30kg           x5

38kg           x9x4 

Deadlift against bands

42.5kg        x3x8

Lat pulldown

32kg           x10x5 

DB Row

7.5kg         x10x5

Restarted the programme due to having a flu.

• Like 1

Level "I have no clue" Warrior

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Sunday 12/02 

Deadlift 

50kg           x5

60kg           x5

64kg           x10x3

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

35kg           x3

40kg           x7x5 

Pause Squat (70s rest between sets)

37.5kg        x3x8

Lat pulldown

32kg           x10x5 

DB Row

7.5kg         x10x5

• Like 1

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Tuesday 14/02 

Squat 

20kg           x10

40kg           x5

50kg           x5

58kg           x8x3

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

40kg           x5

43kg           x5x7 

Deadlift against bands (70s rest between sets)

46kg           x3x8

Lat pulldown

32kg           x10x5 

DB Row

7.5kg         x10x5

Maybe I should go heavier on the accessories.

• Like 1

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Thursday 16/02

Shoulder Press

22.5kg        x8x3 

Pendlay Row

35kg           x8x3

Floor Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

40kg           x8

40kg           x10x2 (It was supposed to be 3 sets of 10 but due to having 3 sets of 8 at shoulder press and pendlay row I got confused on the first set)

Hyperextensions                   x10x3

Reverse Hyperextentions      x10x3

It was fun having @Schaengel as a training buddy tonight!

• Like 3

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Sunday 19/02 

Deadlift 

50kg           x5

60kg           x5

66kg           x8

66kg           x5

66kg           x4

66kg           x5

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

40kg           x5 

46kg           x3x4

46kg           x2

40kg           x3x8

Lat pulldown

32kg           x10x5 

DB Row

7.5kg         x10x5

Horrible lifting today! I didn't feel like I had any energy when I went to the gym.

After I did my first set on deadlift I saw that on the last rep my back was really rounding (which didn't happen as much last week) and on the second set I didn't feel I could do more than 5 reps. It was supposed to be 3 sets of 8. Similarly on the bench, I was supposed to do 8 sets of 3 but on the 5th set I failed the last rep and gave up altogether. I actually got trapped under the bar. I was calling for a guy who was looking at his phone and whose name I didn't know but he couldn't tell I was shouting at him because I was saying "hey!", then I was calling a girl whose name I did know but it was after she had finished a set and she was watching the video on her phone. Funnily enough that caught the guy's attention (apparently the had the same name too) and he untrapped me. Technically I could have just dropped the plates because I never use collars on bench but I was not in danger and didn't want to cause loud noises (other than me shouting).

I blame ladies night for that fiasco btw. I'm sore today. I met with @tyria for coffee and cake afterwards (who says she has the same soreness) while she was waiting for a common friend. (We had to stay at the gym a bit longer though as a dog decided to make her his pillow while we where there).

Also, I had a discussion with one of the regulars who I usually have brief chats with and we're now making plans to meet for drinks one evening (on one of our common rest days).

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Tuesday 21/02 

Squat 

20kg           x10

40kg           x5

50kg           x4

57.5kg        x3

62.5kg        x6x3 (actually the program said 3 sets of 6 but I did 5 reps on the last set)

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

37.5kg        x6x6 

Deadlift against bands

50kg           x3x8

Lat pulldown

32kg           x10x5 

DB Row

7.5kg         x10x5

I felt out of energy, both the squat and the bench press felt very slow and taxing when in the video they seem to move ok. Although, I probably should have brought the belt for squats.

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Thursday 23/02

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

40kg           x5x7 (or 8, I lost track of counting)

Pendlay Row

30kg           x6

37.5kg        x5.5

35kg           x6x2 (It was supposed to be 3 sets of 6, 37.5kg seemed heavy so I did 35kg on the last two sets.)

Floor Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

35kg           x3

42.5kg       x6x3 

Hyperextensions                   x10x3

Reverse Hyperextentions      x10x2 (I'm not sure if the place I feel the hyperextensions is the correct one.)

• Like 2

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Saturday 25/02 

Deadlift 

50kg           x5

60kg           x5

65kg           x3

70kg           x6x3

80kg           x1

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

35kg           x3 

42.5kg        x3x8

I had to stop after that because the circuit was starting. I'll go tomorrow to do pause squat and the DB stuff.

I think I like kick boxing a lot. If I was to add doing something else regularly that could be an option (or some MMA). 

