• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

shesavedtheworldalot

Let's take another stab at this

I participated in my first challenge last challenge session, and stuck with it for almost three weeks, and then life got out of control and I lost focus.  Really want to make it work out this time, so I'm trying again.  Maybe this time I'll get out of Level I?  (I really hope so!)  My goals remain relatively the same, with some mods to make them more "I work 11 hours a day and have to keep my home running" friendly.

My MAIN QUEST is to decrease from 31% body fat (current) to 25% body fat.  I know lots of people go lower than this, and that it's perfectly healthy to do so, but I want to see how that feels before I set a new goal.  

In order to achieve this, I will:
--Participated in structured workouts AT LEAST 3x/week.  Last challenge, I found out that I really enjoy yoga and it's a great balance to strength training.  (Nice, long, slow stretches, plus many yoga poses are the same thing you do in strength training, but with less movement.)  Would I like to get to the gym/my mat more than that?  Yes, of course, but it's not feasible right now. 

--6 servings of freggies every day.  This is not SO hard, as long as I focus on keep my plates colorful and interesting.  To wit, it's 6:30 am, and I'm already 2 in.  (Tomatoes and onions in a steak omelette.  I'm all about omeletting leftovers.)

--64 ounces of water EVERY DAY.  This one kills me.  Battle plan is to fill up my giant work cup once before lunch and once after lunch.  That will get me to 48 oz. without really trying.  So if I drink a glass when I wake up and a glass with dinner, I've made it.  Or two glasses after work, since I require morning coffee at this time of year.  (Cold and dark?  Ugh.  Gross.)

Side Life Quest:

Spend at least one hour a week practicing music.  I've cleared out a space in the apartment for my flute and music stand, and dug out my stack of music that I haven't played in forever.  20-30 minutes a couple days per week will get me through this one easily, and it's so good for my stress level which tends to go through the roof this time of year.  

I'm going to work hard at this this time, and to track it, I'm going to print off a calendar to keep myself honest.  Star each day (in different colors) days I manage the water and veggies goal, and check mark for workouts.  I'll note the time of my music practice.  I think why I failed last time was because I did not actually keep track of my successes/failures, and thus could not analyze why I had succeeded or failed.  

Let's do this!!

(And here's some StarKidPotter for all of you.  Hermione is my hero.)

post-32315-0-09627000-1415878701_thumb.g

• Like 1

Hey there fellow HP fan/kindred spirit. In order to help with your water challenge/because I'm evil like that I've decided to pester you to add a new rule to your challenge - every time someone posts a Hermione gif to your thread you have to go get a glass of water. 

*Aguamenti*
tumblr_m72sb4guCq1rw4nn4o1_500.gif

Sorry, the rule is now in place and there is nothing you can do about it. Drink up! 

How have the first few days been going for you, any mat time or other workouts yet? I've always wanted to get into yoga but I'm finding it kind of hard, probably because I'm stiff as a board. If you have any recommendations for good youtube videos for a relative beginner (who, again, is stiff as a board. I know people tend to say this and then when you talk to them it turns out they actually are really flexible, but trust me, I can't even touch my toes with my knees straight) let me know! So far I like Sarah Beth yoga (I think that's how she spells it) for her rest/relaxation routines, but I need something I can use to better my flexibility over the next 6 weeks.

• Like 1

welcome back.  I am glad to see that you've had a look at your life as it is now and how you are able to fit things in around your life.  Once you've figured that out you will find it much easier to stick to things.  Also tracking physically instead of having to log into something to track, makes it a little easier.

You might notice that someone has added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Druids to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

Hey there fellow HP fan/kindred spirit. In order to help with your water challenge/because I'm evil like that I've decided to pester you to add a new rule to your challenge - every time someone posts a Hermione gif to your thread you have to go get a glass of water. 

*Aguamenti*

Sorry, the rule is now in place and there is nothing you can do about it. Drink up! 

How have the first few days been going for you, any mat time or other workouts yet? I've always wanted to get into yoga but I'm finding it kind of hard, probably because I'm stiff as a board. If you have any recommendations for good youtube videos for a relative beginner (who, again, is stiff as a board. I know people tend to say this and then when you talk to them it turns out they actually are really flexible, but trust me, I can't even touch my toes with my knees straight) let me know! So far I like Sarah Beth yoga (I think that's how she spells it) for her rest/relaxation routines, but I need something I can use to better my flexibility over the next 6 weeks.

I totally did it!  Yesterday, when I got the email, lol.  I was in a meeting though, and was trying to very quietly suck down 8 oz of water out of my giant cup.  I definitely got a look of, "What are you doing?  You can't be that thirsty," from my boss.  

I haven't been getting a ton of mat time.  I've been using it to stretch after strength training (especially a couple days after squats when my hamstrings are getting supertight) and a little before bed.  The breathing exercises have been great for dealing with long work hours and frustrations.  I finally understood yesterday why the directions for downward dog always say that you're holding your weight on your HANDS instead of your feet.  It feels totally different.  I should have pushed it farther and tried to take one leg off the mat and up, but there's always next time!

