• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

cacodaemonia

Chelsea's 6 Week Challenge Oct 24 - Dec 5

Very cool Chelsea! Very cool indeed. You'll hit that pull up, just keep at it. Try greasing different sections of the motion (if you aren't already). Ex: from a dead hang, pull up 1/3 of the way (or as much as you can if you can't get to 1/3 yet) for 5 reps. Or, get into the negative position at the top of the pull and then only let down 1/3 - 1/2 of the way and then pull back up for 5 reps. That might help. Keep at it girl!

Oh, thank you for the advice! I hadn't thought to vary it like that. I'll start working on it tomorrow. :)

that frozen banana job looks tasty.

It's super tasty and requires no added sugar. :) You can also add peanut butter instead of mint, or cinnamon, or ground up black sesame seeds, or pretty much anything you'd put on ice cream!

Going good so far. Keep us posted on the pullup progress. You might want to try throwing some inverted rows into the mix to get your arm strength. Also, the biggest thing you can do to make them easier is lose weight, so the way you're cooking now you'll definitely make it before you get to Vegas :)

I was doing those for a while as part of the angry birds workout, but had hit a plateau on the gnarly, uneven bar I'd been using at the playground near my house. Greasing the groove definitely seems to be more effective for me in terms of noticeable results, and I don't have anywhere in the house that I can do inverted rows. Once we move, though, I'll scope out the rental property and see if I can come up with something. Thanks! :) Hehe, and yeah, i guess losing weight would make it easier, as long as you're not losing too much muscle! :X

If you want to read a book AND declutter your life I would advise "the joy of Less" --> http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Less-Minimalist-Living-Guide/dp/0984087311

Loved it, trying to follow as well :-)

Oh, thanks! I'll check this bad boy out. :)

*lol* You know, I was thinking "300 possessions? That's easy!"... but then I realised you were including books ^_^

Yeeeaaaaah, that's definitely the hardest part. I hate parting with my books. ;__;

How are the pullups coming?!

Still working at it! When I was doing the negs this morning them felt noticeably easier, even though I had busted my ass a couple hours before that. I'm going to try Tom's suggestion and see if that helps. :)

Yeah greasing the groove should make a difference. I had a friend in highschool who had a chin-up bar in the doorway of the bathroom. Every time she went in or out she did pull-ups to failure. She could do like 50...bit embarassing back then as I couldn't even do 1 (mind you she would have weighed 100lbs ringing wet, so there's that).

Yeah greasing the groove should make a difference. I had a friend in highschool who had a chin-up bar in the doorway of the bathroom. Every time she went in or out she did pull-ups to failure. She could do like 50...bit embarassing back then as I couldn't even do 1 (mind you she would have weighed 100lbs ringing wet, so there's that).

Some day. SOME DAY. I will be able to do that. It will be bad ass. :|

+++

DIET/FITNESS:

- Consume no sweets/candy. CHECK

- DO THAT PULLUP, DAMMIT. Managed 2 chinups in a row, still greasing on the neg pullups

- Follow the Rebel Running Guide starting with week 5 of the Recruit level. Today was a "gym workout" day so I think Hot Yoga Power Hour definitely counted. ;) That class is sooooo insane and I love it.

- Snap and upload photos of every meal. Below!

LIFE:

- Get rid of all but 300 (personal) possessions and make a list of them. Brought two big bins of stuff to Goodwill today and threw out some more stuff.

- Ten minutes of meditation each day, starting out with gratitude and moving into mindfulness. Meditated this morning.

- Finish that illustration job I've been putting off. Nothing today

- Do/say something nice for/to Nick every day. Walked to Great Harvest with the dogs and used a free cookie coupon to get a cookie for Nick. Also packed his "lunch".

- Keep up on Shelter Sketches despite the move-associated chaos. Will probably do this week's sketch on Friday.

BONUS FAILURE GOAL:

- Read an actual book (or National Geographic!) at least 70 minutes per week (or 10 minutes per day). Going to read Nat Geo in bed after I post this. Did not read any last night, but I'm at 40 minutes so far this week, so it's looking good.

+++

Had a thinkThin bar after yoga to get protein in my system asap. Then had a banana on the way home from the grocery store.

Killer Smoothie

Posted Image

F-factor with unsweetened almond milk, raisins, dried apricots, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds.

Posted Image

Normally I hardly ever eat out, but today made two days in a row. Our hiking Meetup group had a little going away dinner at a local restaurant so I got a sandwich on multi-grain bred with hummus, sprouts, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and cucumbers; with a side of black bean hummus topped with red onions and tomatoes; and some tortilla chips.

Posted Image

I forgot to take a photo of this until I was almost done! Homemade pesto mixed with homemade vegan mayo, and 6 sticks of celery.

Posted Image

Great job on decluttering! It's always nice to dump a bunch of stuff off at Goodwill. And nom nom nom on that pesto. My brother said he would make me pesto for dinner and then bailed! Glad someone got some at least. :)

Great job on decluttering! It's always nice to dump a bunch of stuff off at Goodwill. And nom nom nom on that pesto. My brother said he would make me pesto for dinner and then bailed! Glad someone got some at least. :)

You should demand that he make you some! Pesto is divine.