• Like 1

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Tuesday 28/02 

Squat 

20kg           x10

40kg           x5

50kg           x4

60kg           x3

66kg           x4x4

75kg           x1

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

38kg           x6x6 

Deadlift (mini challenge attempt - aka crossfit foockery)

50kg           x13

50kg           x8

50kg           x3

50kg           x3

50kg           x1

Time 4:06. I had 9 reps left for the advanced level but I felt my back getting tired so I stopped.

Lat pulldown

32kg           x10x5 

DB Row

7.5kg          x10x5

• Like 1

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Saturday 04/03 

Deadlift 

50kg           x5

60kg           x4

70kg           x3

75kg           x1 (It was supposed to be 4x4)

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

40kg           x3 

42.5kg        x3x8

I was also supposed to do pause squat, lat pulldown, and DB rows but there was no way. I got gastroenteritis (which I guess started on Wednesday evening) and became apparent in the early hours of Thursday. I skipped Thursday's workout and I haven't been able to eat properly since Wednesday evening (I didn't feel well since Wednesday afternoon). I've been symptom-free since Thursday evening but I've been forcing myself to eat as much as I can. I have no appetite and my stomach hurts almost all the time so I'm fine even with the single at 75kg on deadlift. My butt was also coming up a bit on bench press. I do think however that my form on the reps on deadlift was much better. I usually see videos of people deadlift and the bar touches their legs all the time and I've been wondering why I can't do it but I was doing it on all the reps.

• Like 2

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Tuesday 07/03 

Squat 

20kg           x10

40kg           x5

50kg           x4

60kg           x3

70kg           x3x3

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

40kg           x6x6 

Deadlift against bands (70s rest between sets)

50kg           x3x8

Lat pulldown

32kg           x10x5 

DB Row

7.5kg         x10x5

• Like 2

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Thursday 09/03

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

35kg           x3

42.5kg        x5x7 

Pendlay Row

32.5kg        x10x3

Floor Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

35kg           x5

40kg           x10x3 

Skipped core stuff due to back DOMS.

• Like 2

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Saturday 11/03 

Deadlift 

50kg           x5

60kg           x4

70kg           x3

80kg           x1

85kg           x1

80kg           x1 (That didn't go to plan at all)

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

35kg           x3

40kg           x3

45kg           x3x8

45kg           x1 (to commands with an evil long pause.) 

45kg           x3x8

Skipped accessories

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Tuesday 14/03 (Happy π day everybody!) 

Squat 

20kg           x10

40kg           x5

50kg           x4

60kg           x3x3 (with commands)

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

40kg           x3x3 (with commands) 

Deadlift 

60kg           x2 (with commands)

#povertylifts

A friend who's visiting came with me to the gym with me to try lifting for the first time. Seems excited about lifting and about the gym. 

• Like 1

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Thursday 16/03 

Squat 

20kg           x10

40kg           x5

50kg           x3x3 (with commands)

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

35kg           x3x3 (with commands) 

No one who was there had done the commands before so it ended up being a kinda ridiculous session. 

Friend came with me at the gym again. Did better than last time!

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Saturday 18/03 

Squat 

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

40kg           x3

50kg           x1

62.5kg        x1

72.5kg        x1

82.5kg        xF

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

35kg           x3 (with commands)

35kg           x1

40kg           x1 (paused)

45kg           x1 (paused)

50kg           x1 (paused)

Deadlift with embarrassing form! (Hope I can walk tomorrow!)

42.5kg        x5

52.5kg        x3

62.5kg        x2

72.5kg        x1

82.5kg        x1

92.5kg        x1

102.5kg      x1

#povertylifts

Current challenge

Battle log

On 19 Mar 2017 at 6:47 PM, AugustaAdaByron said:

Short (not so short after all) meet recap.

I had packed everything (and even more than I needed but always better safe than sorry) the night before thanks to @RedStone and @SpecialSundae. (I'm also very grateful to evabo, now known as @stepping_out.) Of course there's always something I could forget and so I did. I forgot to charge my FitBit, not a good idea especially since it also acts as my watch. Gladly the friend who was visiting since the end of the previous challenge is one of the few people that still wear a watch so I commandeered it until the end of the meet.

Weigh in and athletes meet: I had a good meal the night before and had been eating lots the previous days so in the morning of the meet, once I arrived and went for the weigh in, I weighed around 65kg (64.9kg the scale at home, 65kg one of the two scales of the gym, and 65.3kg the second scale of the gym). My official weight for the meet was 65.1kg. I knew I had about half an hour more to weigh myself again and also had to pee more but I decided to not care about my weight. I knew I was going to be last and with a big difference so I shouldn't care about things that didn't matter (a couple hundred grams). That being said if I knew I could take a big poop I probably would weigh myself again. :P Anyway, after the weigh in they had me check for the height that I needed for the bench and the squat rack. We verified what I already knew (big advantage to compete using the exact same equipment you use for training).

Waiting, peeing, and warming up (part one): I had breakfast, chatted with a few friends, and after a while we were called for the athletes meet before the competition (where we were told about the commands, what's legal and what's not etc). Or that's what they told me that happened. One of the things that I also hadn't considered was that everything would be in German, including the commands. Only "rack" was different though. I got the meet's hoodie and I started to drink the first Monster of the day. I waited until about 10:30 (we were supposed to start at 11am) and I started to warm up for squat (I had planned 4-5minutes between each set). We were late and I wanted to do one more rep but all bars were already loaded with heavier weights so I didn't. (Also, it turns out that they were also demonstrating how a squat/bench press/deadlift was supposed to look like before starting the competition of each list. When I asked what was happening a guy who was helping one of the girls warm up told me "they're showing how to do a proper squat but from what I've seen you don't need the instructions". My form has sucked for quite a while but it feels like it's coming along lately and having someone who didn't know me at all say that was kinda encouraging.)

Squat time: Went out and did my first attempt at 62.5kg which was (as supposed to be) easy. I still don't have the video of that. A friend of mine was supposed to film it but got confused and instead of using my phone used what appeared to be a random phone. (We figured out later whose phone it is and he'll send me the video later.) The second attempt at 72.5kg felt a bit more hard but still doable. I went for the 82.5kg on the third attempt. I tried to cut the depth a bit but I either didn't have it or changing my usual movement back fired and I didn't get the lift. (I'm trying it again this week btw.) Oh well, no big deal. Almost everyone had started their attempts heavier than what was supposed to be my third attempt anyway. I'd gone through the first can of Monster by that point.

Waiting, peeing, and warming up (part two): There were two flights of men after the women so I had about two hours in between lifts. I had a piece of chocolate cake and a banana. Also lots of peeing. I asked when our flight would start bench press and I calculated according to the time I had in mind when I should start to warm up for bench. Turns out they were late (told me they'd take 10 minutes break after the previous flight but they took more like 15-20 minutes). So I was still done with warm up quite early. The guys started to warm up before we even started but this time I did unload their bar and did one more warm up rep.

Bench time: Went out and did my first attempt at 40kg (which again felt super easy). Went for the second attempt at 45kg and also got it. Went for 50kg and it's very weird how after a while my brain just stopped thinking of the weight and only about the movement I had to perform. For this lift I needed a hand off and one of my friends from the gym came to help. I got the third attempt too. Actually, that may be the only attempt I'm happy about from the whole meet. I used to dread bench press and I expected the third attempt to be grindy AF. It felt much easier than I expected so I'm happy about this. Also I'd never done a paused 50kg bench press before. Bench, in general, got the most "no lifts" due to people not listening to the commands. 

Waiting, peeing, and warming up (part three): Lots of time to rest a bit and start to warm up for deadlift (or so I thought). I started to drink the second can of Monster (full sugar this time) and had one more piece of cake. I again asked when we were starting with the deadlift and calculated again when I should start warming up. I found out I still had more time so I thought I'd go quickly to the bathroom to pee. (I peed A LOT but also had a lot of liquids). The warm up was going faster than I expected anyway. There was a huge line of people waiting for the bathroom including a pregnant woman behind me. I kept waiting but I also started to get stressed and asked to cut the line. (Even though the pregnant woman - 8th month btw - was still waiting). As I was about to wash my hands I heard the announcer speak in German. THE HORROR!!! I started to run out of the bathroom wearing only one side of my singlet over my arm and running to the table to see if we were starting and if I had to lift (I still had one warm up set pending by that time). Turns out they were demonstrating how to do a deadlift. I was in panic, went to the warm up room and did the last set (basically just a single at 72.5kg). I was shaking until after my first attempt.

Deadlift time: Went out and did my first attempt at 82.5kg. Didn't feel as easy I'd like it too and I was still stressed (probably not a bad thing in retrospect). I did the lift but not with the best form I could have. Put in the second attempt at 92.5kg. Also didn't feel easy and my form was already breaking down by that point more than I'd like to but my coach had said "just rip the bar off the floor!" and that's all I was planning to do. Rip it off the floor and hold on to it. Got the second attempt. For the third attempt, I went to the table and asked for "102.5kg and paramedics to be around just in case". Before going for the attempt one of my friends said "kill it!". By that time I knew my form was going to look like shit no matter what so it was "I'll either kill it or it'll kill me" time. Three white lights and by that time I was excited. I can see why my coach seems to be a firm believer of getting 9/9 on your first meet and in general feeling like you had more in the tank. Getting all three attempts made me want to do more.

