I started a list of summer projects on one of my front page posts

Summer 2015 Projects

• back squat body weight x 36 (20 reps 03/17/2015)
  • back squat double body weight (130% 03/11/2015)
  • long cycle 20 kg x 2, 100 reps/10 minutes (70 reps 03/11/2015)
  • long cycle 28 kg x 2, 60 reps/10 minutes (30 reps, various days)
  • clean and jerk body weight
  • snatch 80% body weight
  • 50 burpees in less than 10 minutes
  • 10 pull ups
  • body weight <=85 kg (home scale measured)
  • 30,000 steps in one day (fitbit measured)
  • 100 floors climbed in one day (fitbit measured)

Sweet list.Can't wait to see you nail them all.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

That's a serious list.  I have no doubt you'll meet it all. 

Sweet list.Can't wait to see you nail them all.

Don't count those chickens just yet.

Happy Nerdaversary! Good goals on your list. Good luck with them. I'm impressed with your 19,000 step average per day, how do you get that much? Figured you being an IT guy you wouldn't get that many steps at work. Are you jogging along with the weight workouts you post about?

When I jog, I'll post it. When we bought the house I live in I insisted that it be in walking distance to light rail and when I looked for a job around the same time I also insisted that it be accessible by light rail. So every morning I commute and hour to work but thirty minutes of that is just walking, rain or shine, freezing or burning up. There's a concept called the slow living movement and while I'm not a wild devotee, I think they have a few things right, it's worth it for me to take twice as long to commute but not have to drive or pay for parking or any of that. We even sold our second car as a result which is why I have half a garage to workout it.

Add to that walking the dog a couple miles a day and it's very common for me to take a walk around downtown for 20 minutes sometime during the day just for a break and that's where I get my average. Since we changed offices around Christmas I also climb 8 floors 2-4 times a day just for something to do. I don't like the new building as much but when I was on the 36th floor I was not going to all the way up from 2.

03/18/2015

long cycle 20 kg x 2, 50, 75

circuit

-box jump (low box) 25

-around the world (10 kg plate) 25

-push up 25

2 rounds

notes

• it's been chilly lately so the bells were very cold. I did a double long warm up to literally warm the bells up by doing swings and giving over my body heat, I think this is a major factor in my first set sucking. Also, I don't think I was relaxed yet. The second set was solid but not all it could be, I just got tired
  • circuit was good if a tad short. I'm keeping myself on a short leash right now, 1 hour only
  • After the big shake up at work last week things are still a mess but I'm taking steps to improve them. I've sent out a few apps locally I've also let some of my friends and peers know that my team is going to likely not be doing what we used to do and should they find a way to pull me off my current team and land me somewhere a little closer to the business and less prone to upheaval, I would be amenable. In the meantime, I'm keeping things afloat. I'm glad it's settling down a bit, I try to avoid this kind of extra crap in my life. 

Edit: other random thing, ok two now that I think of it.

both yesterday and today I fell asleep after work for a twenty minutes or so. Not sure what this says that I'm suddenly napping in the late afternoon but it's a thing.

yesterday when I woke up from said nap I had a weird spasm in my left groin and I couldn't figure out why. I figured it out today. I have a standing desk and I bought yoga block to occasionally put a foot on, stretch out a calf, just give me a different posture, I started screwing around with it, rolling it from side to side using just my feet, sometimes standing on it. It's a big squishy foam block so standing on it is actually kind of challenging, I think that was what got the groin muscle all weird yesterday, apparently I need more of that kind of balance work.

• Like 2

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

When I jog, I'll post it. When we bought the house I live in I insisted that it be in walking distance to light rail and when I looked for a job around the same time I also insisted that it be accessible by light rail. So every morning I commute and hour to work but thirty minutes of that is just walking, rain or shine, freezing or burning up. There's a concept called the slow living movement and while I'm not a wild devotee, I think they have a few things right, it's worth it for me to take twice as long to commute but not have to drive or pay for parking or any of that. We even sold our second car as a result which is why I have half a garage to workout it.

That's one part of living here in Minneapolis I really wish I could take advantage of more.  Just the way my job works out now, public transportation isn't even on option.  I would love to be able to get our household down to one car (well, one daily driven car).  Props to you sir.  

