Urgan's Log

I'm going to use this as my training/nutrition journal--I've been tracking my weight, lbs lifted, and sets x rep, but not my food. My very first major annual goal is to be able to deadlift and squat my bodyweight (100~lb as of this post) by August 2015, hopefully with bench/overhead presses not far behind.

I regret nothing.

Without further ado, here goes:

Saturday, 11/22/14:

Training 

Deadlift 5 x 5 @ 65 lbs

Squats 5 x 5 @ 55 lbs

Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 30 lbs

Nutrition  

Breakfast - cereal and coffee

Lunch - post-workout house fried rice (shredded roast beef, egg, bacon, edamame, veggie medley), raspberry soda

Dinner - this http://food52.com/recipes/21442-chicken-black-olives-and-lemon-with-spaghettibecause I'd planned it to coincide when Mike was on a car show trip. He doesn't like olives

Snack - chocolate and two graham crackers

Water count: 2+ cups

Sunday, 11/22/14:

No training today

Nutrition

Lunch - the rest of the fried rice from Saturday

Dinner - plain hot dog and vanilla coke

Water count: 4 cups

Monday, 11/24/14:

No training today

Nutrition

Breakfast - coffee and miso soup

Lunch - more lemon chicken spaghetti

Dinner - Pappa al Pomodoro http://www.realepicurean.com/2009/01/papa-al-pomodoro-recipe/-- subbing arugula for the basil because allergy

Snack - chocolate

Water count: 8 cups

EDIT

Due to my own inexperience, I have come to the conclusion that 100 lbs in a year is too easy a mid to long term goal, which, God willing, I will meet in January. Therefore, I'm raising the bar to 200lb deadlift and squat, 150lb OHP and deadlift. This may be too small or too big, time will tell. Either way, I'll do my very best to rise to it.

This log will continue to document my progress whether or not I take on a challenge, said challenge will not distract from my aim to pull 2xBW off the ground.

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Training 

Deadlift 5 x 5 @ 70 lbs -- GAIN + 5!!

Squats 5 x 5 @ 60 lbs -- GAIN +5!!

Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 40 lbs -- GAIN + 10!!

Nutrition  

Breakfast - sushi and coffee

Lunch - the rest of the sushi and Pappa al Pomodoro

Dinner - Red Beans & Rice

Snack - chocolate

Water count: 10 cups

No soda

Sleep

In bed and lights off by 9:38 on Monday, and uninterrupted even by the cat that jumped on top of Mike, then on top of me around 4 AM.

Today was pretty good, didn't feel much of the 2 PM blahs and no muscle aches, so no obstacles to training. Per my Level 1 challenge, I increased weights all around. The bench press was by far the toughest, I had some failure and had to rest more often than usual, sometimes mid-set. Here's to a long post-gain recovery over Thanksgiving.

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

No Training today

Nutrition  

Lunch - yet more Pappa al Pomodoro, salami, and cheeses

Dinner - Mike's cheese dip (sage sausage + 2 cups cheddar + can of Rotel = YES) *actually, I got to watch HIM eat it. Microwaved some chicken pasta with olives instead.

Snack - chocolate and a few graham crackers -- an inordinate number of chocolates, since I was home most of the day

No soda

Sleep

Got in bed late last night, 9:58, due to us beating Bioshock 2

Today was...different. Worked less than a half-day, got off at 10:30, so I ran home and made Bacony Deviled Eggs, Ham in Coca-Cola, and a white chocolate blueberry cheesecake for Thanksgiving to share with 8-10 people, depending. I made up batter for Krachel , which are like rolls except better. Here's to tons and tons of protein, vegetables, and cheese-related things tomorrow, then it's back to Work. Happy Thanksgiving in advance!

No Training today

Nutrition  

Breakfast - coffee

Lunch/Dinner - Turkey, ham, dressing, green bean casserole, krachel roll, english pea casserole, a nibble of sweet potato casserole, and that's about it (one plate's worth)

Snack - chocolate, lemon pound cake slice, two bites of cheesecake, nibbles of turkey, and a roll

Water count: 10+ cups

No soda

Today was Thanksgiving. 'Nuff said.

Sleep

In bed with lights out at 9:28

No Training today

Nutrition  

Breakfast - coffee and cereal

Lunch - a roll?

Dinner - white chicken chili and rice + regular red bean chili and rice, four jumbo olives and a green olive

Snack - chocolate, tiny lemon pie slice, a few chips, some with salsa, hot chocolate

Water count: 5 cups

No soda

Sleep

I got in bed sometime after 9:30 but before 10

More Thanksgiving get-together with family today, plus we're redoing the shelving in our pantry, so food is scattered everywhere this weekend. Our eating was thus thrown off a bit today. Tomorrow will begin to be more normal, with training, groceries, etc.

