Official review of the sweet potato nachos: fantastic.

I poked the potatoes with a fork then baked them at 350 for and hour. I then scraped out about half of the flesh and put my nacho fixins in there and put them pack in the oven for 10-15 minutes. They were great last night and reheated wonderfully today at noon.

Last night we went out with friends, drank beer, ate bad food and stayed out late.

05/16/2015

Long cycle 28 kg, 5 reps EMOM x 19

I was going for 20 but a callus started to tear so I called it.

Short on time so that was it but that was pretty good,

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

05/17/2015

Ladder 10-> 6

Circuit 1

Back squat 100 kg

KB swing L 32 kg

KB swing R 32 kg

KB jerk L 32 kg

KB jerk R 32 kg

Circuit 2

Deadlift 100 kg

KB press L 24 kg

KB press R 24 kg

Lunge L 16 kg

Lunge R 16 kg

The rare "no long cycle" workout. I just felt like doing something different. Also my hands felt like crap from yesterday.

05/18

last week

a little light on training but heavy on activity. I got the weightloss train on the right foot.

this week

Striving for more weight loss. I should make sub 201 by this time next week. Looking at myself, I'm about as lean as I was last year at my low weight in the mid 190's. It looks like I've gained some muscle since then. 

This week I'll strive for 4-5 workouts but I will still be doing some of my workday stair training which does impact my training. Also, today I am sore as hell from yesterday's double metcon.

• Monday - Game night
  • Tuesday - Long cycle 24 kg 6/6 x 3 - will I finally do this??
  • Wednesday - LC 28 kg 90/60 x 7, 8 RPM
  • Thursday - Metcon, jog
  • Friday - off
  • Saturday - Long Cycle 28 kg 5/5
  • Sunday - Long Cycle 20 kg 12:00

Official review of the sweet potato nachos: fantastic.

I poked the potatoes with a fork then baked them at 350 for and hour. I then scraped out about half of the flesh and put my nacho fixins in there and put them pack in the oven for 10-15 minutes. They were great last night and reheated wonderfully today at noon.

Interesting. I'm envisioning this as a potato skin (like you'd get as an appetizer) with nacho fillings. Originally I thought it was literally like nachos, but with sweet potato skin "chips" instead of tortillas. I'll have to give it a shot.

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Sorry to hear the meet wasn't to your expectations, but at least you performed to your training best and it seems you got some helpful feedback / takeaways according to your follow up post. I like the way you're thinking about it as a tune-up meet. That's a very positive and constructive approach.

The potato skins sound awesome. I'm tired of sweet potatoes, as I've been eating them either mashed, cubed and roasted, or baked. Even Staci's suggestion of using cinnamon gets old after the 345839029th time!

I'm going to check out some of the podcasts you mentioned, they sound really interesting.

Challenge 1 Completed March 2015: 1 month of kettlebell swings for 10,000 total.

Challenge 2 Started April 2015: 12 months of Wendler 5/3/1, starting with 3 month 'bulk' phase + check-in

Battle Log: Cipher Unlocked

The sweet potatoes were a real surprise. I, like mightstone was imagining a very thing skin, like a potato skin. The "boat" solution seemed to work really well.

05/19/2015

long cycle 24 kg 6:00

run 5 km

I started doing my long cycle set and was reminded very quickly that I had started to tear off a callus on Saturday (I had all but forgotten about it). In minute 5 it tore. It didn't hurt and my 6 minute set felt pretty good but I knew if I kept going I'd rip it off completely and it would hurt. So I decided to put down the bells until I could clean up the tear. It's annoying to lose a very good training session but I'm a little proud that I at least took advantage of the time and got a run in.

• Like 1

So the sweet potato stuff was a sucess? Good to hear!

I made sweet potato nachos. Didn't cook all of them long enough so they where too sweet tasting And less chip like...

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

05/21, 05/22, 05/23 - off all three days

05/24

long cycle 28 kg 90 on/60 off x 6

EMOM 

- clean 80 kg

- burpee x 3

notes

I had forgotten about tearing the callus early in the week so wen I tore it really bad on this workout I was a little surprised

05/25

h2h 1/2 snatch 15:00 20 kg

loaded carries

still nursing a sore hand.

I got a new bike on saturday. My last several bikes have sucked to ride but this one is a joy, at least so far. I look forward to doing much more with it.

