forkboy’s Journey to Dagobah Reaches Half Way (4 of 8)

forkboy

forkboy’s Journey to Dagobah Reaches Half Way (4 of 8)

I won’t bore you with my background, there is loads of it in links in my siggy if you are so inclined.

Main Quest—I want to get to a sub 20% Body Fat mark.  My Quest started over 30% BF and over 200 lbs and I am just under 25% now and ~180 lbs, so hopefully I am about half way.  I plan on completing 8 continuous Challenges, this being my 4th in a row.  I use challenge rewards as my “carrot†along the way.  Here is my Journey to Dagobah summary plan:   
aaa.PNGbbb.PNG

Goal 1 = fitness

My goal is 5 days a week of some sort of exercise.  I currently do sprints, weightlifting (full body mixing in pull and push), bodyweight work/mobility, and running.  I do three days of weight lifting and one day of bodyweight work/mobility and then 1-2 days of running and/or sprints.  Some weeks I will get 6 days of work in, but I don’t like the added pressure of always trying to hit 6, sometimes my body is just not in the mood for 6 full days (also work can tend to screw me up at times and make 6 nearly impossible).

Goal 1 Evaluation

Daily eval is 1 point for workout and 0 points for no workouts, cumulative grading explained below.

I’ve stopped tracking the role-playing stuff, but will reward myself with points as explained below.

Goal 2 = diet

I will log all food into myfitnesspal and my nutrient goals will be 1,700 calories on most days and up to 2,000 calories on days when I lift weights, with a 170g protein minimum and up to 200g on weight lifting days.  I will blend in the rest of my calories with healthy fats and clean carbs (beans and rice are okay, but no processed sugars).  I tend to try and balance CHO/FAT/PRO at 30%/30%/40%, but don’t sweat the mix, so long as my protein is okay.  (Well in reality alcohol will eat a couple % points out of CHO and FAT too.)  

I will focus on mostly lean meats, veggies and fruits again trying to avoid processed foods, junk foods, and foods high in bad fats and refined sugars.  I will use whey protein as a supplement as needed but try to get almost all the protein from lean meats where possible.

Goal 2 Evaluation

Daily eval is 1 point for hitting targets and 0 points for missing, cumulative grading explained below.

Goal 3 = rest

It has been working nicely for me, so work nights (Su-Thurs) my curfew will be 9:45pm, with 15-30 minutes of reading before lights out.

Goal 3 Evaluation

Daily eval is 1 point for hitting target 0 points for points for missing, cumulative grading explained below.

Diet/Fitness Side Quest = chin-ups

I want to complete 10 unassisted chin-ups before the end of the challenge.  No kipping, from dead position.

Diet/Fitness Side Quest Evaluation

Eval is A = complete, F = not complete.

Life Side Quest = get outside

Spend at least 15 minutes a day walking or sitting in mindful presence outside.  The weather is amazing this time of year, so this one shouldn’t be too hard.

Life Quest Evaluation

Daily eval is 1 point for hitting target 0 points for points for missing, cumulative grading explained below.

Formatting/Tracking Note:

For daily completion I will give myself 1 point for each success.  Each goal is noted G1, G2, G3, FQ and LQ.  Each goal has available points per day, week, and a total for the entire challenge.

G1 possible points 24, A = 27/30

G2 possible points 42, A = 38/42

G3 possible points 30, A = 27/30

FG all or nothing A = 1/1

LG all or nothing A = 38/42

5 As = Two new pair of pants and two new ties.  (My weight loss has my work pants looking a bit like Hammer pants these days.)

4 As = One pair of pants and one tie.

No rewards for anything less than 4 As.
Bonus:  I am approaching my less than 175 lbs goal I have been at for a long time.  If I hit that number I will be getting a new coi fish tattoo.

Initial Measurements:

[These are dated and I went on vacation and added weight since then, but oh well...]

Weight:  180.3 lbs
Avg BF:  24.4%
Waist at Widest Point:  34.8 inches

My motivation is to meet my potential as a husband, father, and general member of my various communities.  Plus my doctor recently told me I need to lose weight.

• Like 3

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

This machine keeps going...

