I don't usually remember my dreams but the last two nights I've had anxiety dreams which is really abnormal for me. Last nights was clearly about Saturday. Time for some positive mental imagery and deep breathing.

My girlfriend has the strangest freaking dreams.  And her anxiety dreams are even worse.  It's like someone pours LSD into her brain while she sleeps.

In the mean time, I pretty much never dream/remember them.  But, uh, the last dream I had that I remember involved my brother-in-law's fingers being destroyed by an extremely heavy deadlift/weight lifting accident....  No idea where that one came from.

Good luck on Saturday!  You're going to kill it!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Channeling extra energy into games seems good. What about  stuff that is still a break but somewhat of a workout. Like TGU with a light weight, sledgehammer work, or clubbells.  I try and take a whole week off between challenges, but usually only make it to Wednesday, until I bring out the sledgehammer at least.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Oh you one of those who cant sit still? :D I always thoroughly enjoy my off weeks. Anyways, take a good long easy hike. 

I'll be cheering for you saturday! Most likely in my sleep, but still! 

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

what he said^^

I'm thinking about Monday already and what I'm going to do differently as I change gears from training to gain to training to lose.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/65085-it-is-time-to-wrap-up-this-weightloss-journey/

note: on this browser I don't see all the great options to embed links and format text. it's annoying.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Meet over and my result was pretty meh.40 reps, about my training best.I had hoped to find that platform muse but when I had to press out a couple jerk my motivation faltered.

good news: aerobicly I was in a pretty good place

bad news: overhead strength wasn't where it needed to be and I was not really ready to suffer those last couple minutes.

I see extra jerk practice and longer sets in my next couple months.

I don't feel like the week off really gave me anything.

Sorry it didnt go as hoped. It's always a bit discouraging. Maybe you weren't confident enough going in? That can really block finding the competition mojo.

But hey at least it will be fun figuring out how to continue!

Did you have a good time though? Meet some people? Saw anyone impressive?

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Welcome might stone

Within about 20 minutes of completing my set I found that I was very ok with it. No doubt I would have liked to represent myself better but I referred to this as a tune up meet Nd I hope to treat it as such. I now have some feedback that can drive me for the next 2-3 months, the trip itself was nice. Tonu and I got a. Inch of time in the car to chat, listen to a couple podcasts and just be. We also stopped through downtown Omaha which I have to admit to being a bit dubious on at first but it was really nice. I plan to use this meet as a tune up next year as well but also I hope to meet up with my family there and have an extended visit with all of the,.

A good experience that I will repeat.

Now, back to work

Long cycle 20 kg 100 reps in 10 minutes- completed this goal today. I have the video to upload later

Circuit

Back squat 120 kg x 3

Snatch 24 kg 10/10

Jerks 28 kg x 2, 10 reps

5 rounds

At five rounds my left thigh was starting to get a Charlie horse kind of feel that tells me I can push on but if it do I will pay for it for days.

Cipher we be glad to know I pulled some Avenged Sevenfold for the circuit portion of my program.

Tomorrow I try and buckle down on the diet. Keep me honest. I prepared 300 g of sweet potatoes and 500 g of ground beef to be the majority of my work time food for the next couple days. I need to do some more math to see what else needs to go in there, probably some oatmeal.

Tomorrow night Laura has a work function at a local park so i prepped more meet and veggies to cook on the grill there. If people don't eat it then I have my lunches for the week. If the do eat it I will need to restock late this week.

Training plan for the week is

Monday off

Tuesday 24kg long cycle, 8 minutes to see how it feels

Wednesday off

Thursday 28 kg long cycle, multiple 5 minute sets

Friday 20 kg, 12 minutes

Saturday probably just jog

Sunday charity thing in the morning but try to lift in the afternoon, thinking long cycle 28 kg 90/60, 7 rounds

As mentioned above, this week I start working on dropping some pounds

This week I start working with a coworker to prepare for the stair limb in a month. Opening with 5 climbs a day, 1000 steps up total

I keep wondering if/how I could integrate 30 minutes of sitting in a squat position per day. I've never quite convinced myself I have an approach figured out

This week also represents week 1 of phase 2 of that massive project I've been on for six months. It's kind of like leveling up. The challenges get harder but I get some awesome new daily and encounter powers. Unfortunately I multiclassed so I'm a level 1 developer/ level 1 project manager.

Tomorrow really feels like a Day 1 in a lot of good ways. I'm excited.

Sorry you thought you didn't live up to expectations during your meet. But it sounds like you figured some things out while you were there. I like your ability to access your performance. I've also enjoyed seeing the process of how you got to where you are.

What podcasts did you and Tonu listen to when you were on the road? I've been listening to Barbell Shrugged ever since you mentioned it a while back. I'll never do what they're doing but I love their energy.

