Turkeyloaf Experiment with special guest Pig Skin

Shortgorilla

So this morning I did an experiment and tried making my own recipe for low-carb meat loaf.

1 lb ground turkey

1 oz spicy pork rhinds

2 whole eggs

1/2 chopped onion

seasoning

ketchup

pam spray

65958fcde300cce296b9bf47383fd87d.jpg

Mixed the ingredients together with a spoon.

784b92f48b6ee4f2bf5a559dbb40bd2a.jpg

Preheated the oven to 375 degrees.

Sprayed down a glass baking pan with pam. Spread the meaty slop in there evenly, coated it with a thin layer of ketchup. Baked it for a while. Did not time it.

Came out looking kind of gross.

3a9c00941f3cdc768524ce8d2e9d9c93.jpg

Trying to dish it up, it was all breakity and crumbly.

09c93f4ee11bd9385a37c29cafa0107c.jpg

Tasted pretty decent, not quite meatloafy but not bad for a low carb protein food thing.

Calories: 1224

Fat: 77.6g

Carbs: 0.8g

Protein: 88g

For super picky people I did not measure the ketchup. It probably added another 40 calories or so, tops. It was about 2 tablespoons worth.

Also, the leaner your mince is the better it'll hold together. The fattier it is the more dispersion you'll end up with in the cooking processing - that's probably why you're starting mix looked so wet. ;)

Try rolling it into a log and wrapping it in foil. That should help it hold it's form whilst cooking, and as such, hold it's form once done.

• Like 1

Also, the leaner your mince is the better it'll hold together. The fattier it is the more dispersion you'll end up with in the cooking processing - that's probably why you're starting mix looked so wet. ;)

Try rolling it into a log and wrapping it in foil. That should help it hold it's form whilst cooking, and as such, hold it's form once done.

would need to open it up for a browning session. Wrapped in foil would steam it, and not let the 375f carmelization magic happen.

Both sound very fattening and just poor health choices , am I wrong?

Those ingredients sound pretty good to me--even the pork rinds now that I've actually looked up information about them. Fat does play an important part in healthy eating.

What did you use for seasoning? I want to try making this--I'm always too low on protein. I'm not crazy about ketchup so I think I'd want to try to replace it with something that fits with the other seasonings.

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

I seasoned it with McCormick Grillhouse Steakhouse Onion Burger seasoning.  My go to for seasoning though is McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning, because that stuff goes awesome on everything.

Well, it might be fattening if you ate the whole thing at every meal and didn't use it to fuel any exercise or something. I'm still trying to kick the ingrained "eating any fat will make you fat" reflex.

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

I can't believe that there are people on this board that think fat = fattening. Especially in a low carb high protein dish.

Fat does get stored directly as bodyfat in a caloric surplus.  Don't drink the koolaid dude.

Ground flax seeds paired with adequate liquid also works as glue, with some hardcore amounts of fiber and omega3s.

I was trying to think of a replacement for bread crumbs (which is what I think is missing and will "hold it together") then I saw this post..ground flax might actually work quite well in this respect.

Also, if you want to have some fun with the glaze, pick up a nice chili garlic sauce in the asian food aisle of your local grocery store (it'll be next to the sriracha).  Mix a little bit of that with your ketchup and put it on top.  And if extra calories don't scare you, a little brown sugar in the mixture will really do great things.