• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Going solid so far with these weeks but potentially troublesome days ahead.

Snow reports for tomorrow are 6-14 inches - Thanksgiving igloos anyone?

Not to mention trying to figure out Thursday.  We have two options: 1) Traditional Thanksgiving at my dad's - always fun spending time there; or 2) Non-traditional Thanksgiving at home - it will involve cooking lots of random semi-"fancy" foods.

How about you guys?  Plans/Challenges/Adventures planned for the long weekend?

My husband and I always travel on major holidays: an hour away to both of our parents'. This year will be no different: lunch at his parents and then dinner at my sister's husband's family (which includes my parents). My only problem with this food holiday is the desserts! I'm not a casserole person, in fact I don't eat any of them, I eat the turkey, beets and rolls. So if I can control myself with the desserts, that is, if there are some I like (I don't eat pumpkin pie), I'll be good.

• Like 1

We have a tradition of driving my family (myself, wife, pack of kids) about an hour and a half to have a Thanksgiving event with my sister's family and her in-laws.  They are all really good people.  Ends up being a group of twenty-plus people.  There will be pies and such, but there should be enough meats and vegetables that I can fill up on relatively healthy food to limit the damage.

Snow reports for tomorrow are 6-14 inches - Thanksgiving igloos anyone?

We're looking at 4 to 6 inches here in New England. It may or may not veer off course so we're just playing it by ear at this point. Then again, if some snow falls, that's a chance for a good workout shoveling snow, right?

We'll be visiting a couple of places for Thanksgiving. The first is some friends of ours that stood in our wedding. We've been going to their place since they moved back into the area a couple years ago or so. We rarely get leftovers from them due to how many they host so that's a good thing. No splurging on the day after on leftovers so that'll limit some of the damage.

After that, we'll be going to some friends that we'll be visiting for Thanksgiving for the first time. That'll be fun since we'll be seeing some other folks there that we haven't seen in some months as well. I'm not sure what the spread will be like there so we'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

Hey, I'm in.  Dresden is one of all time favorite characters -- and the supporting cast is pretty darned awesome too.

Thanksgiving itself wasn't too bad.  We stayed here and went out to eat.  I got in a good long run in the morning, and stuck to mostly vegetables and turkey, plus a glass of champagne and a few bites of dessert.

TOMORROW is the big challenge.  My daughter and her fiance are coming up for dinner.  There are already two pies cooling, ice creams in the freezer, and bags of sweet snacks.  I kinda give hubby two or three holidays per year where he can go all "Swedish grandmother" in the kitchen.  I hope that we can send most of the sweets home with the kids. 

• Like 1

Hey, I'm in.  Dresden is one of all time favorite characters -- and the supporting cast is pretty darned awesome too.

Thanksgiving itself wasn't too bad.  We stayed here and went out to eat.  I got in a good long run in the morning, and stuck to mostly vegetables and turkey, plus a glass of champagne and a few bites of dessert.

TOMORROW is the big challenge.  My daughter and her fiance are coming up for dinner.  There are already two pies cooling, ice creams in the freezer, and bags of sweet snacks.  I kinda give hubby two or three holidays per year where he can go all "Swedish grandmother" in the kitchen.  I hope that we can send most of the sweets home with the kids. 

Welcome.

Sounds like a good Thanksgiving. The pies, ice cream, and sweet snacks sound like a challenge.  Keep to the code!  

Does your husband know that you call him a Swedish grandmother?

Hello!  I'm starting a bit late, but since I love the Dresden Files I hope you don't mind if I join in. And since my goal is running related, trying to keep up with the Hunt sounds perfect. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the hunt, Chris-Tien Jinn and Firedance!

I hope everyone's holiday feasting went well. All was decent over here (mainly because we ended up visiting only one place instead of two) so what could have been a lot worse ended up being pretty decent over all.

Then again, we're about to head off to 2nd Thanksgiving later today. Shouldn't be terrible, but we'll see how it goes.

How is week #4 shaping up to be for everyone? Any trouble yet with keeping to your goals?

I need to buckle down, and hard, on the eating junk food front. Since it was Thanksgiving last week and I was off for 5 days, I ate badly all of those days. And I'm sure my waistline shows it! 

• Like 1

Hello!  I'm starting a bit late, but since I love the Dresden Files I hope you don't mind if I join in. And since my goal is running related, trying to keep up with the Hunt sounds perfect. 

Your goals look solid and we will be checking in to help you stay motivated.

Here's to a successful next three weeks (and beyond)!

Posted in elinox's thread, but thought I would put it here too.  From Victor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning:

“Don't aim at success. The more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side effect of one's personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself. Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it. I want you to listen to what your conscience commands you to do and go on to carry it out to the best of your knowledge. Then you will live to see that in the long-run—in the long-run, I say!—success will follow you precisely because you had forgotten to think about itâ€

From the persective of the Hunt, I think that means that if we each try to be the best Hunter that we can be, then the success of each particular hunt will flow naturally as a result.  Focusing just on the success of a particular goal can cause short-cutting and short-sighted decisions.

Flowers bloom from the inside out.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

• Like 1

How is everyone's week going?

Yesterday was a child's birthday, and I made some bad choices.

But no permanent harm done, and my longer-term vision of what I want to be doing and being is becoming more solid.

post-19259-so-I-got-that-going-for-me-wh

My week's going about average: I got to the gym twice (including later today), succeeded in my 2-3 sweet treats and my meditation goal too. I can do better, I suppose I can always do better, but it went better this week than last.

• Like 1

Okay less spastic intro. Hi, I'm artemisia and I am trying to lose weight while improving my stamina and general health. I am a Monk but supplement my Krav Maga and Muay Thai with cardio and weight training. Commitment is a real issue for me: it's so easy when you've got nothing else going on, then it's a bad day at work, or there's a treat you just HAVE to have. Then suddenly I've forgotten to watch what I eat and slack on the exercise and back to Flickum Bicus I go. 

My challenge is like Molly's training. I've got the skills and the goal, but the methods might get might get me hooded and brought before the White Council (aka my doctor yelling about cycles of healthy lifestyle and unhealthy lifestyle). I need my Wizard Master (or Masters) to guide me, challenge me, and maybe throw a ball of fire at my face when I get cocky. 

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56766-artemisia-enters-the-arena/