I like the videos by Kanta Barrios that are on Amazon Instant.  This is her website http://innersplendoryoga.com/, but I typically just find free videos on online streaming services.  Hers are great for beginners.  I'm really inflexible in most places too.  Can't touch my toes, can barely get my fingertips to the floor when I'm in a wide stance.  I do have a flexible spine though, so that's a nice start, and I'm pretty strong, so it's fun to do those strength poses and then work on deepening them for balance and flexibility improvement.

Here are some questions to put your goals to the test:

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?  Yes.  It's healthy and achievable, possibly over the next six months to one year.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?  I think I'm good here.  They're really tiny beginner steps, and I'm good with that, especially with as busy as I'm going to be this holiday season.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?  I don't really think I could.  Less than that would be more backsliding into bad habits than trying to move forward.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?  YES!  This is where I failed last time.  I have a calendar that I'm going to keep on my fridge at home, like a kindergartener with a chore chart.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?  Yes.  I went out of my way this time to make sure I assigned "grades" for all of my goals.  I receive "grades" for each of my goals every day, and then at the end of the week, assign myself a % grade for the work.  At the end of the challenge, I'll average all those grades and give myself a grade.  90% or above is an A and is rewarded with a brand new outfit that I love regardless of price, 80% or above is a B and I can have two new articles of clothing, 70% or above is 1 article of clothing that I ABSOLUTELY NEED.  (I'm really going to have to buy new pants regardless.  They're getting too big.)  Any less than 70%, and I fail the challenge.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  I'll just modify what I consider "passing".

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?  Thanksgiving weekend will be difficult, but I can still exercise at home, and I'll just really focus on veggies and lean turkey during dinner.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?  Nope, we're good!

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?  God, I hope so.  The water and veggies can be built into my day.  The exercise is something I'm going to have to insist on taking some "me time" for.  It's very difficult for me to insist that I need time for myself, but I'm going to try for it.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest.  I think I'm trying to build a few good habits, but all those habits are in support of my main quest!

• Like 1

First of all, your username is awesome. Buffy is amazing. Just absolutely amazing. :D

Anyway, you're challenge looks really doable, despite your busy life. That is awesome! Kick butt! :D

I may have to steal your list there....

Good luck with your challenge! A tip for water, set an alarm on your phone that vibrates to remind you to drink. That way it's always on your mind! I made mine a calendar request so I see it on my phone and on my computer.

:)

Good luck with your challenge! A tip for water, set an alarm on your phone that vibrates to remind you to drink. That way it's always on your mind! I made mine a calendar request so I see it on my phone and on my computer.

:)

That's a really good idea.  I always have a hard time getting enough water in on the weekends.  I'm going to start that RIGHT now!

I am just terrible about updating these types of things.

Things are going well.  I had a 96% success rate on the first week, and a 97% success rate on the second week of the challenge.  This week is going....not so great.  I'm pretty tired this week and with everything happening in the world, I'm stressing out over the holidays.  (I'm pretty liberal, and my dad's family is SUPER conservative.  Like, get all their information from FoxNews conservative.)  I tend to stuff my face to keep my mouth closed during big family get togethers, and it's making me nervous about staying in line with the good eating habits I've been working so hard to develop.

Exercise is going well.  I hit a 155 pound squat last week.  Fine, my form wasn't perfect, but only because I was a little terrified and thought I would for sure go down in flames in front of everyone.  Or die the world's most squished death.  I did not.  Huge confidence booster.  

Honestly, making sure I practice music is the hardest goal.  It's so depressing to see how much of my hard won technique I've lost.  I spent half an hour the other day just trying to make sure my tone wasn't crappy, and I never really felt "in the zone" about it.  I just didn't hate it a whole ton.

So that's everything.  Things have been going well, Thanksgiving has been rough, and Clariel was delivered by my friendly Amazon distributor, via the postal service today, so getting to my workout will be hard when all I want to do is curl up with a good book!

Haha, I hear you on books interfering with things you should be doing... I started reading "A Discovery of Witches" and even though the love story is a bit sappy and Twilight-y at times, I find overall storyline very engaging which is making it VERY hard for me to go to bed on time. Just ooooooone more chapter *poof* how is it 3 AM already?!

Aaagghhh!!!  I've heard A Discovery of Witches is so GOOD.  It's definitely on my "To Be Read" pile.  (Which is huge and grows all the time, and I will probably never finish before I die, because by the time I get around to READING a book on it, I've added five more.  Which is saying something because I read really fast, I just never have the time to do it anymore.)  And I hear you on the "getting to bed on time" thing, though for me it's getting to work on time.  I can't just leave for work in the middle of a chapter!  This means that I am almost always a couple minutes behind.  Luckily, as long as I make it in by 6:45 am, my boss doesn't care TOO much!

I gave up on Discovery of Witches for the aforementioned Twilightiness... I really, really wanted to like it, because the general premise was so good. Witches are my favorite fantasy theme. The author is actually coming to the bookstore down the street this weekend.

Anyway. :)

Glad you're getting back to the challenge... and it's gonna be totally awesome! [Attempt at StarKid reference complete.]