• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wingfoot

Wingfoot vs. the Holidays

Hi all!  Sorry I'm a couple of days late to the challenge party -- good thing my goal progress is measured by the week!

Warning: rambling ahead. 

I haven't done a challenge in just over a year because I realized I tend to chafe under strict training schedules.  So instead I focused on building an anti-fragile exercise regime -- on any given day, if I don't feel like doing exercise x it's okay, because I can do k, q, or z instead!  

There is one other thing, which is both a reason I was reluctant to do a challenge, and the reason why I think I really should.  And that is that things have been going REALLY well for me ever since Camp Nerd Fitness.  I've been on a roll, and it's showing, and I'm losing weight, and I just passed a HUGE weight loss milestone and am approaching another one.  So for a while I was thinking that I should just keep doing what I was doing and not mess with it.  But here's the other thing -- complacency is my enemy, and is even more deadly when accompanied by my arch-nemesis, Fear of Major Milestones.  Between the feeling that I've been on track lately AND the self-sabotage that tends to pop up ahead of big milestones, AND the fact that Winter is Coming...  well, let's just say the next few weeks are not as guaranteed a win as I'd like to think.

SO, the aim of this challenge for me will be mostly to maintain forward momentum through the holidays.  With that in mind, my goals are:

Goal 1.  Progressively Longer Planks.  I really like the idea of PLP, but I'm not ready for it with push-ups or pull-ups.  And here's the thing -- I think that my core strength, and my abdomen in particular, is holding me back from leveling up in other areas like yoga, squats, etc.  I'm fine with a 30-second or so plank, and can (unwillingly) do longer, so I've been toying with using the PLP concept for planks.  So I'm going to do it.  I started with a 10-second plank Monday night, then 11 seconds last night.  I'll keep adding a second a day through the challenge.  For me, this one is hard because I'll forget.  I'm hoping posting a calendar next to my bed and crossing the days off as I go will help me to remember to do it.  So as not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good, I'll consider this a win if I remember 6 days a week.

Goal 2.  Yoga.  I've seen a lot of progress in yoga in the past year, and I think it's a great exercise to help me get through winter.  I've been going to 7am yoga just once a week, and want to increase to 3 by the end of winter.  So for this challenge, I'm going to work on the habit of going twice a week.

Goal 3.  Sugar-Free Me.  This one is a maintenance goal, but it is threatened by the holidays.  I've been sugar-free for the past several months (except when I had a cold and used honey in my tea) and I absolutely love it.  I actually find abstaining easier than moderation.  So my goal is to keep this going for the next 6 weeks, despite all the cookies and such that will be parading around my office.  I get one free pass for my birthday party, because I wouldn't want to offend the friend who will be baking a cake.

Life Goal.  Time to Declutter I have way too much stuff.  I live in a NYC apartment and I think I'm going to have to move in the next few months.  I haven't figured out a way to quantify this yet, so I will have to grade weekly using my reasonable judgment.  Basically, every week I need to make measurable progress towards decluttering -- e.g., this week I sold several large unused items, next week I'm doing a Goodwill run, etc.

I'm looking forward to the challenge, and wish everyone the best of luck!

• Like 3

Sounds like a good plan, and I'm glad to see you here!!!  Hopefully, it won't trigger any rebellion against your self-imposed guidelines.

I'm REALLY curious to see how the plank PLP goes.  I'm usually stuck at 30 - 35 seconds myself.  I've done 60 seconds only because I wanted to reach that goal.  So .... I'm hoping you'll inspire me!!

4b3b1e8bad128eb2611a8f04ec0a4900.jpg

Hopefully, it won't trigger any rebellion against your self-imposed guidelines.

I hope not, too!  I tried to keep the goals small enough that they shouldn't.  

I'm REALLY curious to see how the plank PLP goes. 