After that I just went to change clothes and pee again! Got my friend a beer and then we were just chatting about who was natty strong, who was juicy strong, why some lifts got white lighted when the depth was not good enough, why some lifts were white lighted even though they clearly weren't locking out, etc. I got ridiculously hungry and couldn't wait for the meet to be over. After it was done we got the "participation certificates" (not an official meet, not official papers). I was the last one (7th out of 7 in women) and the only one at the 72kg weight class. There was one at 63kg and all other ones where 57kg or less. That was a bit depressing. I was the heaviest one and my  max lifts even in absolute values were lower than most openers. I left the certificate in my locker. After that I just went with my friend to a pizza place and we had a "gigantic pizza". That's what the owners called it. (We may have scared Italians by the amount of food we ordered.) And as far as I can recall that's all that's relevant to the day. All things taken into account the meet did shake things up when I felt like I was stagnating so I'm happy about it and look forward to go back to training.

I've already posted the pics of the pizza and the certificate so here's how (funnily enough) the watch and my shoes almost matched...

5f66Tzl.jpg

And here's the video (without the first attempt on squat)...

Two extra thoughts that popped up in my head while I was writing this post.

• I'm really happy about the friends I've made here on the forum of NF. Some I've met in real life and some, unfortunately, just live too far. The internet is really really great (and not just for porn). It allows you to exchange ideas and opinions with people who you might otherwise not be able to get in contact with. NF does provide this kind of community. However, while writing the recap, I realised that two out of the three people I mentioned in this post (SpecialSundae and evabo) and who I'd be happy to call them my friends too, seem to have become inactive on the forums. This thought made me quite sad.
  • Speaking about friends, I should have probably stopped referring to the person who was visiting me as a friend. Sure, he definitely is a friend, but he's a lot more than that!  

Cross posted from my challenge so it's easier for me to find it if I ever want to.

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Saturday 18/03 

Squat 

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

40kg           x4

50kg           x3

60kg           x2

67.5kg        x1

75kg           x1

82.5kg        xF (twice)

52.5kg        x5x3

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

35kg           x3

40kg           x1 

45kg           x1 

50kg           x1

55kg           xF

37.5kg        x5x3

I think I was happier and felt better about going to the gym when I hoped I could do more weight than when I found out I can't.

• Like 1

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Saturday 25/03

Deadlift 

62.5kg        x4x6

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

35kg           x5x5 (or x6, I lost count) 

Squat 

20kg           x10

40kg           x5

52.5kg        x5x3

I still feel exhausted.

• Like 2

Current challenge

Battle log

Workout from Tuesday 28/03 

Squat 

20kg           x10

40kg           x5

52.5kg        x6x6

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

37.5kg        x6x6 

Deficit Deadlift

50kg           x5

60kg           x4

67.5kg        x3x8 (second set was only 2 reps)

Skipped accessories because I was at the gym for 2 hours already. I'm sure this is not meant to take me so long.

• Like 1

Current challenge

Battle log

18 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Skipped accessories because I was at the gym for 2 hours already. I'm sure this is not meant to take me so long.

I somewhat disagree. 6 sets of squats, 6 sets of bench, and 3 sets of DL would probably take me that long. 

Squat 

20kg           x10 (1 minute rest)

40kg           x5 (2 minute rest) 

52.5kg        x6x6 (3 minute rest x6 plus 1 minute per set = 24 min)

= probably 30 min AT THE LEAST

Bench Press

20kg           x10 (1 minute rest + 1 min = 2 min)

30kg           x5 (2 minute rest + 1 min = 3 min)

37.5kg        x6x6 (3 minute rest x6 plus 1 minute per set = 24 min)

= probably 30 min AT THE LEAST

Deficit Deadlift

50kg           x5 (1 minute rest + 1 min = 2 min)

60kg           x4 (2 minute rest + 1 min = 3 min)

67.5kg        x3x8 (4x3 minute rest plus 1 minute per set = 15 min, I need a lot of rest between DL sets)

= probably 20 min AT THE LEAST

not including time to change plates and change racks = 80 min. with time to change plates and racks probably close to 2 hours. 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }