• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

davidahaines

Quick, What's your favorite workout and why?

I've discovered recently that I really enjoy EMOM lifting workouts. It really helps keep me focused. Not that have I have a problem with staying focused but I just like having a very specific structure around that. For examples a few we've done during our last 12-week strength cycle at my CrossFit gym are:

EMOM for 16 minutes: snatch (same weight for all attempts). You get up to 5 misses for a possible total of 21 attempts.

EMOM for 9 minutes: front squat 3-2-1. So the first minute do 3, second do 2, 3rd do 3. 4th minute do 3 at the previous 2-rep weight, 4th minute do 2 at the previous 1-rep weight, increase for the 5th minute. Then follow the same pattern for the last three minutes. 

Also another workout I enjoy is heavy "Cindy" (5 pullups/10 pushups/15 squats). Every 3 rounds do 5 deadlifts, or another variation had do a heavy-ish snatch every 3 rounds.

Today we are doing one of my favorites "The Chief" which is 3 power cleans, 6 pushups 9 squats for 5 rounds of 3 minutes each (1 minute rest in between.)

Basically the theme for me is, something involving a barbell but not high reps, with built in rest. :) If it involves snatching, so much the better! 

It is a race, not a workout, but the Advanced 1 category of the NorthShore Inline Marathon in September is pretty much the reason I race inlines.  Beautiful route, crazy fast speeds (averaging around 20 mph), and skating in a huge pack.  Otherwise, pack practices with the outdoor team in Chicago are a solid #2 on the list.

For weights, deadlifts.  I don't know why, I just like picking the heavy stuff up off the ground.  I have this round I do on Mondays right now that supersets Rear Squats, Poliquin Squats, and Split Squats followed by Dead Lifts, Romanian Dead Lifts, and Kettlebell swings.  Two fast rounds takes about 35 minutes with warm up.

My single favorite exercise is the power clean. There's something about picking up a heavy weight from the floor and throwing it to my shoulders that is just fun. Also nothing else quite gives the same burn.

Well, that and deadlifts. I love deads, but probably because they are my strongest lift.

As Missycochran said, 5x5 Stronglifts is really fun.

My current FAVORITES though are Pullups and Deadlifts. Pullups since they were always so daunting a few years back, and deadlifts because lifting heavy things rocks.