• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ocelot

Simplicity's Strength

Hey... Um. I'm late joining. I haven't actually done a challenge since 2012 or 13 (Can't remember. I found the thread earlier, but I lost it again)

Anyway! I have some pretty simple goals to hit by December 21st, which I have been working on all year, so I hope you can accept me into the assassin ranks.

My motivational self-talk:

I want to be stronger, braver, more energised and focused so that I can survive anything life throws at me and come out smiling, supporting those around me who need it, and working to change the world and make it a better place.

I also need a wingman or two. I've cut myself off from people a bit lately. Home life is hard, I live in a shared house and I'm not getting on with my housemates at all. It's also a long way out of town, so it's easy for me to keep myself too busy working and being pointlessly busy to spend time with actual friends. So I have to work on that.

My main quest:

1. 8 pull ups in a row. (up from 7, but I haven't hit that in a few months!)

2. 25 push ups in a row. (I'm struggling with 20 right now)

3. 5 pistol squats in a row both legs. (I can do 3, maybe 4)

Method: Train at least one daily, allowing at least one rest day between.

Possible skill points: 3 STR, 3 CON, 3 DEX

Side quests:

1. Spend deliberate, dedicated time with at least 3 potential wingmen. Communicate with the NF Rebel Alliance - join in challenges etc.

2. Be able to touch my wrists to my toes with straight legs. Method: Stretch every evening.

At stake: 3 CHA 3 DEX

• Like 1

Thanks Elastigirl. I love the proverb in your signature :]

Today's maxes were not great:

3 pull ups

3 pistols

10 push ups

However, I had a very hard morning's training at taekwondo, plus 6 miles cycling (3 while late and in a hurry!) and so that might have contributed to the weak numbers. Still, I have lots of room for improvement obviously!

Tomorrow I will start my progression sets.

As for the other two goals...

Well, I did stretch for a good 20 minutes - and I'm definitely down to the bottom joint of my fingers, so about half way to my wrist I think.

I decided not to post in too much depth about my wingman quest as real life people might track me down one day. Suffice it to say I am still not managing to get out and actively spend time with friends, and I need to!

I'M SICK! Sore throat, head cold, argh.

I managed to almost complete my sets of strength training today but failed all three on the last set.

A 2 minute plank made me feel a bit better, but really I think I should be resting up until tomorrow with lots of hot tea.

• Like 1

I love your challenge goals!  Nothing too crazy to get back into things, but still something that requires effort :)  Totally jealous of your pull up numbers.

I hope you feel better!

• Like 1

Thanks Raxie!

I'm still feeling quite under the weather... but at least I have managed to write out clear programmes for all the movements I'm trying to improve. I haven't hit them for the past few training sessions, but I'm not far off and I'm pretty sure when I'm back to my best in a day or two, I'll get on track and catch up.

I'm also sort-of-but-not-quite achieving the making time for hanging out with friends. I stopped by one's house today, rang the bell... but no one answered. He says he was in and doesn't know why he didn't hear it. Huh. Someone else has asked me to go and see a band. That would work. If I manage to get it together to go (money and travel are issues)

I'm posting in side quests (planking! Splits!) so that's something.

Feeling quite a bit better.

PULL UPS: I did 28 total today. Max is only 4 currently though.

PUSH UPS: Resting these because I have a fitness test involving them tomorrow.

PISTOLS: 14 today. 3 in a row. Uh oh!

PEOPLE: I've had a small revelation that it's because I try to do too much that I don't end up building really strong bonds. I was looking at a picture of a friend who lived near here last summer and feeling sad that she'd moved back to the Netherlands. Then I realised that a lot of the time she was here, she would call me to hang out and I'd be busy with work, art, reading or let's face it, playing a game or something pointless. (I did eventually get her into League of Legends, but that's not the point) I stood her up more often than not, and I do it to lots of other people. I can't fit everyone in. I have to make the people I really care about more of a priority.

So anyway. This goal is not going great, I'm remaining very aloof from the rest of the world at the moment... HOWEVER! I have a DEFINITE plan to visit friends in the city next weekend and I am GOING to make it count.

STRETCHING: I think I'm about up to here on my hand reaching my toes now, so still a way to go before the wrist:

NUyJhXp.jpg

Thanks for causing me to discover your challenge :) You seem to be reasonably advanced at strength stuff already, but good way to solidify that base. I'm not surprised that your rep numbers haven't yet increased for pull-ups etc. as you were ill for a bit, but hopefully that should change! You seem to be going the right way about it in any case.