+++

DIET/FITNESS:

- DO THAT PULLUP, DAMMIT. Still greasing the groove on neg pullups, tried Tom's advice and started working different parts of the pullup - some high, some low. Also did 3 chinups in a row! Barely managed that third one. I thought my teeth were going to crack from my jaw clenching so tightly.

- Follow the Rebel Running Guide starting with week 5 of the Recruit level. Did the warm-up, 1 mile + 6 strides, and core workout level 2. Was inspired by Dawsy to do the strides barefoot. It was very cold and wet, but fun.

- Snap and upload photos of every meal. below

LIFE:

- Get rid of all but 300 (personal) possessions and make a list of them. Nothing today

- Ten minutes of meditation each day, starting out with gratitude and moving into mindfulness. CHECK

- Finish that illustration job I've been putting off. Nope

- Do/say something nice for/to Nick every day. I think I've seen him for all of 12 minutes or something today, so I didn't do anything. :( Maybe I could send him an ecard. That would be kind of lame, but at least it's something...

- Keep up on Shelter Sketches despite the move-associated chaos. Tomorrow

BONUS FAILURE GOAL:

- Read an actual book (or National Geographic!) at least 70 minutes per week (or 10 minutes per day). I read Nat Geo for about 20 minutes last night. 60 minutes so far this week.

+++

Oatmeal, raisins, sweet potato, cinnamon, unsweetened almond milk.

Posted Image

SMOOTHIE

Posted Image

Leftover roasted veggies plus the vegetarian sweet potato chili I made yesterday. Spicy! :9

Posted Image

Roasted red pepper and eggplant hummus from yesterday, and celery. I also ate a huge pile of pita chips, so now I feel kind of ill. :( Stupid carbs.

Posted Image

Chelsea, this is one of my favorite threads this challenge. You're doing great on working toward those pullups. I remember when I couldn't do one. It took just about six weeks of lat pulldowns, bent over rows, weighted assist pullups, and negatives before I did any. Also during that period I ran alot and lost about 10 pounds. I took a rest period of a few days, tested myself, and ended up doing three in a row. I was ecstatic! When you get there you will never forget the feeling. Now, I do them all the time. They are one of my favorite exercises. And like Dawsy mentioned, I bought a pullup bar a long time ago and put it in my hallway. It's a great way to keep up on it. I'll do a set of ten here or there throughout the day. Some days they really rack up.

Also, I wanted to send you this link about gratitude. Thought you might find it interesting. http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/04/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-5-cultivate-your-gratitude/ I know it's from The Art of Manliness, but this article isn't exactly gender specific. Enjoy.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I'll get back to them this afternoon. :) Yesterday was super busy with the 5K - more on that later as well - so I didn't have a chance to post:

DIET/FITNESS:

- DO THAT PULLUP, DAMMIT. Greasing, couple chinups

- Follow the Rebel Running Guide starting with week 5 of the Recruit level. Ran a 5K in the dark!

- Snap and upload photos of every meal. below

LIFE:

- Get rid of all but 300 (personal) possessions and make a list of them. Added a bunch of things to the list

- Ten minutes of meditation each day, starting out with gratitude and moving into mindfulness. CHECK

- Finish that illustration job I've been putting off. nope

- Do/say something nice for/to Nick every day. Did send that ecard the day before, also a nice thing was done yesterday. ;)

- Keep up on Shelter Sketches despite the move-associated chaos. Will do this today.

BONUS FAILURE GOAL:

- Read an actual book (or National Geographic!) at least 70 minutes per week (or 10 minutes per day). Nothing on Friday

++++

Had a thinkThin bar, smoothie, and more hummus with celery, no photos necessary as they're repeats.

Quinoa with peanut butter and cinnamon, per faraxk's recommendation. :)

Posted Image

Had a banana with peanut butter before the 5K and a few dates right after, then made this as a treat for running it! SO GOOD.

Posted Image

Also has a half shot of Kraken rum.

DIET/FITNESS:

- Consume no sweets/candy. CHECK. This shouldn't be so easy.

- DO THAT PULLUP, DAMMIT. Greasing. Did 3 chinups in a row again.

- Follow the Rebel Running Guide starting with week 5 of the Recruit level. Swapped days due to 5K but still on track.

- Snap and upload photos of every meal. Below.

LIFE:

- Get rid of all but 300 (personal) possessions and make a list of them. Made a lot of progress with this today. Went through EVERY article of clothing I own and got them down to 90 (counting every pair of underwear, every bra, every pair of socks, etc.), and continued with my 300 list. I think I'm at about 210, with all my books, clothing, and electronics accounted for. Also sorted photos and got them down to less than 1 shoebox.

- Finish that illustration job I've been putting off. Noooope.

- Do/say something nice for/to Nick every day. Shoulder rub.

- Keep up on Shelter Sketches despite the move-associated chaos. This week's featured pup is named Harley. He's very cute. :3

BONUS FAILURE GOAL:

- Read an actual book (or National Geographic!) at least 70 minutes per week (or 10 minutes per day). Nothing today. Guess that means I need to read at least 10 minutes tomorrow.

+++

Not many noteworthy foods today, so I didn't take a ton of pictures. Had a smoothie for breakfast after yoga.

F-factor with unsweetened almond milk, raisins, dried apricots, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds.

Posted Image

Snacks were a banana and homemade almond butter, one slice of sprouted grain bread and celery with the hummus I made the other day, and the small amount of remaining quinoa with peanut butter and cinnamon.

Dinner was the last of the vegetarian sweet potato chili with the last of the bread from Great Harvest. I've been eating a lot of bread the past week or so, but that's quite unusual for me.

Posted Image

do you have any recommendations on websites or books for beginning meditation?

I haven't read too much about it, but here are some videos I watched when I first started practicing:

Cognitive Neuroscience of Mindfulness Meditation

Mindfulness with Jon Kabat-Zinn

I hope those help. :)

Way to go Chels! BTW, gotta give you kudos for all the effort into making different meals at home. Pretty badass.

They're not too much work, really. I just try to set aside a few hours a week, bang out 2-3 meals in that time, and have those for the week. :)

Saw Steve's tweet... How's the new hoodie? Which did you go for?

I love it! It kept me warm before the 5K. I got the pullover. You?

Chelsea, this is one of my favorite threads this challenge. You're doing great on working toward those pullups. I remember when I couldn't do one. It took just about six weeks of lat pulldowns, bent over rows, weighted assist pullups, and negatives before I did any. Also during that period I ran alot and lost about 10 pounds. I took a rest period of a few days, tested myself, and ended up doing three in a row. I was ecstatic! When you get there you will never forget the feeling. Now, I do them all the time. They are one of my favorite exercises. And like Dawsy mentioned, I bought a pullup bar a long time ago and put it in my hallway. It's a great way to keep up on it. I'll do a set of ten here or there throughout the day. Some days they really rack up.

Also, I wanted to send you this link about gratitude. Thought you might find it interesting. http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/04/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-5-cultivate-your-gratitude/ I know it's from The Art of Manliness, but this article isn't exactly gender specific. Enjoy.

Wow, thank you so much! I'm dying to get to that "I DID A MOTHAFUCKIN' PULLUP" moment!

Thanks for the link as well! That's a great article; I think I will be sending out some emails and/or letters soon. And I am totally manly btw. ;)

You look adorable in the hoodie, fyi. :)

Hehe, thanks. I guess I might as well post it here for all to behold my dorky grin. :B

Posted Image

Hehe, thanks chammy. ^^;

DIET/FITNESS:

- DO THAT PULLUP, DAMMIT. ARGH, still greasing the groove.

- Follow the Rebel Running Guide starting with week 5 of the Recruit level. Rest day today. All I did was walk the dogs and pack stuff. Oh, and here's a summary of the 5K Friday night.

- Snap and upload photos of every meal. Below

LIFE:

- Get rid of all but 300 (personal) possessions and make a list of them. Getting there! I brought two more bags of stuff to Goodwill today. :)

- Finish that illustration job I've been putting off. Nooop

- Do/say something nice for/to Nick every day. Made him some tea!

- Keep up on Shelter Sketches despite the move-associated chaos. Good to go until next weekend.

BONUS FAILURE GOAL:

- Read an actual book (or National Geographic!) at least 70 minutes per week (or 10 minutes per day). Read Treasure Island (I've never actually read it!) for about a half hour, may read some more tonight. CHECK

+++

I'm only bothering to take photos of the noteworthy foods I'm eating so you guys don't have to constantly look at the same shots of smoothies and thinkThin bars. ;) So here's what I've had today:

- Apple and homemade almond butter

- Smoothie

- Roasted sweet potato (I discovered today that they come out just as delicious roasted by by themselves as they do with oil or butter)

- 3 dried apricots, handful of roasted soy nuts

- A bowl of the absolutely amaaaaazing kabocha-apple curry that Nick made! With a little brown rice:

Posted Image

- 2 small zucchini with the last of the roasted red pepper-eggplant hummus and a little homemade pesto:

Posted Image

- Currently drinking ginger-chamomile tea and just had a couple handfuls of roasted kabocha seeds:

Posted Image

Edited by cacodaemonia

got some time to catch up on your thread, and all i can say is nomnomnomnomnom. everything looks so good! AND you really kicked ass in every single other goal, AND you look cute in your hoodie. your challenge is so full of win, it's ridiculous. :)

Haha, thanks guys!

Roasted squash seeds ftw.

Kabocha is my new fave squash of the season, though I'm trying buttercup squash for the first time tonight.

Are kabocha and buttercup squash different?? We used to eat kabocha all the time when we lived in Japan, and couldn't find them for a couple years after we moved back to the states. The first time I remember seeing what looked like kabocha, it was labeled buttercup squash, so we thought that was just the non-Japanese name for it. I'll have to research this!

EDIT: Oh, well there you have it: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/01/19/kabocha-vs-buttercup/

Edited by cacodaemonia