That's one part of living here in Minneapolis I really wish I could take advantage of more.  Just the way my job works out now, public transportation isn't even on option.  I would love to be able to get our household down to one car (well, one daily driven car).  Props to you sir.  

thanks. I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to make the choice. I full realize that it is only from a position of privileged that I can even consider it a choice.

I've been thinking about pinging you for a very self serving question. When NF gets ready to do their next lifting meet, I was wondering if I could come over and lift with you. I don't have access to a bench so I can't test that lift and I don't have enough plates to not make my deadlift.   Mull it over, no sweat if it's a no-go.

• Like 1

thanks. I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to make the choice. I full realize that it is only from a position of privileged that I can even consider it a choice.

I've been thinking about pinging you for a very self serving question. When NF gets ready to do their next lifting meet, I was wondering if I could come over and lift with you. I don't have access to a bench so I can't test that lift and I don't have enough plates to not make my deadlift.   Mull it over, no sweat if it's a no-go.

I'd be happy to have you over long as you don't mind my grunting / he-man yelling.  :P  Although... I'm trying to quit doing that so maybe I'll have it corrected by the new Virtual Meet.  

Never quit He-man yelling and grunting.

03/20/2015

Three Bears Ladder AKA KB Girl Ladder

Long cycle

32 kg, 5 RPM 1 minute

2 minute rest

28 kg, 6 RPM 2 minutes

2 minute rest

24 kg, 7 RPM 3 minutes

rest 5 minutes

repeat ladder

that's it, kept it short and sweet. Meeting Laura and her coworkers for drinks to celebrate and awesome week for them.

because I only did one thing I really got to focus on it and feel it out and I'm going to describe it in painful detail, feel free to skip this bit

before: I got this, it should be easy, I could do this for 3 or even 4 rounds if I had o

1st set: yeah, this is easy, 1 minute

1st rest: this rest is too long, I feel like I'm cooling down, I wonder if I'll have time to do squats after this

2nd set: aww yeah, I got 28kg easy, I wonder how awesome I'll test next week

2nd rest: ok, this feels good, still longish rest

3rd set: what is that? My am I getting short of breath, why is my body panicking, ok peace, peace, one more minute, done

long rest: annoying that video cut out in the second set. Feeling good, not sure what what up in that third set though, that makes me nervous for this next round

4th set (back to 32 kg): whoa, this feels real weird, my rack is in the wrong place, that's ok, this is just a minute, I can do a bad set for a minute

4th rest: man I hope my next two sets don't feel jacked up like that

5th set: ok, getting the rack back, feeling winded a bit but under control, have to push just a little bit to make pace

5th rest: it's only three minutes left, gotta control that panic feeling

6th set: oh, this feels pretty easy. Yeah, I got this

End: probably not a third round in the tank but maybe on a really good day, who can say. I'll go with the same next time but if KB girl has a suggested progression, if next time is doable, it may be time for next steps.

Never quit He-man yelling and grunting.

03/20/2015

Three Bears Ladder AKA KB Girl Ladder

Long cycle

32 kg, 5 RPM 1 minute

2 minute rest

28 kg, 6 RPM 2 minutes

2 minute rest

24 kg, 7 RPM 3 minutes

rest 5 minutes

repeat ladder

that's it, kept it short and sweet. Meeting Laura and her coworkers for drinks to celebrate and awesome week for them.

because I only did one thing I really got to focus on it and feel it out and I'm going to describe it in painful detail, feel free to skip this bit

before: I got this, it should be easy, I could do this for 3 or even 4 rounds if I had o

1st set: yeah, this is easy, 1 minute

1st rest: this rest is too long, I feel like I'm cooling down, I wonder if I'll have time to do squats after this

2nd set: aww yeah, I got 28kg easy, I wonder how awesome I'll test next week

2nd rest: ok, this feels good, still longish rest

3rd set: what is that? My am I getting short of breath, why is my body panicking, ok peace, peace, one more minute, done

long rest: annoying that video cut out in the second set. Feeling good, not sure what what up in that third set though, that makes me nervous for this next round

4th set (back to 32 kg): whoa, this feels real weird, my rack is in the wrong place, that's ok, this is just a minute, I can do a bad set for a minute

4th rest: man I hope my next two sets don't feel jacked up like that

5th set: ok, getting the rack back, feeling winded a bit but under control, have to push just a little bit to make pace

5th rest: it's only three minutes left, gotta control that panic feeling

6th set: oh, this feels pretty easy. Yeah, I got this

End: probably not a third round in the tank but maybe on a really good day, who can say. I'll go with the same next time but if KB girl has a suggested progression, if next time is doable, it may be time for next steps.

