• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

lairpie

Team Vegas

My 2nd goal is going down the tubes. I tried to do the Chicken & Dumplings by the Paleo rules but I threw in the dumplings anyway instead of potatoes. On the plus side... I added too much red pepper so I can barely eat it now!!!!

There's a lot of paleo food that is really just normal food. Elaine and Emily are super picky and still manage to eat things we make. The only thing to make sure you avoid is eating a bunch of carbs in a non paleo meal, that pumping up your appetite, then eating more than you would have of a paleo meal with a bunch of fat, that you'd normally not eat much of because it's so filling. Managing carbs is really the key thing, there's basically no way to keep an appetite in check without it.

Really, the biggest place to make an improvement is breakfast. getting a filling breakfast that doesn't just leave you overly hungry a few hours later is a big help. Not having the typical bread and sugar carbs with breakfast is so important, so that might be a good thing to focus on.

Omelettes, yogurt or cottage cheese with a few berries and almonds, frittatas, dinner left overs that aren't carby, eggs and bacon on a bed of spinach, steak and eggs, paleo pancakes the way we make them are pretty low carb. Any of those make it so much easier to not need a snack, have a nice small lunch, and go into dinner still needing a lot of calories for the day so you don't have to worry much.

Added Lorelei my former girlfriend, roommate, best friend, wow raid co-leader, etc to our team. She doesn't actually live here, but yay internet. Also has goals very much in line with ours. I'll post more later with some team ideas.

Did you do your sprints Saturday Dara? Various plans kept me from going to ultimate Saturday, but I think I'm going to try and put a bit more of a priority on doing that if at all possible.

skipped last 2 workouts. performed one today. Hence came to a realisation that I needed a buddy system for accountability. BING!!!I added myself. hope you guys dont ind it

• Like 1

So, paleo is not in my goals, but I am curious about it. Nikolas is allergic to (and as I still breast feed, I have to avoid) peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, and shellfish. How possible would it be to eat a reasonable paleo diet on that restrictive of a diet?

I don't think it would be harder to eat a paleo diet on those restrictions than it would to eat any other diet that one could consider healthy with those restrictions. It's not like sugar and wheat are exactly a pillar of any other reasonable diet either, or that cutting them out really is much trouble. I find i really miss pizza once in a while or some random desert, and as long as I'm good the rest of the time, i'm just fine to have those things once in a while. I really don't miss pasta (replaced with zoodles), buns (toasted sweet potato slices), chips (toasted sweet potato slices, cucumber slices). I gradually lowered the sugar i was putting into things like tea and now it seems perfectly fine without it. By not having much sugar ever, fruit seems super sweet.

Peanuts aren't paleo anyway, they're not actually a nut. Tree nuts are, but they're such a common allergen that no one would really view them as a pillar of the diet or anything. Eggs I think you'd feel a bit of a void without. The catch is that all the traditional breakfast foods in america other than eggs are so bad for you. Without eggs, to be getting healthy food for breakfast, you're pretty much going to have to eat things that aren't "breakfast food" but that's not all bad. Fish and shell fish sort of suck to lose, but that's not any more of an issue for paleo than any other diet. I had a few almond flakes on my cottage cheese and berries this morning, but would have been fine without them and other than that met your restrictions today.

Anyway, how are people doing on their quests? I know I felt a little derailed by having pie (and then more pie) at our early thanksgiving. I actually went back and figured out that I ate something like 5000 calories last saturday. The funny thing is had I not skipped ultimate that morning and held those 4 pieces (4, really? yeah...) of pie to the 1 i had planned to eat, I would have eaten more like 3500 calories and burned around 3000, so no big deal. There are definitely times where I'm going to want to eat more, and I need to keep that in mind. I seem to do better if I pre-plan my food a bit in MFP, it's easier to stick to the pre-recorded decisions. So that's my plan to get through the pizza luncheon that they're having for my last day at the job.

And yes, Jhonny you're welcome to join. I know all of the others, but a lot of them don't know each other, so shouldn't be that odd or anything. Sometime "soon" I'm going to introduce everyone a bit, but since I don't know anymore than is in your challenge thread, do you want to introduce yourself a bit?

I think I was doing okay with exercise, at least the walking goal but I have not stepped it up with the running goal. I went running once and I can certainly feel it on my knees. I just need to get out there and do it more often! 

As for the calorie intake, I need to do better. I did not have much pie however I have certainly had my fair share of unhealthy treats this week. I feel like I'm going the wrong way on the scale. Today with the pizza, I couldn't stop with 1 slice I had to have that 2nd slice. I'm changing my 2nd goal back to the point counting because before the wedding, that did work and it was helping. I think if I did that, it would help with the quantity and type of foods I'm eating. 

I know what I need to do, it's just doing it!!! I feel so defeated sometimes. 

Well Liz, i don't know how many points you ate today (though i was all "I'm a great accountabilibudy" about figuring out how many points the Bacon Apple trail mix and the paleo pancakes were and setting aside specific amounts for you) but I know My Fitness Pal feels I should eat another 2800 calories today to be on track for losing 2lbs a week, and you were right there with me all day, so that has to be good for the goals. Also, just think how many calories all that shaking on the edge of the cliff there burns!