Yesterday, 11/29/2014

Training 

Deadlift 5 x 5 @ 70 lbs

Squats 5 x 5 @ 60 lbs

OHP 5 x 5 @ 30 lbs

Deadlifted a T-bird's chrome front bumper, ~65 lbs, just for fun, followed by a 20 lb pumpkin

Nutrition  

Lunch - more lemon chicken spaghetti

Dinner - turkey and a roll

Snack - chocolate, two rolls

Water count: 5-6 cups

No soda

Sleep

In bed late Friday night, around 11-ish. No excuses, I was playing Grandia after the visit with family

My OHP isn't anywhere I'd like it to be, but everything can't just instantly improve, I guess. Oh well, soon everything will be back to normal.

No Training today

Nutrition  

Lunch - a roll

Dinner - the last of the lemon chicken spaghetti

Snack - chocolate

Water count: 5-6 cups

No soda

Sleep

In bed 11-ish

Looking forward to the return of normalcy.

No Training today

Nutrition  

Breakfast - coffee and red beans and rice

Lunch - Pappa al Pomodoro

Dinner - Chicken cacciatore

Snack - chocolate

No soda

Sleep

In bed 10:30, but couldn't get to sleep for an hour thereafter.

The warmer weather was nice, but I think it's given me a cold. Yay!

No Training today due to my newly acquired cold

Nutrition  

Lunch - Thanksgiving leftovers - turkey, sweet potatoes, english pea casserole, and green bean casserole

Dinner - chicken pot pie soup retrieved from Jason's deli

Snack - chocolate, a roll

Water count: 6+ cups

No soda

Sleep

In bed 9:50

I spent the day at home trying not to spread this funk around, got a lot done in Grandia, not much else to show for it.

Thanks, Dark Lady Link, I took today off also to recuperate fully, should be back to 85% tomorrow lol.

No Training today per say, but I did discover I can now do five full, proper pushups without risking failure.

Nutrition  

Lunch - edamame omelette

Dinner - Turkey Enchiladas

Snack - cheeses, salami, and a whole grain flour tortilla, a few crushed up Tostitos scoops

Water count: 8+ cups

No soda

Sleep

In bed 9:50, didn't sleep well. Fell asleep around 11:30 or midnight, kept waking up. Battle plan for tonight: no chocolate, no excess sugar, minimize anxiety around bedtime, and take Alkaseltzer to knock myself out with cold symptom suppressing meds!

Another day home, More Grandia, more home cooking, less junk food. Tomorrow should be better all around.

• Like 1

Success -- fell asleep within 15 minutes (got in bed around 9:38), slept with little interruption throughout the night. I still feel sluggish, but that's to be expected. In other news: Woot, Team NF

Thanks, Ocelot, trying to live the plan.

Training 

Deadlift 2 x 5 @ 75 lbs 

1 x 5 @ 80 lbs-- GAIN + 10!!

Squats 3 x 5 @ 65 lbs -- GAIN +5!!

Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 40 lbs 

Nutrition  

Breakfast - coffee and the last of the red beans and rice

Lunch - a turkey enchilada 

Dinner - chicken rice bowl, unfortunately my spinach went bad and I totally forgot to take the corn out of the microwave and include it in the meal. Further, I subbed ponzu sauce for the ramen broth. So yeah, lots of changes for lazy post-workout eats.

Snack - chocolate

Water count: 10+ cups

No soda

Sleep

In bed around 9:38 as mentioned above, as good as can be expected right off a cold, but no complaints here

I went ahead and worked out because why not? I've made my level 1 challenge goal for deadlifts, now I just need to get my squat up to snuff.

No Training Today

Nutrition  

Lunch - the last turkey enchilada 

Dinner - 8 tuna sushi rolls, a salad, more miso soup, and a chicken teriyaki entree that included fried rice and grilled veggies at Ginza

Snack - chocolate

Water count: 9 cups

No soda

Sleep

In bed around 9:30, fell asleep quickly, but I woke up randomly a few times. In the morning I wasn't sleepy, however

Not too sore today at all, I think I was successful at taking it easy with yesterday's training. A win.

Training 

Deadlift 5 x 5 @ 80 lbs 

Squats 5 x 5 @ 65 lbs

OHP 3 x 5 @ 30 lbs 

1 x 2 @ 30 lbs

1 x 5 @ 40 lbs

1 x 3 @ 40 lbs -- GAIN + 10!!

Nutrition  

Lunch - leftover teriyaki chicken, veggies, and fried rice from Ginza, leftover chicken from the rice bowl, and a boiled egg, cherry-limeade from Sonic

Dinner - two hot dogs

Snack - chocolate, salami

No soda

Sleep

I believe bedtime last night was around 10 or a little earlier, it may not have been spectacularly timely, but I was quite worn out that evening

Today was an odd training day in that I attempted to improve my OHP...to partial success. I could only manage less than two sets at 40 lbs and had to step down to 30. Ah well, I expect next time it comes to attempt it I'll be able to handle more weight. Onward and upward!

• Like 1

That's right, any progress is good progress. Thanks for the encouragement guys.

It's that time again, progress report:

No Training Today

Nutrition  

Lunch - a meat and cheese plate, because it was that or break down and actually cook today *cough* (salami, applewood turkey slices, one slice each of: pepperjack, colby, cheddar, swiss)

Dinner - an old standby, black bean soup . I typcially double it and add some chicken in to round it out. If you pressure cook it a bit instead of microwave it comes out better, IMHO.

Snack - chocolate, boiled egg

Water count: 6~ cups

No soda

Sleep

In bed around 11:30 because I decided to do proofwork on a story outline I've been working on

A day of wrapping presents, housework, and back pain from hunching while doing said wrapping. It is not a job I find easy to do without maintaining poor posture. I need a bigger table for it.

No Training Today

Nutrition  

Lunch - black bean soup

Dinner - awesome shakshouka ! A first for me, but North African/Middle Eastern food is pretty cool, I've only recently gotten brave enough to discover. I mean seriously, eggs poached in a tomato and bell pepper-centric stew. What is not to like?

Snack - chocolate, a VERY small bag of white and milk chocolate drizzled popcorn given to me by my boss. 

Water count: 9 cups

No soda

Sleep

In bed around 10:30 because I had the dumb, it probably is responsible for screwed up energy levels in the evening today

Well, today was mostly okay until the evening, when I got so low on energy I came home at 5 and slept on the couch for 1.5 hrs~. Bad. Threw dinner prep and thus relaxation time badly off kilter. Oh wells. Consequently, tonight's bedtime is also skewed. I'll get it straightened out eventually.

Thanks. It's surprising how easy it is to let go once you get it down to once a week, amazing that the stuff is so addictive. I have a rule of no caffeine past noon on a weekday (lest it interfere with sleep, it also seriously limits how much can be consumed daily), I may have a coffee at an odd time on the weekend, though.

Training 

Deadlift 3 x 5 @ 85 lbs -- GAIN + 5!!

Squats 3 x 5 @ 70 lbs -- GAIN +5!!

Bench Press 3 x 5 @ 40 lbs

Nutrition  

Breakfast - coffee and a standard breakfast of bacon, eggs, 'hashbrowns', and fruit courtesy of Energen

Lunch - more shakshouka

Pre-workout - the rest of the black bean soup

Dinner - [Tuna-stuffed tomatoes

Snack - chocolate

Water count: 10 cups

No soda

Sleep

I was late again, 10:30. Unwise.

I took my own advice about what to do when feeling sub-optimal and cut down my training session today as I was barely able to drag myself in. Not for dreading the workout, but was tired from sleep deprivation. Sigh.

No Training Today

Nutrition  

Breakfast - coffee and the last of shakshouka

Lunch - tuna-stuffed tomato

Dinner - I took the extra tuna stuffing for the tomatoes and made twice-baked potatoes with it

Snack - chocolate

Water count: 9~ cups

No soda

Sleep

9:50! Not horrible.

We made chicken pho tonight for tomorrow's lunch. Can't wait to try it.

Training 

Deadlift 3 x 5 @ 85 lbs

Squats 3 x 5 @ 70 lbs

OHP 1 x 5 @ 40 lbs

Nutrition  

Lunch - Taziki's chicken and pasta salad with feta cheese and tomatoes, one pita chip, a side salad with light italian dressing because the default dressing looked too "creamy"

Pre-workout - half of the chicken pho

Dinner - california rolls and spicy tuna rolls

Snack - chocolate, a small piece of chocolate cake

Water count: 11~ cups

No soda

Sleep

9:45

I was going to do the full 5x5 routine but a massive wreck delayed me an hour and a half on the highway and had to pick up dinner afterward, so I just punched the clock today rather than fink out.