Nice.  I love the urban commuter genre, it does just about everything anyone might want to do.  When people ask me for bike advice I usually tell them to check out Specialized and Raleigh (and Marin), they tend to be speced out well and intelligently for the different price points (not so much at the real high end though).

Is this going to cut down on your 1,000,000 steps a day habit?

Are you gaining XP in Project Developer?

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Love new bikes. It evokes the joy of childhood freedom. May it continue to be comfortable.

One month to go. Keep it up, it looks like your workouts are going well.

Challenge 1 Completed March 2015: 1 month of kettlebell swings for 10,000 total.

Challenge 2 Started April 2015: 12 months of Wendler 5/3/1, starting with 3 month 'bulk' phase + check-in

I've been depressed most of the week. My elbows are hurting from a ton of pull ups I did a few weeks ago and they just keep hurting, my workouts have been poor and when at work I just keep thinking "I don't want to be here". As a result my workouts have been crap and I started gaining weight. Also, I've not felt like doing anything else. 

Today I have two phone interviews and my interview from yesterday got bumped to Monday.

05/27/2015

warmed up, tried to start training and nothing felt good. Bailed after 30 minutes

05/28/2015

long cycle 28 kg 3:00 on/3:00 off x 4

started working on a squat set but my left knee felt dumb with anything over 200lbs so I decided to take the win of the kettlebell set going well and get out.

tomorrow I'm doing a charity thing where I climb all the steps in the local college football stadium. that will wreck me for training for the weekend.

Hey Man, I'm sorry you're having a tough time.  When you disappeared I assumed you were too busy with your awesomeness.  If you need me to I'll  come by and count reps, yell "It's all you Bro!", or try to keep up with your workouts so you can feel all superior and stuff.  Serious offer.

Now go kill those interviews.

e01724df4782514e206d60de2540ed7e.jpg

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Sorry  it's been tough. Hoping the interviews go well, and that you may get excited about a new job.

Have you tried carb cycling or just upping your carbs some? If I remember correctly, you eat pretty low carb. Maybe its time to add in some. Or just up your calories in total, maybe your body is saying it needs more food. It could just be job stress too. 

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

game question:

I'm looking for a cooperative board game. I played Robinson Crusoe, and it was super fun, and was thinking of getting it. But it is out of print and thus $$$. The thing I liked about it, was how you all played at once. No waiting around for everyone to take their turns. Do you know any good board games like that, where you all sort of work together to win or lose?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hey man sorry to hear things arent 100 percent right now. I hope the interviews go well man, I know what its like to be at a job that you don't want to be at.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

If it makes you feel any better I was humiliated by the "iron" today.  Brought the weights outside to try some Oly stuff in the beautiful weather.  Oh man... couldn't get anything to move right.  Front rack was terrible, could figure out my Snatch form.  Just a terrible day.  

But, hope you are feeling better.  We all get there.  It happens.  Sometimes it takes 2 days to get out of the funk.  Sometimes it takes 2 months.  I'm hoping in your case it's the former.  And if ever need a lifting buddy, just let me know.  I know it's not the best offer to workout with a "stranger" as a fix, but whatever.... I'm nearby and I like moving heavy things.  :)

Sorry you're feeling low, it's always worst when multiple things go to sh*t at the same time. At least your elbow will sort itself soon.

Want to take a picture of your overhead position from the side for me?

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Thanks to you each.

Things are improving. I'm lucky to have good wife who lets ,e be quiet and listens when I need to talk. I was getting sullen and quiet last week and she'd ask and I'd say I wasn't ready tot talk she'd let it go. This week, when I needs to tLk, she'd listen. Sometimes she'd just listen, sometimes she'd ask questions and make suggestions. This weekend she asked more questions and made more suggestions.

Also, I think I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a week but I think it's about time that came to a close as well.

First, training stuff then probably a lot of words that meander various causes, effects and motivations

05/29 off

05/30

Climb 4 kids charity event

I ran the steps of TCF Bank stadium, all of them. It took about an hour. I wore my Fitbit and saw that it had me clocked at 170+ steps and I thought, I'll never be this close to 200 again so I took a double walk with the dog over the hilliest area close to me to hit 200 steps per Fitbit.

06/01

very light, I rode my bike for about 90 minutes but not straight through like Sloth would have done. One of my coworkers got me started on this phone game called Ingress. It uses the GPS on my phone to show me where "portals" are. If the portals belong to the other team I can use in-game weapons to try and take them over. The last couple of Sundays I rode around and smashed portals in my region. Today I rode over into St. Paul and took over the water tower. I'll never be a biker but that bike is really nice to ride.

This week

Monday off

Tuesday maybe off, we'll see

Wednesday 28 kg ladder down from 5:00

Thursday 20 kg 12:00

Friday off

Saturday 24 kg 6:00 x 3

Sunday 20 kg 12:00

Here comes the long winded part:

Job stuff

It has become clear to me over the past month that I couldn't stay at Target like I would like. Last fall I started dropping an app into our local university as I saw fit. They never called back. That was motivated by my dawning realization that I love down analytics work but I especially love doing with healthcare data and I'm pretty good at it. Target, however, is just beginning to realize how the Affordable Care Act will affect them and I think they have a lot of hard decisions ahead of them, one that I think they will be very slow in facing. I want to be working somewhere that I believe will make these hard choices and Ipwill come out the other side as amfully committed healthcare organization, there is no room for half-assed-ness in this world.

With the layoffs some acuteness was added as the way the reorg was handled hasn't impressed me. As I've watched it has spiraled further out of control with no intelligent signs of recovery. What I have seen is a lot of rhetoric with no action about how we're now an organization that embraces action over rhetoric.

Friday I had two phone interviews, one with a hospital and one with a local payer and clinical organization, looking to hire me as data analyst. One of the, is in my sweet spot because they need a pharmacy data analyst. There are probably fewer than a hundred people in the nation if not world that have more experience doing that than I do. The other needs a clinical data analyst which requires more growth from me but is in the direction I'd like to go. Both seem interested although I'm asking for the higher end of what they're offering to pay.

Tomorrow I have an additional phone interview and I should hear back on one of the positions this week. I'm hoping that they will want to talk to me some more. In the mean time, that big project that I fought to keep I house at target rolls on. I'm doing my best to not leave the, stranded by really getting the two members of my team fully up on not just what they need to do but the big how and why. Eventually, when I get the rest of the team, I want to have these two ready to lead so I can step away. I'm going to leave some peop,e angry and dealing betrayed but I told them from day one that this was never designed for me to lead or for my advancement, it was designed to be the best choice for the company

Training stuff

Training has sucked lately. Actually it's kind of sucked since last fall. I really feel like I've made no progress since November, possibly even lost ground. This could come down to a lot of factors, to numerous to list. I'm inclined to say i had to cut homogeny in my training, not enough variety to push adaptation. I've been struggling all spring to stay motivated while pushing the same weights. All the work stuff added to that was more than I could push through. So my training the last couple weeks has felt nonexistent. Even when I do train it's garbage.

I need to change things up for my mind and body in the coming weeks.

Competition stuff

Laura put an idea on the table today that I'm very seriously considering, not lifting in nationals.if I'm going to spend July learning a new job then I'm not going to be Anywhere near the right head space to do my best August 1. The flatline I my progress says I'm not competing for the top spot anyway. I would need to be lifting a full bell size heavier.

Coaching stuff

Laura is pushing me to coach again and I have to say the idea is really appealing to me. I'm trying to figure out how I get started but I'd like to call on my local nerds. If you are interested in doing an hour of super basic stuff with, let me know. No cost, this is you doing me a favor. If you're up to learn the swear, the clean and the press on kettlebells, I'd like to show you my version. In addition, if you want to talk about non kettlebell training, I'm here's. Message me and we'll pick a weekend morning or weekday evening, you can come by my garage or I can meet you somewhere. You get to practice some lifts, I'll practice some demonstrations and talking.

There's more in my brain but it's getting late and I hate typing on this iPad. I will come check out your threads tomorrow, I promise.

• Like 2

Your attitue never ceases to impress me. I think you've taken a pragmatic approach to a frustrating situation. Congrats on the steps and cycling, and finding the positives out of all this e.g. possibility of coaching. I'd come by if I lived half a world closer.

I'm sorry training hasn't felt like much progress and especially with the garbage going on at work.

It sounds like you have some very good leads in areas that interest you and I'm optimistic that, whatever, the outcome, you'll make it work.

While there may be a lot going on, how do you feel about competing for the sake of doing it instead of placing? I know some may feel worse if they competed without doing as well as they hoped, but might there be some value in going to the nationals, just for the sake of going itself? Then there's no expectation of performance.