• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LadyGrey

Elaine's quest to slay the Archdemon!

With the Archdemon being my horrible eating habits. Ok so let's do this! I've been putting this post off long enough, been trying to figure out where to start. I introduced this to my husband and he has already been all over the forums. 

Well let's see, I've been the fat girl my whole life with the exception of a few years. Kinda tired of it but I'm a weight yo-yo and my main enemy is how I eat. Plus, I am in the early stages of having some serious problems in both of my knees. They are starting to hurt and they make god-awful crunching sounds. Because of that, my doctor told me I could no longer run -which is funny because I always hated it till recently. Being told by a doctor that you should no longer do something kinda sucks. Hard. I am terrified that eventually I may need knee surgery. I want to prolong that as long as possible and one of the best ways is to lose weight. 

I have so many changes I need to make that I easily get overwhelmed with choosing what to do and end up no where. Plus I am so focused on what I need to do and that I easily forget what I HAVE achieved. I think this is a great way for me to keep track of that. :) Just recently I have completely eliminated all artificial sweetener or sugar from my coffee and switched from sweet tea to unsweetened! I never thought I would tolerate either one but I stuck with it and now it's automatic and what I prefer. I have also learned to love sweet potatoes and order only water to drink if I am in a restaurant. 

For my first 6 week challenge here, I am going to work towards gaining more control over my eating habits. I am a BIG stress/boredom eater and my emotions lead me to food on a regular basis. I get both of those at my full-time desk job, so it can be tough to fight.

Quests
  • Eliminating harmful drinks and increase drinking water. Reeeally trying to stay away from the water mixers and the few sodas I occasionally drink. I usually run for a Pepsi on tough days. I have already been working on this, going on my second week now. Will aim for 3 glasses (or bottles) of plain water per day.
  • Destroy the Vending Machine Demon! I've tried to pretend all it's goodies are made of plastic or something - but I always find myself returning to it on days when I am stressed, feel the lowest, and just don't care. It's like an evil beast and the break room is it's lair and it KNOWS when I am at my weakest and it lures me in! I hate lure-in attacks >.> So this will be a start on working towards training my brain find an alternative, like a short walk to clear my head instead of filling my gut.

GOAL: Eat freggies or nuts as a daily snack. The only vending machine allowances are peanuts and water.  

​

• Walk or cardio at least 15 minutes for 4 days a week. Or continue to go to the gym with my husband on various lunch breaks.

Life Goal
Finish my current college course with an A! That way I will meet the requirements for my job to reimburse my full tuition for the semester.   :)
  • Like 1

Do you have a maximum limit that you'd like work from for both your soda and vending machine goal?  Like you're going to allow only 3 sodas a week or something like that.  This allows you some leeway while you're still figuring things out.

You might notice that someone has added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Adventurers to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

Do you have a maximum limit that you'd like work from for both your soda and vending machine goal?  Like you're going to allow only 3 sodas a week or something like that.  This allows you some leeway while you're still figuring things out.

Hi Blaidd :)

I do not have a maximum limit set because it is difficult to determine. I have already minimized my soda intake and found healthier alternatives but right now certain triggers are what lead me to grab a soda. For instance, I have a 4 hour class every Monday evening and when I leave I am always tempted to swing by McDonalds to grab the biggest Sprite I can get. I have tried to even take water to class with me to keep my thirst down. There are a few other triggers too, but not on a daily basis.

These triggers include more than just grabbing sodas, there are also food triggers as well. Right now, working on just one is a smaller step for me :) I have been doing well, I am just afraid that if i say I allow myself say 1 vending snack per week, I will see that as a reason to eat it. 

I did make some edits. I will try for 3 glasses of water per day, and at least 15 minute walks for 4 days a week. I think that is more specific and something i believe i can achieve.

• Like 1

Battle Report - Week 1

Well, it's Friday and I have made it an entire week without drinking a soda. {/cheer} :redface:  I have taken a liking to soda water drinks when I crave something fizzy, but I also haven't had those in some time. And my water intake has significantly increased since Halloween. :pirate: This weekend will be challenging tho. Home vs Work situations are 2 completely different beasts. I am focusing mostly on habits at work for now. 

I actually don't remember the last time I drank my "omg I can't even" soda. I want to say it was early last week or the week before that. Either way it is still an accomplishment :D I do know last weekend was very stressful because it was my brother's wedding and it was almost an entire weekend thing. Everywhere I turned there were soda offerings. And I turned down every single one! I even turned around for bottled water when I discovered the fridge FULL of free sodas! Managing to turn away from all that temptation during an extremely stressful time is a big achievement for me! GO WILLPOWER +1!

As for the Vending Machine Demon (or the Gluttony Demon, as I like to call it) - it's been a fairly easy fight this week. :) Except for when I saw zebra cakes the other day  :nightmare: It was a newly added treat....full of delicious sugar and icing. Instead I went back to my desk and ate a handful of pecans :) GO WILLPOWER +1 AGAIN! But the real challenge is when I am in my crazy hormonal mood swings :s  That will be the ultimate test. 

I have also taken to walking on my breaks for at least 15 minutes. Considering I sit on my butt at a desk all day, a bit of 15 minute walking is not a bad idea. Something I should do more often. Next challenge I will aim for two 15 minute walk breaks. I've had to take shorter lunch breaks this week, so on Monday and Tuesday (before I set my goals here) I managed to walk for almost 30 minutes at lunch on those days. 

• Like 1

Battle Report - Week 1, Part 2

I went for another 15 minute walk for my break and it was so nice outside! Better than sitting at my desk in a dark room! So that is one extra walk above my goal set for the week. *Go me!*  

Also some butt nugget has set out pizza and cookies in the break room. 

tHRGs9a.gif

• Like 1

There is such a massive difference between my behaviors at home vs work that it's almost like night and day. I didn't do so well on the eating healthy (gotta break that habit of snacking while gaming!), but I did maintain my goal of drinking 3 bottles of water each day. It wasn't easy either. Luckily I have great support from my husband. :) He stayed on me and made sure I was drinking plain water. Also, it's been over 2 weeks since I last had a soda :) I don't know if i should track that tho, because I don't want it to be an excuse for me to grab one  :neglected:

I know my second quest was originally kind of vague, then I added the more specific "GOAL" the day after making my original post. Since my weekend was shit on eating, I am going to keep with that goal while at work then incorporate 1 snack of freggies on Saturday and Sunday --starting this upcoming weekend. If I don't, I will find it as an excuse to eat whatever I want. I know the quest was mostly to eliminate the vending machine, but I will try to trickle some of my tactics into the weekends too for a daily consistency. I don't know if I am making this more difficult for myself, or maybe it just sounds difficult when I write it down. But in my mind, it makes sense. 

I think for my next 6 week challenge, I will have to incorporate more weekend/home quests. 

Campus Tour AKA Mini Dungeons - Week 1 SMART Mini Quest 

Your mini quest: Make sure your goals are definitely SMART.

(http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56359-campus-tour-aka-mini-dungeons-please-follow/)

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?  Yes, it is reasonable and achievable through small changes over a longer period of time. I have several terrible eating habits and I don't expect to change all of them at at once. 

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?  1.) Drinking more water per day, helps keep away the baddie drinks and curb my appetite just a bit. 2.) If i can break the vending machine, that will be six weeks of not mindlessly eating sugary honey buns and donuts. Setting a goal of 1 freggie or nut snack per day can help. 3.) Walking doesn't really apply to my main quest, but it is an alternative to distract my mind from excessive afternoon snacking. Plus it's a sanity walk, a break from my desk job and i get some movement in my body. Something for overall well-being so I don't snack out of boredom or depression.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Yes Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them? Considering the all the life changes I need to make, I believe these are small and reasonable enough.  

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked? Yes. What will you use to track them? Marking on my desk calendar:  "NV" - successfully no vending machine (unless it's water or peanuts), Water Tick Marks to show how many bottles of water I have been drinking, and writing which days i went for walks and for how long.  

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?  Pass/fail everyday is more like it. My reward will be a new-found confidence and feeling that I can have control over my appetite and not let it control me.  :) If I can make it 6 weeks without a soda or the vending machine snacks, I will feel awesome!

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? Drinking water is always a good thing! I don't have a plan for walking during injury or illnesses other than be cautious and take my vitamin c!

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? Thanksgiving is in this challenge :s  My family always serve tea or sodas so I plan on sticking to my water plan by taking my own bottle of water to refill as needed and going for a walk that day. 

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another? Nope and Nope.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set? Yes. 

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? Trying to build multiple habits, but putting a lot of willpower and focus into the 3 quests. If I feel overwhelmed, I will cut back on the others and will see about reintroducing them into my next challenge.

For completing this mini quest you will receive an additional +1WIS at the end of the 6 weeks.

Really wishing I would have called in sick to work so I could be home playing Dragon Age: Inquisition! But I am on vacation all next week so I'll have plenty of time. :)

Drinking all this water has interfered with my sleep because I am up at least twice a night going to the bathroom. Thinking I should drink more water in the earlier parts of the day and taper down towards the evening. I can tell it is making a difference tho. And no fizzy drink cravings at all today!

Also considering starting a quest tracking spreadsheet. So far it is all on my desk calendar but I will need something to track my progress while at home, too. 

• Like 1

Looks like you're doing well on your challenge so far! Oh, the vending machine. A tough foe. It's always just sitting there, so full of snacks. Good on you for fighting against it! And I bet focusing seperately on fixing your work habits and your home habits will make each of them easier to face. Good luck in your class, too. A full tuition reimbursement sounds some some pretty great motivation!

Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? Thanksgiving is in this challenge :s  My family always serve tea or sodas so I plan on sticking to my water plan by taking my own bottle of water to refill as needed and going for a walk that day. 

This is what my mom does! She has a refillable water bottle that she takes with her pretty much everywhere, and when we're at family gatherings it's always right by her. And she hasn't had a soda in years, so apparently it's a pretty good system.

• Like 1

Hi Robozebra! 

This is what my mom does! She has a refillable water bottle that she takes with her pretty much everywhere, and when we're at family gatherings it's always right by her. And she hasn't had a soda in years, so apparently it's a pretty good system.

Yeah I am hoping I can pass on the soda that day lol. Lets just hope I don't use it as an excuse to eat a ton of pie tho. "Oh l am cutting back on sodas, but I'm, allowed pie!" lol, gotta get out of that mentality. 

Thanks for stopping by!  :redface:

Went to the gym with my husband the past two days during my lunch breaks. I feel like a walking jello person. He killed my arms yesterday!  I bet I'll have more sore tomorrow, too.

Been snacking on nuts, fruits, and veggies at work, and the 15 minute walk is very refreshing :) Meeting my water goal every day. Not so great eating at home, but that will come in a later challenge. But at least at home I am still sticking to water and unsweet tea.

Had a brief encounter at the vending machine: something caught my eye and I had to do a double take. It's trying to lure me.   :hopelessness:  :uncomfortableness:

I wanted to do this earlier but I have been thinking of how I want to allot my first round of attribute points. I'm getting antsy! So if after the first 3 weeks, we are allowed 10 points right? I believe this is how I want to distribute them:

STR - 1   Been following my husband's strength routine at the gym a couple times a week. Tried my first deadlift too. 

DEX - 0   Haven't been working on anything in this category. 

STA - 1   Taking my walking into consideration.

CON - 3   All the water I have been drinking. And no sugary drinks. 

WIS - 1   Learned a lot already in these first couple of weeks. :)

CHA - 1  With all the posts and threads I have started to follow, at least one point can go to Charisma.

WIL - 3  This is Willpower. I wanted to add this because A.) I believe it is an important attribute to level (personally). 2.) It's also on Dragon Age:playful: 

Looks good so far! And I hear you on getting antsy about attribute points. I'm already starting to think about what I want to do on the next challenge, lol. It's awesome that you and your husband are going this together! I'm sure you're both able to help keep each other motivated.

Yes, I had to get onto him last night about one of his quests. :P I told him, "I'm gonna level up and get points and you won't!" He can be a super-competitive so that might have kicked him in gear a bit.  :encouragement: But he does so much better at all the fitness stuff than I do. 

• Like 1

The Firehouse 100+ Flavors Drink Machine

At lunch today I realized how I've gotten myself into mindless routines when I was standing face-to-face with that drink machine. Lately it's been water and unsweet tea no matter where I go. I hadn't eaten at Firehouse in so long that I was talking, enjoying myself, and not realizing I was going through the motions until I noticed I was staring the screen and a bajillion soft drinks choices. I went stupid. It didn't occur to me to look for unsweet tea beside the machine, it's like my brain was paralyzed as I was glancing over the drink options. I saw regular "water" but decided to try some Dasani Sensations flavored water. I am guessing it was soda water with artificial sweetener and flavoring because it tasted awful.   :(  I love soda water mixed with the right amount of fruits, but this had a bad, funky fake taste. I had a few sips and really didn't want to waste a drink, but I decided I shouldn't keep drinking it just because of that. The staff was nice enough to give me another cup and I went straight for the unsweet tea. I don't know why I just didn't do that in the first place. But I was pretty happy I made the switch instead of just settling with what I had. :)

Battle Report - Week 2

Wow, it seems like it's been longer than 2 weeks. :s  

It's been a rough one for walking. On Tuesday I forgot to go in the morning, then waited longer than usual for my husband to have the opportunity to meet me at the gym (no fault of his own, his job held him up and it was already after 2pm). I was so antsy to get in some movement that day, it went all kinds of crazy. BUT! I did make it to the gym. 

So it's Friday and I still need one more 15 minute walk either today or tomorrow. But the weather is BAD, so here is my plan: luckily for me, my job has a small gym with an elliptical. I can walk down there and do that for my 15 minute break/walk. That way I will meet my goal for the week. 

Other than that, it's been a great week. Eating healthy snacks at work, got in a lot of exercise, and told the vending machine to stop enticing me with it's cheap slutty pastries.

But at home... wow. So much fail when it comes to food. Will definitely need to work on that next challenge. But still drinking water and unsweet tea in the evenings.

Campus Tour AKA Mini Dungeon - Week 2 

Making Friends Mini Quest

Part 1 - Updating your signature 

Part 2:  Join an accountability group

Part 3: Support your fellow L1's

If you complete both parts of this challenge (either 1+2 or 1+3) then you will get an additional +1 CHA to allocate at the end of the 6 week challenge.

As for the week 2 mini, I had already worked on my signature the previous week. So that one down!  :)  For part 2 and 3, I started following my husband and a few other Level 0/1 Rebels. I also joined a few off-topic threads like Nerdmas Secret Santa 2014Handmade Holidays, and What's Everyone Reading. During this mini challenge week, I joined the Artistic and Creative Accountability group, started following one more fellow's thread, and updated my profile page.   :nevreness:

Battle Report - Week 3 

Thanksgiving and a Week Long Staycation

This is a little late but I just now got back in to my routine after being on looong vacation, and I needed it! Dealing with a challenge at home is way different than at work, especially when I haven't had a vacation in a looong time and I didn't want to give a crap about anything. I told myself I wasn't going to worry about anything other than my challenge and (I won’t lie) playing video games.

I did ok but not perfect. I ended up missing 2 walks and I drank only 2 bottles of water instead of 3 one day. If anything, I did turn one of my 15 minute walks into a playground climbing/swinging/Monkey Bar adventure with my kiddo. That was spontaneous fun. I made alternative plans to get myself back on track with the 2 walks I missed but didn't follow through. As much as I despise the day-to-day, not having a routine really throws everything out of whack.

Today I am back into my routine and doing well. 3+ bottles of water and 15 min. walks on my break the past 2 days. Getting very few cravings for fizzy drinks while at work. 

My knee is starting to give me discomfort more frequently. It's a 1 on the pain scale, but it's nearly everyday now. :(  And the crackling is really starting to get to me, it sounds horrid!  All I did yesterday and today was a 15 min walk and elliptical cardio and it's getting sore. I tried to do a knee stretch and it didn't help, just made it feel worse.