• Like 1

Thanks for stopping by! I like it around the warm winter campfire - my thread isn't anywhere near as welcoming :) Yeah - that cold was definitely holding me back, and I feel a lot better now! I hit all my numbers today, and improvement is showing itself. 34 pull ups today (a max of 4, but I think I could have done more). Three sets of 4 pistol squats. Up to 15 push ups. I knew I'd improve quickly on those - I used to be able to do 28!

So in summary, my goal progress at the end of (my) first week:

PULL UPS: 4/8 - still only half way there

PUSH UPS: 15/25 - ten to go, eek.

PISTOL SQUATS: 4/5 - I feel like I'll hit this next week! Hopefully

PEOPLE: Plans are made, now I just have to not pull out...

STRETCHING: See hand pic below for progress!! I'm beyond the first big line now.

oRwPn5k.jpg

A 2 minute plank made me feel a bit better, but really I think I should be resting up until tomorrow with lots of hot tea.

heh, this NEVER makes me feel better.

I hope you're getting more better! and welcome to the challenge! better late than never! :)

Thanks! Week five is still going strong so far. Today is a rest day, so lots of stretching. My muscles feel vaguely sore. I may not be eating enough, not sure (this is where tracking is kind of useful) so I am going to eat loads of protein later >D

Hi there! Followed you back from my respawn thread, awesome challenge. :) You're making great progress. I like the "people" category, that's something I could use some work on as well. Good luck as you keep moving forward! 

PULL UPS: 5/8 - and that's on tired arms, so ... if I can get some rest in... maybe I'll get 6 or 7 on the due date?!

PUSH UPS: Tomorrow

PISTOL SQUATS: Tomorrow

PEOPLE: I spent quality time with friends this weekend... two of my favourite people in the whole world actually. However, my goal is 3... so I need to find a third person asap!

STRETCHING: No progress though I've been working on it daily. Starting to wonder if I just do not bend any further (although I always think that and always prove myself wrong)

END OF CHALLENGE? How did I do? See bold text below...

1. 8 pull ups in a row. (up from 7, but I haven't hit that in a few months!)

Result: 6. Well - I do feel I am back on track with my pull ups after doing this challenge, but I didn't put in any consistency in the last 10 days or so, due to life taking over and me not making it enough of a priority. So I get a C grade.

2. 25 push ups in a row. (I'm struggling with 20 right now)

Result: FAIL. I find myself absolutely hating push ups at the moment. Perhaps its all the pull ups. Perhaps its my tae kwon do teacher making me do them with very close elbows. I'm just ... not a fan any more. Hope I can find my way back into their graces soon.

3. 5 pistol squats in a row both legs. (I can do 3, maybe 4)

Result: YES! I got the 5! A+!

Possible skill points: 3 STR, 3 CON, 3 DEX

Achieved: 1 STR, 1 CON, 1 DEX

Side quests:

1. Spend deliberate, dedicated time with at least 3 potential wingmen. Communicate with the NF Rebel Alliance - join in challenges etc.

Result: 3/4. I stayed with a friend and also went out with another friend. To a pub! However, there was no third occasion to properly hang out with anyone - that is, I didn't MAKE there be an occasion. I DID join in challenges - three assassin challenges and the Spartan Planking! And I've been active around the Rebel Alliance (if overly opinionated!)

2. Be able to touch my wrists to my toes with straight legs. Method: Stretch every evening.

Result: Fail I'm only half way there. I did about 2 weeks consistent stretching and again the last 10 days I only did it occasionally. :/

At stake: 3 CHA 3 DEX

Result: 0

Okay, you only got 3 stat points this challenge but I'm going to congratulate you anyway because I think you've been overly harsh on yourself! You've made progress in 4 of the 5 things you intended to work on, and achieved the goal with one of them (the pistols) :)

Plus, I don't know how much you appreciate this, but close-arm push-ups (e.g. diamond push-ups or other less extreme variations) are much tougher than ones where you can put your arms wherever you like.

Conversely, pull-ups may be easier with arms reasonable close together (at least in my experience). Maybe try push-ups/pull-ups with differing arm widths to see what works well (or less well) for you.

Of course the "best" arm position may or may not train the aspects of strength that you're interested in, it just gets you most reps :P

Do you have ideas for next challenge?

Thanks, I do feel good about it, but I wasn't anywhere near consistent enough to feel I deserved more... So, my next challenge will probably concern similar goals but be more targetted towards achieving the consistency. So, I'll probably be looking at doing things regularly and keeping a clear record.

I think I'll switch out push ups for planks though. I really don't like them at the moment - my elbows and shoulders and chest all scream at me when I try and do proper sets!