rust from the gears

challenge #2. it begins.

from  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/58952-crash-loots-the-fortress/

the fortress has been crashed, first challenge down.  now what?  obviously i cannot leave the fortress until it has been cleared.  

lingering goals - complete an obstacle race in 2015. this is still pending, trying to calendar and recruit a team, but i have several prospects and i'm currently narrowing down.

level the skills - can't forget about habits developed in the last challenge,  i have a routine, i drink so much damn water i'm turning into aquaman (yesss), stretching and rehabbing has already made a difference, and t-rexing is all but extinct (get it?). well we don't ignore our level skills do we? we do not, we build on them and discover how to take them to the next level!

and now to loot the fortress!

- slay the gremlins (+1 DEX, +1 WIS) - there are always low level baddies hiding, find them and crush them!  watch those sneaky calories - continue eating like a champ and keep it to ~2500 a day, cumulative.

- level up (+2 STR, +1 CON) - grinding away levels up strength a bit at a time. continuing my asskicking BW program, incorporate weight days to hit my big three lifting goals - 200lbs bench, 270 squat, 315 DL.

- get up, son! (+ 1 CON, +1 DEX) - no really, get up.  there are nooks and crannies that reward only the most committed.  hit the gym early in the morn one day a week. i hate mornings, time to channel the hate, let it flow through me.

- get down, son! (+ 1 WIS, +1 CHA) - a tired assassin is an ineffective assassin. i am a night owl, i am the night. but sadly i'm an adult who needs to function.  get my ass to bed before 11:30 5 days a week.

- kill the dungeon master (+2 STA, +1 DEX) - find the pattern, use the weakness, stab it in the face.  if my ubergoal is to run an adventure race i must be able to 1.adventure and 2.run an actual distance.  thusly incorporate running out of doors to the regular cardio routine - running 5k solid.

last but not least

- adulting (+1 CHA, +1 WIS) - get focused and get creative.  i need lists, when i focus i am infinitely productive, do it!  ADHD is no excuse to not be productive. no vidja games during the week!  i used to art. why don't i art more? make things!

- bonus (+1 CHA) - get a massage. i know this sounds ridiculous.  i was given a coupon for a free (legit, non-shady)massage, and prospect of someone i don't know doing massagy things shakes my introverted socially awkward persona to the core. however, this coupon expires in feb.  SUCK IT UP, IT'S FREE.

are you intimidated?

NiWeZFK.gif

i'm intimidated.

9Jfbyr0.gif

here we go.

• Like 1

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

STR:20 | DEX:13 | STA:13.5 | CON:13 | WIS:17 | CHA:16

battle log

there are far better things ahead than what we leave behind - CS Lewis

find out what you're afraid of, and go live there - Chuck Palahniuk 

- get up, son! (+ 1 CON, +1 DEX) - no really, get up.  there are nooks and crannies that reward only the most committed.  hit the gym early in the morn one day a week. i hate mornings, time to channel the hate, let it flow through me.

a79587336732556e8041bad6fda7016d97231537

Also, I'm not intimidated. You're killing it.

And, if you'll still have me- I'm completely down with running that 5k with you in June <3

• Like 1

Gunslinger in Training

Battle Log

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

the good - it is done.  well, the first one anyway.  got up at 6am. i was so angry, and you better believe i channeled that.  got in a light workout (including 6x190lb bench, yesss) and swam 1/2 mile.  

the bad - apparently i have "cubital tunnel syndrome" - think carpal tunnel but elbows.  which sucks, because i essentially pinch a nerve in my elbows when i bend them all the way... you know like in pull ups.  got an appt to see an orthopedist next week, but it pisses me off and make me feel fragile. 

the ugly - managing this crap means less total body work out - not ok.  swimming doesn't seem to bother it, which is baller, but i'm heading today to get some touch up work done on a tattoo and schedule my next one, which puts me out of the pool for a couple weeks.  ugh.

cAJ85Ot.gif

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

battle log

the good - it is done.  well, the first one anyway.  got up at 6am. i was so angry, and you better believe i channeled that.  got in a light workout (including 6x190lb bench, yesss) and swam 1/2 mile.  

the bad - apparently i have "cubital tunnel syndrome" - think carpal tunnel but elbows.  which sucks, because i essentially pinch a nerve in my elbows when i bend them all the way... you know like in pull ups.  got an appt to see an orthopedist next week, but it pisses me off and make me feel fragile. 

the ugly - managing this crap means less total body work out - not ok.  swimming doesn't seem to bother it, which is baller, but i'm heading today to get some touch up work done on a tattoo and schedule my next one, which puts me out of the pool for a couple weeks.  ugh.

the good - kick ass! and yay for swimming!

the bad - :( hope the appointment goes well and your doctor has helpful non-surgical recommendations.  

the ugly - yeah that blows.  have you thought about maybe switching up your routine and focusing on mobility work or something, at least until A) your tattoos have healed up some and B) you find out what your orthopedist says?  Just an idea. 

• Like 2
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

the good - kick ass! and yay for swimming!

the bad - :( hope the appointment goes well and your doctor has helpful non-surgical recommendations.  

the ugly - yeah that blows.  have you thought about maybe switching up your routine and focusing on mobility work or something, at least until A) your tattoos have healed up some and B) you find out what your orthopedist says?  Just an idea. 

thanks! and yeah that's the plan. i hate that the appt isn't until next week, but ah well.  

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

battle log

Bummer dude!  I know how you feel!!  

Goldfish Green

level: 1   Challenge 1, 2

STR:1 | DEX:2 | STA:2 | CON:3 | WIS:4 | CHA:4

Quest Tracking for this Challenge:

Lifting 3 times a week:           OOO|---|---|---|---|---

Currently Squatting: 5 lbs  (goal is 25 lbs this challenge)

Tracking Protein: ooooo--|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------

"o" means successful and "x" means unsuccessful that day)

ok rough couple of weeks.  but two down.  i've done two mini challenges.  but i've been crazy busy, and still managed to keep things in check.  

- slay the gremlins - this is getting more natural, which was the goal.  on days like yesterday when i really hit it hard it's actually a challenge to get 2500.  i had to eat a stick butter before bed.  kidding.

- level up - hit my bench PR yesterday.  crushed by bench goal yesterday.  got 200lbx5.  the other two are in progress, but as i might be stricken from using my arms for a bit (more on that later) that was key.  

- get up, son! - who am i? i got up early to hit the gym twice this week, and once last week.  i will not three times next week, no chance.  that morning hate really fuels a workout.

- get down, son! - it's surprisingly challenging to get my ass to bed.  but it's working pretty well, and i think i'm sleeping better.  had some seriously weird dreams though.

- kill the dungeon master - progress.  my bum is still sore from pulling the hammy, but some light machine leg curls help me warm the bum before doing anything.  it's been frickin disgusting (yes, for two weeks straight) so i haven't hit the outside yet.  feel free to lambaste me for being a pansy, but know that i'll stab you in the face... or not.

last but not least

- adulting - i have played no video games during the week, which is good considering how much i've had to do.  writing writng writing.  things will slow down after this weekend, but solid start there.  still part of me wants to yell

ZgT2muK.gif

- bonus - scheduling the massage today.  on the way to my dr's appt.

0XpeBRN.gif

i'll find something out about the whole nerve damage issue.  stupid things.  i did pull ups this morning just to spite.. me?  ugh.

on the plus side, i got my tattoo appt moved to thursday, so i'll have a solid month out of the pool (for now) and then back to it.  

also, i'll be updating a bit more after i survive this weekend, and there will be fewer duplicates from my challenge thread.  because i know everyone reads both to check for discrepancies.

• Like 1

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

battle log

had a conference this weekend, so i couldn't update.  had my doc apt on thursday.  turns out i have medial epicondylitis, or "golfer's elbow".  from all the golf i play.  

s7VMfpc.gif

on the plus side, my doc is pretty cool.  his solution, some stretching therapy and "if it hurts, don't do it".  plus i have to sleep with my arm in a pillow... for science.  except it to keep my arm straight.  long term, if it doesn't work: cortisone shots, even longer term: very small chance of surgery.  so major bonus for that but it sucks to be fragile...

dWYXanw.gif

i've adjusted my workout, will continue to do so.  to be continued! 

• Like 1

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

battle log

update!

so i'm not going to make my squat/DL goal, but i've already made my bench goal.  the adjusted workout is helping with the elbow shiz.  i'm slowly healing i think.  but i can do curls w 20lb dumbells and not hurt. 

CVwonZs.gif

but i've upped the reps and doing rehab stuff, so i'm actually feeling it.

oh, and i got my reward on thurs  :D

HF4CFowl.jpg

bed times and getting up are still rockin and rollin.  i've actually been getting up two days a week on average, and kinda enjoying it.

mLtyZ9u.gif

who am i?

but to be honest, when i'm up that early it's the rage that fuels my workout.

• Like 1

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

battle log

i have spoken too soon.  shocking.

i went straight beast mode this morning.

Ax2gi5k.gif

i'm 5lbs away from my squat goal, and 20 away from my DL. i might could have gotten more on DL but i ended with it and had no belt... didn't want to harm myself, because let's be honest i would have.