Battle Report – Week 4

Drinking water at work has now become incredibly easy. I was right when I said having a daily routine helps me stay on track, especially with the walking. I didn’t have a routine while on vacation and it threw me off bad.  And I am proud to say that I have been SODA FREE since before Halloween! Ordering unsweet tea instead of Dr. Pepper at every drive thru has become easier as well. Never thought I would tolerate unsweet tea lol, but it’s slowly becoming the norm J   YAY!!!

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having a small water bottle with me everywhere I go. It was a godsend at Thanksgiving.

I finally hit a vending machine wall tho, but not as bad as it seems. J As a matter of fact, I am kind of proud of how well I handled this. I woke up late this morning and had to get to work without breakfast. Normally I have healthy options in my desk but I have ran out and not yet made it to the store. I have to have a high protein item or I will have the jitters by 10:30 and I did allow myself a “Peanuts only†rule from the vending machine if necessary. But I was afraid of even approaching it for fear of being intimidated by the sugary pastry items. But as luck played out, a coworker was awesome enough to grab the peanuts for me on the way to the break room. Crisis averted and good protein problem solved. J

Week 4: "Checking your starting credits"  Mini Quest

I've kinda already started this a few posts up and decided to follow the way the mini quest says. I like it better anyway lol. Also, I am using an extra stat -  Willpower (WIL). 

1. Goal Allocations

Q1: 3 bottles of water per day -No sodas or sugary drinks - WIL x 2, CON x 1

Q2: Tell Vending machine Demon to F-off, eat nuts and freggies. -  WIL x 2, CON x1

Q3: Walk 15 minutes x 4 days/week - STA x 1, CON x 1

LQ - Finish college course with an A. - Been working hard! A (100%) WIS x 1, CHA x 1

2 Mid Challenge Summary

Q1: 3 bottles of water per day -No sodas or sugary drinks - A (98%) Missed one bottle of water one day, but no sodas at all!

Q2: Tell Vending machine Demon to F-off, eat nuts and freggies. - A (100%)

Q3: Walk 15 minutes x 4 days/week - (90 %)   (21 days - 2 days)/21 OH GOD MATH @.@ It burns!) I threw in some extra gym time more days than missed, so I think that should count as a bonus quest!

LQ - Finish college course with an A. - Been working hard! A (100%)

3. Challenge Allocation

Q1: OH GOD MORE MATH  :nightmare:  I'm just keeping to whole numbers, lol. +2 WIL, +1 CON

Q2: +2 WIL, +1 CON

Q3: +1 STA, 1 CON 

LQ: +1 WIS, +1 CHA

And HELLO LEVEL 1! :D

Mini Quest Updates (found here.)

Mini quest # 3 (better late than never?)

1. I have bad knees with cringing crepitus and cannot perform normal squats, lunges, etc. Been troubling me so I needed to find alternatives.

2. I researched some leg exercises that are easier on the knees. They are herehere, and here

3. Already started to apply the partial squats and backwards lunges. Tried them at the gym yesterday and my knees are not sore! HUZZAH!

(I will assign a +1 WIS i guess if I do not get a reply on which attribute point I can take.)

Mini Quest #4 - Already did and posted. See above.

Week 5: Preparations for Family day

You've slogged so hard and we're reaching the end of our campus tour, so it's drawing time for family day. We've been working so hard that some of us might even have neglected a family member or two, while orientating ourselves around Nerd Fitness Campus.  As the festive season is approaching, it's time to impress our friends and family with our new found skills and host them for an outing. 

Your task this week is to tidy up in anticipation of visiting family/friends or impending festivities. Pick one area (whether in your home, your office or your life) and get rid of the clutter.  Not only will you have more space to entertain, you'll have some more headspace to work with (you'll feel free).

Decluttering this week will earn you +1 WIS

Mini Quest week #5 - Oh I HAVE to be all over this because we are expecting Christmas guests next Monday and they are staying for a few weeks, so we have to get our extra rooms decluttered and beds prepped. Will be doing it all this weekend.