Love this write up . I have so many varied thoughts during rest , good to know others do the same thing

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

03/21/2015

long cycle 24 kg x 2, 6:00

long cycle 24 kg x 2. 2:00

circuit

One arm long cycle 

Swing

Jerk

28 kg

10, 10, 5

15, 15, 5

10, 10, 5

notes

The biggest issue today was energy. I started into my second 6 minute long cycle set and this sense of malaise settled over me. I don't know what it is, it tends to happen most often when I do a long set followed by a long rest but I just get this genera sense that I'd rather nap than do whatever it is that I'm trying to do. My sense is that it's simply that my nervous system has overly cooled down (parasympathetic?). I feel like having the rock music up to 11 helps prevent this (today I was working out to my wife's tunes which aren't heavy) but I'm not always sure that is a good thing. 

My workout today was very much like this. I'm ever tempted to crack the tunes to drown out my inner narrative but I'd prefer not to go deaf - the thoughts would still be there !

I think you may have hit the nail on the head about the long rest / long set, though I'm no scientist. I find if I am in a groove it's easier than trying to start up again.

Challenge 1 Completed March 2015: 1 month of kettlebell swings for 10,000 total.

Challenge 2 Started April 2015: 12 months of Wendler 5/3/1, starting with 3 month 'bulk' phase + check-in

Battle Log: Cipher Unlocked

Ahh snow, I think we finally may have seen the last of it around here. But it was a tough winter. Good, but tough.

Also I started a PBP pathfinder group here awhile back, we just finished our first adventure and are looking to add a few more people to the group possibly. Wondering if you'd be interested. It's very casual, mostly a narrative approach to it with little rolling. You'd only have to post 2 times a week basically. Let me know if your interested!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Ok when I get home I'll provide a link to the oov thread but you can find it in the first post in the link in my actual signature.

As far as a role pick what you really want to play and learn about. I tailor the adventure to the group. So if there isn't a Healer don't feel like "oh man some bodies gotta he a healer, guess that's me..."

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Check back tomorrow evening, after I've tested, to find out for sure.

Are you back now?

If I recall, you had a wedding in your future, has that happened?

Yup! I posted some pics and some explaining in a respawn thread. Been doing a few TGU's every couple of days to get all the balance muscles working together again.

• Like 1

Moralitea, Level 2 Flind Assassin
{STR 3|DEX 2|STA 4|CON 4WIS 2|CHA 2}

Incepto Ne Desistam.

Previous Challenges: 1,

well poop. both my cameras failed and I wasn't counting

I completed 6 pretty solid minutes of 28 kg long cycle. Here's the side angle for you, but only 2 minutes because I have way less space on my phone since the last Android update

Here's the front view. It's still uploading so all I can tell you is that it got some minutes but not all

EDIT: it looks like I caught half the set, 3 minutes and it had 16 reps in it.

6 RPM for ten minutes will get me where I'm going. 6 RPM for 10 minutes will earn me CMS at 95kg and 9:30 will get me there for 85 kg. My bodyweight is right between the two. Honestly, If I just stay on track for the next two month, I will probably make it in June. Which will mean that August may be 28 kg or 32 kg depending on my level of confidence. Event thinking that shakes me a bit. Juan Pellot, team USA rep for 2014 is claiming he will lift 32 kg for Nationals. I'd like to stand toe to toes and have  showdown.

I've had a couple G&Ts since training but listening to Jim Wendler on the Barbell Shrugged is rocking my world. You want to hear my mind plugged into someone far more bad ass, go listen to that.

I have every faith that you'll make it an epic show down.

I got it on.

Can you recommend some sites to check out on long cycle or KB sport? My Google-Fu is weak; I keep circling around the same stuff. I need something to look at while at my MILs.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

There is very little on the Long Cycle in the world.

this is the video everyone refers to:

here's the same dude setting a record

here is one of the most prolific online kettlebell coaches talking about long cycle:

https://thierrysanchez.com/tag/kettlebell-long-cycle/

Tonu, the guy in videos with me, has trained under him and had success.

I bow to anything KB Girl has to say but assuming we don't have direct input in the immediate future, what do you want to know more about?