• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maledictus

Maledictus: Return of the Legend(s)

he's alive!!!

Only just.  And sucking mightily from all the time out.

Goal 1: When I say run, run. (pause) RUN! (+4 DEX)

I want to do at least a 5k a week and a set of sprints.  This is more for time than distance.  Use the 5ks to improve running technique.

Grade: Lose a grade per week without a full set of runs skipped (1 or 2, taking genuine factors into account).

This is to be done with Zombies, Run (season 3! yay!) Intervals! Yay!

Goal 2: Sand Bagging (+5 STR)

A word usually used by Truckers meaning slow driving or taking ones time.

I only have 2 races left this year (sniff) one this week and one at the end of the challenge.  This one will feature a mile run with a sandbag and the final one is a team challenge with a 30kg sandbag.  Four of them actually.  Per team of six.  I plan on doing one solo and not being the slow member of them team.  I've arranged to buy my sandbag at the end of this race and I intend to do one 5k per week carrying it.

Goal 3:  Cut me (calorific intake) mick (+5 CON)

Yeah, diet was shot from illness, then son's illness, then dog's illness.  Need to get back in the groove.

Side Quest: Try to at least keep up with other's threads (+2 CHA)

Given I haven't even been able to keep up with my own ... we'll see.

I only have 2 races left this year (sniff) one this week and one at the end of the challenge.  

This ... just doesn't seem possible. There's 6 weekends left in this year. That's like, 43 races on the Maledictus schedule.

Sub'd for the two you'll tackle. And all the other stuff in between, too.

What's up, punk?

Well, after my bronchitis my son started vomiting on a daily basis.  They don't know what it is but luckily there's an awful lot of nasty stuff they know it isn't.  That's ongoing.

My wife's new dog ate a sock, needed surgery to remove it, had complications, needed more surgery to sort that and then a week of 24 hour/day veterinary care.  Luckily after her cat broke his leg within the first two days I'd made it a point that any new pet needed insurance before it came through the door.  Unluckily I left it to my wife to sort out, so that didn't happen.  It's got to the point where I'm really considering telling her to just knock it off her half of the divorce settlement.  Not very supportive of me but fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me repeatedly over twenty years ... 

My new job isn't looking too stable and an old place has been in touch offering me two years of really boring stable well paid work ... that would basically mean never working in development again in my line of business.

I've just finished a month of the most horrific distances and terrain and I hurt.  I also have the most amazingly ripped arms and legs (my suit trousers split on the calves when I sat down ...)  coupled with the cutest little runner's pot belly you've ever seen.  Damn you, carb loading!

I also read "The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances".  It's fun, if all available online anyway,

This ... just doesn't seem possible. There's 6 weekends left in this year. That's like, 43 races on the Maledictus schedule.

Sub'd for the two you'll tackle. And all the other stuff in between, too.

I actually spent the weekend doing the suffering legend course (two days of hill sprints, about 37.8km in total) along with some *real* runners.  Sarah (lovely PT from the army) is about to clock up her 1,000th mile of OCR this year, not including army training.  I'm not even over the 500 mile mark (I think, need to check),

Next year is looking even more insane.  Fewer races but the ones that there are...

oh yeah, I also squeezed in 3 tough mudders in one weekend (just don't), then a 16km including the most awesome slide ever topped off with the previously mentioned 2 days of pain.  In which I knocked 40 minutes off my total time from last time (still loads of room for improvement).  I also convinced all other people doing the triple for the 2nd time to wear gold hot pants.  That's a thing that we do now.

I have a shopping list of things to improve over the next year:

pacing/endurance

sprints

grip related things (great at carries, suck at bars/rings etc.)

Well, after my bronchitis my son started vomiting on a daily basis.  They don't know what it is but luckily there's an awful lot of nasty stuff they know it isn't.  That's ongoing.

My wife's new dog ate a sock, needed surgery to remove it, had complications, needed more surgery to sort that and then a week of 24 hour/day veterinary care.  Luckily after her cat broke his leg within the first two days I'd made it a point that any new pet needed insurance before it came through the door.  Unluckily I left it to my wife to sort out, so that didn't happen.  It's got to the point where I'm really considering telling her to just knock it off her half of the divorce settlement.  Not very supportive of me but fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me repeatedly over twenty years ... 

My new job isn't looking too stable and an old place has been in touch offering me two years of really boring stable well paid work ... that would basically mean never working in development again in my line of business.

I've just finished a month of the most horrific distances and terrain and I hurt.  I also have the most amazingly ripped arms and legs (my suit trousers split on the calves when I sat down ...)  coupled with the cutest little runner's pot belly you've ever seen.  Damn you, carb loading!

I also read "The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances".  It's fun, if all available online anyway,

Woah. That's a lot, especially your son. Obviously wishing for the best there.

Now I've started reading The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances. That's good stuff.

Man!  Hate to hear about the bad stuff, but glad you're still around and up for a challenge.  I feel like they can be a good reminder/motivator/outlet to keep up with stuff you enjoy while the rest of life is less enjoyable.

We're here for you!  Feel free to whine, complain, bitch, moan, brag, gloat, or just make up fantastical training stories for our enjoyment...

I actually spent the weekend doing the suffering legend course (two days of hill sprints, about 37.8km in total) along with some *real* runners.  Sarah (lovely PT from the army) is about to clock up her 1,000th mile of OCR this year, not including army training.  I'm not even over the 500 mile mark (I think, need to check),

Just checked (I'm raising money for a charity and sent out a thank you to people who donated) and I came in at 513 km of OCR for the year.