Dara, Lor, Ellen, Jhonny: how's the weekend going for you?

Man, it is way hard for me to get in my 10000 steps when I work in the office from waking up until nightfall. But I'm sitting here pacing the kitchen while reading on my phone so it's not bad. I did my 30 minutes of strength training and 10 minutes of math learning though.

When I did P90X 1 hour workouts didn't seem so long. I know that the 1 hr workout video includes 5 minutes of warmup and cool down but I hadn't been counting warmup and cool down in my 30 minutes of strength workouts so after 20 minutes of strength exercise basically without resting (I drank a couple glasses of water) my muscles are soooo tired every time. I'm hoping that as I workout more regularly I gain more strength training endurance so I don't feel like quitting after only 20 minutes.

Lee, that was awesome of you to count the points for me on those snacks, thank you very much!! I certainly hit my goals plus on Saturday, that was a lot of fun. I can't wait to get back out there and do it again. Brian wants to do kayaks next time as the wind and canoes just don't mix! Someone needs to remind me that I'm terribly afraid of heights before I climb up the rock wall next time =) I think that little jaunt down the river will keep me motivated for the week.

So I have been trouble with diet lately. All I want to do is eat all the carbs. If is especially hard because I do need to eat a lot of calories due to breastfeeding and working out so if I just don't eat the carbs I fall very short on calories and I can't eat nut butters to give me a shot of extra calories like I used to. Any ideas on tasty things to eat that can give me the extra calories without being unhealthy?

Man, no eggs and no nuts is rough for getting wholesome calories without a bunch of carbs as those are some of the easiest ways to get a lot of good calories for pretty cheap. Adding more fats to things as you're cooking is probably the easiest way: a little more olive oil on the salad, more butter on things. I'd do that incrementally, not all at once or you might trigger a flashback to "50 years of low fat is the only way to go" being crammed down your throat. That said, if you're short on calories and trying to get more, carbs aren't magically bad for you, they're just dangerous when you're trying to not overeat because it's easy to have them, then get hungry for more because of it and overeat.

Complex, nutrient packed carbs like sweet potatoes and various squashes are great!  White potatoes are less nutritional, but if your body tolerates them well enough you could have those (they're also Whole30 approved now).  It's a great time of year for root vegetables and winter squashes.  The trick to getting the additional calories from fats is to add good fats in small amounts here and there, like Lee said.  If you drink coffee or tea, add a teaspoon of coconut oil to it.  Cook your steak in butter - that's the only way I do it on the stovetop anymore!  Slather baked sweet potatoes in coconut oil or butter, or do some sweet potato fries or hash in coconut oil.  I know we talked about this once in person, but coconut oil is such a go-to in our house.  We use it constantly! 

Yeah the problem I have is I'll eat a serving and then 10 minutes later decide to eat more because it tasted so good.

I don't drink coffee but maybe I'll try putting some coconut oil in tea sometimes. I usually only drink tea with honey when I'm sick. Otherwise I just drink water.

Also sweet potatoes totally hadn't even occurred to me even though I gave them to Nikolas regularly for a while. I can roast a couple and save them for later or even cook them in the microwave if I need to. Maybe I'll even make up some mashed sweet potatoes. Hopefully I'll be able to get Nikolas to eat them too, picky as he is.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

How's thanksgiving treating everyone? I managed to do enough exercise this morning that I ate a huge meal including pie and cake and still stayed under my target for food. All that food can go towards rebuilding those muscles!

Yeah the problem I have is I'll eat a serving and then 10 minutes later decide to eat more because it tasted so good.

I don't drink coffee but maybe I'll try putting some coconut oil in tea sometimes. I usually only drink tea with honey when I'm sick. Otherwise I just drink water.

Also sweet potatoes totally hadn't even occurred to me even though I gave them to Nikolas regularly for a while. I can roast a couple and save them for later or even cook them in the microwave if I need to. Maybe I'll even make up some mashed sweet potatoes. Hopefully I'll be able to get Nikolas to eat them too, picky as he is.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Can do sweet potato chips if you slice them thin then toss with coconut oil and salt. Can also use thicker ones as buns in place of bread to get some nutrients with those carbs. also Sweet potato hash (minus the eggs obviously).

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Mine was very nice. Spent the holiday weekend in Denver where it stayed in the 60's until the day we left when it dropped to low 20's. I got lots of steps in by going to museum and walked around one day and then the next went to the botanical gardens. For meals, I refused seconds and only ate a small piece of pie. On outings, I split lunches or skipped altogether. All in all I did fairly well. 

Received an early birthday present.... a hybrid elliptical / bicycle machine. Now to just put it together and have it work :)

How did everyone else's holiday go?  

I love thanksgiving. Having a much better plan for what i was going to eat and not eat and how much before the meal actually started, and all nicely logged in MFP really helped resist the temptation. I'm down 5 lbs so far total and having picked up a bit of muscle, probably decently close to my goal of losing 10lbs of fat in the 6 weeks. Up to 8 pull-ups. Getting 2 more before the end of the challenge will be tough, but hopeful. Need to make a point of doing as many as i can tomorrow before my 2 days of resting from them over the weekend. Haven't done my 1 mile runs as much as I'd like. Doing one today.