If you get the chance you should give the Tim Ferriss interview of Arnold Schwarzenegger a listen. I read Tim's book The Four Hour Work Week and thought it was mostly a bunch of bunk and therefore never gave his podcast a chance, but he interviews really well.

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

We listened to Intelligence Squared, a debate podcast. I don't recall the other titles, he had Radiolab, "Sex, death and " something I can't recall, a few others but the names are escaping me. Very much in the NPR vein.

I really enjoy Barbells Shrugged. One of the things I get from them is listening for guests I like who have their own podcast then spinning off to those. That's how I started listening to Sealfit, Power Athlete Radio, Paleo Solutions and couple others.

I'll try to listen to the Tim Ferriss podcast later today.

Monday

no training but I ended up cooking for Laura's social thing. It was in a park where it was cold and wet. I found two grills and got them both going. I cooked 3 pounds beef, chicken, sweet potatoes and zucchini skewers EACH, 12 pounds of food. I ran back and forth from grill to grill and back to the shelter with finished food. 

Between that and stair climbing at work I netted 27,900 steps and 96 floors climbed.

Tuesday

Frankly, I felt beat up after Sunday and Monday.Our schedule for  the rest of the week was looking a little muddled. Also, the medical students ate all my food for the rest of the week. So we swapped tonight's menu to breakfast burritos (which were awesome), grocery shopping, food prep for my lunches for the week and recovery. 

The plan for the rest of the week is:

Wednesday - 24 kg 8 minutes

Thursday - 28 kg 5 minutes, 2+ rounds

Friday - Off (trying  a new menu item Laura made up, sweet potato skin nachos)

Saturday - 20 kg 12 minutes

Sunday - 28 kg 90/60, 7+ rounds

Friday - Off (trying a new menu item Laura made up, sweet potato skin nachos)

This baffles me. Every time I've done a sweet potato in any form, the skin never seems like it can cook to a point where it is sturdy enough to support nacho toppings. Will you be explaining after Friday? Pleaseandthankyou?

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Hmm the sweet potato skins sound pretty good. I've seen chips made with them but never tried. Gives me ideas though!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

The skins may be a disaster, we'll see. She found a couple recipes that call for baking the sweet potatoes whole for something like an hour. Pulling them out, scraping out the guts (for eating later) then baking just the skins for a while. In the mean time I'll prep my usual nacho fixings (two kinds of cheese, peppers, onions, seasoned beef) which will go in the skins. 

I'll definitely report back, this is totally and experiment but worst case, I have deliciously seasoned beef and some mashed sweet potatoes.

• Like 2

As mentioned above, this week I start working on dropping some pounds

This week I start working with a coworker to prepare for the stair limb in a month. Opening with 5 climbs a day, 1000 steps up total

I keep wondering if/how I could integrate 30 minutes of sitting in a squat position per day. I've never quite convinced myself I have an approach figured out

This week also represents week 1 of phase 2 of that massive project I've been on for six months. It's kind of like leveling up. The challenges get harder but I get some awesome new daily and encounter powers. Unfortunately I multiclassed so I'm a level 1 developer/ level 1 project manager.

Tomorrow really feels like a Day 1 in a lot of good ways. I'm excited.

I hope the week's going well for you.  Surely have more than one level in developer.  I really have no idea what your new encounter powers might be, but it sounds cool.

Why sitting in a squat for so long?  There must be a diminishing returns point much sooner than that.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I hope the week's going well for you.  Surely have more than one level in developer.  I really have no idea what your new encounter powers might be, but it sounds cool.

Why sitting in a squat for so long?  There must be a diminishing returns point much sooner than that.

yeah, I probably should be a higher level but developer but I have no idea what level, maybe Developer 10/Project Management 1

the idea behind the 30 minutes squat challenge is that it's an unloaded squat, ass to the grass. Many Americans never drop below parallel in their daily life whereas in history and certain large sections of the world this is the rest position of choice. So it's more about reclaiming that part of mobility and less about strength training. Also, you are allowed to break it up as you need. So, for example, I could hang out in the squat for a few minutes while the dog eats her breakfast. I could do five minutes waiting on the train. Maybe after lunch I do a few minutes and so on. By the end of the day I've done 30 minutes over five, six or even ten sets.

05/14/2015

training sucked.

I was pretty psyched for gym time but got all bummed out prior to the workout due to a conversation with Laura in which we discussed how Target seems to be getting worse and that I need to start looking around.

I warmed up

I got 2 minutes into 28kg set and couldn't keep my mind on what I was doing

I tried starting some barbell work and just couldn't

I called it.

a gift to everyone

and one more