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

battle log

so it's not as much of shock as it was last time, but i was feelin it this morning.  3 new PR's today.  275x5 squats, 320x1 deadlift, 30x30" box jumps.  

hulk smash.

lVaSkQ7.gif

i've nailed almost every one of my goals for this challenge, i might be a bit wonky due to "golf elbow" but dammit i feel good. 

• Like 1

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

battle log

challenge over!

D8ZJZtF.gif

LAVuS67h.jpg

ok, final update.

i got sick.  just for a few days, but it still sucked.  i didn't want to drag it out  because well, i respond very specifically to being sick.

DcKJzde.gif

BUT!  before getting sick i made progress and nailed almost every goal i had.

- slay the gremlins - the calories were tough at first, but once i got a feel for it they worked out pretty well.

- level up - crushed.  200lb bench, 275lb squat, 315 dl.  all during early workouts, go figure.

- get up, son! - as you saw above, the rage fueled workouts got the job done.  at up at least one day a week, sometime two because i'm insane.  it's really nice being one of the few people there under 70.

- get down, son! - i have references. before 11:30 5, sometimes 6 days a week.  it's quite nice.

- kill the dungeon master - the dungeon master is weakened, but not dead. i found the pattern, i'm on the way.  weather kept me from running outside as much as i'd like, but i hit the treadmill regularly for 3miles.  it's happening, but not yet.  1/2 credit.

- adulting - no video games on worknights, check.  creating things?  i did a few small things and brewed a batch of beer.  another one on the way this weekend.  totally counts.

- bonus i haven't gotten the massage yet, but it's scheduled for friday.  judging by the tension just making the appt caused it'l be worth it.  i give myself 1/2 credit on that one.

wee!

XT3U3j2.gif

since the challenge ended last week... i'll add a bit.

during a monster workout friday at rep 27 of 30 i nailed my shin on the plyo box. i finished the last 4 reps (doesn't count if you fall) and realized that i had taken a chunk out of my shin.  i won't post pics, but long story short i'm a couple ounces lighter and have an updated tetanus shot.

this morning i got back in, bandaged up to avoid grossing anyone out.  

and squatted 305. 5 times.  

finished DL, box jumps, burpees, and biked for 30 minutes.  but seriously. 305. my body's going to hate me.

9Jfbyr0.gif

worth it.

• Like 3

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

battle log

One: I'm mad you put a spider gif in your thread, and then let me read it- without any forewarning whatsoever. /me shudders

Two: You rocked that challenge. Every night going to bed when you're supposed to, that's adulting so hard I can't even talk to you right now.

Three: 3-zero-five. I'm so impressed I had to pick my jaw up off the floor just to be able to write this post.

200.gif

That's you, Tiger, before the challenge...

200.gif

And that's you now. You've officially levelled up, homeslice! Congratulations on earning those stripes (and scars :playful:, and tetnus shots).

Gunslinger in Training

Battle Log

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

i'm not dead yet!

h6cQP2T.jpg

so... i've been absent longer than i thought.  i knew i was crazy busy, but well...

mLtyZ9u.gif

it caught me a bit off guard.

i haven't neglected anything, still trucking along with all of my previous goals.  some of my PR's have suffered a bit due to travel and maintenance mode, nothing major though.  hopefully i'll be updating more regularly since things have settled down.  but...

oLtcDPE.jpg

summer is coming.  my schedule will get crazy.

somehow i've managed to lose 10lbs, so there's that.  in the mean time...

JfaIdGn.gif

i'll be here doing my thing.  

until next time.

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

battle log

qdngffy.gif

i'm still alive!  

things are slowing down.  i'm still rockin and rollin.  been trying to keep up, but the travel has made it really difficult.

i was in NYC last week, and did a LOT of walking.

uA3V2yp.gif

i mean a shitload of walking.  almost 100 miles in 6 days.  

o3rcG8Y.gif

it was kind of awesome to be able to walk everywhere, but that much isn't sustainable, and of course i'd die if i tried to walk around here.  kinda weird to do that much but not have any kind of work out, gym or otherwise. hit the gym up today, and i can already feel it, tomorrow...

3PECNZV.gif

ok. peace out kids.

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

battle log

i have returned!  

aD6qbHw.gif

i mean i didn't really go anywhere, but that's the problem.  i got all slackery because of a crazy schedule and traveling.  i tried to keep things going when i was around, but the whole thing kinda caught me off guard.

mLtyZ9u.gif

so... here we go.  this is my current challenge.  

challege link

i'll keep it updated for this challenge since it's my first back.  and this is still here so i'll do something eventually.  i know you're all waiting patiently and expectantly.  i'll be around.

UiwEPKD.gif

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

battle log