BucktheTide - better late than never

IslandGirl_Becks

I know it's already a week in, but I'm jumping on the bandwagon. 

Goals for this cycle:

Get flexible! I need to really develop my yoga/stretching habit, especially as the weather turns icky here in the PNW. My Goal: Yoga (preferably AM) 5x/wk. (+DEX, WIS)

Get moving! I used to be a runner (half marathon last August), but have fallen out of the habit in the past year. Part of that had to do with the stiffness that came from a desk job. Yoga should help with that; I have no more excuses. My  Goal: Run >5mi/wk. that can be two 3 mile runs, or one 5 mile run. Just as long as I'm moving! (+STA)

Become aware! Knowing whether I'm meeting my goals in protein intake and sugar reduction tends to be half the battle! My Goal: keep a daily record of what I eat on myfitnesspal. (+CONS)

BONUS - I want to hit a 100 kg dead lift by the end of the year!

I just got a fitbit (I'm an engineer, I want all the data!), so I'm looking at the end of these next 5 weeks to have some solid data about my habits to reflect on. For accountability, here's the link to my Fitbit profile

• Like 2

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Yay! You're back with a great challenge plan that has a very rangerly balance - flexibility, food, endurance and strength!

Data. The primary weapon in amy healthy nerd's arsenal!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Thanks, ShadowLion! I feel well balanced right now, and wasn't even thinking about it when I posted. That's a good sign!

So far this week:

Monday: 

AM

first thing

5 mile run around noon (it's too dark to go after work). My first 5 mile run in... a year? *woot*

PM BodyFlow (TaiChi + Yoga + Pilates) at the gym with my sister.

Food: all logged

Tuesday

Crossfit! My first class in 3 weeks, and I actually pushed myself on the 2-part MetCon. I never set down the bar during a set!! Normally I hold myself back, step back from the bar, and zone out for a solid 5-10 seconds before picking it up again. It felt like a breakthrough! 

Food: all logged

Today started out with cooking breakfast and yoga... So far, so good!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

A very good sign...

Thanks for the runner's yoga link. I need it today as I increased my mileage yesterday and I am feeling it! The BodyFlow stuff sounds interesting, too.

Great job on the CrossFit!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Wednesday: runners yoga in the am.

Thursday: walked with the bf

Friday: early am crossfit. Made 15 rounds on Cindy, which was pretty good! Turns out push ups are my current weakness, so I'll be adding them to my routine at work.

Saturday: man, was I sore from Cindy! My pecs were shot. The day was pretty low key. I helped build a bridge for an hour or so, and went on a short walk in the evening. My bf made me an excellent steak and veggie dinner in the evening, and the day would have been perfect had it not ended with ice cream. Luckily the bucket was about empty, so there was no opportunity to overeat!

I did record my eating all week, but I can feel the stress of the holiday eating season sneaking up on me. In the past, this has been a time of year where my old eating disorder demons reawaken and torment me. I'm going to need a plan...

Sunday: Think if it as a warm-up for Thanksgiving. It started out with the bf and me going to the gym, where I had a great  squat workout (1rep bw without coming close to failing, when I have a spotter I think I'll be at bw+#15). I also got in a little vinyasa, clearing my 5x yoga goal for the week! Woot! 

My parents' church had their thanksgiving dinner, and the entire family was there. I stayed away from the stuffing, focused on the sweet potatoes, and only had one piece of apple pie and a little pumpkin. I just... feel so munchie the rest of the day. In the afternoon it's hard to not walk into the kitchen and even out the pie, snitch that chunk of turkey, pour another glass of cider to sip, and oh, somebody got the chocolate covered almonds out. Engage hand mouth syndrome! It's hard to keep up logging food when you're shoveling so many different bite-sized chunks into your mouth at such a rate. 

