Solstice Tiger, gearing up to be a superhero

Yay, here's my first Six Week Challenge!

I've been interested in the process of becoming a superhero since I got more into the Marvel universe after the Avengers movie dropped. And, with a few exceptions, the superheroes I love most are those without superpowers to speak of. Just regular people who have become extraordinary, like Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Robin. I'm not thinking of taking up vigilante justice or anything, but the thought of being able to do just about anything I want to do is pretty enticing. Having the strength and mobility to get any job done would be pretty awesome. So that's my really, really big eventual goal. But I've take it down a notch for these first quests.

Main Quest:

In about 2-3 years, my uncle wants to take a group of 14 people to Finland to participate in the Sulkavan Suursoudut, which is some sort of 70km, two-day rowing adventure. I've been interested in Finland for a while (they put out some killer music over there), so I'm excited to get over there!

Quest 1:

Do beginner bodyweight circuit 2-3 times per week.

I'm going to need full body strength for rowing, so I need to start somewhere.

Quest 2:

Do a stretch routine in the mornings when I get up, at least 3 times per week. I find I feel better, more alert, and experience fewer lower back pains when I stretch in the mornings. (And still I usually don't. Go figure.)

Life Quest:

Do the dishes.

At work, put all dishes in the dishwasher as they are created.

At home, put all dishes in the dishwasher as they are created. Empty the dishwasher as soon as it is done. Hand wash the rest of the dishes at least once a week.

Motivation:

Clint Barton. Seriously. Well, him and the others mentioned above. Becoming a superhero. Slowly watching myself be able to take on greater things. Slow is hard, but this six week challenge, where I have this thread and other people watching me, should be a really helpful start and a good way to really dig into the process of becoming a superhero, instead of sitting on the sidelines and saying, "Man, I wish I could do that."

So that's me! 

• Like 2

Level 5 Human Assassin

Current Challenge: x

Previous Challenges: 4 3 2 1

"Iron Man's got a suit, and the Hulk's pretty strong. And Thor he's like a god, and me I'm just a guy... Just a regular guy in a not so regular world. What's a man to do when I know I'm just a regular guy in a not so regular world?...They're like 'Yo, ain't you that Hawkguy dude?' And I'm like, Nah, you got me confused."

- from "Hawkguy", Adam WarRock

wow a 70km rowing adventure.  It sounds awesome (and hectic on your upper body).

You might notice that someone has added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Scouts to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thanks!! I'm looking forward to this.

The Scouts were definitely a guild I had looked at, along with the Assassins (which will come up more in later challenges, I think).

Level 5 Human Assassin

"Iron Man's got a suit, and the Hulk's pretty strong. And Thor he's like a god, and me I'm just a guy... Just a regular guy in a not so regular world. What's a man to do when I know I'm just a regular guy in a not so regular world?...They're like 'Yo, ain't you that Hawkguy dude?' And I'm like, Nah, you got me confused."

Hi Solstice Tiger!

I'm starsapart, one of the Ambassadors for the Assassins Guild. It looks like you've expressed an interest in our guild, and you have some goals and activities in common with a number of our members.  We'd love to help you reach and exceed your goals - and amaze yourself if you so desire!  We're always here to talk bodyweight work with you - and more!  There are quite a few folks among us aiming for superhero awesomeness. ;)

If you think you might be interested in what our guild has to offer, here's a link to the Assassins' Guild Info & Announcements thread. You can also feel free to pop into the Assassins' Den guild chat thread and get in on the fun.  Everyone's friendly and glad to answer questions - or spam your inbox with gifs, either or, really.  You can also stop by the Assassin Initiates thread to meet other level 1 rebels who may share your interests.  The Assassin Phonebook is another great resource where you can find guild members whose interests might match your own.  Feel free to message or follow these people for assistance and inspiration!

If you ever have any questions or need help, myself and my colleagues are here for you, and I'd love to chat with you anytime!  Feel free to visit my challenge thread or send me a note via the PM system.

My fellow Ambassadors and I will be checking in on you as the challenge goes on, but it looks like you're ready and eager to go.  So get out there and assassinate kill those goals!     :ph34r: 

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Sulkavan Suursoudut sounds like an amazing adventure. I'm big fan of the foam roller for stretching and warm ups, it can be like a mini massage. 

I'm definitely a fan of massages! I'll have to look into that since some of my back muscles can get really grumpy.

Hi starsapart! Thanks! I will definitely go lurk over there for a while :)

• Like 1

Level 5 Human Assassin

So far so good! Though it's always easiest for the first little while, for me anyway. My motivation usually starts to wane after a couple weeks when the novelty of doing something new or different has worn off.

Week 1 Quest Log:

Quest 1 -- circuit completed Wednesday and Saturday

Quest 2 -- stretch routine completed Thursday and Sunday

Life Quest -- dishes done every day at work. Washed all dishes Sunday morning at home.

Success!

For Week 2, I'll be aiming at 3x/week for the circuit and stretching.

Level 5 Human Assassin

Okay wow first of all, congratz on the first week! Second of all: Clint Barton? Dude I love u already. Also very flattered atm. Thank u for your kind words about finland! (we finns get excited about anyone even mentioning us xD)

Definitely subbing for more awesomeness :D

^_^ I've had a crush on Finland for years now! I'll be super super excited when I get to actually go visit.

Woo! Another Clint fan! That's exciting :) I'm doing a happy dance over here!

• Like 1

Level 5 Human Assassin

Quest Log: November 17

Quest 1: completed bodyweight circuit (3x)

squats: 2x20, 1x10

pushups: 2x2 toe pushups, x8 knee pushups, 1x10 knee pushups

lunges: 2x20, 1x10

dumbbell rows: 3x12 each arm

plank: 3x25 seconds

jumping jacks: 3x30

Quest 2: completed stretch routine this morning

Life Quest: put all dishes in dishwasher at work.

Level 5 Human Assassin

I knew I had to check out your challenge once I saw your avatar; the current Hawkeye comic is a-mazing.  Wish more comics were like it.

Also good job on your challenge so far and that Finland event looks awesome and sure to be great motivation!  Adventure ahoy!

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

I knew I had to check out your challenge once I saw your avatar; the current Hawkeye comic is a-mazing.  Wish more comics were like it.

Also good job on your challenge so far and that Finland event looks awesome and sure to be great motivation!  Adventure ahoy!

Aaah, yes! I love Fraction's run. I'm currently still working though volume three, reading slowly so that maybe when I'm done with it, volume four will be out. And then I'll have to see about going back in time and reading some of the older Hawkeye comics. Though everything gets a bit confusing once you start going further into things with people showing up for one issue here and two issues there...

Love the Avengers inspiration! You must be looking forward to the next movie xD Good luck with the quest, and Finland sounds awesome :o I've never heard of that challenge before!

Hehe, I think I will always look forward to superhero movies!

I hadn't heard of it either! I was at my uncle's house a few weekends back and he just casually asked me how much experience rowing I had (pretty much none, unless you count a couple attempts with a rowing machine in college) and if I'd like to go to Finland anyway. He didn't even tell me what it was called; I had to Google "Finland 70km rowing," lol! So I'll be talking to him about it at Thanksgiving to make sure I have a spot on the boat. My uncle is really good at following through with ideas; he once biked around a lot of the United States and he's taken up the unicycle and ukelele. So I'm counting on him to go through with this, too!

• Like 2

Level 5 Human Assassin

Aaah, yes! I love Fraction's run. I'm currently still working though volume three, reading slowly so that maybe when I'm done with it, volume four will be out. And then I'll have to see about going back in time and reading some of the older Hawkeye comics. Though everything gets a bit confusing once you start going further into things with people showing up for one issue here and two issues there...

I for one would love to see a Hawkeye movie (or better yet a TV show) with a similar vibe as Fraction's run; an action comedy that gets more to what it is like to be a normal guy with a bow teaming up with gods and men in power suits and what life is like in the downtime.  I think that would be amazing.

Also, the song in your signature = hilarious.

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

I for one would love to see a Hawkeye movie (or better yet a TV show) with a similar vibe as Fraction's run; an action comedy that gets more to what it is like to be a normal guy with a bow teaming up with gods and men in power suits and what life is like in the downtime.  I think that would be amazing.

Also, the song in your signature = hilarious.

I WOULD WATCH A TV SHOW SO HARD omg. It could be a half-sitcom, half-deadly peril show, with cameos by everybody. And it might have to be on HBO or something because Deadpool would need to make some appearances...

Ehehehehe, I loooove that song. It's on a playlist I put on every time I work out and whenever it comes on I just start dancing like a lunatic. It makes me so happy. :D

Level 5 Human Assassin

I WOULD WATCH A TV SHOW SO HARD omg. It could be a half-sitcom, half-deadly peril show, with cameos by everybody. And it might have to be on HBO or something because Deadpool would need to make some appearances...

There's a new Hawkeye and Deadpool comic that just started, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. And yes, I'm with you 100% with the HBO. There's no way a show like this could be successful on network TV. :P

Level 2 Human Hero (in training) 
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

There's a new Hawkeye and Deadpool comic that just started, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. And yes, I'm with you 100% with the HBO. There's no way a show like this could be successful on network TV. :tongue:

I must needs get my hands on it too!! I've seen images from it floating around the internet and it looks AMAZING. I'm hoping for comics gift cards for Christmas, haha.

