• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Oramac

Oramac's Super Not-Challenge Challenge

Yea, so I was away for all of Week 1 on a trip to visit a friend in Connecticut, without even realizing that there was a massive Nerd meetup happening!  I'm really mad at myself.  And I hate to admit that I was slacking off really bad before my trip too.  I haven't been to the gym in about a month.  

Originally, I'd had a nice cool challenge written up for this, but I'm going to save that for the next challenge.  This challenge has one goal:

GET BACK IN THE $&^*!#& GYM!   Pretty straightforward.  I want to exercise 3 times per week, with AT LEAST two of them being in the gorram gym.   This is pass/fail each week.  The basic point of this goal is to get myself back into the habit of working out, regardless of how long the drive to the gym is.  

Reward: if I pass 5 weeks of the challenge, I'll allow myself a $60+ allowance.  

Also, I'll write about and post pics of my trip in my Epic Quest thread (which will be linked here after I've written it).  

• Like 2

Yaaaaaaaay!

I'm glad you made a challenge, Sir!

Let's get back ONNIT!!! :D

Thanks miss!!  It's not the challenge I planned, but for where I am and what i need, it works.  

See what happens when you let your challenge slip? Tut tut, man. Tut tut.

Haha.  No kidding. But why do you have to bring King Tut into this?  What did he do?  :D

=====================================================================

So yesterday I got into the gym for the first time in a long time and mostly killed it!  Yay! 

I planned to do Deadlift, Bench, Squat and OHP, but I ran out of time and had to skip the OHP's.  Ah well.  I killed the rest of it.  

DL:  5x5 @ 190

DB Bench: 5x10 with 2 35 pound db's

Squat: 5x5 @ 90  (most I've squatted since I hurt my knee way back when)

Overall this was a successful trip back to the gym.  Yay! 

Nice! I know you've been missing the squatz something fierce. How's the knee feeling?

Fo sho.  The knee actually feels great!  I've been supplementing glucosamine and taking it really slow on the weight, which is helping a lot I think.  

Fo sho.  The knee actually feels great!  I've been supplementing glucosamine and taking it really slow on the weight, which is helping a lot I think.  

Cool. Yeah, definitely take your time. Get to the point where you can control that weight like it's a small puppy, and then add on. :)

• Like 1

Cool. Yeah, definitely take your time. Get to the point where you can control that weight like it's a small puppy, and then add on. :)

Absolutely.  I'll probably stay at 90 pounds for at least the rest of this week (I had previously been stupidly adding 5-10 pounds per session).  Maybe even stay with it till next week, depending on how I feel with it.  

Ok, so yesterday was.........a day.  About the best I can say is I did get to the gym and I didn't die.  The workout was merely ok, and work frackin sucked.  Nay.  It was worse than that.  And now I'm here again.  Yippee.  

But dammit today is gonna be better! 

• Like 1

Excellent, good to see you back.

Going even on a crappy day is a victory on its own. 

Thanks man.  It's good to be back.  I really enjoyed the trip, but it's nice to get back into the gym, even if it was a crappy day.  I'm going in after work today too, which should be better.  Deadlifts, yo! 

DO WORK, SON

Haha.  I chuckled at this.  Thanks, Kishi.  :)

• Like 1

So I just discovered that I might not be eating enough either.  I added up my normal lunch that I make for work, which is chicken and rice and veggies, is 311 calories per meal. And even factoring in the teriyaki I cook it all in it's still under 400 calories for the meal.  I don't eat breakfast, so even with a huge dinner I still barely manage to hit 2000 calories per day.  My normal sized dinner is well below 2000 too.  

Very interesting.  

So I just discovered that I might not be eating enough either.  I added up my normal lunch that I make for work, which is chicken and rice and veggies, is 311 calories per meal. And even factoring in the teriyaki I cook it all in it's still under 400 calories for the meal.  I don't eat breakfast, so even with a huge dinner I still barely manage to hit 2000 calories per day.  My normal sized dinner is well below 2000 too.  

Very interesting.  

I am wondering if that's not part of the reason I was dizzy at the gym. On Whole30 I'm just not that hungry so I've been kind of skimping their rules (3 meals that include lots of protein and vegetables) and going more for two complete meals and one meal that I either skip or that is completely half assed. 

Is there a specific reason why you don't eat breakfast? 

I am wondering if that's not part of the reason I was dizzy at the gym. On Whole30 I'm just not that hungry so I've been kind of skimping their rules (3 meals that include lots of protein and vegetables) and going more for two complete meals and one meal that I either skip or that is completely half assed. 

Is there a specific reason why you don't eat breakfast? 

It might have contributed to being dizzy.  I know on the days I eat less (than normal), I sometimes feel a bit dizzy or get winded faster at the gym.   

I usually am up early for work and don't typically have time to cook and eat breakfast.  I've toyed with the idea of batch cooking some egg-cupcakes (which are awesome) and using those for breakfast, but between that and eggs after a workout and such, I'd go through like 3 dozen eggs a week.  Not sure my food budget can handle that.  lol.  

• Like 1

Under-eating can very much make you dizzy at the gym.  It's happened to me at Judo, though rarely.  Even getting some bananas or protein bars to eat on the way to work is better than nothing.

• Like 1

Under-eating can very much make you dizzy at the gym.  It's happened to me at Judo, though rarely.  Even getting some bananas or protein bars to eat on the way to work is better than nothing.

Yea, I'm working on that. Trying to get a blender to make smoothies/shakes and the like.  Plus getting fruit for the morning. 

It might have contributed to being dizzy.  I know on the days I eat less (than normal), I sometimes feel a bit dizzy or get winded faster at the gym.   

I usually am up early for work and don't typically have time to cook and eat breakfast.  I've toyed with the idea of batch cooking some egg-cupcakes (which are awesome) and using those for breakfast, but between that and eggs after a workout and such, I'd go through like 3 dozen eggs a week.  Not sure my food budget can handle that.  lol.  

Cage-free eggs are like, $3.29/dz at Trader Joe's. Are you sure you can't spare an extra 10 bucks a week? ;-)

Cage-free eggs are like, $3.29/dz at Trader Joe's. Are you sure you can't spare an extra 10 bucks a week? ;-)

On top of what I already buy?  Probably.  I'll just have to see if it can work.  

Ok!  So week 1 was a success.  Got to the gym all 3 days I planned to.  This week may be tricky with Thanksgiving, but I did check the gyms schedule before my workout yesterday and it should work.  

Yesterday's workout is in the books, and I did get to the gym this time as well.  So far, so good.  

Deadlift: 5x5 @ 205!  Yea, I suck at math it seems.  I totally thought I was only doing 190.  Not sure where the extra 15 pounds came from.  

Bench: 5x5 @ 115.  Again, I suck at math.  I added it up at 105.  Haha.  

Squat: 5x5 @ 100.  Yay!  Not only did I actually add this one up right, but it's a new no-knee-pain PR.  

Also, there was a guy there deadlifting 4 PLATES PER SIDE!  I don't know if that's the right terminology, but holy shit.  405 pounds.  I'm impressed.  

• Like 3

Don't worry, that's the right terminology. Honest. They taught it us in personal training school. :D

Haha.  Sounds good.  I know RP just pulled 405 too.  But I'd never actually seen anyone do it.  I have a new appreciation for it.  That's crazy.  It's also my goal.  So I guess I'm crazy.  

• Like 3

So I guess I'm crazy.

At least you know you have a problem ;) and guessing you are crazy, just means you might be able to come back before true lunacy sets in!

• Like 1