I just finished the book the Power of Habit (highly recommend it!) and I know that I'm stuck in a habit cycle for munching during the holidays. It looks something like this:

The-Habit-Cycle.png

To Do this week: figure out how I'm feeling before I start munching. What's my cue, what's driving the cycle?

Besides not going into "perpetual dessert" mode, I did have another success yesterday. I didn't just veg out on the couch after all that eating. First, after the big lunch meal I went on a short walk to the library and returned some books. Crossing things off my to-do list is a stress reliever. In the afternoon, I took apart some lumber I'm going to turn into a knock down bench for my garage and marked it so it's ready to cut tomorrow. Hey, the tool belt fit over my nice leather jacket and Sunday clothes. I also went on a 2 or 3 mi walk with the bf after dinner/before bed. I'm convinced that walking helps digestion!!

Yep, the goals were hit. 

I didn't do my Monday run yesterday because the WOD looked so good... 

5x65%, 5x75%, 5x85% BSquat

2x12 (each leg) Bulgarian split squat (unweighted)

10 rounds for time:

5 pull ups

5 lunges (each leg) 

5 box jumps

5 push ups

11:25

It was a little like Friday's Cindy, and so I worked the last soreness out of my pecs and lats. Back to back squat days, though, have killed my legs!

Also went to Bodyflow last night and ate pretty well yesterday. Got the trash kettle corn out of my house, too. Woot! Today, I think, needs be a rest day... 

Tuesday was a grad rest day, although I evaded up with a little bit of a carb binge at the end of the day. Wednesday morning I woke up still carb buzzed. I had slept through my crossfit class. So I laced up my running shoes and made up for Monday with a 5.5mi jaunt in the fog. My knees and feet were a little sore by the end; I think it's time to terminate distance increases and start running shorter, faster, oftener.

I ate really well until yesterday evening, when the bf and I started making pie for family Thanksgiving. I think I must have eaten 2 slices worth of guts and crust scraps, in addition to the slice of pumpkin pie. I really hope I survive today!

Well Thanksgiving was a bit of a nutritional disaster, but not as bad as last year. I did not munch on the leftovers quite so badly through the afternoon, nor did I eat myself sick. Uncomfortable, but not sick. There was a midnight ice cream snack while my cousins, sister, and me were waiting for my Oma to get back from the ER. We were having fun. 

Friday wasn't a good eating day either. I ate close to a calorie neutral day, but still felt bloated from Thanksgiving. Even after spending an hour doing easy cardio (elliptical) on Saturday AM, I was still feeling bleh. The snacking at my parents' house that evening didn't help either, but again I didn't technically over-eat. It just felt like it. 

Today I was on the road, heading to the company Christmas party in Quebec. I generally eat light on the days that I travel, and today was no exception. By the time I was changing planes in Montreal, I was feeling a little better. With any luck I'll actually be hungry at breakfast in the morning. I'm looking forward to making better food decisions this week. I'm on Per Diem, so I have a little extra cash to splurge on exactly what sounds good. Right now, that's grilled chicken on salad with lots of veggies... maybe for dinner tomorrow!

I'm about to do yoga tonight, which puts me at 4 out of my goal of 5 for the week. I did run my 5 miles, and I have logged everything (although it was painful on Thanksgiving, and the values are generous approximations!)

So, this week has been a mix. I'm currently in Québec City for work meetings and a Christmas party. The first two meals of the day have been pretty much predetermined for me, and I'll admit I haven"t been the best at avoiding things I know will be bad for me. A little too much coffee, and today a stop at Tim Hortons which filled me with many TimBits, a "vanilla" latte, and a piercing sugar headache. In addition, I've had alcohol twice this week (I haven't had alcohol in 2 months). Tomorrow is the party, which more than likely means back to back nights drinking... this isn't my habit!

On the plus side, I did my 5mi monday run (on an elliptical - my running shorts won't fly in sub-zero!) and have done 3 days of yoga this week. My FitBit has made me really aware about how much I've been moving, and I have yet to miss a day of food logs. My walking habit has been balancing out some of my screwed up eating. Even tonight, we walked from dinner up the hill for drinks and then back. After walking the city in 5*f temps last night I ran a 9:30 mile on the treadmill. It wouldn't have been impressive except that I was in my barefoot shoes and did the last 1/4 mile at a 7:30 pace. I'm getting the impression that if I started working on my pacing with intervals I could run a sub-7:30 this winter. Exciting! I really can't wait to get back to my cf gym and barbell lifts, but really I'm not feeling too bad. 

I forgot to mention earlier - the day after Thanksgiving I hit my "Bonus goal" and dead lifted #220. Figured I better put the turkey to good use!

• Like 1

You were right about the derailment. I really don't feel bad! The shear distance that I moved made up for the lack of nutritional value in my food. I will say, though, that I did not work out my triceps/chest hard enough. Dips were really difficult yesterday! Next week is going to be another week of travelling for work, but there won't be any parties and I will have more freedom in what I eat for lunch/dinner. Plus, no major parties! It's going to be a lot of mall walking and watching football in the rec...  

I came up 1 yoga practice short last week, but hit my other goals. 

I tried to go on a run yesterday and got a killer side-ache. Instead I ended up running .5 mi and walking the other 2.5. I'm not sure about running the rest of this week due to weather (we're in for high winds with rain), but I do think that I'll hit the goal on the treadmill.

• Like 1

Well, the past 2 days the treadmill/elliptical boredom has been helped by TV's. Nothing like a football game to distract you :)

Last week the bf andI went on two night hikes that were great fun. We certainly didn't move fast, but we had great fun!

I'm travelling for work again this week. Michigan doesn't have much in the ways of continuous sidewalks or great weather (at least in December), so I'm resorting to the hotel gym for the week. At least the place I'm staying has a nice setup with a foam roller (!), sauna (!!), and pull up bar (!!!).

Choosing the hotel with the pull up bar paid off. I hardly walked this week, but spent several hours on the elliptical/treadmill, already have 4 yoga sessions in, and did some light/easy dumbbell lifting. My one mistake was the day I met up with a friend from college at Buffalo Wild Wings in Lansing... The wings were good, but never again will I order the Dessert Nachos to split between 2 people. 4+, maybe. 4 scoops ice cream, 8 fried cheesecake bites, all on a fried tortilla and drizzled with caramel and chocolate sauces. I had a pretty serious food hangover the next day!

I can't believe that it's over already! Recapping my goals:

Yoga (preferably AM) 5x/wk. (+DEX, WIS)

Run >5mi/wk. that can be two 3 mile runs, or one 5 mile run. Just as long as I'm moving! (+STA)

keep a daily record of what I eat on myfitnesspal. (+CONS)

-----------

My results:

I made 22 of the 25 yoga sessions I should have, in addition to finishing my yoga mat bag. I have seen a huge improvement in my flexibility, especially in my crummy quads and hammies. (+2 DEX, +2WIS)

I made a couple of wells actually running, but more recently my workouts have involved treadmills and ellipticals. In Michigan and Quebec I didn't have much choice! I did walk quite a bit there, though, in addition to doing activities that spiked my heart rate. In short, I did move, but not exactly in the way I'd hoped. So I'm knocking a point off for that. My next challenge will have to focus on more actual running, since I'll be training for a Ragnar! (+4 STA)

I've set a personal record, logging into myfitnesspal 50 days in a row. Complete success! It's turned into a great to when I'm working at home. Knowing certainly that I've eaten enough helps me focus my bored/nervous energy into something besides eating (push ups, anyone?) (+5 CON)

In addition to ask that, I hit my bonus goal of lifting 100kg. Woot! And, I got on the scale a few days ago. I'm down 5lbs and feeling like I'm back in my healthy zone. Time to start packing on the muscle again! Crossfit starts next week!! (+1 STR)