Challenge Accepted!

lor

Hi, my name is Lorelei and I'm excited to start getting back into shape!  My good friend Lairpie introduced me to the 6 week challenge, and it's just what I need to get going :)  I grew up playing outside a lot, played competitive sports, and have been a gamer since my friend brought over his original PS1 and he showed me Final Fantasy VII.  At my worst, I didn't give a thought to what I was putting into my body, how it was affecting me, or what I was doing in terms of exercise (which was pretty much nothing).  I was an endgame raid leader in World of Warcraft, and while I made some great relationships through the game, it became a job and took over my life.  I stopped raiding in 2009 I think, but I still didn't take care of my health.  Looking back, I'm pretty lucky that my lack of care for myself didn't do a lot more harm than it did and I don't have any health issues now.

Fast forward to 2011 - I got engaged and suddenly I cared a lot about my body.  I became an avid Paleo/Primal fan and fitness geek.  I started out by doing a couple BeachBody programs, and completed my last week of P90X shortly before spring vacation to Key West.  That was the best I've looked and felt so far!  I kept up with workouts (albeit infrequent) until our September wedding, but I was slipping off the wagon.  P90X was just not doing it for me anymore.  I learned about Crossfit from a gym junkie friend who now owns a box with her husband, and I was hooked!  I did WODs at home that I took from a blog I followed.  I got my husband into it.  We did a Whole30 together even though we were already eating pretty well, and we both saw great results.

I got pregnant in December, and continued to work out 3+ times a week.  We joined our friends' box in February 2013, and the last workout of my pregnancy was 3 days before my daughter was born last August.  I had a double major surgery when she was born due to my appendix rupturing (that's the super short version of our story) and it took me longer than the average delivery to recover.  Once I was healed up, I tried getting back into the box.  I've spent the last year putting it off over and over.  It's time!

Now, I'm a little bit above my pre-pregnancy weight and have some muscle to regain.  I rarely make time for myself; my workout after work used to be my unwind from the day and I sorely miss it.  I want to get fit again to keep up with my daughter and future children, to set a good example for them, and to feel better and happier about myself!

Here is what I looked like at my worst, in July 2008:

post-33851-0-09864700-1416253596_thumb.j

And here is where I looked and felt my best so far, in April 2011:

post-33851-0-24134400-1416253727_thumb.j

This was a little less than a week before my daughter was born in August 2013:

post-33851-0-86477200-1416253816_thumb.j

And this is now, well, a couple weeks ago:

post-33851-0-98145800-1416253859_thumb.j

Main Quest:

Lose 7 pounds

Subquest 1:

Walk/jog/run/jump/dance an extra 2 miles daily.  I have two active dogs who would benefit from the extra exercise, and I'm sure my daughter would get a huge kick out of Zumba or general dancing in the living room :)

Subquest 2:

Do bodyweight exercises daily: 30 each squats/lunges/pushups/situps, 6x10 second plank.  Each week increment reps of movements and seconds of plank by 5, so by week 6 I'll do 55 of each movement and 35 second plank.  I plan to break this up throughout the day to use it as a get-up-and-go workout in the morning and a way to get moving at various points in the day.

Subquest 3:

Eat fewer empty carbs and overall calories, especially later in the night, while eating more satisfying fat and protein.  I'm already doing okay at this, but I end up snacking at 10 PM a lot of nights or grabbing a handful of chips or veggie straws instead of something more fulfilling.

Life Quest:

Manage my stress better.  I don't make time for myself because I either feel obligated to do work when I really don't need to, or I stress about doing all of the things around the house.  I need to leave my job at the door when I walk out, and will try to share more of the household duties with my husband.

Motivation:

post-33851-0-22801200-1416253923_thumb.jpost-33851-0-21608200-1416253951_thumb.j

• Like 1
Level 0 Human Adventurer
STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

"Where should I go?" -Alice. "That depends on where you want to end up." - The Cheshire Cat.
― Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Awesome, another member for Team Vegas (albeit a long-distance one). Maybe we'll have to adopt a new team name as I think we're getting an additional remote buddy.

We have an accountabilibuddy thread here Lorelei if you wanna subscribe. As soon as i get a chance (probably tonight) it will also include me whining about eating too much pie this weekend (I was fully prepared to eat a slice of pie and have no regrets, having done really well all week and not lose any ground, then was ambushed by 2 additional pies!) and my plans for holding off such future pie attacks as will be quite likely given the time of year.

Also, if you want to go full nerd, you can do the whole stat point thing like i did in my post. Just need to pick out how to split up 14 total stat points between your 4 goals. charisma, stamina, dexterity, wisdom, strength, constitution. More info on stat RP but this part is completely optional. Then you can earn some additional stat points through the mini challenges like the week 1 challenge assessing your goals.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Challenges: 4-Warrior, 3-Assassin, 2-Adventurer, 1-Recruit

Battlelog

Go ahead and laugh all you want to, I got my philosophy and I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down -Ben Fold's Five "Philosophy"

2014-11-17 Battle Log

Edited to add:  I did pretty well with my eating goal too.  I did have a sub for lunch, but breakfast and dinner were fairly light on empty carbs and I didn't eat anything after about 8:30 PM.

Level 0 Human Adventurer

"Where should I go?" -Alice. "That depends on where you want to end up." - The Cheshire Cat.

2014-11-18 Battle Log

Strong breakfast, lunch and dinner in the low empty carbs department.  Had a handful of cashews between breakfast and lunch, and two small pita chips with hummus shortly after my workout.

Will make my MFP journal public and link it here for added accountability :)

Level 0 Human Adventurer

Welcome Lorelei to the NF forums. I'm Lullaby, one of the Ambassadors for the Assassins' Guild. We got a funny group of dancers on our side and we tend to do mostly body weight exercises. So I think you'll be a good fit with us. :) Also, you can post your updates here and use your battle log for in-between the challenges. Or link to it like you're doing. Just don't forget to check in here. :)

In case you haven't explored the Assassins' Guild yet, here's a link to more information about us. We also have a Q&A chat thread for Level 1's where you can stop by and ask any questions you might have. We also have an Assassin Phonebook that lists the skills of our Assassin so be sure to check it out. 

There's also a chat thread called the Assassins' Den where we hang out and chat. If you have any questions, I as well as the other Assassins are happy to help you out. You can reach me by using the private messenger system (click the envelope at the top right of the screen) or you can post on my thread.

Can't wait to see how your first challenge goes.
-Lullaby

• Like 1

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

Thanks Lullaby!  I'll definitely check out the Assassins' Guild info :)

Here's my 2014-11-19 and 2014-11-20 Battle Log.

• Like 2
Level 0 Human Adventurer

Edited to add:  I did pretty well with my eating goal too.  I did have a sub for lunch, but breakfast and dinner were fairly light on empty carbs and I didn't eat anything after about 8:30 PM.

I think you've discovered something there - days where I don't eat after 7:00pm, I don't open Pandora's cookie tin for a late night carb spree! 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I think you've discovered something there - days where I don't eat after 7:00pm, I don't open Pandora's cookie tin for a late night carb spree! 

Haha, yeah, the trick is having dinner ready on time!

I haven't updated my battle log in too long.  Doing that now.  Also made my MFP journal public :)

Level 0 Human Adventurer

It seems like you're doing well, from your log!  Make sure to rest the knee properly (it seems as though you are doing this!) to avoid further injury... way to go on the walking!

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Oy, I got completely derailed by injury and illness between my knee and a nasty respiratory virus that had me home for two weeks.  I'm better enough to start keeping up again.  I did do a lot of the extra distance and some of the movements while sick, as I felt that getting my blood pumping would be helpful.  I'll update my battle log.

I also need to revise my goals, something I talked to Lairpie about awhile back.  I'm basically going from no exercise to a lot all at once, and have been inundated with stress from my job.  I missed the first week where we go back and re-assess, so I don't know if I still can now.  I was definitely overconfident in my current fitness level.

• Like 1
Level 0 Human Adventurer

You can do the mini dungeon things a bit late, yes. There's not exactly a lot of rules involved, whatever makes you be a better you, people will generally support :-)

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Challenges: 4-Warrior, 3-Assassin, 2-Adventurer, 1-Recruit

Battlelog

Go ahead and laugh all you want to, I got my philosophy and I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down -Ben Fold's Five "Philosophy"

Oy, I got completely derailed by injury and illness between my knee and a nasty respiratory virus that had me home for two weeks.  I'm better enough to start keeping up again.  I did do a lot of the extra distance and some of the movements while sick, as I felt that getting my blood pumping would be helpful.  I'll update my battle log.

I also need to revise my goals, something I talked to Lairpie about awhile back.  I'm basically going from no exercise to a lot all at once, and have been inundated with stress from my job.  I missed the first week where we go back and re-assess, so I don't know if I still can now.  I was definitely overconfident in my current fitness level.

You can do the mini dungeon things a bit late, yes. There's not exactly a lot of rules involved, whatever makes you be a better you, people will generally support :-)

This!  Do what will help you improve.  Sometimes, goals need to change.  It's not uncommon to be out the gate sprinting only to realize you're not quite able to keep that pace up for a full marathon!  Improvements come a bit at a time.

Is there anything we can do to help you reassess and get back on a positive track?

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

You can always reassess and revise your goals!!!

If you're not sure where and how to start over, send me a PM and we can come up with something for the next challenge!!

obstacles2.jpg

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

Hmm, I thought I posted a reply a few days ago but it didn't post, I might have just not hit submit... At any rate, thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm glad to have your support!

In order to make my goals more realistically achievable, l would change the movement goals to 1 additional mile daily and 3 days a week of the body weight movement. The diet goal should remain the same, being injured didn't really affect that and being sick only minorly.

With the reduction to more manageable goals, I'd then change my overall goal to lose 4 lbs. Essentially I cut everything in half.

I would not say I have done my best with this challenge. I let too many things get in the way when I could have pushed through or made time. I am definitely looking forward to the first challenge of 2015 and doing it right (and not starting a week late)!!!

• Like 1
Level 0 Human Adventurer