Level 5 Human Assassin

Quest Log from Nov 18 (I went to bed instead of writing this and I'm OK with that):

Quest 1: Rest day for bodyweight circuit

Quest 2: completed stretch routine in the morning

Life Quest: put all applicable dishes both at work and home into the dishwasher

So I discovered this morning (the 19th) that drinking a large glass of water in the morning when I stumble out of bed and into the kitchen also helps wake me up. Handy! Hydration and alertness. Whodathunk.

• Like 3

Level 5 Human Assassin

So I discovered this morning (the 19th) that drinking a large glass of water in the morning when I stumble out of bed and into the kitchen also helps wake me up. Handy! Hydration and alertness. Whodathunk.

That is very handy. And so much easier to make than coffee. ;)

Awesome job on week 1! And you look to be off to a good start on week 2!  :victorious: Keep it up! 

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

Hi Solstice,

Me and my youngest love the Avengers movie and to be fair any of the super hero movies. My daughter would love for me to train to be as strong as the Hulk, but personally I'd rather go for a Captain America vibe.

I've included strength training in my first challenge, but I've gone for a single daily strength exercise (e.g Mon - press ups, Tues - squats, Wed - pull ups, etc.)

Seems like you're doing well so far  :pride:

Paul

Bucket List Geek

Level 0 Human Adventurer

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 

A New Adventure: Baby Steps

Spartan Plank PVP

"There is a lot more in him than you guess, and a deal more than he has any idea of himself." ~ Gandalf, The Hobbit

That is very handy. And so much easier to make than coffee. ;)

Awesome job on week 1! And you look to be off to a good start on week 2!  :victorious: Keep it up! 

Much easier! Though I have a Keurig machine, so coffee is already pretty easy. But water is still easier.

Thanks! I'm feeling good; it's a little strange that I feel so accomplished by putting the dishes in the dishwasher every day, but I like it.

Hi Solstice,

Me and my youngest love the Avengers movie and to be fair any of the super hero movies. My daughter would love for me to train to be as strong as the Hulk, but personally I'd rather go for a Captain America vibe.

I've included strength training in my first challenge, but I've gone for a single daily strength exercise (e.g Mon - press ups, Tues - squats, Wed - pull ups, etc.)

Seems like you're doing well so far  :pride:

Paul

Cap is a good one for all of us to go for, I think. Well-rounded physically and a stand-up guy.

I may change my workouts in later challenges, but I'm just easing back into actually working on muscles. I like the idea of doing one exercise or one muscle group per day; I feel like I might not get as bored with my workouts if I did that. Something new to look forward to every day instead of the same old circuit thing.... That's something to consider. Thanks!

Good luck with your challenge!  I just got into the Fraction Hawkeye run and it's become one of my favorite superhero arcs, so I had to check out your challenge when I saw the avatar!

I think that there's only one thing everyone in the world can agree on, and that's that Fraction's Hawkeye run was a gift to mankind. I'm so happy to see so many other people here who've picked up the series. We are legion!

Level 5 Human Assassin

Quest Log Nov 19 (now in color!)

Quest 1: completed bodyweight circuit (3x)

3x20 squats

3x2 toe pushups, 2x8 knee pushups

3x20 lunges

3x12 dumbbell rows

3x25 second planks

3x30 jumping jacks

I'm pleased with myself that I was able to do three full circuits today instead of two and a bit like Monday. The thrill of being able to do more than I did Monday kept me going through some of those planks and pushups!

Quest 2: did not stretch this morning

Life Quest: put the dishes in the dishwasher!

The work dishwasher was run when I left this afternoon and I'll put those nice clean dishes away in the morning when I get there.

It's really incredible (really really) how good it feels to put the dishes into the dishwasher. I think it satisfies my inner clean freak/perfectionist to have things put where they're supposed to go instead of lying all over the counter. It puts a little shiny sparkle onto every day. *happy sigh*

• Like 4

Level 5 Human Assassin

Awesome work on the circuits, and the DISHES!

And I'm echoing all the previous praise for your avatar—I was at the Disney Avengers Half-Marathon (NOT running, but...) last weekend and was totally inspired by everyone getting it done... many of them in full superhero alter-ego costumes! 

level 4 medusa monk

STR 6 | STA 5 | DEX 5 | CON 6 | WIS 6 | CHA 4

challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (current)

myfitnesspal | fitbit | habitrpg

sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc