Project SuperMom

Lauri-b

Congrats on candy avoidance! You are definitely building up your willpower endurance as well as your other muscles. This is a really rough time of year for diet-based goals, isn't it?

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

We went out to a Mexican restaurant last night and my order ended in "no cheese, no rice, no beans and add guacamole" and both the waiter and my husband looked at me like I was from another planet! My husband asked my why I am 'doing this' to myself, I think he might think I am trying to be like a super skinny supermodel or something. I just told him that I just want to push myself to be healthier, strong and have the best quality of life possible, especially later in life, like when I am a grandmother. So many around me look at me and think "she is skinny, why is she trying to lose weight or diet?" I keep telling them I am not! I have actually gained a few pounds, though my measurements have stayed about the same. (maybe a little less but definitely not more.) I don't want to be 'skinny', a six pack would be nice but overall I want strength, energy and the challenge that comes with pushing myself. I wish there was some way I could put their minds at ease, that my ambitions are healthy, not trying to be even thinner and lose weight.

Anyways, I am doing well with all of my challenge, I did binge last night, damn you delicious almond butter! But that is okay because I am still adjusting to this new way of eating. Overall I am doing really well with at least avoiding the foods I need to, like the tortilla chips at the restaurant. I didn't even eat one!

Also, If there are any women near Sanger, Texas, on nerd fitness, it would be nice to have a buddy close by that has the same kind of goals I do, because everyone I know thinks I'm nuts! (which I probably am! :))

I totally understand what you mean about wanting to be strong and fit, not just 'skinny' or hitting a weight goal. Everything feels better and easier when you're strong enough to do everything you need to without aches & pains. A huge confidence booster too!

I'm also in TX, but I'm afraid that I'm halfway between Houston & Galveston--not 'close' by any stretch. :(

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

You win at halloween... I've eaten about 97 pieces of candy so far so I'm eating your share. I love that all of your updates are about you kicking ass...I don't even need to encourage you. Ummmm... sooooo... carry on.

Thanks! I always struggled with my health and fitness goals until I found nerd fitness. Just posting my goals on here and knowing that people (like you) are reading them has made all of the difference!

Okay, I did even better today! I pushed myself hard and beat my workout time by 1min 20sec.! I guess that means it is time to increase reps or add weight! I didn't stuff my self at any meal today either, which is the main thing that is holding back my progress, even though it was all good food. I made my husband a big breakfast this morning to say 'I love you" and after I finish my homework I have promised to do play dough with my school work. Oh, and the dog didn't have an accident in the house today! Freakin' Awesome! The only concern I have is the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, not really the temptation to eat the food, but the pressure to make my relatives not think I am a freak! :) My first Thanksgiving dinner is on the 5th (this weekend) yeah, its early and there will be many more to come because we have a ton of family to visit.

Well today I am proud and disappointed at the same time. I figured out that I forgot to turn in a major assignment for school, but I managed not to freak out like I usually would. I mean, I was upset and concerned but, all I can do is turn it in late and hope that my professor accepts it. I am also going through my calendar a little carefully so that it won't happen again. But, this is one of my biggest problems because I manage to make A's the rest of the time, but I always forget one or two assignments a semester. Anyways...The dog has diarrhea and I have cleaned it off my carpet three times today, so not so good on the potty training. But, I will let that slide because the poor puppy may be feeling ill. I have kept up with my workouts and decided to tweak my diet a little more because I am impatient and want to see more results! :) I read on Mark's daily apple about his 'carb curve' and how the 'sweet spot' is between 50-100 grams of carbs a day. So I tracked my food on fitday.com and will continue for a few more days until I have a pretty good idea of the carb content of my food. Hopefully this will help me lose a little bit of fat and gain more muscle. I think I have basically overcome the sugar cravings and carb cravings because I haven't eaten the types of food I used to. It is amazing how much easier my eating habits are becoming as the days go by! But, as it gets colder it will have a negative impact on my running because I have no treadmill and will not join a gym. I need an alternate source of cardio. (Jump rope isn't doing it for me, it is not something I enjoy.)

Great jpb pn the half pull up. Sounds like you've got the diet nailed too. I've used the Primal Fitness Curve for my carb count and found it very helpful

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Good luck on the dinner tonight! I am in the camp that is okay with sweet potatoes, so I say go to town on those bad boys if you need some sort of dish with the word potatoes in it. Also, grats on the half pullup, show them who's boss, half a pullup at a time.