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Whooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo!!!! You're Here! :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant::cheerful:

So glad to see you ready to kick butt on another challenge!  :)

I am sooo in awe of that graph above. It appeals to my sense of all things organized on so many levels. :wub:

I'm sub'd, of course, and I'm really sorry for going missing last challenge......last couple of challenges ( :rolleyes: ), but it is my full intent to be here more for my friends this round.  :)

Be awesome my friend! 8hugs8 :cheerful:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Whew! For a minute I had thought we had lost you again - that well-earned trip had slipped my mind. :redface-new:

Glad to see that you're keeping up the good work! All those lovely green boxes on your master plan... :encouragement:

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

This machine keeps going...

Let's hope so. Thanks man.

Whooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo!!!! You're Here! :cheerful:

So glad to see you ready to kick butt on another challenge!  :)

I am sooo in awe of that graph above. It appeals to my sense of all things organized on so many levels. :wub:

I'm sub'd, of course, and I'm really sorry for going missing last challenge......last couple of challenges ( :rolleyes: ), but it is my full intent to be here more for my friends this round.  :)

Be awesome my friend! 8hugs8 :cheerful:

Thanks buddy!  I hope to swing by the crew soon...

Whew! For a minute I had thought we had lost you again - that well-earned trip had slipped my mind. :redface-new:

Glad to see that you're keeping up the good work! All those lovely green boxes on your master plan... :encouragement:

Boomsticks and chainsaws.  Boomsticks and chansaws!  The trip almost had me lost again too. ;)

Looks awesome. Love your comment about your work pants looking like "hammer pants." Your rewards make very good sense.

Thanks bunches.  It would be funnier if it weren't true. :)

• Like 1

k, so week 1 summary:

Macros 5/7 (I was still on vacation the first two days of this challenge, so that just is what it is, but it also means that I need perfect scores short of Thanksgiving from here on out).

Fitness 5/5

Rest 5/5 (vacation made sleeping enough easy)

Chin-ups (8x, close already, but not quite there)

Outside time 7/7 (vacation helped there too)

Alright, so my weight went up a bit due to my hedonism of vacation, but I am back at it in full force and it seems to have come back down.  Let's crush this 'sum bitch!

• Like 3

PS - Sorry for slacking on my posts and on getting to all your threads, crazy week getting back from vacation, then I was out of town again last weekend.  Normalcy returns a bit this week, then of course T-day will throw me off probably.

• Like 1

Looks like my weight is back down from my weekend away splurge, so happy about that.  Other than that no major news to report that I can think.  I'm having that feeling again where the consistency of my routine results in few things to report.  I may just switch to a weekly summary, not sure at this point.  

I am eagerly awaiting an update to my training routine from my coach this week.  I have agreed to participate in my first power lifting meet in May and his new routine is supposed to be set to get me there, so I am pretty excited about that.  I have gone to my two lifting sessions this week but didn't notice my phone had completely powered down when I plugged it in Monday night so no alarm and no running Tuesday-I will have to make it up this weekend.  

It is dark and cold now the motivation to run at 5am takes all my willpower.  I have to 'suit up' which is kind of fun, but I don't enjoy encountering coyote packs while I am out or the first mile of actually getting my temperature up to where I can stand the cold.  I know the coyotes are harmless, but it is alarming nonetheless when I am listening to music and then I just see a group of eyes staring back at me from the bushes in the dark all reflective-like because of my head lamp.  They seem undeterred by me squirting water in their general direction too, which is also unnerving.

Read the NF post on the 'Sorting Hat' today and the link through to the Reddit TIFU of the Aussie 49 year old and was moved.  I too have family responsibilities and have abandoned some goals since my youth, but I hope I won't feel like my life has slipped away when I approach 50.  One of the things my wife and I are prioritizing is our spending toward vacations.  This year we have gone to Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, and Santa Barbara and will travel during the holidays to see family.  Next year we are planning for New Orleans (our old stomping grounds) and southern Mississippi (her hometown) and then another trip to Hawaii.  If I want to plow my money toward something, travel with family seems like a worthy cause.  Those posts reaffirmed my beliefs.  Toodles.