Me too!  I loved the idea of PLP when Steve wrote about it, but I wasn't ready for push-ups/pull-ups, so I spent a lot of time thinking about what I CAN do and would love to level up.  Gradual progression just makes so much sense, it seems like the concept should transfer over... right?  I'm only on day 5, but so far, so good.  I love that it starts with an amount that isn't hard for you (so, in my case, a 10-second plank) and then you build up just a tiny bit.  So right now it's more about building the habit, really.  We'll see how it goes when I pass the 30-second mark in a couple of weeks.  Fingers crossed!   

• Like 1

Week 1 Update!

Hi guys!

Week 1 is done!  It went pretty well.

Goal 1: Progressively Longer Planks.  I've been doing this when I'm changing into my PJs at night, and I haven't forgotten yet!  Lessons learned: (1) Don't attempt this in socks on a wood floor.  (2) This is much harder on days you're sore from too much yoga.  Which brings us to...

Goal 2: Yoga.  So, I didn't start the challenge until Wednesday.  Which means when I said 2 days of yoga, 3 of my available days were gone (I go in the morning).  So I wasn't sure how I was going to make 2 days happen.  And then the Adventurers' mini prompted me to attempt yoga two days in a row.  It went well, I didn't embarrass myself, but WOW was I sore after that.  I THOUGHT I was sore Saturday, but then yesterday I found out what sore actually feels like.  Let's stick to 2 non-consecutive days of yoga for the remaining weeks of the challenge, shall we?

Goal 3: Sugar-Free Me.  Yup.  It was harder this week because I got stressful news on Sunday and OH MAN did I want to eat some cookies or something.  Confession: I did totally have pizza for dinner.  But it wasn't sugar.  So I'm calling it a win.

Life Goal: Time to Declutter.  This week my roommate and I took a car-ful of stuff to Goodwill.  And not a moment too soon!  Because then we got a message from our landlord that they've found a buyer for our building, and the buyer wants it vacant.  SO we have to move ASAP (well, legally we have a month, but we're aiming for 12/1).  Decluttering is now urgent.

And that's it for me!  First week is a success!

• Like 1

AND the self-sabotage that tends to pop up ahead of big milestones, AND the fact that Winter is Coming...  well, let's just say the next few weeks are not as guaranteed a win as I'd like to think.

I have an issue with getting complacent in my routine as well. It's like...if it's working, it also means that it will be boring soon. That's why I have a huge variation of things that I like doing. I use kettelbells, sledgehammers, sandbags, bodyweight stuff, a tractor tire, sandjugs, and bodyweight exercises, along with walking and stairs.  It keeps things interesting but worthwhile progress-wise; if I have a 'Base' workout that I always do and a 'Free-mode' workout, which is whatever I feel like. So my 'base' is always pushups and sledgehammer stuff, and my 'free-mode' is doing anything else that I feel like.

Also:

winter-is-coming-jpeg-492x0_q85_crop-sma

Couldn't help it.

Good luck with the sugar monsters. This time of year is tough for everyone with holiday stress, gifts, obligations, family, shorter and colder days- it's the perfect disaster of stress and conditions to stuff food and hibernate for a couple months.

If you have any questions (though you seem to be doing fine with your first week), feel free to post on my thread, the Tavern, or send me a private message. Good luck and have fun. :P

OMG you guys.  Sorry to be a couple of days late with my week 2 report, but I can't even describe how stressful this week has been.  Apartment-hunting did not go smoothly AT ALL, a potentially major job change possibility just popped up, work got insanely busy, etc., etc., etc.  Seriously, thank goodness for this challenge or I would've been rolling around in piles of sugar (and that might have been my only exercise for the week!).  The stress is going to be lingering for a few more weeks, so this challenge couldn't have been better-timed.

Anyways, week 2 went ok, which feels like a massive victory in light of everything that was going on.

Goal 1: Progressively Longer Planks.  I'm still going strong.  Every day I think "ugh, this is going to be hard" but then once I get going I realize I'm just doing the same thing as yesterday (plus 1 second).  It's kind of awesome.  Still, on yoga days this is harder.

Goal 2: Yoga.  So, I did it, and technically complied with the requirements I set for myself.  The point of this was to go twice during the workweek because that is the habit I'm trying to build.  But this week I once again had to do one of the yoga sessions on the weekend.  Spoiler alert: the same thing is going to happen in week 3 (because of the holiday).  Week 4 I really need to try to make this 2 weekdays.  

Goal 3: Sugar-Free Me.  WAY harder this week.  Obviously because of the stress, but way more of an issue were the situational issues.  While apartment-hunting, I was constantly having to hang out in a random cafe for half an hour waiting for a broker, or meeting with a broker in a cafe, or whatever.  I had a lot of unsweetened herbal tea this week, my friends.

Life Goal: Time to Declutter.  I took a TON of junk to the curb, and made a new giant Goodwill pile.  My roommate and I are going to take it to Goodwill after Thanksgiving.  Also, I sold or gave away several things to coworkers.  Yay for less stuff!

Way to go on the first week!!!

tumblr_inline_mn0dvnSlIL1qldh6p.gif

Bummer about moving - but you have taken some major steps.  How hard will it be to find a new place??

It's great to have the Doctor on my side!  Made me smile.   :pride:

I live in NYC, so there are lots of apartments out there, but the market moves REALLY fast.  People come to view an apartment with all of their paperwork and a certified check ready to go.  It's intense.  We'll manage it, though.

• Like 1

Good luck with the sugar monsters. This time of year is tough for everyone with holiday stress, gifts, obligations, family, shorter and colder days- it's the perfect disaster of stress and conditions to stuff food and hibernate for a couple months.

Stress is the biggest one for me -- makes me want to face-plant in a pile of cookies.  Hopefully the yoga helps to balance it out...?  For the moment, I've just been redirecting my stress into packing, and keeping my focus on the next milestone I'm working toward.  Plus, I'd love to be able to look back on New Years and say I lost weight during the holidays.  How awesome would that be?

• Like 1

Stress is the biggest one for me -- makes me want to face-plant in a pile of cookies.  Hopefully the yoga helps to balance it out...?  For the moment, I've just been redirecting my stress into packing, and keeping my focus on the next milestone I'm working toward.  Plus, I'd love to be able to look back on New Years and say I lost weight during the holidays.  How awesome would that be?

Yea, stress eating is one big problem that many of us share!  But you've got a good strategy there - channel it into something productive as exercise or do yoga (or meditate??).

Week 3 Report - Slaying the Thanksgiving Beasties!

OK, so it took me a while to slay them.  We battled for days.  The beasties were strong.  But in the end, I was victorious, so I'll call that a win.  (By which I mean the long weekend was a wonderful opportunity to spend quality time with friends I hadn't seen in a while, and there was much wine, and also pizza and Mexican food.  But the weekend is over so I'm loading back up on veggies.).

Goal 1: Progressively Longer Planks.  I keep thinking I'm going to hit a wall on this, but every day I just add one second more and it's totally fine.  Held a 31-second plank yesterday.  Hooray!

Goal 2: Yoga.  Yup!  One before Thanksgiving, one after.  I'm having less soreness from the repeat classes -- hopefully by the end of this challenge I'll be ready to bump it up to three times a week!  (That's my plan to get through winter until I can play outside again).  

Goal 3: Sugar-Free Me.  OK, so at the beginning of the challenge when I planned this one, I built in an exception for my birthday (this coming week) but FORGOT to build in an exception for Thanksgiving.  Whoops!  Every year my host makes homemade cheesecake and he's very very proud of it.  It would have been rude (and made me sad) if I skipped it, so I had one piece.  It was wonderful.  I'm not even the tiniest bit sorry or regretful about that.  BUT, since I didn't actually build it in as an exception, I guess I have to deduct points for the week?  I was 100% sugar-free for 6/7 days (more like 6.9/7 but whatever), so I guess that's a B.

Life Goal: Time to Declutter.  We did another big Goodwill run, and I sold/gave away a bunch of stuff to colleagues.  I'm almost done getting rid of the stuff that I don't want to move into the new apartment.  In the next week or so, this goal may need to shift to figuring out how to organize the stuff I did keep so it's not all out in the open driving me crazy.

• Like 1