Man!  Hate to hear about the bad stuff, but glad you're still around and up for a challenge.  I feel like they can be a good reminder/motivator/outlet to keep up with stuff you enjoy while the rest of life is less enjoyable.

We're here for you!  Feel free to whine, complain, bitch, moan, brag, gloat, or just make up fantastical training stories for our enjoyment...

Just realised I've been getting very "meh" about OCR in general (probably because I've done so many of them this year and the last couple of months have been non-stop).  I have one left this year and then most of January off (well, training only) so hopefully I'll perk up.

My son is feeling better and the dog has perked up.  I've agreed with the wife that counts as her "hobby" money and

a) I don't get to say "I told you so"

B) She doesn't get to whine about OCR + travel until I exceed that amount

Which implies that (depending upon dates) the beast + ultra is sooo on for next year.

Back in the gym and having a blast.  Discovered the glory that is creatine.  Other than wanting to hump anything that doesn't get out of the way fast enough (checked with a female friend and sadly that's a guy thing only...) all I really notice is an ability to thoroughly cane it in the gym.

New guy that runs the gym at the weekend has much better taste in music than the weekday staff.  Can't believe the little gem below slipped my attention until now.  Perfect for heavy squats.

Checked most of my lifts this week.

Deadlift - 155kg 1RM.  That was going up in 10kg increments so I suspect it would top out at 165/170 if I spaced out the lifts before.

Bench - 80kg 5 RM (oddly, also 1RM)

Squat - Front was previously 60kg.  Got it up to 95kg today.

Need to check my back squat.

Lots of pics and random race stories to follow.

Right, so .... where were we?  Other than insanely busy that is.

Woke up with DOMS on my DOMS.

knelt down to tie my shoe lace.  Suit trousers split in the thigh along the seam from just above the knee to just below the ... you get the idea.  Of course this happened in the middle of London.

Doing a 5k a day for some charity or other in december

Matching all donations people made to me this year and donating that amount to a homeless veteran's charity.

Carrying a 30kg sandbag round with me on a saturday.  It's not as much fun as it looks.

I've cut back on *some* of the stuff I had planned for 2015, mainly to give me something to do in 2016.  Plus with 2 weddings in the family next year certain months are looking iffy for some of the race series.

Signed up for a marathon distance OCR in february.  That should be a giggle.

Hmm..

5k/day for december.  Check (except the day after the christmas party)

Finishing lifts for the year:

Bench: 97.5 kg

Squat: 140 kg

Deadlift: 155 kg

OHP: 60 kg

gives me something to aim for next year.

Already signed up for one marathon distance OCR in 2015 and thinking of doing 4-5 others.

plus have to see what's happening with the Spartan stuff.  The uk is imploding nicely and I can't decide between the world champs and vermont.  I'll never get a silver coin so .... (that's not false modesty, I've hardly ever managed top 5 in my age group, never mind gender)

Hmmm. I just assumed that they weren't having a race in Vermont because the World Championships were in Lake Tahoe. I can't make Lake Tahoe- too rich for my blood.

I won't be getting a silver coin either. And I'm so far away from it, that it's hardly motivation for me either. I'll just have to stick with doing it because they're fun. :)

Oh and in other news, you can OHP me. :)

Hmmm. I just assumed that they weren't having a race in Vermont because the World Championships were in Lake Tahoe. I can't make Lake Tahoe- too rich for my blood.

I won't be getting a silver coin either. And I'm so far away from it, that it's hardly motivation for me either. I'll just have to stick with doing it because they're fun. :)

Oh and in other news, you can OHP me. :)

That (the spartan not being where everyone  (NF) was able/willing to go)  sucks.  It means my big plan for next year needs more thought.  

The OHP thing was funny - I spent a bit of time boosting people on a Tough Mudder earlier this year (like that narrows it down...) and there was woman who was so short she still couldn't get over the wall.  So I OHP'ed her.  That was hilarious.  Or at least, the look of sheer confusion on her friends when they saw what I did ... I think most people expect you to look like Ronnie Coleman before you can do that.  That's actually bothering me a bit in that I personally can't see any change in body comp but I'm clearly a lot stronger than a year ago.  That's despite yawning and splitting one of my shirts in the arm.  That was the same week as the trousers, so the wife got me a can of green body paint and told me to go to parties as the hulk (I wish).

Oh and that means I can also now bench myself - I've been falling into that horrible trap of having to overeat/bulk and then being able to bench my weight ... of 2 weeks earlier.  Amazing just how much harder 2.5/5kg can be.

We had the Mudstacle christmas awards meal followed by a team event this weekend.  As far as I know, I had a pretty good time.  Got talking to some young guy that (with a couple of pointers from myself) might just be good at this stuff.

Me Ja

The team event was my LAST OCR of 2014.  So yes, I did nearly die trying and in the end I dropped out of 3 races due to bronchitis or family issues.  I ran some 500km+ of OCR though..  not too shabby.

My pace still sucks though.

John Albon was taking it easy going round the course today and I shouted to the captain of team Innov-8 OCR (a really nice and funny guy) .. "watch this, my one and only chance to ever overtake john".

John then sped up to make me sprint past him.  As I lay there dying and trying not to vomit, he said "of course, for it to count, you also have to be on your second lap".  Pretty certain he only let me catch up so he could say that  :).

Fantastic night and a lot of fun was had.  I woke up with "2nd best veteran runner of the year" award.

They made me return it though to the person that won it though  :(