• Like 5

Sounds like you're getting back in the groove!  :encouragement:

You know, I have never seen a coyote beyond the internet. Never around the areas I've lived in. Or else they always stayed hidden. :P

Does sound scary though. So be careful.  :nightmare:

Look forward to hearing about the new program! 

Have a wonderful Thursday! Hugs!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Well the workout this morning was brutal, absolutely brutal.  We did 6x10 swings, then double snatch carries with double snatch squats 5x for four rounds, then should press with waiter carries, then the bitch that is suicide sleds.  It is basically like running suicides, but pushing a sled instead, two rounds.  I thought I was going to die, quite literally.  I went all pale and weak and shit and stayed on or near the ground for a full 30 minutes.  Kind of embarrassing because my coach was worried about me, had to give me Gatorade to get my sugar back up.  Then I pretty much felt like shit all day.   I have never done sleds so this was not the place to start.  I felt like an idiot because I am stronger on a lot of stuff than folks in my class but I was the only one walking the sled at the end and then collapsing in a mess on the floor.  Looking forward to the weekend!

Weigh in this morning has me at 175.3 lbs. I know it is a Saturday low, but still I am within .4 lbs of my less than 175 lb goal. I think I will call this week to book my appointment for the tattoo. Super stoked!

Rock on!!!! I think making that appointment is a great idea. You're doing awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting over

Level 0

Rock on!!!! I think making that appointment is a great idea. You're doing awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Sorry you felt so shaky at workout. Hope you can figure out how to prevent that going forward.

Congrats on being so close to your big goal!

Thanks!

Weekly wrap up.

Workouts 5/5 (10/10 Total)

Macros 6/7 (11/13 Total) - Yesterday we went shopping/running errands and planned poorly, resulted in some bad choices, 'nough said.  Back on track today though.

Sleep 5/5 (10/10 Total)

Mindful Outdoors 7/7 (14/14 Total)

Chin-ups - Did not attempt/not in any of my routines this week.

• Like 1

Very nice wrap up! I hope you've had a chance to recover after that intense workout!

The numbers are looking really good! Did you make that appointment? :)

I did get the consult actually, it was quite fun.  I am very excited.  That said I managed to screw something up and my weight has pinged up a few pounds this week.  I was ill behaved last Sunday I know, but it wasn't awful (at least I didn't think), but my weight has been up all week.  We agreed on a half-sleeve and a bit of a touch up on my old tattoo on that arm.  It will be two 4 hour sessions and full color, super stoked.  I need to not fuck up Thanksgiving now so I actually get my weight back to the goal weight.  I need to drop 3 pounds now in 2 and half weeks.  Totally doable, just need to bear down.  So far this week has gone well on all fronts.  Today and tomorrow are the real challenges with so many delicious foods hanging about... potatoes, pies, booze, mmmm, I think I need to go for a run....

• Like 2

Hey there! :)

I'm a bit late, but I just wanted to say I hope you had a most fabulous! Thanksgiving! :cheerful:

I am thankful for having such a wonderful friend!  ;)

Hugs!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Okay, I should have run away.  I have to come clean now.  That was a total shit show all the way around, very disappointing.  I slept in on Friday and missed my gym day, then ate like a pig on Saturday.  The whole thing got blown out of the water.

Weekly wrap up.

Workouts 3/5 (13/15 Total)

Macros 5/7 (16/20 Total) 

Sleep 5/5 (15/15 Total)

Mindful Outdoors 4/7 (18/21 Total)

Chin-ups - 9.  Oh so close on this one.

My weight is way up.  Hopefully it is mostly water weight and I can come back down to something more reasonable by the end of the week.  I definitely will be back on track this week.  I don't want any more slip ups between now and at least Christmas.  This is a tough time of year I have to admit.  I had my wife's b-day, then turkey day, then Christmas, New Year's, closely followed by my b-day.  Lots and lots of temptations all around.  Drinking on a empty stomach was generally a bad strategy I learned.  Well, I knew that, I guess I just re-learned it, again.  Bummer.  Well, that was the past.  We move on...