Keepin' it real, keepin' it simple... keepin' it real simple.

Well. I did pretty good at the thanksgiving dinner I mean I ate a ton of food, but it was the best choices i could have made. I brought a strawberry spinach salad, which I was the only one to eat. Well, the others picked out the strawberries. I also had two bites of my daughter pie and I don't know how many of these bacon wrapped green beans covered in brown sugar and butter. Yum! But compared to my usual thanksgiving meals that was pretty awesome! (because I would have eaten the whole pie!)

So, I took a picture this morning concerned that the changes wouldn't be noticeable, especially since my measurement only went down by close to 1/4 of an inch. But it is obvious when you see the pics! Check it out:

Before: http://nerdfitness.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=872&d=1319422575

Two weeks in: http://nerdfitness.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=1034&d=1320676786

I just finished my workout for today and I did my first full pull-up!!! Woo Hoo!! So I guess I will have to make my goal a little higher. So I think now I will shoot for 5 pull-ups. I think it will be tough but it's okay if I fail, right? :) I know that I am just going off the first pull-up high but I am excited!

I just finished my workout for today and I did my first full pull-up!!! Woo Hoo!! So I guess I will have to make my goal a little higher. So I think now I will shoot for 5 pull-ups. I think it will be tough but it's okay if I fail, right? :) I know that I am just going off the first pull-up high but I am excited!

Yay! Congrats! I'm convinced the first pull up is the hardest, so I think it'll get easier from there. You'll be doing 5-10 in no time.

Also, isn't the first pull up a really really really great feeling of accomplishment?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

YAY FOR 1 PULL UP!!! That's awesome. Also, good job on the eating choices on your first big dinner. Bacon wrapped green beans sounds like all I need in life. And those pictures, like shakira's hips, don't lie. You're making progress so keep it going!

Well, we just got back from camping all weekend- lots of fishing and hiking! It was so much fun. I did eat one mini snickers, but I am amazed that it was just one! I am still making progress though I have cut strength training down to 2 x's a week. Also, I have been trying to walk at least 30 minutes a day and try for sprinting one day a week. I have really been studying marks daily apple and really love the information he has provided. I agree with the things he talks about and it seems to be working for me. I have had TONS of energy and was even able to try 1/3 a day of IF successfully, without it being torture like I thought it would. Overall, awesome weekend with lots of active family time!!!

Nice, moving to the fasting. Here's my fasting routine. Wake up, eat a good protein breakfast. Eggs bacon sausage. Then, that's it until the next day's breakfast. It'll be fine. Drink water and keep cool. I don't work out on fasting days, but walking is probably fine. That's something you can try out. You just keep saying, "I had such a big good breakfast, it'll be good again tomorrow" and you'll make it through the day. I like the daily walks, keep 'em up. Great progress. Keep it goin'!

Well, last night, and the night before, for some odd reason I binged on peanut butter. I have been fine, eating great the rest of the time for the last couple of nights I have just wanted to keep eating and eating! Of course, this is something that I used to do on a regular basis and I did have a mini candy bar when we were camping, could that really spark (not so) old cravings? I don't know. But yesterday I did try Tabata sprints and only manage 4 minutes of 20/10 second intervals. That is tougher then you would think! I have been really busy with school but I am still managing to fit in all my exercise. I hate that it is dark at 6 now, so I think I will take my daughter on a flashlight walk tonight. I am about to do a quite round of strength training then I have a really busy day ahead of me. I will not binge tonight and I will not beat myself up for what has already been done. Hey, I still have three weeks right? And I have been doing very well with all my other goals.

I definitely wouldn't beat yourself up over it--quitting anything is hard. I quit smoking 7 years ago, but every once and a while, totally out of the blue, I'll really *really* want a cigarette.

Yeah, i used to smoke to but that is easier because I won't try to have 'just one'. I am just trying to get back to just primal food and not overdoing it. I think I was getting carried away and getting too restrictive too fast. Luckily I have remained active and continued my workouts. Plus, we have had plenty of family time. But, it is hard to stay active after work because I get off at 6pm and it is dark outside!!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines