Project SuperMom

Lauri-b

Okay, so this is my first challenge, but not the first attempt to make major health and fitness changes. I have been stuck in this 'good enough' routine where I workout, but my diet is inconsistent. So this six weeks it will be different. I am a mom and student but that doesn't mean I cannot be healthy, strong and fit! So here are my goals:

1. Stick to the Paleo based diet. I am allowing peanut butter because I have a giant jar to finish, but no more than a tablespoon a day.

2. Strength train 3 times a week and run or jump rope for at least 20 minutes a week.

3. Work to complete a full pull-up and hopefully more

4. I am hoping that I will indirectly reach the goal of losing inches around my waist and achieving a flatter stomach.

Life Goals:

1. Reduce stress and relax more with my family.

2. Pick at least on fun active activity to do with my daughter every day and read with her for at least 15 minutes a day

3. Do something every day to let my husband know how much I love and appreciate him.

4. Get the puppy potty trained!

Okay, so this sucks but for motivation I need to post the dreaded before pic....

http://nerdfitness.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=872&d=1319422575

Well, I made it through day one! I wanted to run this morning but it was so foggy I couldn't see my hand in front of my face, so I did 20 minutes of interval jump roping. I was telling someone, no mentioning of names, about my new diet and they said through a mouthful of pizza that the paleo diet was unhealthy because we need carbs like oats and wheat. I smiled and ate my snack- apples, carrots and chicken. I am proud of myself for not arguing and not caving in and eating pizza too!

Well, I did great on day 2! I ate well all day, even when we went to the Chinese Buffet. Luckily they had a grill where I could choose my veggies and meat. Then I had melon for dessert. My fortune cookie said 'all you need now is a little determination', the fortune cookie people finally got it right! I have been spending more time with my daughter and reading with her 15 minutes everyday. My stress level has been better, though it was tough this evening to keep cool. I just get sort of tense up and its hard to let it go at times. But so far so good, I just have to remind myself of the mom I want to be. :) I even got my closet and laundry room organized! Thanks nerd fitness for the inspiration I needed to get started!

Awesome, go you! I'm a brand new Geek Mom (got a 2 month baby boy), so I'm all of a sudden looking around to see how other Geek Moms do it. Keep up the good work!

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Day 3 was great! I carved a jack-o-lantern with my daughter and we used the leftover pumpkin to make Paleo pumpkin banana bread. Well, it would have been paleo without the peanut butter, but I am still finishing a giant jar of it. Once it's gone, probably by the end of the week, I will get almond butter instead. I ran today 6 minutes of 1 minute walking/1 minute running to warm up and then 15 minutes of 1 minute walking/ 2 minutes running. I want to get back up to running 30 minutes straight because I would love to do a 5k again! Oh, I never posted my measurements, I am 5'9, started at 137lbs and I measured my waist right over my belly button and it was 31 inches even. Hopefully I could lose at the very least 1 1/2 inches from my waist, preferably a full 2. I really don't care how much I weigh as long as I am seeing changes.

So far I have been doing my own version of the advanced body weight routine which includes three sets of 5 pull ups with a chair and three sets of 5 chin ups with a chair. Is there anything else I should do?

Negative pull ups! I did pull ups with a chair for months and no real progress towards a full pull up, one to two weeks of negatives and I'm getting close to double digit full pull up territory.

Good luck!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

I did really well today, except once I got home I was a little stressed out. But I did notice it and work to calm myself down. I did well in the diet department because they were passing out these chocolate covered Oreo cookies with candy corn on top at work. WTF? That kind of stuff only happens once you've decided not to eat it! But I passed and I am happy I did. I increased the reps on some of the exercises in my workout like the squats and I think I am going to add more push-ups and negative pull-ups. (thanks scarletlevy) I am doing really good in diet and exercise but I need to work more on stress and family. I have trouble with thinking about all the things I have to get done rather than focusing on some time to relax. But I think I will go practice right now. now!

Okay so I have been reading more about diet on Mark's Daily Apple and I know there are a few things that I use in my diet that are holding me back. I want to take out bananas. I love them but I know that they are very high in carbs and higher up on the GI. Also, honey is something I consider on my occasional list. I was using it just in a cup of green tea but as my body is trying to adjust to the new diet I think it started craving the honey and I have been going a little crazy with it. So I will only allow honey during the holidays when I make a primal dessert to bring, like on Thanks Giving, during this challenge. Otherwise, no bananas and no honey. I think it will be tough because I have been so used to always having something sweet but I really want to do well during this six weeks challenge. Also, I want to concentrate more on stopping when I am full but, that may have to wait until I am fully adjusted to the new diet.

How's the puppy training going? I remember those days. We got our guy when he was 2 old. After about 4 months of training he would go days between accidents but still have the odd one. Can't remember at what point that stopped. Sure glad he is trained now. It's my first dog, so cleaning up after him all the time was a tough way to start the dog experience for me. I am officially a dog lover now though

Its going okay since I have started putting up a gate in the kitchen while I do homework and can't watch her. She always goes when I take her outside but won't ask to go out. Plus, she chews everything! But she is fun and I think she will make a great running partner when she is older.

Today went well I ran today- 1/1minute intervals walking/running and then 4 rounds 1 minute walking/ 2:30 running. I was really hungry once I got home, but stuck to paleo foods even if I did eat alot of it! The dog only had one accident, I am staying up late to watch a movie with my hubbie and I am about to go read with my daughter.

Your challenges are the best. Seriously, puppies? Daughters? Husband happiness? You're awesome. Adding paleo and pullups to the mix is like a dream come true. Keep it up and keep us in the loop.

Great job resisting pizza and criticism. People say we need grains because they want grains. Eat more greens, eat more meat, eat more nuts. It'll be fine staying away from grains and oats if you're able to resist so early. Congrats and keep going.

Keepin' it real, keepin' it simple... keepin' it real simple.

Your challenges are the best. Seriously, puppies? Daughters? Husband happiness? You're awesome. Adding paleo and pullups to the mix is like a dream come true. Keep it up and keep us in the loop.

Great job resisting pizza and criticism. People say we need grains because they want grains. Eat more greens, eat more meat, eat more nuts. It'll be fine staying away from grains and oats if you're able to resist so early. Congrats and keep going.

Thanks for the support! I figure if I can get all of these habits down in six weeks it will help me to make those changes permanent for the rest of my life!

I rock! I did great sticking to Paleo foods today, even when we went to the buffet which had a freakin' chocolate fountain to dip fruit, marshmallows and rice crispy treats in! I helped my daughter dip a couple of strawberries for her and then put a few pieces of plain fruit on my plate! Woo Hoo! The dog is still having accidents in the house but I think it is getting better. I have still found my stress level up at times but I am noticing it and calming myself down most of the time. I think the first step is to realize when I am stressed and try to control it. I have relaxed more with my family but it has been difficult to really set aside fun time the past few days. I think that should be me major focus for tomorrow. I am seeing physica changes in the mirror but I don't want to post pics until two weeks when the changes will be more obvious in a photo.

I rock! I did great sticking to Paleo foods today, even when we went to the buffet which had a freakin' chocolate fountain to dip fruit, marshmallows and rice crispy treats in! I helped my daughter dip a couple of strawberries for her and then put a few pieces of plain fruit on my plate! Woo Hoo! The dog is still having accidents in the house but I think it is getting better. I have still found my stress level up at times but I am noticing it and calming myself down most of the time. I think the first step is to realize when I am stressed and try to control it. I have relaxed more with my family but it has been difficult to really set aside fun time the past few days. I think that should be me major focus for tomorrow. I am seeing physica changes in the mirror but I don't want to post pics until two weeks when the changes will be more obvious in a photo.

I think you'll find that eating clean gets easier after a week or so. I know that I thought I was close to using up my willpower after about a week, but within 2 weeks or so, it was just my new way of eating. Stick with it - you'll love the results (rapid fat loss, increased energy and focus, random health issues improving, etc.)

Today was a great day. Usually weekends are tough for me, but even when my husband was making fun of my healthy choices (oh no! A piece of bread has touched your chicken, now ou can't eat it! :) ) I just continued with it because I know the benefits I am already beginning to see. My hubbie my think I am crazy, but his jokes are all in fun. We had a great day together while Carley (our daughter) stayed with my parents. I also finally got some almond butter....yum! I think it is my new, guilt free pleasure. Anyways, tommorrow is Halloween and it is going to be filled with TONS of candy and other sugar filled temptations but I will not indulge. Maybe further down the line when my new habits are firmly in place I amy be able to stick to one piece of candy but if I tried that now, I would eat the whole bag like I usually do. We have like 5 bags of candy ready to hand out to trick-or-treaters and the amazing thing is I haven't touched them. Usually, I would have to buy extra to make up for what I eat! I tried to explain the way challenging myself to be better, healthier and stronger makes me feel to my husband today, and he just doesn't get it. But you know, I don't think you get it until you have tried it and had those feeings of success. I told him he can keep his cheeseburger because I am not trying to live forever but I will strive for the best quality of life I can have while I am here! Well, if you have read all of this thanks for hanging on through this rather long digression!

Congrats on not breaking into the candy! Today will be the real test, but you can do it! I am a huge chocoholic, but a few weeks ago I decided to limit myself to four squares of dark chocolate a day (two after lunch and two after dinner). It was a lot easier than I had expected, and I find that I enjoy the chocolate more now, as I savour each bite instead of just scarfing down an entire bar in one sitting.

EmeraldYam's Very First Challenge (Oct. 24 - Dec. 5, 2011)

I made it through Halloween without a single piece of candy, but went a little overboard on the cheese and turkey tray. Thanks okay because I know that if I have one piece of candy I will literally eat until I am sick to my stomach because that is what I always do! Thanks for the support guys and congrats on eating only small amounts of candy. You are much stronger than I am. One taste is never enough for me!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines