  My wife and I go the the Ren Faire in PA every year and always stop at the egg stand.  Thank you so much.

Normally there is flour and breadcrumbs on it. If you don't mind the flour, you're supposed to first toss the eggs in flour, then cover in meat, then i think egg wash and breadcrumbs. The way I did it, you dont get that crispy outside that most scotch eggs have, but they still taste amaizing

Normally there is flour and breadcrumbs on it. If you don't mind the flour, you're supposed to first toss the eggs in flour, then cover in meat, then i think egg wash and breadcrumbs. The way I did it, you dont get that crispy outside that most scotch eggs have, but they still taste amaizing

Yeah, I'm planning to make these this weekend and will grind up some almonds, not quite into meal, and dust the outside of the meat to try and get a bit of a crisp on it. I'll let you know how that goes.

• Like 1

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Challenges: 4-Warrior, 3-Assassin, 2-Adventurer, 1-Recruit

Battlelog

Go ahead and laugh all you want to, I got my philosophy and I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down -Ben Fold's Five "Philosophy"

I had been craving for savory oatmeal lately, so everytime I am back from school I would whip up my favorite savory oatmeal recipe that I came up with! Here's the recipe for those who are interested. I didn't really measure anything aside from the oil and the rolled oats.

Spicy Curry Oatmeal

1/2 cup rolled oats (50g)

1 cup of water

1 tsp. coconut oil

eggplant, sliced

white/purple onion, sliced

multicolored bell peppers, diced

tomatoes, diced

spinach, roughly chopped

curry powder

cayenne pepper

salt and pepper

4 oz. cooked chicken breast

Optional:

1 T. Nutritional Yeast (recommended!)

Tofu, cubed

2 eggs

(as I tend to have 2 large meals a day for the time being, I also add a block of tofu and an egg in my oatmeal)

Procedure: 

1. In a large bowl, combine oatmeal and water.

2. Heat a non-stick pan. Then put 1 tsp. of coconut oil. Once the oil is heated*, saute the onions until translucent. Add salt and pepper.

3. Add eggplants, tomatoes and peppers and saute until well-cooked, about 5-8 minutes.

4.Add spinach, curry powder, cayenne pepper. Saute until the spinach becomes wrinkly.

5. If adding tofu/eggs, crack the eggs into the veggie mixture and keep on stirring until the egg is well-cooked. For the tofu, add the tofu to the veggie mixture until well-mixed.

6. Add the oatmeal-water mixture to the pan and mix until the veggies and the oatmeal are well-combined. You might want to add a little bit more water to achieve your desired oatmeal consistency.

7. Add the cooked chicken breast and nutritional yeast and cook for another 1-2 minutes.

8. Turn off the stove, let the oatmeal cool for a while before you transfer it into a bowl, as your tongue might get burned when you are gonna eat it. XD

9. Serve and enjoy!  :D

* to know whether the oil is hot enough to cook with pretty much anything, try putting 1-2 drops of water in the oil. If it sizzles, then it's ready to cook some food!  :D

This savory oatmeal is a great balance of complex carbs, protein and fat. Feel free to change the seasonings!  :)

Harrieta

Level 1 Gnoll Adventurer

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 2|CHA 2

"In order to make life easier, you gotta make your exercises TOUGHER!!!"

The chicken turned out so well from the recipe I just tried on Monday.   

Crock-pot Chicken Curry:

http://busycooks.abo...shareurlbuttons

• 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. grated fresh gingeroot
  • 2" cinnamon stick
  • 1 to 2 Tbsp. curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 3-1/2 lb. chicken, cut up and skinned
  • 1-1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 2 tsp. curry powder
  • 2 Tbsp. cold water
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onions
  • 1/2 cup mango chutney
  • 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
  • 1/2 cup chopped coconut

Combine the onion, garlic, ginger root, cinnamon, 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder, and red pepper flakes in 3-4 quart crockpot. Arrange chicken on top of onions and spices in crockpot. Pour chicken broth over all.

Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Remove chicken and keep warm in low oven, covered. Skim fat from crockpot. Combine cornstarch, 2 teaspoons curry powder, and water in a small bowl. Stir into juices remaining in crockpot. Increase heat to high and cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve chicken with sauce and chutney. Sprinkle with cilantro and green onions to serve, and serve with peanuts, and coconut.

I just used chicken tenderloin because it was on sale (score!), but I think some dark meat would go really well in there too.  I left off the garnishes, except for the chutney, which I had never eaten and really wanted to try.  I used a cranberry mango chutney and it was really good.  I wanted more than a single serving of it, but that would not have fit my calories, so no.  I've just been eating the chicken with a little bit of the sauce on it.  I'm thinking I'll try this recipe again, and figure out how to make a soup or something out of the chicken.  Also, I think next time the onion is getting seriously chopped up.  I'm not a huge onion fan (I don't like big chunks of it), so I end up picking them out and that is just annoying.

Level 1 - Were-gator

STR .8 | STA 3.1 | DEX .9 | CON .7 | WIS 2 | CHA .9

1st Challenge

Main goal - 12/15/14 - Get to 175 pounds from 195 pounds.  Currently at 184.5

52.5%
52.5%

No soda challenge - 12/15/14 - 99 days and counting to 180.

55%
55%

"Stop beating yourself up.  You are a work in progress; which means you get there a little at a time, not all at once." - unknown

I whipped up a festive veggie dish for the family and it was a hit! I wanna share it to you guys! :)

All of the ingredients are not measured except for the chicken breast and the oil.

Ingredients:

Serves 4

Bell peppers, diced (I used red, but feel free to use other colored bell peppers)

Purple onion, diced

Leeks, roughly chopped

Mangoes, cubed

4 4 oz. chicken breasts, pounded till all are equal in thickness

Basil for garnish

1 T. coconut oil, divided use

Salt and pepper

Procedure:

1. Heat a non-stick pan, then put 1/2 T. coconut oil.

2. Put chicken breasts on the heated pan and let it cook, about 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway the cooking time. Remove chicken from pan.

3. Put the remaining 1/2 T. coconut oil in the pan and put all the veggies in the pan and let it cook. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Once the veggies are cooked, turn off the stove and put the mangoes on the veggie mixture.

5. Put the veggie mixture at the bottom of the presenting dish, then put the chicken breast on top. 

6. Let cool for a bit before garnishing the dish with basil.

7. Enjoy!

Harrieta

Level 1 Gnoll Adventurer

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 2|CHA 2

"In order to make life easier, you gotta make your exercises TOUGHER!!!"

<p>

New go to dinner recipe!

Based off the recipe from http://www.mynatural...cken-kale-soup/

I made some changes, I like adding lemon with kale, makes it less earthy tasting

Nourishing Crock Pot Paleo Chicken & Kale Soup (with my changes, see link for original recipe)

Crock-Pot-Paleo-Chicken-Soup-196x300.jpg

A one-pot chicken soup with a nourishing broth made from chicken bones, fresh thyme, garlic. Loaded with bright vegetables and tender, fall off the bone chicken.

Author: Rebecca

Serves: 8

Ingredients

• 2 lb. Chicken Thighs, bone-in, skin removed(about 5 thighs) I used bonless
  • ½ T. Coarse Salt(sea salt or Real salt is preferable)
  • ¼ t. Pepper
  • 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 5 C. Chicken Broth
  • 1 lb. Carrots, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into ¼" slices
  • 1 Yellow Onion, diced
  • ½ bunch Kale(about 4 C. packed) stems removed, chopped into bite sized
  • pieces I ended up dumping a whole bag of pre cut kale, probably 6-8 cups, and loved all the veggies
  • ½ T. Fresh Thyme, chopped
  • Additional Salt and Pepper, to taste
  • I added about 2 cups of chopped celery
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon thyme
Instructions
  • Place the chicken thighs in the base of a crock pot. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken
  • Add carrots and Celery Place the thyme sprigs and minced garlic on top of the chicken.
  • Pour chicken broth into the crock pot.
  • Cook on low for 6-8 hours
  • Mix in kale, let cook another 30 minutes
  • add lemon juice and fresh time and serve
when stiring in the kale the chicken becomes shredded so no need to take it out of the soup to cut it!

This looks and sounds amazing. I'm going to get the ingredients when I co shopping Friday and give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

I've got two BBQ sauce recipes that are AMAZING. I've had both of them on chicken, pork, and turkey.

The first one is from Budget Bytes - Raspberry Chipotle BBQ  It does call for Raspberry Jam, but it should be pretty easy to substitute that with some raspberries and honey, if you like. I just made a very large batch of it a few weeks ago. I like it a bit hotter so I add extra chipotle, and I'm not a huge fan of the chunks left over so I ran the immersion blender in it quick to get rid of them.

Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil $0.03
  • ½ med yellow onion $0.18
  • 2 cloves garlic $0.14
  • 8 oz. tomato sauce $0.56
  • 1 cup raspberry jam $2.23
  • ¼ cup cider vinegar $0.23
  • 1 pepper + sauce chipotle peppers in adobo $0.10

Instructions
  1. Finely dice the onion and garlic. Cook both in a sauce pan with vegetable oil over medium heat until softened (3-5 minutes). Meanwhile, roughly chop one chipotle pepper and reserve 1 Tbsp of adobo sauce from the can.
  2. Add the tomato sauce, raspberry jam, cider vinegar, chopped chipotle pepper and adobo sauce to the cooked onions and garlic. Stir everything well and bring up to a simmer. Continue to simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow the sauce to cool after simmering (it will thicken upon cooling).

The second is Spicy Mustard BBQ Sauce

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup mustard
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 5 drops Tabasco sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons butter

Instructions

1. Mix all but soy and butter in a sauce pan and simmer for fifteen minutes. Add Soy and butter to finish and serve.

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

36%
36%

Today's recipe:

http://allrecipes.co...il.aspx?evt19=1

Chicken and Lentils

Original recipe makes 6 servings

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 small carrot, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

3/4 cup dried lentils

1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 (10 ounce) can tomato sauce

1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1 tablespoon lemon juice

Check All Add to Shopping List

PREP

15 mins

COOK

1 hr 15 mins

READY IN

1 hr 30 mins Directions

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the chicken pieces 5 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear. Remove chicken from skillet, and set aside.

Place onion in the skillet, and cook 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in the carrot and garlic. Stir in the lentils and broth, and season with salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.

Return chicken to skillet. Cover, and continue cooking 20 minutes. If the mixture becomes too dry, add a little water to just moisten.

Stir tomato sauce into the skillet. Season with rosemary and basil. Continue cooking 10 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir in lemon juice, and serve warm.

I used boneless skinless chicken breast instead of bone in chicken. I also pureed the onion as I don't like big chunks of onion. Plus I used 15 oz tomato sauce instead of 10.  It turned out wonderful.  Definitely going in the recipe book.

Level 1 - Were-gator

STR .8 | STA 3.1 | DEX .9 | CON .7 | WIS 2 | CHA .9

1st Challenge

Main goal - 12/15/14 - Get to 175 pounds from 195 pounds.  Currently at 184.5

52.5%
52.5%

No soda challenge - 12/15/14 - 99 days and counting to 180.

55%
55%

"Stop beating yourself up.  You are a work in progress; which means you get there a little at a time, not all at once." - unknown

Have to highly recommend Mark's Daily Apple's Bacon Trail mix. Made a batch of that last night but with macadamia nuts instead of cashews and chopped up dried apples (ironic to add to an MDA recipe) and it was awesome for fueling the sun-up to sun-down day of canoeing and hiking we did.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Challenges: 4-Warrior, 3-Assassin, 2-Adventurer, 1-Recruit

Battlelog

Go ahead and laugh all you want to, I got my philosophy and I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down -Ben Fold's Five "Philosophy"